Options

[Impeachment] for ... Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Giuliani will son just be Trump's coffee boy.

DC Examiner reporter:
    Trump won't say if Rudy Giuliani is still his attorney

'I dont know. I haven't spoken to Rudy... he has been my attorney'

OMG are we on the brink of Rudy being the coffee boy?

I'm squee-ing at the thought.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

The violations of civil liberties and constitutionally mandated due process, are stacking up. Denying POTUS the right to receive transcripts of testimony, access evidence, call witnesses, cross-examine, and many other basic rights! Never in US history! Never again.

Rudy Giuliani is, inexplicably, a lawyer... the president's lawyer

Is he being willfully ignorant about the impeachment process, or is he just the worst lawyer of all time?

Por que no los dos?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    This bus is really uncomfortable. Bumpy, you know?

the administration right now is basically that scene in hotel rwanda except not horrifying or tragic

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Giuliani will son just be Trump's coffee boy.

DC Examiner reporter:
    Trump won't say if Rudy Giuliani is still his attorney

'I dont know. I haven't spoken to Rudy... he has been my attorney'

Barely know him, he just gets the coffee.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Is he being willfully ignorant about the impeachment process, or is he just the worst lawyer of all time?

Por que no los dos?

it’s not the worst play if you’re banking on the american people being ignorant of the differences between impeachment and a criminal trial

which i mean

probably most people

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I should not have to point out that a person quitting Fox News is not on topic here.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Por que no los dos?

it’s not the worst play if you’re banking on the american people being ignorant of the differences between impeachment and a criminal trial

which i mean

probably most people

One googly-eyed animal to another, I think Rudy is so senile there's no way this is an intentional strategy instead of just random flailing

• Options

Por que no los dos?

which i mean

probably most people

One googly-eyed animal to another, I think Rudy is so senile there's no way this is an intentional strategy instead of just random flailing

also entirely possible

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Santa Claustrophobia was warned for this.
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Jephery wrote: »
    So we're pretty sure now that Fox and Murdoch are doubling down on Trump. Definitely seems like the entire Republican apparatus is compromised and they're circling the wagons.

If trumptv launches, fox news will cease to have a reason to exist

FOXNews just had a position become available.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    Well, they are sort of right that Trump will be denied "transcripts of testimony, access evidence, call witnesses, cross-examine, and many other basic rights" because there won't be a trial in the Senate, McConnell will just hold a fast vote and the GOP will vote to keep him in office.

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

Por que no los dos?

which i mean

probably most people

Nah, this sounds very similar to noise that the administration (or maybe it was just Guliani) were making last week. I thought maybe McCarthy was making a fuss about this not being treated like a criminal trial?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »

Por que no los dos?

which i mean

probably most people

Nah, this sounds very similar to noise that the administration (or maybe it was just Guliani) were making last week. I thought maybe McCarthy was making a fuss about this not being treated like a criminal trial?

For people who wish they could anthropomorphize the Constitution so they could fuck it, they sure haven’t read it

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

The violations of civil liberties and constitutionally mandated due process, are stacking up. Denying POTUS the right to receive transcripts of testimony, access evidence, call witnesses, cross-examine, and many other basic rights! Never in US history! Never again.

Por que no los dos?

“This has never happened before and we will not let it happen again” is some real flawless logic

Unless “Never again” is like a knee-jerk 9/11 reference to go with all those nouns and verbs

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Rudy "nineleven" Giuliani being a series of paradoxical truths in a human suit means this is going to be very interesting/depressing/hilarious as things move forward. I predict he both tries to throw the administration under the bus and defend it at the same time, as is his tradition.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    "never again" is one of Rudy's stock phrases

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/11/lev-parnas-giuliani-trump-private-party-044698
    In fact, Lev Parnas described himself to a foreign correspondent at the cash-bar event in midtown Manhattan as a friend of the president-elect who didn’t live far from his south Florida winter home.

Parnas arrived at Trump’s November 2016 election night party, which was held in a ballroom at the Midtown Hilton, with two other men in suits and their heavily made-up wives, according to a forgotten but newly relevant dispatch from the event published at the time in Le Figaro, France’s oldest daily newspaper.

