As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    The reduction in XP for a 7 win run from 2k to 1.5k is pretty noticeable. I'm going to have to play some constructed if I want to hit level 13 this week.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    The reduction in XP for a 7 win run from 2k to 1.5k is pretty noticeable. I'm going to have to play some constructed if I want to hit level 13 this week.

While I've only played two Expedition so far (both 7-wins though!), I'm surprised that a 7-win result offers only 3k gems. I guess it's less of a concern since you only get rewards 3 times before it becomes free.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The champion card is also worth 3k (depreciated by some degree for being random). You used to get 3.5k instead of 3k but I guess they didn't want people drafting at pure shard profit.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The champion card is also worth 3k (depreciated by some degree for being random). You used to get 3.5k instead of 3k but I guess they didn't want people drafting at pure shard profit.

In the patch notes they said they wanted to make a 6-win more valuable:
    Moving on to Expeditions rewards, we’ve heard some frustration that a 6-win run rewarded only 33% of the Shards (1000) needed to play another Expedition. While we believe overall Expedition rewards are in a good spot, we’re shifting some of the rewarded Shards from 7 wins to 6 wins to make sure the latter achievement still feels appropriately rewarding.

I'm not sure quite how that works given I'm pretty sure you only get 1 reward or the other. But I can definitely agree with the idea since a 6 win was kinda pathetic in terms of reward.

• Options
    Also, the epic wildcard I just got off a region track upgraded to a champion wildcard, so WOOOOOOOO!!!

• Options
    Got my first maxed out Vault today. Only got the extra XP by saving a quest from last week. Can't wait for my loot!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I'm sure this will run out of steam but the Vlad Crimson deck is so fun to play.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    This is the first week I haven't maxed all 3 crates. Meh.

The amount of people who still don't know how Katarina works, especially with Fae Bladetwirler, is pretty impressive.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    This is also the first week I haven't maxed and it's by quite a bit. I think I've definitely fallen off this quite a bit. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it just feels pretty samey after a while.

• Options
    I think part of the problem for me is the limited card pool, both in terms of variety and acquisition. Like, I see the archetypes for each region, but having x3 copies of critical cards is limiting. That's the biggest reason why I haven't played Ranked much yet, since you need highly efficient decks and adding in replacement cards doesn't get it done.

Throw in the anemic amount of required champions and deck building feels very limited right now. This was my biggest complaint about Magic's format that I think Hearthstone got right. Limiting the number of Legendary cards greatly reduces the cost of an archetype, but that probably isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Granted, this gets better over time, but it's still a short term issue.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I tend to agree with you both, but I also feel the game / mechanics are excellent. We'll see how it is after the first card expansion, but I feel the potential of the game is huge.

There is an underlying stress I don't feel in Magic / Hearthstone that's here, though. It feels like a lot more decisionmaking during turns, even when it comes to pass. I like that as it feels I earned victory a lot more than HS or Magic, but....it's not as relaxing.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I think part of the problem for me is the limited card pool, both in terms of variety and acquisition. Like, I see the archetypes for each region, but having x3 copies of critical cards is limiting.

I see the Runeterra champion card system as being like letting you acquire a Hearthstone legendary in thirds. Three Runeterra champions is a full set, but you can still try a deck that needs a certain champion if you only have one or two. Instead of needing a full 1600 dust to craft a critical card, you probably already have at least a third of that critical card to give the deck a try before you fully commit.

• Options
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I think part of the problem for me is the limited card pool, both in terms of variety and acquisition. Like, I see the archetypes for each region, but having x3 copies of critical cards is limiting.

I see the Runeterra champion card system as being like letting you acquire a Hearthstone legendary in thirds. Three Runeterra champions is a full set, but you can still try a deck that needs a certain champion if you only have one or two. Instead of needing a full 1600 dust to craft a critical card, you probably already have at least a third of that critical card to give the deck a try before you fully commit.

In my experience you need at least 2 copies of a champion to make a deck that leans on them at all viable. Which, given how hard they are to get, is a big limiting factor.

Which is the biggest thing contributing to me playing less right now. If I'm not doing an expedition, my ability to build and execute a specific deck is very limited. Can't try many new things.

• Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I tend to agree with you both, but I also feel the game / mechanics are excellent. We'll see how it is after the first card expansion, but I feel the potential of the game is huge.

There is an underlying stress I don't feel in Magic / Hearthstone that's here, though. It feels like a lot more decisionmaking during turns, even when it comes to pass. I like that as it feels I earned victory a lot more than HS or Magic, but....it's not as relaxing.

