As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    All I know is he plundered my freshly minted yetI and dropped it for free, then swung with BMM, the Plunder +1/+1, and Enraged Yeti on turn 3 or something.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Merchant should be card you only play when you're ready to pilfer. I'm a little worried Braum is op, he went from no tempo to...pretty high tempo

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Well that won't happen anymore! I'm seriously interested in seeing Winter in July coming up here. I think the theft is all that was keeping some Freljord strats back.

It is interesting that they noted that they wanted to buff Freljord because only basically Sej and a couple cards in the core package are seeing serious play out of Frel, so that made me wonder, how many viable archetypes/builds are there for each faction?

Bilgewater: Plunderkit, Deep. Maybe arguably some, worse, versions of scouts.

Demacia: Two builds, Bannerman or Lux things (scouts is basically a flavor of Bannerman).

Freljord: "The Core" consisting of Sej, Omen, and maybe Fury or Elixirs. I honestly feel you could argue there are two more that go +Noxus, there's the big dudes with Swain, or the Frostbite centric one with Ashe, but I guess they're similar enough to count as one.

Ionia: Elusives or Control Package (wills, deny, eye of the dragon, deep med, health pot, et al).

Noxus: Burn only? I'm not sure if Swain counts, the Noxus elements in those decks are pretty small. You could maybe put Vlad builds around the fringe.

PnZ: Burn? You could argue Heimer but the PnZ parts of those decks are always pretty small % wise.

SI: Endure/Spider Aggro. Control package. Deep actually has a lot of overlap with "control package" so should it really stand on it's own?

I mean they seem pretty even? It looks like they're trying to push Noxus overwhelm aggro and Freljord control? I'm not sure what else will come to the fore post patch.

• Options
    The meta is going to be all elusives because everything is about avoiding interaction

• Options
    The fact that braum has 1 attack actually makes him pretty good at dealing with them. Anivia also should have some game against them. You might be surprised. You do have to live long enough for that, but freljord can definitely stall.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    It was nice to see that multiple cards in my Anivia homebrew deck got buffed (Anivia, She Who Wanders, and The Reckoning). Still not sure how things will play out, but I'm not against dropping Anivia on 6. Even if she dies, the egg threat is there and I can curve into Rekindler.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    It was nice to see that multiple cards in my Anivia homebrew deck got buffed (Anivia, She Who Wanders, and The Reckoning). Still not sure how things will play out, but I'm not against dropping Anivia on 6. Even if she dies, the egg threat is there and I can curve into Rekindler.

Reckoning didn't change?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Thinking about the Ren Shadowblade changes more, they become just more and more nonsensical imo.

Like, maybe he's technically better, but the previous iteration was at least interesting and made sense, even if it kinda sucked. The new version is still garbage but now doesn't even work I think.

He's 3 HP, which makes him super vulnerable to removal and a bad blocker. Especially when you want to save him for attacking so his effect goes off. And at 4 mana by the time he comes out, it's gonna be a lot harder for him to attack into the enemy line with impunity.

But the real kicker is that his new special effect just doesn't work very well. It creates the card after you attack. Which means at best in terms of speed it's a 1 mana 4/3 blocked next turn. At worst it's an ephemeral attacker 2 turns later. Which means he's basically fucking useless for helping out any sort of ephemeral strategy because the earliest he's gonna effect anything is turn 6. And Hecarim comes out on turn 6 anyway.

The whole thing just doesn't make sense to me right now. I'm not seeing how it could work in any strategy.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2020
    My expedition deck has six wills and two Minahs.

My Jeweled Protector’d Yasuo eats well.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The new ren has knobs you can fuck with though. The old one's ability was so oppressive and unfun that it would be hard to balance ever.

I do agree the fact that he makes it after is problematic. 4/3 blockers ain't bad though, it does kind of pigeonhole them into an open attack if they don't want to deal with it.

Would be nice if he was say, a scout, and his ability said "the first time each turn"

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    They should have nerfed sejuani with the freljord buffs but I guess we’ll see.