The Ukrainian-born businessman told the paper that a friend from his hometown of Boca Raton, Florida, had hosted several fundraising events for Trump and that his daughter had traveled around the state singing on the candidate’s behalf. It is not clear what friend Parnas was referring to.
    Giuliani attended the same party, as did Felix Sater, a former executive at the Trump Organization who had a double life as a convicted criminal and a high-level cooperator for the CIA. Sater, who told POLITICO earlier this month that he knows Parnas, said Friday that he did not interact with him at the party.
    Parnas posted a photo of himself with Trump at the White House on May 1, 2018, with a caption describing an “incredible dinner and even better conversation,” according to a screenshot captured by The Campaign Legal Center. Another picture Parnas posted from May 21, 2018 shows him with Fruman and Donald Trump Jr. in Beverly Hills, with the capiton “Power Breakfast!!!”

Trump dismissed the photos “because I have a picture with everybody.”

The White House hasn’t explained why Parnas and Fruman were meeting with the president; a spokesman referred questions about the event to the Trump campaign, and Trump campaign communications director Tim Murtaugh did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
    In retrospect, maybe all the criminals around Trump should have been a bigger clue to a lot of people that he was a crook.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Por que no los dos?

which i mean

probably most people

For people who wish they could anthropomorphize the Constitution so they could fuck it, they sure haven’t read it

Constitution-chan.

There is now a franchise that makes treaties, the Magna Carta and other such legally-binding documents into anime girls.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

Por que no los dos?

which i mean

probably most people

yeah he definitely knows that this is just the investigation phase and there's no reasonable or constitutional expectation that the president should be able to inject himself into it at this point

this is just an effort to shift public opinion against it

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/politics/donald-trump-rudy-giuliani-ukraine-fallout/index.html
    These aides have told Trump that Giuliani was only damaging his defense -- and after Thursday's arrests, Trump has raised his own questions privately about Giuliani's culpability, according to people familiar with his concerns.
    Asked by CNN Thursday if he feared his personal attorney could be indicted potentially, Trump said: "I hope not."

He then put distance between himself and the actions undertaken by his lawyer.

"You know, he's got a lot of clients. So, I just don't know. I haven't spoken to Rudy about it, I don't know," Trump said.

Everybody should have seen this coming!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Man, Trump is just going to pull down everyone around him, like someone being chased through a fruit market knocking over stands and trashcans as he flees his pursuers.

• Options
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/politics/donald-trump-rudy-giuliani-ukraine-fallout/index.html
    These aides have told Trump that Giuliani was only damaging his defense -- and after Thursday's arrests, Trump has raised his own questions privately about Giuliani's culpability, according to people familiar with his concerns.
    Asked by CNN Thursday if he feared his personal attorney could be indicted potentially, Trump said: "I hope not."

He then put distance between himself and the actions undertaken by his lawyer.

"You know, he's got a lot of clients. So, I just don't know. I haven't spoken to Rudy about it, I don't know," Trump said.

Everybody should have seen this coming!

If he’s so goddamn busy with his clients why were you asking him to conduct illegal diplomacy under the table

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I keep wondering what the tipping point is actually going to be.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I know it's not a criminal trial but I did think if there actually is an impeachment, there would be two sides presenting an argument one way or another.

I thought the issue was that we're not actually in an impeachment trial, as there hasn't actually been an impeachment vote... they're gathering info. logically trump could also me gathering his own info to present should this actually go to trial, ie impeachment.

if they're even more wrong than I thought... well, I won't be even a little bit surprised since I know nothing and they're more ignorant than I am.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I know it's not a criminal trial but I did think if there actually is an impeachment, there would be two sides presenting an argument one way or another.

I thought the issue was that we're not actually in an impeachment trial, as there hasn't actually been an impeachment vote... they're gathering info. logically trump could also me gathering his own info to present should this actually go to trial, ie impeachment.

if they're even more wrong than I thought... well, I won't be even a little bit surprised since I know nothing and they're more ignorant than I am.

We are currently in the inquiry to bring articles of impeachment (think of them as the list of charges in court) to a vote in the House. The House acts more like a mix of the police and prosecutors office at the moment.

