Options

[Xbox] Game Pass - 10 million subscribers and counting

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I played 3 without playing any of the others, I enjoyed the Disney stuff and just tuned out the Metal gear anime but with goofy and Mickey Mouse nonsense.

The last section of the game is like peak anime nonsense

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Nier Automita is on Gamepass now.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    It's pretty abnormal for spinoffs to not be, y'know, spinoffs, and instead be vital parts of the story where they retcon in the main villain and introduce half the cast.

They aren't spinoffs. They're games in the franchise. That's the really simple answer to this Sphinx riddle you've proposed. Did people act this confused when Peace Walker continued MGS3 and then V came after that? I really don't think so.

You: Why does this spinoff directly continue the story and introduce important characters?
    Developer: We... never said it was a spinoff?
    You: But it has a subtitle, so therefore...
    Developer: Games don't always have numbered sequels, mix and matching different title styles is incredibly common.
    Yeah, the game called "Chain of Memories" and not "Kingdom Hearts 2" that release on the game boy advance is very clearly a mainline game. You're talking about how it's super obvious but given how the majority of people are confused by it, it's evidently not! I've seen you have this same argument a few times now, and I gotta ask how many times is this going to have to be not obvious to people before you realize it's not obvious?

I kinda thought Square releasing the games in a package on the same system, in the order you should play them would clear it up? And to be frank, it did to anyone who actually was confused and not memeing or trying to take a dump on the games from an oblique angle.

The names really, really don't help, to this day. I still have to stop and remember the difference between Dream Drop Distance and 358/2 Days. Not to mention the sheer volume of collections with goofy names.

Not to mention the content, given that some games are more important to the plot than others. Hell, they threw in that weird web-based game that had nothing to do with anything else in the main plot.

Though the good news is that later games do a decent job of summarizing and explaining what came before. Well, to the extent that it can be summarized and explained.

The sheer volume of collections = 3. It's 3. This is what I'm talking about. Who in the world is blown away by a series that has run for 3 console generations having 3 collections? As far as what you Need to play? I mean... none of them? If you mean, to get the most out of the story? The 3 collections, then. That's why they released them and called it "The Story So Far". It's a completely solved equation.

Regarding the mobile game, it's the backdoor pilot for the next part of the story, it turns out. Just as Halo and Gears of War and God of War have all resolved their initial plots and started a new arc, KH3 resolves the initial incident and pivots to a new set of problems, circumstances, and characters.

Gears of War and God of War don't have unnecessarily convoluted plots and gigantic numbers of games with varying degrees of impact on the overall plot, though. They're pretty straightforward, other than going from God of War 3 to God of War.

Meanwhile you have crap like Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue, which includes Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Birth by Sleep – A Fragmentary Passage, and Kingdom Hearts χ Back Cover, which bounce the hell around and, in the case of the latter two games, have little to do with the Sora stuff people associate Kingdom Hearts with.

Even the names are enough to make plenty of people go "nope, this is too damn much."

Plus it's five collections -- you're forgetting the combinations of 1.5 and 2.5, and the 1.5, 2.5, and 2.8 package.

And I was referring to the web game wherein Mickey and co. create virtual versions of Kingdom Hearts characters and visit them for no apparent reason.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Gears has 6 games and counting (it will be 7 as of Tactics and 8 if you include the remaster of 1), God of War has 7 and counting. That's still a lot of games. And both series have prequel games inserted during the middle of their series, which according to the bad faith arguments in here is... very confusing or bad somehow? Back to KH, they ported the 1.5 and 2.5 collections to another console gen. I'm not forgetting anything, it's unclear what point you're even trying to make with that. You're saying it's... confusing to the customer that the collections are all purchasable for the current gen consoles? Or that it's confusing that you can buy the same games on the Ps3 OR the Ps4? So I guess Shadow of the Colossus was confusing since you can buy it on Ps2, Ps3, and Ps4?