Or nerf Seer to a 2/2 to make up for the indirect buff with Nab nerfed.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Sejuani feels fine to me. I don't think she's in need of a nerf.

Most of the decks that splash her just seem to use her as a 6 drop that can disable a big unit for a turn.

• Options
    I know this is probably obvious to everyone else, but this game finally helped me notice how much Jinx is a reference to Tank Girl, and it made me appreciate the character a lot more.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Mono-frejlord still seems strong to me. Avarosan ranger is a fucking under appreciated winner, doubly so with the new nab nerf. Overwhelm is gooood. (My mono-frej actually runs three of the demacia 'rally' spell for quicker wins, but still mono in my mind)

Yilias wrote: »
    https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/the-season-of-fortune/
    Patch 1.4: Prove your skill with Gauntlets
    Starting off is Patch 1.4 and an all-new game mode: Gauntlets.

Gauntlets are limited-time competitive modes with unique deckbuilding rules. Gauntlets go live every weekend for about four days total, with weekly swaps between formats in the rotation.

The first Gauntlet begins June 26 and will use standard deckbuilding rules as we test-drive the underlying tech; a second type of Gauntlet, Singleton, joins the rotation on July 3, and will challenge you to build a deck using no more than one copy of each card.

Everyone who takes on a particular Gauntlet format will receive a special icon, but only those who make it to seven wins will earn the exclusive Gauntlet Conqueror icon. In the future, we plan to add more exclusive rewards and improve the Gauntlet mode overall, using the technology to build our way to full-scale in-game tournaments.

This is awesome. Weekend Warrior tournaments were, like, 95% of the reason I played SolForge until they turned off the servers. Glad to see this game is borrowing the concept. Someone @ me when they have a high rarity draft one! (Edit: it doesn't actually seem clear to me that draft tournaments will be part of the weekend warriors, which is a big swing-and-miss in my opinion)

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    It's funny to me that, in my internal dialog, I refer to about 50% of the cards in this game as their SolForge clone

(Edit: I'm sure the SolForge ones were probably clones of MTG or hearthstone cards, but, like, 6 lanes with cards that level up? And weekend warrior tournaments? Just saying...someone on the LoR team was a fan)

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Brody wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Reckoning didn't change?

Oops, I meant the Harrowing.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Sterica wrote: »
    They should have nerfed sejuani with the freljord buffs but I guess we’ll see.

Or nerf Seer to a 2/2 to make up for the indirect buff with Nab nerfed.
    Seer was sooo painful to get value from at 2 hp. It's a strong card now, but I'd prefer them nerf something else if necessary and let frejlord have their big dudes niche

• Options
    I hope you all are ready for some big, horrible elusives because that's where this seer buff takes you!

• Options
    That's why I'm breaking into Riot and increasing the mana cost of every elusive card by 3

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Swim's initial tier list looks like a fucking cavalcade of nightmares.

So you have basically three flavors of elusive and then also burn aggro. YAAAAY.

I'm sure that will change some as we settle into a post patch meta but man it might be a rough couple of weeks here.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »

So you have basically three flavors of elusive and then also burn aggro. YAAAAY.

I'm sure that will change some as we settle into a post patch meta but man it might be a rough couple of weeks here.

Yeah, when talking about the patch his opinion basically seemed to be that Endure decks will be less good, Braum might be really good and Elusives were untouched and so are likely to only get more powerful.

The elusive problem never went away. We just went through a few phases where other things were more in style after release. But with aggro burn nerfed people were already slowly realising elusives were still as good as ever and I at least somewhat expect that to only become even stronger.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I hope you all are ready for some big, horrible elusives because that's where this seer buff takes you!

In the Kinkou deck or a new deck?