If the vote succeeds with a majority the articles are sent to the Senate. The Senate holds a trial/discussion presided over by the Chief Justice. Then a vote which for removal requires a 2/3 majority.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

We are currently in the inquiry stage, where the House gathers information and assembles articles of impeachment, which eventually there is a House vote on (similar to a grand jury, but a political process instead of a criminal one)

You do not get to do things like cross examine witnesses or present evidence while the police are investigating you; likewise, the president does not get to do these things when the House is looking into impeachable offenses

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

Once articles of impeachment are passed, then the Senate would usually hold what amounts to a political trial. All the trappings of a criminal trial, but without jail time as a direct possible result. Unless Mitch goes "lolnope" and then maybe we get a voice vote to agree that we would never agree on impeachment and we should all move on.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Por que no los dos?

This administration has given the Internet so many uses for the “that’s not how any of this works” clip that I think that actress should be getting royalties for it.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

Por que no los dos?

which i mean

probably most people

Rudy, we'll impeach and remove him, making him eligible for prosecution, at which point we'd be glad to give you copies of the info.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    akrautakraut Unregistered User Registered User regular
    Trump dismissed the photos “because I have a picture with everybody.”

While that's probably true, he just failed to realize it's because of the FBI van across the street snapping photos of him meeting with everyone.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Por que no los dos?

which i mean

probably most people

No this is actually the strategy. It lines up - minority in the house claiming they're being silenced and demanding due process, the leaked talking points (both sets), Trump's refusal to hand over documents, Rudy's comment here, it's all adding up to an attempt to undermine the legitimacy of the impeachment before it occurs.

This is orchestrated and intentional - it's the angle they've settled on. Whether it works is open but it's a repeat of Mueller, but things are moving much faster now.

• Options
    also rudy standing up defiant in defense of trump at the same time trump is distancing himself is probably not a coincidence

rudy knows who’s next standing in front of the trump bus

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The previous bullshit worked against mueller because of how long it took to come out, and they were able to control the message. This just kind of continually blows up more and more everyday, and you have complete idiots like Rudy on news shows admitting to crimes we didn't even know yet, you can't control this message.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    The previous bullshit worked against mueller because of how long it took to come out, and they were able to control the message. This just kind of continually blows up more and more everyday, and you have complete idiots like Rudy on news shows admitting to crimes we didn't even know yet, you can't control this message.

Also, the Mueller report being longer than 8 pages. People actually read the memo and the Whistleblower report.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Por que no los dos?

which i mean

probably most people

No this is actually the strategy. It lines up - minority in the house claiming they're being silenced and demanding due process, the leaked talking points (both sets), Trump's refusal to hand over documents, Rudy's comment here, it's all adding up to an attempt to undermine the legitimacy of the impeachment before it occurs.

This is orchestrated and intentional - it's the angle they've settled on. Whether it works is open but it's a repeat of Mueller, but things are moving much faster now.

Rudy's tweet here is just repeating the same talking points in Kevin McCarthy's demands to Pelosi last week.

The messaging itself was crafted with focused intent, but whether Rudy's recent regurgitation of it is calculated strategy, or a panicked plea to not be coffee-boy'd, is anyone's guess today.

Also: Why is there a single word for being thrown out of a window but not under a bus?

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    Doc wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Why aren't any of those reporters pushing him on his bs.
    Trump is a petulant, spoilt brat.
    The more pressure you apply the more he will squirm and rant and rage and actively sabotage himself in an attempt to make all the demands for accountability stop.

This is why they started doing press in front of a running helicopter engine. Trump can ignore questions he doesn't like, or literally just fly away if things get bad.

Shit, it's why Colbert's Late Show has an entire segment called Chopper Talk dedicated to Trump.
    shryke wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    Man, they’re really playing Nixon’s greatest hits aren’t they?

While the obvious comparison is well... obvious, it's not quite accurate.

The issue is twofold.

1) The President can legally withhold the payment to Ukraine.
    2) The President CANNOT abuse his power.

The statement from the OMB appears to be specifically referring to the first one. There could be any number of valid reasons for a President to withhold payment. Maybe there's credible reports that the Ukrainian government is compromised, or that they've just done something that needs to be resolved before the President feels needs to be sorted out before the payment is made. That's two reasons.