People are doing this special pleading baloney where common market trends (ports, remasters, collections) are mysterious and/ or hilarious when KH do them. It makes you sound insincere. Yeah for Ps3, they sold 1.5 and then subsequently 2.5. For the next generation, they just sold them both together since they had already been done. That's... good? And not confusing in the slightest, the title of the Ps4 version is literally 1.5 + 2.5. And then the cover is the two previous covers put side by side with a line down the middle. And the back of the box is a list of everything that's included, with a brief description of what each thing is. For consumers who had the previous ones, there's no need to rebuy that unless they really want to.

Regarding 2.8, no it doesn't bounce the hell around. The 2.5 Collection is 2, a prequel (if you numbered it, you could call it 0.5), and a movie made because it was impractical to port that third game. So what's 2.8? A sequel to 2 (you could call it 2.5), a sequel to the prequel (they do call it 0.8, as in after 0.5 and before 1), and another movie made for the same reason as the movie in 2.5. So if you strip out the silly names, the 2.8 collection is... the sequels to both games in the previous collection. How CONFUSING!!! Yes, I imagine the names are a turn off to some consumers. So is the fact that the games are very Disney related, that's neither here nor there. The games are popular hits, so clearly a large portion of the consumer base is willing to roll with silly names if the games are fun.

Finally, gonna need you to use a name here. Virtual worlds have been a part of the franchise since Tron in KH2. Both Coded and the current mobile game are about large virtual worlds, for different reasons.

Edit: I'd say I'm tired of arguing about this stuff but clearly I'm not. I'm in self isolation and could go back and forth on it forever. What I'm actually tired of is people making arguments they never would for any other series, because they're unfamiliar and/ or just don't care. Or there's complaints about things that are unambiguously good, like how you can easily start the series from scratch on your current day console and play through every major entry in excellent remake/Remastered games.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Is this about Kingdom Hearts somehow? Because as somebody who never cared much about it, I'm having some difficulty following along.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Sea of Thieves is coming to Steam with full cross-play. no release date yet but the store page is live.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/4/2/21204292/sea-of-thieves-steam-pc-microsoft

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Is this about Kingdom Hearts somehow? Because as somebody who never cared much about it, I'm having some difficulty following along.

I don't want to piss in anyone's cornflakes because everyone deserves to enjoy what they love without reservation, but needing to expend effort to explain the naming conventions for sequels and prequels was already aggravating for series like Metal Gear (a franchise I love dearly) and it sounds just as bad here lol

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

I don't want to piss in anyone's cornflakes because everyone deserves to enjoy what they love without reservation, but needing to expend effort to explain the naming conventions for sequels and prequels was already aggravating for series like Metal Gear (a franchise I love dearly) and it sounds just as bad here lol

This is on a whole different level from Metal Gear, I think! :lol:

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

This is on a whole different level from Metal Gear, I think! :lol:

Substantially less crotch grabbing, to start.

Sorry, strategic genital holstering.

• Options
    Gears has 6 games and counting (it will be 7 as of Tactics and 8 if you include the remaster of 1), God of War has 7 and counting. That's still a lot of games. And both series have prequel games inserted during the middle of their series, which according to the bad faith arguments in here is... very confusing or bad somehow? Back to KH, they ported the 1.5 and 2.5 collections to another console gen. I'm not forgetting anything, it's unclear what point you're even trying to make with that. You're saying it's... confusing to the customer that the collections are all purchasable for the current gen consoles? Or that it's confusing that you can buy the same games on the Ps3 OR the Ps4? So I guess Shadow of the Colossus was confusing since you can buy it on Ps2, Ps3, and Ps4?