I definitely think a lot of it is that the entire game feels very aggro focused and maybe that's a card pool issue. I have multiple "control" builds that commonly win on turn five or six by just beating your face in. I had a quest that required playing some number of 7+ cost cards and it took for-fucking-ever to complete because games were just done by then and I was playing Frostbite Control.

I am that terrible person that likes to play freeze mage or Azorius or Dimir control and that archetype just totally is not here as far as I can tell. I like to slowly answer or prevent your threats and then drop big dumb fatties to beat your face in while you're powerless to stop it. You will die very rapidly without a board presence in this game though.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    wonderpug wrote: »

In my experience you need at least 2 copies of a champion to make a deck that leans on them at all viable. Which, given how hard they are to get, is a big limiting factor.

Which is the biggest thing contributing to me playing less right now. If I'm not doing an expedition, my ability to build and execute a specific deck is very limited. Can't try many new things.

This is a good point. I want to play with my toys but in my limited playtime I'm much better off doing expeditions if I ever want to try new archetypes and champions because that is by far the biggest gating mechanism in the game. You are at the whim of what the expedition lets you play, and sometimes I get through the champ choices and I'm just like "ugghhhhhhhh."

• Options
    Their chosen implementation of spells as largely combat tricks means even control decks run a pretty large amount of creatures, even in comparison to Hearthstone which is also very creature-centric. An increase in spell variety would make more traditional control decks better but would also make the game less unique compared to its competitors.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Their chosen implementation of spells as largely combat tricks means even control decks run a pretty large amount of creatures, even in comparison to Hearthstone which is also very creature-centric. An increase in spell variety would make more traditional control decks better but would also make the game less unique compared to its competitors.

The game would probably be less fun if control decks didn't have to run creatures, since they'd avoiding interacting with one of the major design spaces in the game.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    Hey, my Vault decided to smile on me this week - two Champions!

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Tcheldor wrote: »

The game would probably be less fun if control decks didn't have to run creatures, since they'd avoiding interacting with one of the major design spaces in the game.

I think spells in general are very unreactive and random-feeling when you face them so I'm more then happy to keep the focus more on things you can see coming first.

Facing Fiora and it being nothing but a constant stream of "Well, actually" burst spells is not really fun.

shryke on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    I find I do the best against Fiora by playing ultra-conservative and forcing my opponent into wasting mana and barriers by throwing cheap units at them. Also, recall/frostbite decks work much better against her than just trying to out-kill. If you're using damage spells, just try and make sure they're out of mana before you cast or, if they're not, make sure to have a couple of damage spells ready to go for when they bust out the barrier prior to a combat resolving.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I've been having big success with Yasuo by basically pretending he's not even on the board. What I mean by that is I use him for stuns and I protect him, but I will only attack or block with him if I KNOW he can't die. He's too important in decks that focus on him to risk him at all.

That being said, it does feel nice that people have pulled back a bit on Deny. I can actually get Judgment off occasionally.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Tcheldor wrote: »

I think spells in general are very unreactive and random-feeling when you face them so I'm more then happy to keep the focus more on things you can see coming first.

Facing Fiora and it being nothing but a constant stream of "Well, actually" burst spells is not really fun.

god dammit I'm never going to be able to refer to fast spells as anything else now

"Well, actually" is the perfect description for how it feels

• Options
    To the surprise of no one (meaning me) the Vlad steamroll came to end against several Elusive decks back to back.

• Options
    This wrote: »
    Hey, my Vault decided to smile on me this week - two Champions!

I got a Braum!

My expedition run started 0-2. My second run has started 1-0 with 2 Elise and a ton of spiders. Has a lot of potential.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Holy shit. . .just figured out how to beat Hecarim/Elusive decks.
    . . .will your opponent to not draw Hecarim or their elusive units.

Please do not share widely.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Hi folks!

I just discovered this game last night and played for 4 hours straight pounding out all of the tutorial missions. I played one game against the AI after that but I'm not sure what to do next other than just grind out XP? I think that this game relies overly much on prior knowledge of Magic and Hearthstone - both of which I have not played - for what to do.

I keep seeing references to leveling regions, but I don't know what that means?

Also, did I pick the absolute worst day to start playing this game? I think the weekly reset is on Tuesdays (USA time) so will I lose all of the pitiful advancement I made last night (Tuesday night locally/Monday morning USA time)?

