Options

[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Microsoft appears to have gone for raw beef, which is what everyone expected, Sony appears to have done a lot more under the hood to make sure the beef they had was better cooked, if I'm to torture the analogy.

Except for the CPU, where Sony is definitely going with the "raw beef" solution. Analogies are hard.

I don't mind taking your word for it, I don't follower developers on Twitter, etc., but I was curious.

I recently started a new job, which has been made a million times more hectic due to coronavirus preperations, so I wasn't able to track down the comments for you. I'll definitely do it when I get home though.

Don't worry about it. I have a lot of free time in my city while everyone's waiting to see if a curfew is going to be put into effect or not. I'm starting to go stir-crazy like my neighbors.

On broader note, I beat Vambrace and am most of the way through my second playthrough of the game. I can still see why it wasn't a runaway success.

Damn that lovely art style and adorable sense of humor.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Ace Combat 7 is an excellent game and everyone should give it a spin now that it's on Game Pass.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    First point: I still don't really know how to use Twitter easily.

Second point: I think this is getting at what Scottsman was mentioning.

And I'm inclined to agree: in a year, arguing about "memory bandwidth" and "gigabits per second" and other easily misunderstood terms is probably going to seem silly.

Unless the consoles get delayed, and we'll still be doing it.

Call me a cynic, but that seems like a breathlessly hyperbolic statement - and from a developer who, at Ready at Dawn, has been largely focused on varieties of Sony PlayStation hardware for most of the last two decades. I'm not saying he's wrong, obviously he knows far more than I do about what's coming down the pipe, but the phrasing in particular seems a little... over the top?

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I think a point to consider in terms of load times/specs/etc is that it's a reasonable assumption that if the hardware lets you do a special thing the other platforms don't, you then have to design with that taken into account. So now you need to cover special and not-special cases in your release process.

Alternately, you could just use not-special everywhere, sell the same thing (basically) on all the platforms, and not have a headache.

Not to discount anything either has done here, it's just that if one console lets you do X and Y with specific hardware capabilities, it's very likely that only the exclusives will really lean into that, as always.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

And I'm inclined to agree: in a year, arguing about "memory bandwidth" and "gigabits per second" and other easily misunderstood terms is probably going to seem silly.

Call me a cynic, but that seems like a breathlessly hyperbolic statement - and from a developer who, at Ready at Dawn, has been largely focused on varieties of Sony PlayStation hardware for most of the last two decades. I'm not saying he's wrong, obviously he knows far more than I do about what's coming down the pipe, but the phrasing in particular seems a little... over the top?

Yeah, I fail to see how arguing about "teraflops" is a silly waste of time, but arguing about "gigabit per second memory bandwidth" is gospel, which is sort of the implication. It could be a genuine sentiment, but that wasn't a very sound way of conveying it. In other words, welcome to Twitter.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

The important bit is Jason Scrier saying he's beening hearing similar sentiment from multiple developers.

• Options

The important bit is Jason Scrier saying he's beening hearing similar sentiment from multiple developers.

I'd be curious if said multiple developers are also ones tending to focus strongly on Sony hardware rather than multi-platform development.

• Options
    Jason Schreier is our Walter Cronkite.

If you've lost Jason Schreier, you've lost gamer middle America.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Eh I would say usually with consoles, the more ambitious the better. That being said it depends on how they move the needle, and the general consensus is that both machines are doing a lot under the hood, to the point where a lot of the early games I'm sure will look and run fairly identically. The really telling time will be 3-4 years in once devs are unchained from old hardware and able to go really bananas with them

Sony has learned from the mistakes of the disastrous Core processor for the PS3, and MS has learned not to shove hardware like Kinect into people's hands. The focus is on the machine, because the machine will run the games. I think the next big step for Sony would be having an answer to game pass that isn't a streaming option, but we'll see. I think Xbox has wagered hard on the subscription service model, and having all first party releases on there is genius and something I think Sony would do well to copy

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I took a quick glance at Schreier's Twitter and found something else, unrelated to this discussion, which I have now posted here in the General Coronavirus thread in D&D; see the spoiler if you'd rather stay in this thread, but I don't want to derail this thread too much.

