As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Witcher] Watching Season 2 is Your Destiny, Probably

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I imagine that describes the vast, overwhelming majority of people who consume the games and/or shows

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I don't even know how to read

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't even know how to read

Also you smell like poop

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Boating/swimming fucking sucks in Witcher 3.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Is there any video game where like taking of your boots and armour and leaving them on the shore or something helps you with swimming?
    Just thought of that because for the in-game character swimming with all their stuff should suck.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I sometimes find myself wanting a game that leans stupid hard into inventory and weight management.

Like, you can't swim with all your gear on or you drown. Or you can only carry one or two weapons and the armor your wearing. Everything else has to fit into a satchel or something so you have to pick a few provisions or items before you head out.

Loot a dungeon? Better have a horse and a pack mule that you can load up cause you ain't hauling those three enchanted axes, two armor sets and 500 gold coins out in your pockets.

It would either be great or the worst game ever made I dunno.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Boating/swimming fucking sucks in Witcher 3.

Agreed, but neither annoy me as much as the horse riding.

• Options
    Roach is trying his best how dare you

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I sometimes find myself wanting a game that leans stupid hard into inventory and weight management.

Like, you can't swim with all your gear on or you drown. Or you can only carry one or two weapons and the armor your wearing. Everything else has to fit into a satchel or something so you have to pick a few provisions or items before you head out.

Loot a dungeon? Better have a horse and a pack mule that you can load up cause you ain't hauling those three enchanted axes, two armor sets and 500 gold coins out in your pockets.

This is basically how I play games these days. I think it was Fallout NV that got me out of the packrat habit of just picking up everything. Now I'll have my equipped stuff and only one or two other weapons or bits of armour to sell. Find something more valuable, have to dump what I'm carrying.

But I quite enjoy struggling for money, especially in something like Witcher where you're basically a tramp. I got bored in Fallout hauling dozens of guns back from every dungeon, getting rich, and never having anything to spend the money on. And now if I find a treasure chest full of jewelry or something it actually feels like a big deal.

My brother complained about inventory space constantly when he played Witcher 3, but he picked up every broken rake and mouldy apple he came across, he couldn't help himself.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular

Isn’t this just Death Stranding?

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I think after 5 hours or so I started visually filtering out the containers that I knew wouldn't contain anything of consequence. I wish those just didn't exist at all. The crafting system could be simplified by 30% and lose nothing.

• Options
    I enjoy the crafting, but good gods I'd give at least one finger for an inventory screen like Skyrim so o don't have to select every item individually to see its attributes. Looking through formulae or crafting diagrams at a merchant suuuucks. And weirdly nobody seems to have modded this.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I love Witcher 3 , but bless their hearts I think much of their bedrock gameplay systems are not good, like inventory management, crafting as a result of that, Geralt and Roach's movement. I'd still love a another Witcher game with a lot of... polish in it.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Septus wrote: »
    I love Witcher 3 , but bless their hearts I think much of their bedrock gameplay systems are not good, like inventory management, crafting as a result of that, Geralt and Roach's movement. I'd still love a another Witcher game with a lot of... polish in it.

You're in luck, CD Projekt Red is a Polish studio.

• Options
    Boo. Boo!

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Boo. Boo!

Counterpoint: that was a good joke.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I wish I could force Witcher 3 to Souls-Borne controller bindings on the PS4 (edit: that mod exists on PC but my computer cannot run 3)

The combat handles just similarly enough that, when I get into combat for the first time in a long while, I keep making that mistake of trying to use the shoulder buttons

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Is there any video game where like taking of your boots and armour and leaving them on the shore or something helps you with swimming?
    Just thought of that because for the in-game character swimming with all their stuff should suck.

If you strip off your clothes you swim faster in BOTW

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    I am really curious what this hairstyle I've given Geralt would look like if he took down his ponytail. It's like a mohawk mixed with a mullet.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Well I ordered the Last Wish and Sword of Destiny to take on vacation in 2 weeks. I know there's nothing that can be done but I hate when they update the covers with "Now on netflix!" and such. I suppose I need to just get a kindle, but then choice fatigue killed that path real quick haha.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    One of the mods made everything for purchase at traders free. This is not supposed to happen but I'll just roll with it. It will be a hardship I know. Combined with the weight limit increase I'm just buying out every trader I find.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Alright, got this thread bookmarked for after I watch the last episode. As a big fan of the video games I have been loving this series so much but have had to explain a good deal to my parents.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular

I've actually always headcanon'd it that in games like Skyrim and Fallout, that I do actually have a whole adventuring party following me at all times with a couple of carts, and they're always just out of frame. Especially when you consider stuff like carrying around 100k coins with you, which on its own would require an entire armored carriage and guards. I'd hate a game that made me leave cool stuff behind all the time because of weight, but I think I'd like one that actually showed all those guys you employ just to carry your shit.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    It would make you play a different way I think. As opposed to just going into any cave or fort you find, looting it, and carrying on with your day you'd need to make a note of it on your map or whatever then you'd want to prepare for exploring that particular place.

