As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    One thing I kind of want is a Purify for champions. Reset them to just their base state and strip off any extra buffs that have been piled on.

I feel like this would kill a lot of decks/strategies that are already kind of marginal. Like most Zed, Fizz, or Fiora strategies, which are already not really so powerful overall.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Well I personally don't permanently buff Zed or Fiora because half the decks I play against has Vengeance. The cheesy stand alone strats are dumb and I don't care if they're unplayable, although as I said I think even an aggressively costed champion reset would rarely be used because it would do nothing most of the time.

• Options
    The standalone build is the only Zed build that really sees play, so it's kind of the difference between him being relevant in the game and not.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hah. Heimer expedition goes all the way. Topdecked Corrina for 4 to snatch a game 7 win out of nowhere.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    How are you guys getting your collection counts. I assume it's an app?

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I counted it by hand the first time and then update each time I get new stuff.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    I counted it by hand the first time and then update each time I get new stuff.

Yup, all by hand. Of course, I don’t keep track off what I get during the week so I recount each time. I shou probably stop doing that and track as I go.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    So I did pop mine into a collection tracker, and I have way less stuff than I thought!

Champions: 75.2%
    Epic: 59.5%
    Rare: 69.4%
    Common: 77.0%
    Total: 72.1%

1 epic and 1 rare WC.

I would need 214100 shards to finish off the collection.

The funny thing is, it doesn't really feel like I'm missing that much. A lot of the cards I didn't have I was like "What even is that card?" so they're pretty niche/off meta/bad. I played for maybe...two to three weeks at beta launch, and since 1.0. So maybe about 6 weeks total?

• Options
    JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    I've noticed that this game has quite a few RNG based cards. Before I get too invested, what are the chances that in the future this game goes full on Mario Party/Hearthstone with the RNG? If they're going to do that then I'll just get out now.

• Options
    They have a dev article on what they feel is good/bad/acceptable RNG: https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/design-dive-randomness/

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Something that I found out the hard way that is different than Hearthstone is if you go to 0 during battle, you are dead no matter what happens after hitting 0 in the battle. If you have 4 life and you get hit by the first attacker 4, and then you gain 1 life from a lifesteal blocker in the next attacker you're still dead, whereas in Hearthstone it'll bump you back to 1.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    There are some RNG cards but Flash of Brilliance and that one treasure are the only ones I would say have huge variance

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    There are some RNG cards but Flash of Brilliance and that one treasure are the only ones I would say have huge variance

Yeah, I'd say there's actually very few cards that are super random. The recent expansion introduced a few more but most are somewhat controllable.

Like a lot of the "get a random x" type cards will only pull from the regions you are in unless they say otherwise.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    So I did pop mine into a collection tracker, and I have way less stuff than I thought!

1 epic and 1 rare WC.

The funny thing is, it doesn't really feel like I'm missing that much. A lot of the cards I didn't have I was like "What even is that card?" so they're pretty niche/off meta/bad. I played for maybe...two to three weeks at beta launch, and since 1.0. So maybe about 6 weeks total?

Yeah, I found this too after counting it up. Given the number of dupe cards turning to shards I get, I really thought I had more stuff in my collection.

• Options
    I can count on one hand the games I’ve won and lost to randomness. You are gonna be hard pressed to create a 10-minute video of Runeterra Moments with crazy swingy things happening.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I can count on one hand the games I’ve won and lost to randomness. You are gonna be hard pressed to create a 10-minute video of Runeterra Moments with crazy swingy things happening.

I mean, I can think of some topdeck rips in expeditions, but you know.. those cards show up sooner or later and would have blown the opponent out if I'd drawn them sooner. Treasure Trove is massively random, but... well, 5 free cards that can be literally anything tends to be value, and I suspect it's not a pure random selection either.

• Options
    True. I don’t count tip deck randomness since that’s just a thing with card games. The 5 random, free cards is swingy, but thankfully tied to a hard to pull off effectively card.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Even some of the things that are very random in theory, aren't very random in practice. Make It Rain is 1 damage to three different random targets, but that is usually cast with maybe 2-3, creatures on the board at once making it pretty not random in reality. A lot of the other random things have limiters on them, like "random 1 cost spell" or "random 5 cost follower from Demacia" which generally prevents a super wide variance. 1 cost spells may be more or less good depending on circumstance, but they all have a similar power level.
    shryke wrote: »

1 epic and 1 rare WC.

