Options

[The Witcher] Watching Season 2 is Your Destiny, Probably

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Finished the series last night. Really enjoyed it! It took me an episode to warm up to Cavill but once I did, he was great. Most of the actors did a great job. Subtitles was a requirement for me; so many times even late into the series you'd have folks talking at normal volume and then someone would say something at almost a whisper. Once I turned them on, I didn't have to rewind anymore haha. I know it was expensive but costumes and effects were really pretty good.

Some minor things that I wasn't a fan of:

1) The timeline stuff was tough. Even later into the series I was trying to figure out which of the 3 or so timelines we had going was where we were. I can see why folks with no ties to the series were confused and may give up early.

2) Along with that, the series felt rushed? Maybe it's Game of Thrones influencing, but a couple more episodes might have helped. Leading up to episode 8 felt pretty rushed and the ending felt really rushed.

3) Not sure how I feel about Triss. The actress did a great job but she didn't have enough screen time to completely win me over. Of course they can always re-cast and come up with some magic reason for her now having red hair or something.

4) Folks have already mentioned but the religious thing with Nilfgard seemed weird. Having only played the game, they didn't at all come off that way. But it looks like a TV thing.

5) The dragon CGI was a bit off lol. Again maybe comparing to GoT but it looks like CGI from 10+ years ago.

Also I wasn't impressed with episode 8:
    It fell into sort of lazy fantasy/sci-fi stuff that gets used more than it should in TV/Film.

1) Magic can do anything and we don't have any rules around it. Star Wars is a good example of this with the Force. The force is basically whatever the content creator needs it to be. I prefer a slower more thought out "magic" that has limitations and rules. We get that folks have different "power levels" as it were and using chaos drains them. I just wish they had a bit more setup before 'magic overload' episode. Perhaps some more training scene's as post initiation with the girls, idk. Also the Khan thing was dumb and I didn't like it in Khan, let alone the cheap knock off here. It leads to my other annoyance.

2) The other thing that annoys me is not respecting your own world. There are a couple examples, like when Fringella mentions the Skellige fleet got lost in fog and shipwrecked. Logically you'd never do any sort of massive military movement without mages; or have some counter to "chaos". The Cintra hates mages thing is fine if they have a crap ton of dimeritium or something, otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense to go into a fight against people who can control weather, shoot fire, or whatever else and not have the same or protection. Also the Nilfgard mages that sacrifice themselves to be ammo? Normal human behavior would tell us they'd get the F out of there after seeing mage #1 die (or even before the battle if they knew). Maybe that's why they went with the religious angle, though those mages didn't look very committed and Istredd seemed to make it sound like mages found Nilfgard convenient. As mentioned in 1, the Khan worm thing was really dumb. If you have that item, you could use it to either A) control the kingdoms of the north and have them join Nilfgard or B) if it's temporary, at least have people in the position of power kill themselves or whatever to destabilize before attacking.

I'm going to order the Last Wish and Sword of Destiny to start with. Having only played Witcher 3 and now watching this show, there are a lot of gaps or things that don't make sense haha.

For example:
    In the game it was the Lodge of Sorceresses but here it's the brotherhood. So I'm guessing at some point men and women split?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    As someone whose only Witcher experience is the TV show, the impression I got from Nilfgaard was
    that they had some sort of prophecy that foretold Ciri (or someone like her) as Bad News. I was kind of thinking that the whole White Flame thing was built around that prophecy specifically, as in like, it's a more fringe sect of their religion, and it is only coming up as a big thing because the current emperor buys into it. I don't have a whole lot of actual basis for that though, that's more just an overall impression (probably colored by my own love of Roman mystery cults).

Seems like a natural way to interpret the show

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    As someone whose only Witcher experience is the TV show, the impression I got from Nilfgaard was
    that they had some sort of prophecy that foretold Ciri (or someone like her) as Bad News. I was kind of thinking that the whole White Flame thing was built around that prophecy specifically, as in like, it's a more fringe sect of their religion, and it is only coming up as a big thing because the current emperor buys into it. I don't have a whole lot of actual basis for that though, that's more just an overall impression (probably colored by my own love of Roman mystery cults).

I disagree.
    If she's bad news then people would have been able to kill her.
    But Nilfgaard seems to be going out of its way to take her alive.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Re: The White Flame. Spoilers just incase but I'm not really sure its necessary.
    Emhyr var Emreis is referred to As The White Flame Dancing on the Barrows of His Enemies so the White Flame is basically a short way to refer to The Emporer of Nilfgaard without having to say all that dumb stuff

Ah oh my god I can't spoiler sorry sorry

Juggernut on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Re: The White Flame. Spoilers just incase but I'm not really sure its necessary.
    Emhyr var Emreis is referred to As The White Flame Dancing on the Barrows of His Enemies so the White Flame is basically a short way to refer to The Emporer of Nilfgaard without having to say all that dumb stuff

Ah oh my god I can't spoiler sorry sorry

This is true, but the framing in the show has a particularly religious bent to it.

