As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I just, like, pass on the first three turns every time? It's not the strongest move, but being below 10hp on turn four or five is always intense!

Won a game due to the +3 attack burst giving my lifelink dragons just enough to keep me alive three times, until twisted fate could evolve and win the game.

Last game lost to burn, but could've survived the attack. Big misplay, using four Mana to bring out a guy. Should've used Ionia will to return the 3/1 deathwish and then used the burst 1 damage to three random targets would've killed the 2/1 that does one damage when it attacks.

I would've still been at 1hp, but who knows what might've happened on my turn!

In my experience it's almost 1000% they have the burn card in hand.

Almost all of my favorite decks are "pass until turn 3" decks.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Do you get anything for completing all the new missions or challenges, whatever they call them. 5 minutes for 100 xp just seems like I should play a game. They're so boring.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Do you get anything for completing all the new missions or challenges, whatever they call them. 5 minutes for 100 xp just seems like I should play a game. They're so boring.

You get free xp and that's basically it. Most of them are pretty fast, especially the new ones. It's easy free xp.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Ok, that was the easiest 7-win Expedition I’ve ever had. Straight steamroller through everyone with only one loss. That came to a turn 1 Barkbeast into a turn 2 Cursed Keeper and Ravenous Butcher. Yeah, my 1/1 Poro couldn’t deal with a 3/3, 4/4, 3/2 board.

Outside of that god draw, my deck obliterated everyone else. Tiny tick damage turns 1-3, then Prof Yip on 4 and the flood began. Crushed opponents and snaxs lay at my feet.

Poros are so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking them up.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Man extremely medium night tonight. There are a lot more random brews in low diamond, some really neat decks. I played against an Ashe/Sejuani deck that locked me out of the game with a leveled sej and the noxian artillery unit. There was a spider deck that used a spell I've literally never seen before to permanently buff all spiders forever and then generate a shitton of cheap spiders.

It's really a place where people are experimenting and I've never seen anything like it at the other levels. I wish I was creative enough or had the skill set to do that. I always hate wondering "is it me or the deck?"

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    That's what is fun about draft! It gives you random shit and then you find fun stuff that sometimes works, then you brew a constructed deck!

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    f6a4or6ltbv2.jpeg
    We did it, gang!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Congrats! Now, are we celebrating a 7-win Expedition run, summoning the 30/30, or both?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Yeah, that card is bonkers in expeditions.

I got my first rage quit timeout attempt! Was playing twisted fate plunder against yasuo stun deck, and then my opponent stopped playing and roped me every turn cause all their shit kept being stunned and recalled, which was their gameplan? But I guess then didn't enjoy it.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2020
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Congrats! Now, are we celebrating a 7-win Expedition run, summoning the 30/30, or both?
    The 30/30

The deck went on to 6 wins, which isn’t too shabby. It just happened to get a lot of solid Yeti synergy, of all things.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    One of my Heimerdinger decks went to 7 a month or so back and I closed out at least 3 and maybe 4 of those games with Catastrophe. It's not that hard to hit the requirements with certain decks and that card is very strong for the cost.

One game I cast it and then used that Hextech Transmogulator card to make another unit into an Omegakitty. The other player just surrendered instantly after that.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Soooo... I just hit Platinum...

This is my first time hitting a platinum equivalent level on any competitive game, well, ever.

What I love most is that I did it with a deck I constructed myself. I didn't copy it from some tier list or from a pro (though I've done my share of that, yes), I just did it the old fashion way, through trial and error, trimming out cards that weren't holding their weight and swapping in cards with better synergy.

Feeling pretty damn proud right now :)

Congrats! Coincidentally I just hit diamond! This is the best I've done in any CCG, although I hit diamond SC2, so I'm pretty happy. I did it by shamelessly stealing decks from the tier list. Most of my success came from two lists, CoVIna control and MF Scouts.

Like I did when I hit Platinum, here are my win rates this season. I think from here on out I'm just going to record it per tier, assuming I ever get to masters.

Bannerman: 23-17 (this was mono Demacia for a while then I switched to the cut Garen add Vi version).
    VImerdinger: 31-28
    CorVIna: 19-11
    Burn: 28-28
    MF Scouts: 40-21 (I have only played this since Platinum. Apparently I should have played it a long time ago).

Since I can't lose placement from Diamond, I'll probably durdle around with some different decks for a bit before trying to seriously push.

@Romantic Undead What was your decklist?

Oh sorry @ChaosHat I didn't see that you had pinged me (I don't think I get the notification if you edited the ping in later).

I think I'm gonna keep my decklist close to my chest for the time being. I have literally never seen anyone use a similar one in my climb so far, it's all been deep decks, Corina and burn decks. So I wanna see how far I can get before people start catching on to what I'm up to.