Yeah, I found this too after counting it up. Given the number of dupe cards turning to shards I get, I really thought I had more stuff in my collection.

I mean, I have 77% of commons so realistically 3/4ths of the time I will get a shard from a given common? But yeah it does feel like "ALL OF THE COMMONS."

I would be interested to see what the average collection completion % is after finishing all the reward tracks.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    shryke wrote: »

1 epic and 1 rare WC.

I mean, I have 77% of commons so realistically 3/4ths of the time I will get a shard from a given common? But yeah it does feel like "ALL OF THE COMMONS."

I would be interested to see what the average collection completion % is after finishing all the reward tracks.

Yeah, it feels like getting that many dupes should mean you are almost done but even just being like 66% done means you are gonna be getting mostly dupes.

shryke on
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    True. I don’t count tip deck randomness since that’s just a thing with card games. The 5 random, free cards is swingy, but thankfully tied to a hard to pull off effectively card.

Sure. But it doesn't make it any less hilarious when it goes off. At the very least it's a very fun card, no matter what happens after that.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I just pulled a pretty great win straight out of my ass. I'm running my Endure/Spiders deck. The other guy was running some kind of Braum/Tryndamere+Demacia buffs and big champs deck.

I've got 1 Atrocity in hand but never manage to pull a single They Who Endure or Netherglade the whole game so I basically never have a win condition. Meanwhile he's got a 3/10 leveled Braum making my life a pain in the ass. I manage to get both Kalista and Elise leveled up before they die the first time but I can't manage to keep anything alive and he's starting to fill the board with 3/3 Poros and some other big units with Overwhelm, which is just bad news. I've got a Rhasa in hand but he always has enough chumps around to keep it from doing anything useful.

So he drops an Alpha Wildclaw and then a Tryndamere and I'm still dropping spiders and Wraithcallers so a lot of damage is getting through. I'm at 12 health but I managed to swarm past his guard enough to have him at 9. I've only got like a Kalista and an Elise and some 1/1 chumps, only 2 of them other spiders, on the board though. I'm basically done next round what with all the big Overwhelm units he's rocking.

So I go all in. Kalista on the left, challenge some of the smaller units with spiders to try and kill some poros and we'll see how it goes. Kalista summons a Wrathcaller (4/3) on the right. He blocks Kalista with Braum to get another Poro, puts his big units in place to destroy the rest of my blockers. He contemplates blocking the Wraithcaller but he doesn't wanna lose another Poro in case I can chump block some more and Braum kills the Wraithcaller anyway because of Kalista's level-up power. Net result, 0 nexus damage and my entire board cleared minus a single mistwraith.

I Atrocity Kalista for 5 nexus damage, which prevents Wraithcaller from absorbing damage for her and dying, which means another 4 damage goes straight through to the nexus and I win.

shryke on
  • Options
    Man, I’ve been pushing from silver 2 to gold and every deck is variants of no-champ Aggro, Ledros spiders, or mono Demacia. My homebrew Anivia deck is about 50% against all of them, depending on draw. Win a few, lose a few. Gaining points overall, but that will fall off once I get gold.

My daily quest was play 10 elites, so I ran mono Demacia to get it done. Uh...yeah, so I’m like 2-3 wins away from gold now after winning 6 in a row.

Turns out curving good stats is really good. :biggrin:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Hot take: this game should have a minimum number of units like Gwent

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    Hot take: this game should have a minimum number of units like Gwent

Would you like to support your argument with reasons?

• Options
    Removal only decks are really annoying. The structure of Gwent makes it much more annoying in that game but that's why it's hot. Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.

• Options
    Even the spell heaviest decks still run creatures. Corina has the spider package plus Corina/Vi/Ledros, and Karma/Ez has a bunch of blockers that cantrip or have spell synergy.

• Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    Lux Karm runs DA BEARS

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Hit 7 Expedition on the back of Teemo and Heimer and lots of Mushrooms. Pushed me over the edge for the Max Vault which is a good thing.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Yilias wrote: »
    Even the spell heaviest decks still run creatures. Corina has the spider package plus Corina/Vi/Ledros, and Karma/Ez has a bunch of blockers that cantrip or have spell synergy.

They run like 2-3 creatures. And 1 or 2 of those are usually the finisher.

"Nothing but removal and then a finisher" decks are the shittiest play experience to run against imo. It's a very non-reactive playstyle to fight. You basically just hope you can randomly find some way around whatever removal they've randomly pulled.

• Options
    Lux/Karma runs 15 creatures and 3 Remembrance, which totally counts. Corina runs 7, and that's if you're not counting the three brood awakenings which should count as a creature spell each at least, or the vile feasts which are maybe .5? You could say Heimer Vi midrange, but realistically that thing wins by shitting out bodies via Heimer. Even Karma/Ezreal, maybe the least interactive thing ever, plays 11, some of which are Eye of the Dragon which makes more bodies!

Are you talking about 2-3 copies of creatures? Then that would be true, but again, 3 creatures * 3 copies plus all of those decks are running 6 champs, you're looking at minimum 1/4th of the deck. It seems like this is less of an actual problem and more of a "I just don't like it" to which I say these things have TOO MANY creatures. My favorite deck was Frost Mage in Hearthstone. I live to answer all of your threats efficiently and out draw you until you're top decking for answers. That's when I crack my knuckles and say "Okay, now let's start playing!"

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I’d say the most competitive RNG card is like...Karma? But that shuts off when she levels, and it’s locked to your deck’s regions so you know what to play around. It’s not nearly as bad as WoW’s “This 1 mana card can win you the game if you’re lucky.” Cards that pull from outside your region(s) tend to be meme cards like Aurora Porealis.

So...more randomness than Magic, but way closer to Magic than Hearthstone. Only a handful of cards really use random, and it’s easier to play around. There HAVE been complaints about stealing cards, but that is less about randomness and about how it hard counters deck buffing.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    This is a good amount of randomness and I truly feel that magic would have fucked with this kind of space if it was feasible to do in a physical space.

Hell, look at Outlaw's Merriment for a recent example of HS or LoR style randomness.

• Options
    Mobalytics now has an HSreplay style page https://lor.mobalytics.gg/stats/decks

I'm a bit surprised at how strong Heimer Control is in Masters.

• Options
    My biggest takeaway is how strong scouts is despite being labeled tier 2 in most lists. It's been my most successful list along with corvina, so I don't know if it's being a little slept on.

• Options
    This fucking expedition drops turn 2 Boomcrew Rookie, turn 3 Legion Saboteur and another Boomcrew Rookie. I had to double check I didn't queue for ranked with deep Teemo jank.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Unyielding spirit (can't be damaged or killed) on Fiora in limited.

Great. Thanks. Just wish I'd realized which combo it was earlier so I could've resigned faster.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Unyielding Spirit being burst is real goofy. Honestly it shouldn’t be a card at all given how few answers it has in the meta, but I guess someone really wanted Fiora to be competitive.

It’s a tiny reason why Ionia is so strong right now. Will is the only way to silence champions, and that is strong when the only real answer is...another Ionia card.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Sterica wrote: »
    Unyielding Spirit being burst is real goofy. Honestly it shouldn’t be a card at all given how few answers it has in the meta, but I guess someone really wanted Fiora to be competitive.

It’s a tiny reason why Ionia is so strong right now. Will is the only way to silence champions, and that is strong when the only real answer is...another Ionia card.

I definitely don't understand why it's burst speed. It kind of screams slow spell to me.

Kasyn on
  • Options
    Kasyn wrote: »
    Sterica wrote: »

I definitely don't understand why it's burst speed. It kind of screams slow spell to me.

Redoubled valor is right there as a comparison, too.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I would be totally fine with the spell if it wasn't burst. Since it's not, every deck I play is Ionia.

How does detain interact with it? If I arrest Fiona, does she lose it?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).