That rule 2 was abused doesn't change the legality of rule 1. It's rule 2 that was broken here.

I can ask a stranger for money, and outside of maybe certain "anti-begging" laws, that's fine. I do it in a menacing voice, while pointing a pistol at them, then it's a crime. It's not the request (or in the example above, the withholding) that's the problem here.

Isn’t that just the same thing but with more words?

The president technically can withhold money if he has a legal justification. He did not have a legal justification. It was therefore an illegal withholding of money. OMB says if the President does it, it’s not illegal as justification.

Ergo, Nixon’s greatest hits.

Edit: fucking Siri

I think it depends on the timing. The OMB appears to be making the decision on legality of withholding in mid-July (at least from what I can figure the timing from the article), well before the knowledge that the reason behind it was illegal.

President say no.
    Pentagon says but we want to send it.
    OMB says the President can say no without reason (with the understanding that as long as it's not for illegal reasons).
    *several months later*
    President's reasons are found to be illegal.

Now, for the Nixon comparison to be more accurate, the OMB would have to have known about the President's illegal reason before issuing the ruling. Doesn't appear that was the case.

Fair enough.

But if DoD was saying it’s illegal, what was OMB’s justification for its legality aside from the Nixon defense?

The timing thing you have to add in there that the DoD did tell OMB that it wasn’t legal before the memo came out.

The Nixon defence is not "The President has authority to do this", it's "If the President does it, it's not illegal".

OMB's justification here, as far as I can tell, is the first not the second. In much the same way that leaking classified data would be illegal except if the President says you can because the President has the authority to contradict that. They are saying the President has the authority to do this here, not that it's illegal to do it but because the President did it it's fine.

Except Trump didn’t have the authority to do this. From the article:
    The Pentagon went so far as to conduct its own legal analysis of the holds, determining that they were illegal. A government official confirmed that such an analysis took place. So did several Capitol Hill staffers. They all described the conclusion of that analysis in similar terms.
    At that point, the budget office revealed that the holds were authorized at the direction of the president, which, in effect, made them legal.

DoD said this is illegal. No if, ands, buts, or exceptions.

OMB’s defense isn’t some kind of technically correct horseshit on Thursdays if you cross your eyes and spin twice in a circle, like the President’s discretion over classified material. It was completely illegal and their only given justification is that Trump is the president. That’s it.

It’s straight Nixon defense.

That's what DoD's people think. OMB seem to disagree.

Necessary context for OMB's legal analysis:

WH Counsel has tried to argue that impeachment is unconstitutional
    DOJ has tried to argue that NY State can't investigate the finances of the President or his family

So I'm gonna go with the DOD on this one over the department run by the WH Chief of staff. Idk, maybe I'm biased.

Shit, in regards to the OMB siding with Trump on withholding the funds to Ukraine, their entire argument is literally the Palpatine defense - "Then I will make it legal."

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    My blackened little heart will only know joy again when Trump hauls off and fastballs Rudy underneath the bus.

God it will be a beautiful thing.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Also: Why is there a single word for being thrown out of a window but not under a bus?

subpubconveyance?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Por que no los dos?

which i mean

probably most people

Rudy's tweet here is just repeating the same talking points in Kevin McCarthy's demands to Pelosi last week.

The messaging itself was crafted with focused intent, but whether Rudy's recent regurgitation of it is calculated strategy, or a panicked plea to not be coffee-boy'd, is anyone's guess today.

Windows are older. Speedbumped?

In any event, I don't really see the talking points being particularly useful outside of the people who will always support Trump. Especially not for news coverage, since reporters understand this is an investigation, not a trial, and are unlikely to even half assedly pretend it's legitimate. Especially with Republicans sitting on the damn committees pretending to be shocked at testimony.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

subpubconveyance?

Refenderstrate. I hope that old ghoul Rudy goes down quick. It's one thing to be senile and stupid. It's another to aid and abet senile and stupid for your own gain. Sometimes I think I hate him more than Trump himself.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

The act of defenestration in Prague started a war. Then two hundred years later started another war

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestration

Throwing someone under the bus just doesn't have that kind of street cred

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
This discussion has been closed.