People are doing this special pleading baloney where common market trends (ports, remasters, collections) are mysterious and/ or hilarious when KH do them. It makes you sound insincere. Yeah for Ps3, they sold 1.5 and then subsequently 2.5. For the next generation, they just sold them both together since they had already been done. That's... good? And not confusing in the slightest, the title of the Ps4 version is literally 1.5 + 2.5. And then the cover is the two previous covers put side by side with a line down the middle. And the back of the box is a list of everything that's included, with a brief description of what each thing is. For consumers who had the previous ones, there's no need to rebuy that unless they really want to.

Regarding 2.8, no it doesn't bounce the hell around. The 2.5 Collection is 2, a prequel (if you numbered it, you could call it 0.5), and a movie made because it was impractical to port that third game. So what's 2.8? A sequel to 2 (you could call it 2.5), a sequel to the prequel (they do call it 0.8, as in after 0.5 and before 1), and another movie made for the same reason as the movie in 2.5. So if you strip out the silly names, the 2.8 collection is... the sequels to both games in the previous collection. How CONFUSING!!! Yes, I imagine the names are a turn off to some consumers. So is the fact that the games are very Disney related, that's neither here nor there. The games are popular hits, so clearly a large portion of the consumer base is willing to roll with silly names if the games are fun.

Finally, gonna need you to use a name here. Virtual worlds have been a part of the franchise since Tron in KH2. Both Coded and the current mobile game are about large virtual worlds, for different reasons.

Edit: I'd say I'm tired of arguing about this stuff but clearly I'm not. I'm in self isolation and could go back and forth on it forever. What I'm actually tired of is people making arguments they never would for any other series, because they're unfamiliar and/ or just don't care. Or there's complaints about things that are unambiguously good, like how you can easily start the series from scratch on your current day console and play through every major entry in excellent remake/Remastered games.

I've played all the Kingdom Hearts games. I know what I'm talking about. You can't "fake geek girl" me here. (The random "bad faith" accusations are also a nice touch.) I love them but holy god, the original plot is a mess. And no, no other game series has as crazy a naming convention as Kingdom Hearts. (Well, maybe Bravely Default, but there's only three of them.)

And yes, 2.8 does bounce around plot-wise. DDD is in the time of Sora. Fragmentary passage is during the time of Aqua, 10 years earlier, and doesn't involve any of the major characters in DDD. And Back Passage is from X, which is from the time of the Foretellers, which is long, long before either of those. And doesn't involve any of the major characters in the others. And is a sequel to a browser game that never got released in the west. So not exactly welcoming to newbies.

Also, the fact that I talked about one of the KH games that was set in a virtual world and you responded with "well, which game set in which virtual world?" kinda proves my point that the overall plot is a baffling mess. (Yes, I'm talking about Re:Coded)

• Options
    Again, I never pushed back at all on "Kingdom Hearts has a strange plot that is overwritten/ underwritten/ poorly written." Sure, that checks out. I pushed back on stuff like "Wow, it's confusing that sometimes long running series have entries about side characters or entries that are prequels!" Uh... no. That's very common in all kinds of fiction.

2.8 features direct sequels to both of the playable games in 2.5. Since you didn't address that, I'll just repeat it. Any new fan who just finished playing 2.5 would find 2.8 interesting and easy to understand. 2 ends with Sora and Riku receiving a new mission in a letter. DDD is that mission. BBS ends with Aqua lost in a scary place. 0.8 is what happens to her in that scary place. It's honestly as straightforward as you could possibly ask for.

In a meta sense, Coded exists to introduce unfamiliar Japanese fans to the series in a way they could enjoy at the time (a zero budget browser game). No console required, no backstory needed because you're basically playing through 1 again. However, they had the engine from the DS game 358/2 already done and the sales from that suggested another game would sell, so they did a remake/ port. It's the least essential game in the series because of its background, but the DS game is fun to play and well made, while the movie in the 2.5 collection... exists.

Finally, regarding virtual worlds, if you're fine with including Tron as a world... this is the consequence of that. We now have these facts established, completely based on Tron and Tron: Legacy.
    -AI are smart enough to be sentient.
    -Flesh and blood lifeforms can be converted directly to a digital existence and interact with computer programs.
    -The reverse can also happen, programs can be given physical bodies.