I really like what I've seen so far. The #1 thing that has turned me off to games of this type in the past is that they devolve into "pay to win". The whales that spend the most get the biggest/baddest/best cards and can stack a deck with unbeatable combos. It feels like Riot wants to keep this accessible to F2P players like me and while I'm never going to be touching the top tiers of the game, I'm quite happy with remaining "competitive" at a middle level. (As opposed to being fodder at all levels.)

26904.png
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »
    Hi folks!

I just discovered this game last night and played for 4 hours straight pounding out all of the tutorial missions. I played one game against the AI after that but I'm not sure what to do next other than just grind out XP? I think that this game relies overly much on prior knowledge of Magic and Hearthstone - both of which I have not played - for what to do.

Also, did I pick the absolute worst day to start playing this game? I think the weekly reset is on Tuesdays (USA time) so will I lose all of the pitiful advancement I made last night (Tuesday night locally/Monday morning USA time)?

I really like what I've seen so far. The #1 thing that has turned me off to games of this type in the past is that they devolve into "pay to win". The whales that spend the most get the biggest/baddest/best cards and can stack a deck with unbeatable combos. It feels like Riot wants to keep this accessible to F2P players like me and while I'm never going to be touching the top tiers of the game, I'm quite happy with remaining "competitive" at a middle level. (As opposed to being fodder at all levels.)

I played Hearthstone since launch and can say it isn't P2W, but I digress.

For LoR, here are a few starting tips from what I've done and gleaned from the thread:
    • Start by setting your Region under the Rewards tab. Select the "choose region button" in the upper left, choose any region, then activate it. Stay with it until you reach level 8, then switch to another region. Repeat until all regions are level 8. From there, you can switch to whatever region you find the most fun or want to get cards from.
    • Complete your daily quest. Reroll it if it's 1000xp to try for a 1500xp (personal choice)
    • Try to win 3 games a day (this provides 700 additional XP)
    • Doing the quest + wins will net between 2300 or 2800xp
    • Try to get your Vault to at least level 10 each week (done easily by doing your daily quest + 3 daily wins)
    • The Vault opens every Tuesday at 4am PST
    • Play at least one Expedition every week. You get a free play from a level 10+ Vault.
    • Don't craft anything until you get your regions to 8. Wait longer if you can.
    • If you do craft, there is a "safeguard" in place for Epic and Champion cards. That means you'll never get duplicates of them once you have x3 copies. Therefore, crafting Epic/Champions is best since it is a no-loss action, unlike Commons and Rares which can be duplicates from chests and provides a small amount of shards

I'm sure there's more I've forgotten, but that's a good starting point I think.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Hi folks!

I played Hearthstone since launch and can say it isn't P2W, but I digress.

For LoR, here are a few starting tips from what I've done and gleaned from the thread:
    • Start by setting your Region under the Rewards tab. Select the "choose region button" in the upper left, choose any region, then activate it. Stay with it until you reach level 8, then switch to another region. Repeat until all regions are level 8. From there, you can switch to whatever region you find the most fun or want to get cards from.
    • Complete your daily quest. Reroll it if it's 1000xp to try for a 1500xp (personal choice)
    • Try to win 3 games a day (this provides 700 additional XP)
    • Doing the quest + wins will net between 2300 or 2800xp
    • Try to get your Vault to at least level 10 each week (done easily by doing your daily quest + 3 daily wins)
    • The Vault opens every Tuesday at 4am PST
    • Play at least one Expedition every week. You get a free play from a level 10+ Vault.
    • Don't craft anything until you get your regions to 8. Wait longer if you can.
    • If you do craft, there is a "safeguard" in place for Epic and Champion cards. That means you'll never get duplicates of them once you have x3 copies. Therefore, crafting Epic/Champions is best since it is a no-loss action, unlike Commons and Rares which can be duplicates from chests and provides a small amount of shards

I'm sure there's more I've forgotten, but that's a good starting point I think.
    I don't see any Region options under the reward tab.

EDIT: Oh it doesn't show up until you level up more. So there's a bit of a grind before things open up. That's not very clear. It auto-assigned me to Freljord but I am pretty awful with that deck. I've been using the default starter Ionia/P&Z and doing pretty well. I suppose I should change my region to one of those two since those seem to work really well for me (so far).

EDIT2: I keep getting XP towards a weekly vault but I don't see any way to access that.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Vault unlock is early Tuesday morning, so your probably just leveling your vault for this week to unlock next Tuesday.

While the on boarding is a little rough, things to unlock are usually shiny and obvious

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Speaking of the vault, as I mentioned earlier, I did not max it out for this week. Two Diamond and a whatever just below it.

When I cracked it open, though, the third chest upgraded to a Diamond. The rewards were still garbage, but I still chuckled.