Right now Kinkou runs 6 Freljord/34 Ionia with
    10 spells (3 Elixir of Iron, 3 Twin Disciplines, 3 Will of Ionia, 1 Deny)
    18 elusives (3 Navori Bladescout, 3 Greenglade Duo, 3 Navori Conspirator, 3 Shadow Assassin, 3 Kinkou Lifeblade, 3 Windfarer Hatchling)
    12 other creatures (3 Omen Hawks, 3 Zed, 3 Kinkou Wayfinder, 3 Jeweled Protector)

If we shift more towards Freljord buffs; say Shared Spoils, Starlit Seer, and Fury of the North, then we probably drop Navori Conspirator (don't want to bounce buffed stuff) and Kinkou Wayfinder (more likely not to hit allegiance).

Then we have something with 15 Freljord/25 Ionia
    13 spells (3 Elixir of Iron, 3 Fury of the North, 3 Shared Spoils, 3 Will of Ionia, 1 Deny)
    15 elusives (3 Navori Bladescout, 3 Greenglade Duo, 3 Shadow Assassin, 3 Kinkou Lifeblade, 3 Windfarer Hatchling)
    12 other creatures (3 Omen Hawks, 3 Starlit Seer, 3 Zed, 3 Jeweled Protector)

Seer replaces Conspirator as a T2 play. We don't get an immediate payoff since T3 we also want to develop Zed/SA, but T4 is usually a combat trick to fend off removal.

Losing Conspirator chip is rough, but I guess you're not guaranteed to curve it out on T2 anyway.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

Yeah, when talking about the patch his opinion basically seemed to be that Endure decks will be less good, Braum might be really good and Elusives were untouched and so are likely to only get more powerful.

The elusive problem never went away. We just went through a few phases where other things were more in style after release. But with aggro burn nerfed people were already slowly realising elusives were still as good as ever and I at least somewhat expect that to only become even stronger.

Tier 1 MF/Sej was hit with the BMM nerf too. So everything else got weaker, and basically some unknowns (Braum, Anivia, Jinx) got stronger.

In the Kinkou deck or a new deck?

Right now Kinkou runs 6 Freljord/34 Ionia with
    10 spells (3 Elixir of Iron, 3 Twin Disciplines, 3 Will of Ionia, 1 Deny)
    18 elusives (3 Navori Bladescout, 3 Greenglade Duo, 3 Navori Conspirator, 3 Shadow Assassin, 3 Kinkou Lifeblade, 3 Windfarer Hatchling)
    12 other creatures (3 Omen Hawks, 3 Zed, 3 Kinkou Wayfinder, 3 Jeweled Protector)

If we shift more towards Freljord buffs; say Shared Spoils, Starlit Seer, and Fury of the North, then we probably drop Navori Conspirator (don't want to bounce buffed stuff) and Kinkou Wayfinder (more likely not to hit allegiance).

Then we have something with 15 Freljord/25 Ionia
    13 spells (3 Elixir of Iron, 3 Fury of the North, 3 Shared Spoils, 3 Will of Ionia, 1 Deny)
    15 elusives (3 Navori Bladescout, 3 Greenglade Duo, 3 Shadow Assassin, 3 Kinkou Lifeblade, 3 Windfarer Hatchling)
    12 other creatures (3 Omen Hawks, 3 Starlit Seer, 3 Zed, 3 Jeweled Protector)

Seer replaces Conspirator as a T2 play. We don't get an immediate payoff since T3 we also want to develop Zed/SA, but T4 is usually a combat trick to fend off removal.

Losing Conspirator chip is rough, but I guess you're not guaranteed to curve it out on T2 anyway.

I think it would be a variant on Kinkou. Less spammy more one big dude. You don't want to be buffing your bladescouts, you want big Duos, Lifeblades, etc. I think the lines you're going along there are pretty reasonable, maybe stuffing Solitary monk in since it really only needs one or two buffs to be out of hand even if you are losing tempo on the bounce back.

• Options
    Playing around with it, using Yusari over Bladescouts. Actually somehow beating Plunder decks but also noticing that I have a ton of cards in hand and not enough mana to play them.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I didn't mean to get my hand but imagine I have several decent bodies on the board
    zCzrY3jh.jpg
    Expedition is a fun game mode :)

Coinage on
  • Options
    Playing around with it, using Yusari over Bladescouts. Actually somehow beating Plunder decks but also noticing that I have a ton of cards in hand and not enough mana to play them.