Jazz on
  • Options
    "Essential retail." Great, now Gamestop is acting like its a local brewery.

(Breweries are staying open for customers in my city.)

• Options
    Oh god, I better stock up on edibles while I can.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    they have to stay open, we can't let our the virus ruin our national Funko Pop and Shitty T-Shirt supplies

• Options
    Yay, lunch break.

Apparently a very large amount of the dev comments I saw were indeed from Sony companies, so maybe I won't sign the Series X's death certificate quite yet.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    To be fair, I bet some customers of Doom Eternal and Animal Crossing feel the same way as Gamestop Corporate. Not that that makes it right but...

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Also, don’t forget that Microsoft did announce ray tracing for sound (along with Machine Learning, a thing that isn’t built into the PS5 at all) so I don’t think they will be lacking for sound quality either. It’s just not something they were focusing on for this tech dive (seemed to mainly show off the backwards compatibility, how quickly they could build an improved version of an already impressive game, load times, ray tracing, etc). If you think that the Series X is aall brawn and has no specialties and that the PS5 is much better thought out, you’re falling for the SONY marketing and not seeing what’s already been put out there by MS. Each will surely have their strengths and weaknesses, but I’m really curious why SONY chose to focus on the top boost speeds of their system rather than giving us the entire range. It makes it seem like they have more to hide than Microsoft does.

Another odd thing about the PS5 is that we’re about six to seven months out and we have no idea what it will look like. We finally have an idea about its max power and capabilities, but, unlike Microsoft, SONY is keeping what the system looks like close to the chest and is looking less sure of themselves than they were the PS4. Of course that could be because Microsoft left themselves wide open when announcing the previous gen and SONY only had to not screw up to do well and they handily did that. This time there is no monumental failure to compare themselves against and make them look amazing, but at least they aren’t full of the hubris that hurt the PS3 so badly.

• Options
    Unless I'm mistaken, Sony didn't reveal how the PS4 looked until E3 that year.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Yay, lunch break.

Apparently a very large amount of the dev comments I saw were indeed from Sony companies, so maybe I won't sign the Series X's death certificate quite yet.

Yeah, like I mean it sounds like an awesome thing, but until we're at new-gen only, single-platform only, I don't think anything will truly take advantage of whatever that enables, and it's kind of up in the air to me what that enables that other platforms can't do.

• Options
    Nitsua wrote: »
    ...at least they aren’t full of the hubris that hurt the PS3 so badly.

I'm not ruling out the PS5 being "five hundred and ninety nine US dollars" again, though :wink:

E3 2006 was a gift that kept on giving.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

I'm not ruling out the PS5 being "five hundred and ninety nine US dollars" again, though :wink:

Was that the RIDGE RACER year? Caused I loved that meme. I really miss the Kaz Hirai joke account.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

Was that the RIDGE RACER year? Caused I loved that meme. I really miss the Kaz Hirai joke account.

yup. same year as giant enemy crabs and massive damage! too.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    sony was really just on another one that year. they used the spiderman font as their primary branding!

• Options
    sony was really just on another one that year. they used the spiderman font as their primary branding!

It truly was a Golden Age. Peak Sony.

• Options
    DPLarcadiaDPLarcadia Registered User new member
    So, with the sudden change in lifestyle as my partner now works from home, im looking at getting a headset for my xbone. Anyone have any suggestions? I had someone suggest hyperX cloud 2's, but they seemed to be more designed for PC. Xbox headsets seem to be a different beast.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    DPLarcadia wrote: »
    So, with the sudden change in lifestyle as my partner now works from home, im looking at getting a headset for my xbone. Anyone have any suggestions? I had someone suggest hyperX cloud 2's, but they seemed to be more designed for PC. Xbox headsets seem to be a different beast.

i have a Turtle Beach XO One set that i've been very happy with. really comfortable fit, sound quality is great, detachable mic if you just want it for sound and not chat.