• Options
    I dunno about the "Hearthstone isn't P2W" sentiment. I don't think you're going to get very far with the starter decks/basic set, even in the reduced format they have. And if HS isn't P2W, I feel like LoR is way on the opposite side of HS, whatever it's model is. The money I've spent on this game (30 bucks since release) has essentially gone towards champion cards and a few epics.

I still think RIOT has some things to suss out, but I think they've nailed the monetization aspect (to the consternation of livestreamers) pretty well.

• Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    For an open beta and limited sets, I am very bullish on the game. I think they've got something special here.

• Options
    IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I essentially took a break last week for Riot's other other game, but coming back to Legends and enjoying it again.

Got my first 7-win Expedition completed this morning (I've been at 6 for...well, it may have been a full week) with a Draven aggro-ish deck. Now I am 6 wins into my next Expedition with a Draven / Garen combo focusing mainly on Elites but with some Noxus sprinkled in for tempo. Which I guess counts as Midrange? It has functioned really well at basically all stages of the game; I have enough low-cost early to be fine through mid-game, and if it gets to late then one of my 4 Savage Reckoners (+ a For Demacia! or buffed Garen if needed) ensures that I actually win.

We'll see if it downs the last opponent, but so far I haven't lost at all.

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I think folks reserving the 3k gems for drafts rather than spending them on the champs you need for a viable deck is going to frustrate you. I'm building a T1 deck and using my shards to fill it out before I gamble that much.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I think folks reserving the 3k gems for drafts rather than spending them on the champs you need for a viable deck is going to frustrate you. I'm building a T1 deck and using my shards to fill it out before I gamble that much.

I dunno. I've been doing nothing but expiditions and have a very healthy champion pool. I have at least one copy of every champ and most of them have multiple copies.

Don't forget you get a champ in each expidition, it's just random. Win 7 and you get a champion chest.

• Options
    Do expedition tokens stack if not used week to week?

• Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Do expedition tokens stack if not used week to week?

Yes. I've got like 3 saved up now.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    So before I went to bad last night I built my first ever custom deck, focused on Elusive and Quick Attack cards. I get an amazing amount of joy from tossing out a bunch of cheap 3/1 quick attackers and clearing the entire enemy field during a single attack. It's not great on defense though because the quick attack only works on attacking and not on blocking. Which brings me to another question:

I feel like I got about a hundred "wild" cards from running through the tutorial missions. Where are those saved? Is there an "inventory" screen somewhere to show what tokens/scrolls/credits/whatever I've got saved up? Since I'm just only just starting the game, I have a super limited selection of cards to play with - it feels like there are only 20 to 25 cards in any region - and my deck building is currently less "what is the best card for this deck" and more "use everything that fits". For my first deck (Ionia/Damacia) I used every single non-green card in my collection and only had to leave out maybe ten green cards from everything I own in those two regions. So it really wasn't strategy that drove my choices, but rather just culling the few cards that didn't fit with my style.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    RickRude wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I dunno. I've been doing nothing but expiditions and have a very healthy champion pool. I have at least one copy of every champ and most of them have multiple copies.

Don't forget you get a champ in each expidition, it's just random. Win 7 and you get a champion chest.

Having one champ is the worst way to build a deck though. You want two champions in sets of 3 for a meta deck. That's what I'm saying, buy your one meta deck first before you start drafting with those points, so you at least have a single meta deck.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    So before I went to bad last night I built my first ever custom deck, focused on Elusive and Quick Attack cards. I get an amazing amount of joy from tossing out a bunch of cheap 3/1 quick attackers and clearing the entire enemy field during a single attack. It's not great on defense though because the quick attack only works on attacking and not on blocking. Which brings me to another question:

I feel like I got about a hundred "wild" cards from running through the tutorial missions. Where are those saved? Is there an "inventory" screen somewhere to show what tokens/scrolls/credits/whatever I've got saved up? Since I'm just only just starting the game, I have a super limited selection of cards to play with - it feels like there are only 20 to 25 cards in any region - and my deck building is currently less "what is the best card for this deck" and more "use everything that fits". For my first deck (Ionia/Damacia) I used every single non-green card in my collection and only had to leave out maybe ten green cards from everything I own in those two regions. So it really wasn't strategy that drove my choices, but rather just culling the few cards that didn't fit with my style.

There is no inventory screen or the like. The UI is actually really terrible at giving you an easy straightforward way to find out what resources you have.

The easiest way to count your wildcards is to go to the store page and click on the cards section. It will then show you your wildcard amounts at the top.