I will give you a tiny hint though: I hate fighting deep decks and love fighting burn. Burn players are so easy to predict and bait into making mistakes. Corina can go either way.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    My cool new custom background looks alright

But, also you can't see what happens in the middle combat lanes. And you can't select creatures in those lanes. And same for spells.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Maybe the dumbest way I've won a game. I swing for lethal with Vi, Elise, and Ledros. I pull his guy in with vi. He frostbites Vi and Ledros, and casts withering wail, putting him at 8 hp. I vault breaker ledros twice to deal 4 damage and then atrocity him after attack.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I don't have any copies of Fizz so I play lady pirate instead in my twisted fate plunder deck, and I gotta say

She is also very good at triggering plunder and also when you have her in play and draw another she turns into a very good spell that only costs 2

(Also I totally would've decked myself if playing lady pirate as a spell didn't shuffle a lady pirate back into your deck.)

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    MF must be the best champion of the set. Eat shit you little spider blockers

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »

Of all the new Champions, I'm pretty sure a leveled TF is 100% game ending.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Retreat is such a crazy good spell

• Options

They should still block the damage even if MF's ability kills them. Which just feeds into Netherglade/Endure chump blocker deck.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    shryke wrote: »

They should still block the damage even if MF's ability kills them. Which just feeds into Netherglade/Endure chump blocker deck.

She gets trample when she evolves. Which I have only had happen one time, personally
    That's the other good thing about her! People target her instead of the actual threats. Where as I use her to chump block cause she doesn't matter. But maybe that's cause I haven't climbed out of silver teir yet

Burtletoy on
  • Options

Of all the new Champions, I'm pretty sure a leveled TF is 100% game ending.

A lot of the longer decks, especially with Karma, eat TF for breakfast. I'm pretty confident Vi is the best new champion. She's not "oh my god" amazing like leveled TF but she's just so solid. Challenger, tough, and a lot of damage is a hell of a combo.

• Options

She gets trample when she evolves. Which I have only had happen one time, personally
    That's the other good thing about her! People target her instead of the actual threats. Where as I use her to chump block cause she doesn't matter. But maybe that's cause I haven't climbed out of silver teir yet

MF is the closest thing this game will get to an enchantment I think. I almost never attack with her unless the coast is 100% clear. I never block with her unless it's to prevent lethal, or against burn because you have to keep your health high.

It's not worth risking her in combat unless you're 100% sure she'll live. Turn 4 is when you can drop a ranger and now she's doing two damage a turn to their Nexus and anything dumb enough to block. She's too strong to lose.

She does eat removal like crazy though, and closes out games basically the instant she levels.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Well, she's very expendable in my deck!

Eye of the dragon, twisted fate, and black market merchant are all I really need to keep alive to win

Edit: she just leveled up a second time! And my opponent played a silence card on my black market merchant instead of on my twisted fate that had a stolen undying spirit on it? I assume silence removes that charm, right?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Now that I have the MF emote it's so fuckin useful. You can do it when you Ledros. You can do it when you ping off their barrier spell to kill them. You do it when you deal the exact two damage for lethal with a mystic shot. It's like punctuation.

• Options

People basically never attack with MF though. And I don't think Overwhelm matters anyway since if you kill the blocking spiders the attack should just fizzle.

• Options
    Overwhelm goes past the ghost blocker and does full damage. But what I meant when I said fuck spiders is that they can't chip down your units with 100 spiders and have to actually spend cards killing them. Even though the stupid spiders do still slow the game down.

• Options
    Yeah, overwhelm + ice cube blocker does full damage.

That's how I learned MF+ had overwhelm, to my dismay

• Options
    It's not Vault day, but I thought I'd see how the collection is doing post-launch. The numbers are:
    • Commons: 179/198 (19 cards w/no copies) Total count: 484/594 (110 missing) 81% complete
    • Rares: 131/150 (19 cards w/no copies) Total count: 324/450 (126 missing) 72% complete
    • Epics: 48/57 (9 cards w/no copies) Total count: 121/171 (50 missing) 71% complete
    • Champions: 29/35 (6 cards w/no copies) Total count: 73/105 (32 missing) 70% complete
    • Wildcard count is 150/74/25/12
    • Region levels are 22/20/20/20/17/16/16
    • Shards count is 46k

Yasuo still remains Elusive from the original set. Overall, I'm still missing a lot, especially from Bildgewater even though I have their region track almost maxed out. If I used all my Wild Cards, I'd have all the Commons and 50% of everything I'm missing. Of course, we're only two weeks post launch so I can't imagine I'd have everything yet being strictly F2P.

I suppose a few more months and I should have close to everything.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    It's not Vault day, but I thought I'd see how the collection is doing post-launch. The numbers are:
    • Commons: 179/198 (19 cards w/no copies) Total count: 484/594 (110 missing) 81% complete
    • Rares: 131/150 (19 cards w/no copies) Total count: 324/450 (126 missing) 72% complete
    • Epics: 48/57 (9 cards w/no copies) Total count: 121/171 (50 missing) 71% complete
    • Champions: 29/35 (6 cards w/no copies) Total count: 73/105 (32 missing) 70% complete
    • Shards count is 46k

Yasuo still remains Elusive from the original set. Overall, I'm still missing a lot, especially from Bildgewater even though I have their region track almost maxed out. If I used all my Wild Cards, I'd have all the Commons and 50% of everything I'm missing. Of course, we're only two weeks post launch so I can't imagine I'd have everything yet being strictly F2P.