• Options

I use a LucidSound LS35X, which is a great headset, but admittedly is a bit more high-end (it supports Dolby Atmos, and has a pretty high quality mic). Windows Central did a pretty good rundown on the best Xbox headsets at a variety of price points.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Sonny? I heard he became a goat herder.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yeah Schrier and co. hyping up the possibilities of the new SSD hotness smacks to me of developers looking at hardware and letting their imaginations run wild.

I'm super interested in seeing their console exclusives take off in whatever exciting directions they're going for, but I don't see multiplatform games (ie. the vast majority of games) getting on board with this revolution they keep talking about

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Developers are always impartial. I only see raw unfiltered truth in that post.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Xbox still looks like it has Sony beat with backwards compatibility. While it’s not something that a lot of gamers actually use apparently, I feel like it’s still a great feature of the Xbox ecosystem personally

Prohass on
  • Options

Sonny? I heard he became a goat herder.

That's a name I haven't heard in a long time...

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

i have a Turtle Beach XO One set that i've been very happy with. really comfortable fit, sound quality is great, detachable mic if you just want it for sound and not chat.

I've got the Turtle Beach Stealth 600s, pretty happy with them. Really like that they're fully wireless. I got em on sale at black Friday but if I had to do it again I would go for one of the nicer sets. The Turtle Beaches aren't uncomfortable, but they could be more comfortable, ya know?

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Xbox still looks like it has Sony beat with backwards compatibility. While it’s not something that a lot of gamers actually use apparently, I feel like it’s still a great feature of the Xbox ecosystem personally

With most everything being available digitally, backwards compatibility has a lot more meaning I think. Especially with how many titles get boosts on modern hardware. It increases the convenience, both for existing owners to get access to their library (the digital games, at least) as well as new gamers to be able to get access to games they may have missed, or flatly just been too young to play.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I really hope that after Series X launches, they go back to making more 360 and OGX games backwards compatible (sorry if I said that before, I lose track).

And bummer about no HDMI in -- that's how I'm able to watch TV without unplugging anything, as I've got PS4 and Switch plugging the other two ports.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

Can't say I trust the judgement of the studio who gave us The Order 1886 and now make games you never heard of for Oculus. Sounds like some Sony ass kissing so they can go back to making 2nd tier titles based on first party IP.

Speaking of Sony, what was with that bizarre ps5 reveal / discussion in front of what looked like cardboard cutouts?

Nosf on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I assume they were recording Cerny in front of a Live Studio Audience(tm) in lieu of the audience they had planned to give it to at GDC so they needed to keep up appearances

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    On non speculative news I've been playing a lot of Children of Morta on Game Pass and really enjoying it. It's a rogue-like but instead of starting at the beginning of a big dungeon every time it's broken up into a successive series of mini dungeons that are all about 3 floors deep with a boss at the end. Being able to beat a boss and unlock the next dungeon really helps with sense of progression.

There's 6 characters (I've only unlocked 5 so far but they all feel really distinct) each with their own skill tree and abilities. Every 4 points or so in a skill tree unlocks a unique trait that applies to every character. There's also a more standard set of upgrades like damage, health, move speed, etc that you can purchase with gold found in the dungeons and apply to all the characters.

Combat is tight and I love the art style. It's also got local coop, no online yet but they say it's coming. If you're looking for something that you can sit down for 15-30 minute chunks and still feel like you're progressing you should check it out.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

Yeah knowing any game I pick up on my one will be there for me on the series x and not just the top 100 is a big plus.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    I assume they were recording Cerny in front of a Live Studio Audience(tm) in lieu of the audience they had planned to give it to at GDC so they needed to keep up appearances

It was going to be a GDC talk, so I guess they wanted it to look like it really was one (except weirder)

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »

It was going to be a GDC talk, so I guess they wanted it to look like it really was one (except weirder)

Yeah, COVID-19 has unsurprisingly tanked plans for a bunch of companies. We can't even rule out a possible delay to the console launch.