It's not super in your face, but that's how I'm reading it at this point

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I didn't peg it as a religion just like I don't peg PRK as a religion.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I declared the Law of Surprise on my dad this morning because I grabbed him to keep his clumsy ass from falling down the stairs carrying a plate of cracker snacks (he's fallen down those stairs four times. He's broken both legs falling down those stairs).

But my mom came back and had, on a whim, picked him up a sweet sweet Cherry Coke and I was like LAW OF SURPRISE YEEHAW and took it from him.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The most fated cherry coke

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Guy at work today who I've never spoken to started singing Toss a Coin and I wanted to punch him in the face because it was then stuck in my head for the rest of my shift

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I declared the Law of Surprise on my dad this morning because I grabbed him to keep his clumsy ass from falling down the stairs carrying a plate of cracker snacks (he's fallen down those stairs four times. He's broken both legs falling down those stairs).

But my mom came back and had, on a whim, picked him up a sweet sweet Cherry Coke and I was like LAW OF SURPRISE YEEHAW and took it from him.

I hope at some point today your dad grabs something from you and says "Fuck destiny" and then immediately stubs his toe or something.

• Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Guy at work today who I've never spoken to started singing Toss a Coin and I wanted to punch him in the face because it was then stuck in my head for the rest of my shift

O’ Valley of Plenty

O’ Valley of Plenty

• Options
    The OST was amazing, they did a great job. Is it available to stream? I didn't see it on Tidal.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    The OST was amazing, they did a great job. Is it available to stream? I didn't see it on Tidal.

Not yet, and that's definitely one thing that Netflix dropped the ball on, especially considering the show's popularity. Doubly perplexing since one of the composers has confirmed that the tracks are ready go, but Netflix has yet to green light things.

Hey guys! Super Merry Christmas!!! I hope you’re all enjoying a fantastic holiday season!!! I wanted to address all your questions regarding when the official soundtrack for The Witcher is going to be released. We have the soundtrack ready to go and can’t wait to get it out, however there’s no ETA at the moment since it is up to Netflix whether or not to make it happen. We also wanted to let you know that the only 4 tracks released so far (Geralt of Rivia, Toss A Coin To Your Witcher, The Song of The White Wolf, The Last Rose of Cintra) have been released via our official SoundCloud. Anything you hear so far on YouTube and anything that claims to be “official” is, in fact, low quality leaks and, in some cases, music that has nothing to do with us or the show. With that being said, be sure to let Netflix know on their social media channels how much you’re looking forward to The Witcher soundtrack! We all hope we can make this happen as soon as possible because, trust me, we can’t wait to get the soundtrack out to you guys!!! P.S. Here’s a sneak peek of the soundtrack tracklist that includes CD1 original score, and CD2 songs, dances and tavern folk tunes

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm still trudging along in this and episode 3 is a very good showcase for how much Henry Cavill has nailed Geralt's trademark sass

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Not yet, and that's definitely one thing that Netflix dropped the ball on, especially considering the show's popularity. Doubly perplexing since one of the composers has confirmed that the tracks are ready go, but Netflix has yet to green light things.

Hey guys! Super Merry Christmas!!! I hope you’re all enjoying a fantastic holiday season!!! I wanted to address all your questions regarding when the official soundtrack for The Witcher is going to be released. We have the soundtrack ready to go and can’t wait to get it out, however there’s no ETA at the moment since it is up to Netflix whether or not to make it happen. We also wanted to let you know that the only 4 tracks released so far (Geralt of Rivia, Toss A Coin To Your Witcher, The Song of The White Wolf, The Last Rose of Cintra) have been released via our official SoundCloud. Anything you hear so far on YouTube and anything that claims to be “official” is, in fact, low quality leaks and, in some cases, music that has nothing to do with us or the show. With that being said, be sure to let Netflix know on their social media channels how much you’re looking forward to The Witcher soundtrack! We all hope we can make this happen as soon as possible because, trust me, we can’t wait to get the soundtrack out to you guys!!! P.S. Here’s a sneak peek of the soundtrack tracklist that includes CD1 original score, and CD2 songs, dances and tavern folk tunes

It's times like this that I wish I had more of a social media presence so I could help out and demand the OST lol.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    So how come TV Geralt doesn't have Game Geralt's gnarly scar? Did they add it for the games? Or does he get it at some point in the books, and if so, how?

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    It's something from the games If I remember. It's a minor detail thrown in where he gets it on some random contract.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    also if you're gonna do the scar you have to do the tattoo.
    you know which one i mean!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    My girlfriend and I are watching this, I think we watched the third episode last night. We're both enjoying it

I'm tempted to get the games, but I don't have much time to play the ones I already own

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Visiting Dad, I tell him about The Witcher

Dad: oh that doesn’t seem like something I’d want to watch
    Also Dad: well, maybe I’ll check it out -watches the first 3 episodes in an afternoon-

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The Nilfgard armor is somehow weirder than you all described!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Picked up Witcher 3 back up over Christmas and now I'm nearing the end of the main quest

Pretty sure I'm heading for the "bad" romance option
    It seems I've previously declared my love for both Yennefer and Triss and it seems like I'm past the point of turning either of them down

At Kaer Morhen, there was a cutscene where Yennefer kissed Geralt in front of Triss

Then when we got back to Novigrad, Triss kissed Geralt at the start of the final preparation quest

Tried to chat with Triss and she talks both about how it's so nice that me and her are together and also about how sad she is that I'm with Yennefer now

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Finished the series and I liked it, but felt that Ciris part was uninteresting.
    Going from point A to point B to wait for terrible thing to happen to run to point C got old.