• Options
    Again, I never pushed back at all on "Kingdom Hearts has a strange plot that is overwritten/ underwritten/ poorly written." Sure, that checks out. I pushed back on stuff like "Wow, it's confusing that sometimes long running series have entries about side characters or entries that are prequels!" Uh... no. That's very common in all kinds of fiction.

Gonna stop you right there. What other long-running game series has a single, ongoing narrative that's as bloated and confusing as Kingdom Hearts?

(And no, Legend of Zelda doesn't count because the majority of the games are self-contained and don't directly continue a narrative, even if the "timeline" Nintendo cobbled together is madness)

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What difference does it make?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Sea of Thieves is coming to Steam with full cross-play. no release date yet but the store page is live.

I'm living in the age of crossplay and I'm loving it

• Options

Hey, that's the cruz of the argument he's putting forth and we're bored, so what the hell.

• Options

Hey, that's the cruz of the argument he's putting forth and we're bored, so what the hell.

He said 'all kinds of fiction'.

• Options

He said 'all kinds of fiction'.

Better to compare apples to apples here. Video game narrative is a lot different than narrative in other mediums. And right now, Kingdom Hearts is the confusing king of vidja game narratives.

• Options

Gonna stop you right there. What other long-running game series has a single, ongoing narrative that's as bloated and confusing as Kingdom Hearts?

(And no, Legend of Zelda doesn't count because the majority of the games are self-contained and don't directly continue a narrative, even if the "timeline" Nintendo cobbled together is madness)

People have already mentioned Metal Gear Solid. I would also throw in Castlevania and the Fate series of games/ anime what have you. And you can deny Zelda but people CLEARLY care about this timeline nonsense and have since... Ocarina maybe?

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Or just... this (warning, you'll never get those 3 minutes of your life back).
    I watched this an inexplicably just started laughing every time the bulb was turned back on. The halfway point almost had me in tears. In a very strange way, I feel like that was 3 minutes worth watching. I can't explain why.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

People have already mentioned Metal Gear Solid. I would also throw in Castlevania and the Fate series of games/ anime what have you. And you can deny Zelda but people CLEARLY care about this timeline nonsense and have since... Ocarina maybe?

I don't know anything about Fate, but yeah, it looks like a mess. Metal Gear Solid I'll give you, though its spinoffs are pretty self-contained and the "main" plot only has five games worth of material. Castlevania games are, for the most part, also self-contained. Same with Zelda. Despite the confusing timeline Nintendo put together the plot of, say, Breath of the Wild is pretty much "Hyrule has been apocalypse'd. Are you a bad enough dude to defeat Calamity Ganon?"

Meanwhile the plot of Kingdom Hearts 3 makes zero sense unless you've played 1, 2, and Birth by Sleep (and playing all the others helps) because ALL the crazy convoluted stuff thrown at you in the previous games matters from moment one and isn't explained. (Granted there's a codex to catch you up, but I've long said that if you have to dive into the codex to have the basic plot make sense, something's gone horribly wrong.)

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    So, I don't feel qualified to talk about Kingdom Hearts' overreaching overarching storyline, because I'm not familiar with it.

I am familiar with the overarching storyline of the Metal Gear Solid franchise, right up to it's "conclusion" in MGS4. So I can say confidently, it's a fucking train wreck of occasionally self-retconning always hamfisted melodramatic writing.

If you enjoy hamfisted melodrama, or just are sexually aroused by helicopters, tanks, and rather out-of-place cleavage, it's definitely a keeper.
    Wraith260 wrote: »

I'm living in the age of crossplay and I'm loving it

Sea of Thieves (Steam Edition)--for those who want to play Sea of Thieves and pay money for it.