So like, get your cart or horses with your supplies, travel back to the area, explore it and then load up your loot and take it back to your base or home or whatever. Or you could clear it out, assess what's good and what's junk, and then come back later and take what you want. I think it could make exploration more meaningful when each cave system needs to be treated as a somewhat special encounter to be planned out and prepared for.

But I could also see myself getting bored with this hypothetical game's mechanics and modding in infinite weight or something later on. Maybe it could be a simple on or off selection for people more into immersion.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    man I really dislike the trend in this kind of TV adaptation where most of the first season is given over to character development, then there's a couple episodes of fast rising action before a conclusion that feels like it's practically the beginning of the story

I mean I understand the need to tease the next season in some way but jeez that was unsatisfying

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Jaskier is easily the best part of the show hands down

The show leaves out all of the especially funny parts of the books!!

Episode 5 impressions, The Last Wish story spoilers
    For example, the "go fuck yourself" incantation with the djinn just became... wanting some peace? (Eh, this change I do like, as it means he inadvertently hurt Jaskier)
    But then why not do a better translation of "I wish you'd burst" and have the second wish be "go fuck yourself" or "eat shit and die" or something some English speaker would be more likely to say??? (I've thought on how to fix that weird phrase for a while)

Also, not sure how I feel about Yen wanting to be a vessel and the imagery of the amphora/uterus and going over the hysterectomy again. I guess the dead baby plot in the previous episode was to... kinda bring Yen's baby theming together?

Also... why this orgy and Yen sitting there all masquerady, other than to look nice. And was Beau...ensorcelled? I guess? He wasn't just drunk, though they kept the part where he fell asleep?

Also also they removed Geralt and Yen just getting into a clobberfest through portals with oysters flying everywhere. That was my favourite part, the sheer pettiness of it. But at least the two seem like they have a bunch of chemistry together...

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    The tavern bit at the start of episode 4 was great.
    Jaskier was completely sure Geralt was fine and when he shows up he just leads the whole crowd into a Toss a Coin to Your Witcher sing along.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    My multi-year long replay of The Witcher 3 has resumed after watching this. I finally made it to the solstice! Maybe by 2025 I'll have everything finished

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    My multi-year long replay of The Witcher 3 has resumed after watching this. I finally made it to the solstice! Maybe by 2025 I'll have everything finished
    Woah now, let's not get crazy.

sig.gif
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    The secret to finishing witcher 3 is to completely ignore the side quest.

I'm not joking, do it

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    It would make you play a different way I think. As opposed to just going into any cave or fort you find, looting it, and carrying on with your day you'd need to make a note of it on your map or whatever then you'd want to prepare for exploring that particular place.

So like, get your cart or horses with your supplies, travel back to the area, explore it and then load up your loot and take it back to your base or home or whatever. Or you could clear it out, assess what's good and what's junk, and then come back later and take what you want. I think it could make exploration more meaningful when each cave system needs to be treated as a somewhat special encounter to be planned out and prepared for.

Huh! Never heard anybody share my thoughts on this.

• Options
    But the side quests are really fun

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    But the side quests are really fun

They're awesome, and they don't disappear. You can do them whenever! Just don't let them bog you down

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Once I finish the Main Quest of a game though, I don’t play it anymore. It feels wrong to see the credits then dive back into it, which is why I’ve never finished:
    Witcher 3
    Fallout 4
    Breath of the Wild
    Skyrim
    Horizon: Zero Dawn

All games I loved playing and I didn’t want to stop, so I just...put them down

• Options
    I can see the allure of gwent, but the long animation times make actually getting through a game so fucking tedious I've completely written off everything to do with that part of the game.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    man I really dislike the trend in this kind of TV adaptation where most of the first season is given over to character development, then there's a couple episodes of fast rising action before a conclusion that feels like it's practically the beginning of the story

I mean I understand the need to tease the next season in some way but jeez that was unsatisfying

Yeah I would have preferred this to have slower development and more of a monster of the week thing but I can see why they'd want to shoot for being able to end it after 3-4 seasons, as it seems to be the normal series length on streaming services.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

But I could also see myself getting bored with this hypothetical game's mechanics and modding in infinite weight or something later on. Maybe it could be a simple on or off selection for people more into immersion.

There's a modpack for minecraft that ends up with something like this. In earlier parts of the pack you need to venture quite far from home to locate certain rare resources. You need to bring back quite a bit (ideally) so the mudpack includes a cart you can hitch horses to and load down with loot/gear.

I ended up building bridges and clearing out cart-safe paths to points of interest and carting up and down my roads. I was pretty impressed with myself and the modpack once I realized what it had coerced me into doing without me realizing it.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I finally finished watching the show

I kinda wanna try to read the books now

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The secret to finishing witcher 3 is to completely ignore the side quest.

I'm not joking, do it

I beat the game and DLCs when they came out

The Witcher is just the game I go back to once in a while to kill some monsters

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Speaking of DLC:

is it something I should wait to do until finishing the main quest?