I think the timeline shit mostly paid off, but the clear pauses in dialogue for someone to drop a line about how old someone is or how long they've been somewhere was really noticeable. Worse was the lingering camera shots on various royalty as if to mug to the camera "Remember those adults from that earlier scene? Now they are children! Time is a flat disc!"

I would absolutely watch a Queen Calanthe spin off of how she brutally fortifies Cintra after her husband died and makes googly eyes at that guy from Skellige.

Other scene that seemed off to me vis a vi Law of Surprise.
    Okay, I get the idea of the Law of Surprise and I like it. But during the Feast of Cintra things seem to escalate...a little too quickly? Mousesack (Jason Mantzoukas where the hell were you in that casting room?) explains how it all works and the importance of tempting Fate and Destiny. But then Geralt and Skellige Guy starts killing Cintra soldiers over it! Didn't seem to be necessary.
    Also Skellige Guy immediately jumping into kill the guards of the Queen he clearly loves (and planned to marry) to defend the historical right of the law of surprise just seemed wild.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Some people hold fate / destiny in really high regard, particularly in the time period this is set in, so much so that it can override love.
    It seems royalty doesn't really care that much for common folks or soldiers anyways. So him killing some of her men to try and make her see his side of things, doesn't seem that off.

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Okay, I get the idea of the Law of Surprise and I like it. But during the Feast of Cintra things seem to escalate...a little too quickly? Mousesack (Jason Mantzoukas where the hell were you in that casting room?) explains how it all works and the importance of tempting Fate and Destiny. But then Geralt and Skellige Guy starts killing Cintra soldiers over it! Didn't seem to be necessary.
    Also Skellige Guy immediately jumping into kill the guards of the Queen he clearly loves (and planned to marry) to defend the historical right of the law of surprise just seemed wild.
    I honestly thought that the sudden escalation was planned on their part, as a means to murder some dudes they wanted out of the way?

doesn't really hold up given they seemed like regular soldiers, idk

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    The thematic importance of both destiny and choice felt kind of weird to me.

"Things are going to happen as foretold! Once you make your choice...which is foretold!"

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    astrobstrd wrote: »

"Things are going to happen as foretold! Once you make your choice...which is foretold!"
    Ciri's entire thing is that she's the setting's Messiah/Antichrist. Everything about her is wrapped in prophecy and portent.

• Options
    astrobstrd wrote: »

Ciri's entire thing is that she's the setting's Messiah/Antichrist. Everything about her is wrapped in prophecy and portent.

I get that. And this isn't the only fantasy series to play with these themes and concepts (Star Wars trades in "destiny" and "choice" stuff as well), but this series seems to lampshade both in a way that is more jarring to me than normal.

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    While we were watching, my sister and I both thought Mousesack was called Balsack. Hard to take him serious when you think that's his name.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    9eylu87ajq5b.jpg
    sl1js2t49cbq.png

What's wrong with Ballsack/Balzac/Balsac?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    it's true, Ballsack does lack the ferocity and gravitas of Mousesack

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Sorceresses complain they have it tough but they're not out there having to collect mouse testicles

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    It's only just occurred to me that Queen Calanthe wears appropriate armour.

No boob armour or mail bikinis in sight!

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Sorceresses complain they have it tough but they're not out there having to collect mouse testicles

It's true. Mouse balls have been really hard to come by. It's all damn lasers these days.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    While we were watching, my sister and I both thought Mousesack was called Balsack. Hard to take him serious when you think that's his name.

I mentally changed his name to Ratballs and it makes everything better

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It probably means something very regal and profound in the original Polish

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

Yeah like Ratbag

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Finished the series and I liked it, but felt that Ciris part was uninteresting.
    Going from point A to point B to wait for terrible thing to happen to run to point C got old.

I think the timeline shit mostly paid off, but the clear pauses in dialogue for someone to drop a line about how old someone is or how long they've been somewhere was really noticeable. Worse was the lingering camera shots on various royalty as if to mug to the camera "Remember those adults from that earlier scene? Now they are children! Time is a flat disc!"

I would absolutely watch a Queen Calanthe spin off of how she brutally fortifies Cintra after her husband died and makes googly eyes at that guy from Skellige.

knitdan wrote: »

Nope, his name is literally Mousesack. It's just the word 'sack' is used in a kind of... opposite of diminutive form, which doesn't remind one of testicles.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular