As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Man. I got creamed on my first expedition. I'll admit the first trial was my fault. Wasn't paying attention to what I was building. 0-2

Second trial was looking good. Had a decent Elusive deck. Won 2, was feeling good then hit 2 perfectly built stun / recall Yasuo decks in a row that may have well been optimized constructed decks. Got close on the second one then he dropped the girl that kicks your guys back and it was over.

Here's to hoping my second Expedition payed for with a weeks worth of shards goes better.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Other expedition thoughts:

I think it's much better to pick one of your two initial champions to double down on with your later champion picks. You can coordinate a much more cohesive and powerful strategy and line up your combos. With my Ashe deck, having three Ashe was crucial to victory, in many situations she was my best win condition and I built the deck to consider that. You should think long and hard before adding a new, different champion. Sometimes a given champion isn't worth adding at all without support. If your deck isn't tailored to Fiora, I'm not convinced she's going to do a ton of work for you.

Try to draft a limited number of factions in general. Unlike Magic, you're much better able to force specific factions and archetypes. This will help you a LOT with card evaluation since you'll get a lot of experience with a few of the factions instead of scattered experience. So now you know "Oh, I can take any number of denies. Give me all of the denies." or that you only need 1-2 vile feasts because they're relatively dead cards later.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Yeah my first expedition did not go well. 2 wins then 3 wins on the trials.
    The first trial of the second expedition is looking better so far. I have enough resources already to manage the 3 buy ins this week but if I don't manage a 7 win run in any of the six trials I imagine it might be tough to hit the full three runs next week.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    What's the card tjat spends all your mana for damage? I had 5 of those in my 7 win deck and a couple of the 7 cost "kill a unit" spells. I always try to pick removal as that's what I remember from my magic drafting days. What was the old acronym ? Bread?

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    First expedition was shroom-heavy, but got some rough RNG to stall out at 2 wins. (2 games in a row had like 40 shrooms in a guy's deck, only needed 2 to win, only pulled a card with 1. I know it happens, but _oof_.)

Second, I tried to build a Poro deck. Advice? DON'T. They're pretty slow to get rolling, not especially hard to counter, and require a pretty good spread of supporting cards that you can't rely on drafting. 0 wins, and neither game was particularly close.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    What's the card tjat spends all your mana for damage? I had 5 of those in my 7 win deck and a couple of the 7 cost "kill a unit" spells. I always try to pick removal as that's what I remember from my magic drafting days. What was the old acronym ? Bread?

Bombs
    Removal
    Evasion
    Aggro
    Dregs

Pick things in that order, generally. May not be entirely applicable but it's been working for me so far.

• Options
    IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    First expedition was shroom-heavy, but got some rough RNG to stall out at 2 wins. (2 games in a row had like 40 shrooms in a guy's deck, only needed 2 to win, only pulled a card with 1. I know it happens, but _oof_.)

Second, I tried to build a Poro deck. Advice? DON'T. They're pretty slow to get rolling, not especially hard to counter, and require a pretty good spread of supporting cards that you can't rely on drafting. 0 wins, and neither game was particularly close.

Awww was hoping to make a poro deck eventually. guess wait for an expansion. I like gadget decks. Current project is the elnuk deck. Freilord+ piltover. make copies of elnuk then round 5 drop troop of elnuk. and hope to have 5 to 6 elnuks for massive rush. It is very rng based as once i only got one extra elnuk and getting the right card in the right order. but when you get the right rng it is hilarious.

• Options

The "spend all your mana for damage" card is really limiting, and leads to your removal all being pretty expensive. Things like frostbite abilities, challenger, barrier abilities, all come in cheaper and can be effectively "kill a thing." Combat tricks are a lot better in this game, mostly because of burst.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Had my first 100+ Puffcap game. It wasn't against slow as heck Fjor and Shadow Isles but still.
    ChaosHat wrote: »

The "spend all your mana for damage" card is really limiting, and leads to your removal all being pretty expensive. Things like frostbite abilities, challenger, barrier abilities, all come in cheaper and can be effectively "kill a thing." Combat tricks are a lot better in this game, mostly because of burst.