(Actually, as someone with a general distaste for subscription services-services, I'd probably be one of those people were it not my general distaste for Steam.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    If you <snip> are sexually aroused by <snip> rather out-of-place cleavage, it's definitely a keeper.

...well then.

• Options
    Message from Xbox Live seems to contradict Toybox Turbos being on GWG on the 16th; it says it's gonna be Blinx: The Time Sweeper instead!

Not convinced that's a trade up, but still...

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Might be a regional thing.

I'd be down with giving Blinx a try.

• Options
    I remember Blinx as unspectacular, but nowhere near the train wreck some would have had us believe it was. It was okay, as I recall. Definitely from the MS studios' "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" era of original Xbox games, which did turn out some gems.

And I'm not too bothered if I get that, I've got Toybox Turbos on Steam already.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Think I heard Blinx 2 was better. Always wanted to try them, though, and this would be a good way.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Amazon has a promotional if you buy 3 months of Game Pass Ultimate for $45--you'll get another 3 bonus months on top of that. Sounds like a good deal.

I may hold off on it because I'm paid for Gamepass until December 2022, but still. It's tempting.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Grabbed Nier Automata and I don't know what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't this. Bullet hell 3rd person action game is fun but I'm not digging the whole make me replay the stupid intro every time I die. Stupid giant saws

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    Grabbed Nier Automata and I don't know what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't this. Bullet hell 3rd person action game is fun but I'm not digging the whole make me replay the stupid intro every time I die. Stupid giant saws

Dodging makes you near invincible and you have many potions to use when you're hurt. Just be more careful.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »

The game's introduction is not.....very informative. Nor is the second one. And it's not hard, I think, so much as just very bad at teaching the player how the game actually works. Even after you exclude all the mechanics deliberately concealed in the name of "mystery" and won't be touched on until a later playthrough.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Anybody else having the Xbox servers seemingly throttling? I haven't been able to get above 90Mb/s (my pipe is 400Mb/s max and usually cruises between 300 and 320 most days) for the last 36 hours or so. Seems to be effecting their Movie/TV stuff as well, because 4K content is playing back like shit and I had to knock it down to regular HD to get consistently watchable framerates.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Anybody else having the Xbox servers seemingly throttling? I haven't been able to get above 90Mb/s (my pipe is 400Mb/s max and usually cruises between 300 and 320 most days) for the last 36 hours or so. Seems to be effecting their Movie/TV stuff as well, because 4K content is playing back like shit and I had to knock it down to regular HD to get consistently watchable framerates.
    Pandemic, dude. All of the major internet companies are throttling in some way or other.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Amazon has a promotional if you buy 3 months of Game Pass Ultimate for $45--you'll get another 3 bonus months on top of that. Sounds like a good deal.

I may hold off on it because I'm paid for Gamepass until December 2022, but still. It's tempting.
    And available in the UK, too! Thanks, I was nearly due for a re-up and hoping to see some kind of special offer. :)

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Pandemic, dude. All of the major internet companies are throttling in some way or other.

It's the first I'd run into since I started hunkering down. Thus far my ISP has been keeping things steady and normal. Restarted my gateway and routers and the jam has seemingly cleared, might've just needed to clear their caches and reset addresses, considering I've been putting loads of throughput in them the last 3 weeks.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

To my (pleasant) surprise, Charter Spectrum so far has been keeping up where I live--230 mb/s down, 11 (yes, a whole eleven) mb/s up, as with last year. Hopefully that holds out. And of course, that's just my ISP.

• Options

And available in the UK, too! Thanks, I was nearly due for a re-up and hoping to see some kind of special offer. :)

D'you reckon that's stackable? Like, buy two and get 12 months total (3+3+3+3)?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Usually yes

• Options
    Cool, it worked fine. I'm paid up into January 2022. Cheers guys! :+1:

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Is that gamepass deal over? Not seeing the bonus 3 month thing anymore.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/