I'm pretty confident I'll be playing elusive burn to ladder mostly because even if you have a decent matchup sometimes you just can't interact with the elusives you lose. That and scouts maybe.

• Options
    Anivia is still bad folks. She pwns the board, too bad fast, midrange, and slow post-bilgewater are built around cards that deal direct nexus damage!

• Options
    scmkuu4oqw651.png

Icon rewards for the first two gauntlets. Top two are the first one, bottom are singleton. Left are participation and the rights are 7 wins. It looks like it is expedition style so you can't lose twice in a row, so these will probably be meaningfully difficult to get. Both of the 7 wins are pretty dang cool.

• Options
    If every game is a 50-50 coinflip then getting 7 wins is 17% likely on your first run, 53% likely by your fourth run, and 84% likely by your tenth run. So exclusivity will largely depend on how many runs they let us make.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    If every game is a 50-50 coinflip then getting 7 wins is 17% likely on your first run, 53% likely by your fourth run, and 84% likely by your tenth run. So exclusivity will largely depend on how many runs they let us make.

It's as many as you want, but you only have four days to do it.

Meanwhile, I'm 5-1 with elusive burn and I'm being a real fun vampire. I can almost feel the revulsion and hatred on the other side of the screen.

Edit: also this master's rank icon looks dumb.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    I swapped out Sej for Braum in my Anivia deck. Lots of aggro which I've mostly been able to beat. Only losses came to bad draws or the aggro player having one last bit of burn. Of course, it's Silver now, so who knows what's happening down here.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Anivia is still bad folks. She pwns the board, too bad fast, midrange, and slow post-bilgewater are built around cards that deal direct nexus damage!

I've only played her in expidition with the card that makes things epheral and then you have 3 anivia. She's good in expedition

• Options
    Yeah, Anivia can be solid in expeditions because of how slow the games there play.

Anivia's problem is, as I've seen it put, she's a more expensive Miss Fortune that has to attack to get her effect.

• Options
    Yeah, Anivia can be solid in expeditions because of how slow the games there play.

Anivia's problem is, as I've seen it put, she's a more expensive Miss Fortune that has to attack to get her effect.

Eh, they're similar but Anivia is stickier, damages the opponent whether they block or not, and her level up is...easier? Kind of?

• Options
    Were we supposed to get rewards for our ranked level?

• Options

Eh, they're similar but Anivia is stickier, damages the opponent whether they block or not, and her level up is...easier? Kind of?

Anivia costs twice as much (used to be more then twice as much) and so comes out way later. And is only harder to get rid of once you are at 10 mana. By which point a lot of the time the game is already over. And she has to actually attack to get her effect meaning it's much easier for the enemy to pick her off.

Basically all the ways in which she's better then MF depend on her being played in a very slow game so they end up not actually being meaningful.

• Options
    So... If Ashe is leveled and on the board, and a unit has been challenged that otherwise can't block, if you swap that unit with another unit via a spell, the unit that can't block gets left on the backline, even if they are swapped with another blocker. Which my opponent learned to their chagrin.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Were we supposed to get rewards for our ranked level?

Just icons. I expect this will change eventually.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i just don't like any of the reward icons they've put so far because it's not a cool face

i like all the card art icons because they're cool faces

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

It's as many as you want, but you only have four days to do it.

Meanwhile, I'm 5-1 with elusive burn and I'm being a real fun vampire. I can almost feel the revulsion and hatred on the other side of the screen.

Edit: also this master's rank icon looks dumb.

I'm sticking with the beta one, it's less aggressively neon and not as busy of a design.

uvs4fZS.jpg?1

I'm also hoping they'll let us use the others if we got a higher up one in the future, the Gold/Plat ones look great.

EGfHJDL.png?1