It's very flexible though which is why I think it should be autoinclude in a lot of Pilt + Region decks. If you've got a good number of spells it's especially flexible to get it around the cost you need it at. I remember COMPLETELY whiffing on the card the first day because I thought it meant "Spend All Mana. . .then deal damage equal to mana spent."

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Doing well in Expeditions seems somewhat entirely dependant on if you can pull Ledros.

Gosh I hate that card.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I am loving playing these so called "140 IQ" decks. . .it makes even losing fun because it's not a Pew-Pew-Pew match and you're doing more than just chump blocking and racing for damage. Winning games the turn before you're dead or on their turn is so great. Though I did get a game where the opponent was at one HP with a Level'd up Jinx, and didn't draw a single puff cap on their two draws.

ED! on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    The little UI tweaks after the patch are actually quite nice.

They mention in the patch notes that they're going to be going on two-week intervals for patches. This one was a small one, and the one in two weeks will be the large one.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    At this point I'd pay money to not play another god damned Shadow Isles/Ionia deck. Holy shit is it so fucking tedious to play against and everyone fucking has it as their first deck.

Vladimer on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Hit my first 7 win expedition today, pretty happy about that. Think that's my...."fifth" expedition total? One with the expedition token from the prologue, one from 3000 shards week 2, and then this week one from the expedition token out the vault. Demacia/Ionia, mostly Demacia. Two Zeds, two Garens by the end, bit of an elite theme. I don't know if it's an amazing card overall, but best card for the run I did was definitely that 5 mana burst +3/+3 to two units for the turn. A blowout 2-for-1 every time. It's tricky with combat tricks tho, because a lot of people still don't know just what ones to expect at what mana points.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I pulled Purrsuit of Perfection
    5dw0sy11uife.jpg

as one of my first epics last week and finally decided to give it a try.

First game I somehow just won "normally" before getting close to 20 unique cards played.

Second game, it's his turn and I'm at 18 on the counter. I have a few buffed spider tokens out, a Mystic Shot, Flash of Brilliance, and Purrsuit in my hand, and I realize with horror that I have lethal on the board if I mystic shot his Nexus!

My girlfriend warns me, "take it easy on him"! She's right. The true catastrophe would be for him to concede at this point. So I Mystic Shot one of my own spiders. Counter: 19

Turn goes to me. I cast Flash of Brilliance, not much caring what I get, maybe hoping for a Deny for insurance. Counter: 20

But what do I get?
    b61vqlq8tn8s.jpg

What's better than attacking with a 30/30 Overwhelm cat in a gargantuan mech suit? Pulling its writhing soul out through its chest along with the arcane energies animating the alloy metal and using it to power the biggest blast of dark magic Runeterra has ever seen. Sending it screaming directly into the enemy's Nexus and feeling the warm tickle in my eardrums as it shatters into a thousand million pieces.

This on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I use that card as my icon because it's just so clearly the best one.

• Options
    Expeditions results for the week were a bit middling. 3 wins, 6 wins, 1 win. That last one was a rough big wiff.
    Still I should be able to unlock a good amount of the region tracks and the weekly vault in the meantime. If I come in too low to pick up all three expeditions next week it might actually make more sense to just svae the token for the following week when I'd have two of them. Can dabble in constructed for a week.
    Almost at level 8 in each region traack now, aiming for the first champion capsule on each lane. Just have Demacia left at like 6 or so.

• Options
    What counts as an epic unit?

• Options
    Do you mean the elites? They're just labeled that almost like a creature type, like goblin etc.
    Epic is just the card rarity as far as I know.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Do you mean the elites? They're just labeled that almost like a creature type, like goblin etc.
    Epic is just the card rarity as far as I know.

Yeah, there's a card the specifically talks about epics, but the rarity is what it means I assume.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Maybe it's elites I mean. I've seen th3 card give them +1/+1 but have no clue what it is.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Elites are a tribe, I think all of them are Demacia soldiers. If a card has a tribe it's at the center top of the card iirc.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Elites are a tribe, I think all of them are Demacia soldiers. If a card has a tribe it's at the center top of the card iirc.

I'll have to look at my collection when I've gotten home. I've never noticed the tribe nomenclature.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    There aren't a ton of them. Off the top of my head I can only think of elites, poros, and spiders.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    There aren't a ton of them. Off the top of my head I can only think of elites, poros, and spiders.

Yeti, Elnuk

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Like any of these games they seed them in the cards but they don't all necessarily get used a bunch at first.

Elites and Spiders are I think the two you can actually build a deck around right now.

Maybe some sort of gimmick Poro deck.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    A wild MNC Dover enters the thread.

I just did the three opening tutorial games. This is...familiar yet different. Any starting pro tips aside from what’s in the OP?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I just did the three opening tutorial games. This is...familiar yet different. Any starting pro tips aside from what’s in the OP?

Save your Wildcards until you reach Rank 8 in each of the Regions.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    What counts as an epic unit?

There's a unit with Last Breath: create an epic in hand.

It generates a card of epic rarity.

This on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    You don't have to save any wildcards really. Champs and epics have duplicate protection, you won't get the same one if you already have the maximum amount of it. Commons are pretty...common and cheap shard wise. Maybe hold onto some rares, surprisingly I find them to be a bottleneck, but really if you put them towards a deck that you haven't completed and decide you want to pivot, you can refund the shards or wilds.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    Ugh, got a 7 win expiditions , then went basically 0-2 in my next 4. There's always next week

• Options

After 3 expiditions you get free unlimited drafts @MNC Dover

• Options
    edited February 2020

Probably hard to do your first week though. And note that the free ones are only worth xp (but still a lot potentially).

Got a 7-win last night off an Ezreal/Anivia brew with copious mystic shot and brittle steel. 1-mana burst frostbite is amazing, especially as many combat tricks don't boost health. A shame it was only during my free play but.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular

*but not with full rewards past 3

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    You don't have to save any wildcards really. Champs and epics have duplicate protection, you won't get the same one if you already have the maximum amount of it. Commons are pretty...common and cheap shard wise. Maybe hold onto some rares, surprisingly I find them to be a bottleneck, but really if you put them towards a deck that you haven't completed and decide you want to pivot, you can refund the shards or wilds.

By the time you get to 8 in each region (and get the free champion for each) a player should have a good idea about the landscape of the Meta and know what kind of deck/s they want to build towards.

And shards and cards can't be refunded if you've used them in a game. I suggested in an email that they should have 24 hour protection or something but I doubt that will happen.

• Options
    I won my first PvP game, then promptly lost my next two in one-sided smashings. To be expected with a limited card pool and no idea what cards my opponent could be running.

I finished the rewards track and it opened all the regions. I'm assuming this is the Rank 8 y'all are talking about? Like, level to 8 then move to the next. Then go back and take them to 20 any way I want?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    The answer is always Shadow Isles.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options

After 3 expiditions you get free unlimited drafts "MNC Dover"

Expeditions are like Arena runs, right? I got a token but figured I should wait until I have a better understanding of the cards. So if you win 3 Expeditions all your future runs are free? Clearly I’m not reading that right.

On the topic of currency, it’s just gold and gems, right? Gems are used for crafting cards and acquired from chests and dupes. Gold is used for cards and cosmetics, and can only be bought. Unless the show up in chests too?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

After 3 expiditions you get free unlimited drafts "MNC Dover"

Expeditions are like Arena runs, right? I got a token but figured I should wait until I have a better understanding of the cards. So if you win 3 Expeditions all your future runs are free? Clearly I’m not reading that right.

On the topic of currency, it’s just gold and gems, right? Gems are used for crafting cards and acquired from chests and dupes. Gold is used for cards and cosmetics, and can only be bought. Unless the show up in chests too?

The first three expeditions each week are paid for, and reward cards/shards based on performance. A 7-win gives more shards than the entry fee.

After that you can do more for free that week, but you only get xp as a reward - pretty good for leveling tracks/vault though.

The vault is cracked open at weekly reset for a pile of loot based on how high you leveled it that week, at level 10+ it has a token for expeditions in it.

• Options
    Getting used to the timings of the turn control hand overs is probably the biggest thing to learn coming from magic. That and the fact that there’s stuff that seems familiar but has some important distinctions. Like quick attack only does anything when attacking. You can’t stack up fast spells in the middle of combat if you need one of them to resolve before the other is valid to cast but you could get a burst spell to resolve and then cast a fast spell. You get used to it but it’s often not quite how you expect things to work.