You should start burning all those wildcards, especially the commons and maybe a lot of rares right now. You could instead be getting shards for them, which you could put toward those champs you need. Shards are more versatile than the wildcards. Then, all your common wild cards will start being stockpiled towards the next set so you could hopefully buy all of those on day one, and again start the shard pile again.

You are also just in general way more patient than I to sit on all those WCs and shards!

• Options
    • Shards count is 46k

You should start burning all those wildcards, especially the commons and maybe a lot of rares right now. You could instead be getting shards for them, which you could put toward those champs you need. Shards are more versatile than the wildcards. Then, all your common wild cards will start being stockpiled towards the next set so you could hopefully buy all of those on day one, and again start the shard pile again.

You are also just in general way more patient than I to sit on all those WCs and shards!

It’s partly the fault of my JRPG wired brain to never spend expendable items (elixirs, full heals, etc) and partly not wanting to lose out on WC value. Since cards only provide 1/4 vale, it’s tough to spend WC knowing I can get the cards for free from Vaults.

That being said, I have spent WCs already, just not in volume. To be fair though, I’ve been mainly playing my Anivia deck so I haven’t had much desire to craft cards lately.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    • Shards count is 46k

It’s partly the fault of my JRPG wired brain to never spend expendable items (elixirs, full heals, etc) and partly not wanting to lose out on WC value. Since cards only provide 1/4 vale, it’s tough to spend WC knowing I can get the cards for free from Vaults.

That being said, I have spent WCs already, just not in volume. To be fair though, I’ve been mainly playing my Anivia deck so I haven’t had much desire to craft cards lately.

In terms of wildcard value:
    - epics and champs have dupe protection so you are never wasting resources buying them
    - if you get a region to lvl 23, you are done with getting cards from it via anything but the vault, which does a lot to reduce the chance you get dupes that turn into a pitiful number of shards
    - the journey from 20-23 is also quite short so if you already maxed the region out you can easily get the rest of the cards you need from that region in like a few days

• Options
    I'm currently at:
    Champion: 47.62% or with WC 61.90%
    Epic: 63.74% or with WC 76.61%
    Rare: 65.56% or with WC 81.56%
    Common: 74.07% or with WC 96.30%

Total: 67.73% or with WC 85.98%

And ~56k shards

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I'm at

Champion: 80/105 and 17 WC
    Epic: 121/171 and 18 WC
    Rare: 311/450 and 76 WC
    Common: 451/594 and 244 WC
    Region Levels: 12, 20, 20, 23, 20, 20, 20 (so a minimum of 7 more free champions to go)
    28k shards

Which is 73.0% by raw card numbers and 73.3% by shard value without wildcards, or 92.2% by raw card numbers and 88.6% by shard value with wildcards.

The only big ticket item I have any desire to craft is the third Vi (currently at 1 + the P&Z chest unlock) if I haven't lucked into it in a month. There's some commons and rares I need to grab liked Grizzled Ranger and Gotcha but there's no real urgency until they announce this season's ranked rewards and I need to pick something to climb with instead of just jamming expeditions.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Just won a game against a Fiora/VI Unyielding Spirit deck. Killed his on-curve Fiora with The Box, then held off the typical midrange Bannerman Demacia stuff until turn 10. That's when he dropped Fiora and Unyielding Spirit down.

From that point on, it was a carefully planned out game where I kept freezing Fiora on her attacking turns and only going in with high health units in order to survive her turns. Some other clever plays: Playing a She Who Wonders specifically to kill of my tiny minions so Fiora couldn't snipe them and Avalanching my own board to kill off a 3/2 Anivia and a Spider so she'd have no good target to kill the following turn.

Eventually, I overwhelmed her with swarms of units and triple 2 damage Glacial Storms to secure the win. I think 1-2 more turns and I would have died to her 4th confirmed kill. I've lost that match-up one time before, so I'm right at 50/50 win rate. It's a tough fight for sure.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Ahahaha living the dream. Opponent has 13 health, and just dropped Nautilus leveled into my board of... well, almost all 1/1s. But he only had one other creature... and I responded with Mind Meld for 11. He conceded.

This Heimer expedition deck honestly feels totally random, but it's a blast to play. (I have Gangplank and a pile of pilfer effects too, a pile of mystic shots, etc). I've won by Gangplank, I've won by stalling out a leveled 9/9 Garen with infinity turrets until puffcaps finished him off...

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I had to look up what Mind Meld did. Oh, now that’s funny right there.

Makes me want to make a hate/troll deck that uses cards like Silence, Possession, and so forth to completely wreck their game plan. Not sure which regions would be best, or a win condition, but it would be fun.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    One thing I kind of want is a Purify for champions. Reset them to just their base state and strip off any extra buffs that have been piled on.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    One thing I kind of want is a Purify for champions. Reset them to just their base state and strip off any extra buffs that have been piled on.

The problem with Silence is it’s really an unfun gameplay interaction. So far, it’s fine in LoR since there’s only like a few ways to Silence things. I think it would be better to just balance Champion abilities/activations instead of Silencing them.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    It would be fun to have a card to make an omega Zed or Vi sad, but I think it would brick so often nobody would run it.