As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Witcher] Watching Season 2 is Your Destiny, Probably

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    how's your lute-playing

If it's bad just get a broken lute and blame it on the elves.

Overlaying the lute sounds on Geralt and Jaskier getting hit was one of my favourite bits from the series

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Jaskier is great. Can we get a mini series of him going around to towns to sing about Geralt, getting caught up in trouble, and sleeping with some noble man's wife?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    It's kind of weird how Jaskier is apparently such a ladies man but every interaction we see between him and other people in the show they are mocking him, telling him to shut up, or exasperated with him. There is literally no instance of anyone being charmed by him. Kind of suggests all these women he woos off screen are idiots.

• Options
    A Towerfull of Mice quest is still one of my favorite side quests of just about any game ever I think?

It is extremely well written and the good resolution is super sad.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That tower was so spooky

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    That quest is excellent, so is that one with the disappeared wife/sister in Velen.

This game probably has some of my favorite questlines of any RPG thus far. So varied! So many twists! And some of them are hilarious!

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    *Sigh* Yes, I'll find your goat.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    What am I gonna do, abandon a goat named Princess who likes to hear bells ringing? WOULD I BE ANY DIFFERENT THAN THE MONSTERS I SLAY!?

Edit: also when you slaughter a whole bunch of low level enemies like crappy bandits or neckers or whatever it's super satisfying to just one-shot whole swaths of em.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Read the first story in Sword of Destiny. So far Yennefer has been thoroughly unlikable, curious to see if she gets better. Though I did enjoy
    her turning people into pigs with her foot

Book Dandelion is good though. Less annoying than the other versions.

• Options
    That tower was so spooky

I just found out, on my third playthrough, that if you carry the lamp instead of taking it out only when you see the green spoopy spots you can see Annabelle running away from you up the tower and knocking things over.

• Options
    I noticed that because some pots on the floor were going crazy close to one of the wall sconces. Three or four of them bundled together jittering up and down and making a racket. I shone the lamp there and saw her briefly before she disappeared. Mad spooks.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Read the first story in Sword of Destiny. So far Yennefer has been thoroughly unlikable, curious to see if she gets better. Though I did enjoy

Her reason for being upset with Geralt is a bit different than in the show
    In that he ghosts her, not after their first time, but from living together at her home for six months

I'm curious to hear what you think after A Shard of Ice. It's probably the strangest short story and really shows how... difficult? Yen is. But also, Sapkowski treats her as an actual person with agency too so it's one of the stories I like the most

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    SilverWind wrote: »

Her reason for being upset with Geralt is a bit different than in the show
    In that he ghosts her, not after their first time, but from living together at her home for six months

This really didn't come across in that story, though I got the jist of it in Shard of Ice.

She just comes across as very self important and demanding. Which yes, she's a realistic character with her own wants, but when I'm viewing things from the perspective of Geralt as the protagonist I'm not really being given a good reason as to why he's so into her.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    She's the only person on the continent who smells nice

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
  • Options
    I dunno what a gooseberry smells like but I guess its nice.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The terrible truth is that a gooseberry is like a horse apple.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Love me a lady what smells like a good horse apple I tell you what

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Jedoc wrote: »
    What? How? We make jam out of it, what's so terrible about it?
    Wait, is this a joke? Sorry, this is the first time I've heard of horse apples...

Mayday on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    What? How? We make jam out of it, what's so terrible about it?
    Wait, is this a joke? Sorry, this is the first time I've heard of horse apples...

A bad one, yes. I appear to have misremembered a slang term for horse crap. "Road apples" is certainly more evocative than "horse apples," but it ruins the throughline of the joke.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I think I'm just kinda bad at videogames in general, but man the Witcher is tough. I feel like I'm finally over a bit of the difficulty hump though. I'm not dying nearly as often, and I've got good gear and superior oils and potions and rad mutton chops and flowy loose hair and WAY too much food.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I bought the Witcher 3 on PS4 but the controls are so alien compared to the Dark Souls games that I typically play I haven’t gotten anywhere in it yet. I’ve heard I can just skip the first two games but is there a good recap or Let’s Play I could watch?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Looks like the soundtrack is finally going to be released soon.

Listing on Amazon outs it at $10 and expected in a few days.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2020
    Got a random Spotify recommendation from a Belarusan artist. This track is appropriately named Wild Hunt. Haven't played any Witcher games but I've heard some of the soundtrack, this feels like more of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbP0wsey89E

Echo on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Vol. 1 of the soundtrack is now streaming and I assume purchasable on the usual platforms

Looks like it includes all the score but not the folk songs and in-universe music the composers mentioned on social media, so I assume that will be a second volume

• Options
    Finished reading Sword of Destiny. It was good, I liked it better than The Last Wish. Mainly because the stories were longer so I just got more out of them. Favourite was probably A Little Sacrifice, because it was a fun Dandelion and Geralt story, and I am really enjoying Dandelion so much more in book form. Both the stories featuring Ciri were really good too.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Finished reading Sword of Destiny. It was good, I liked it better than The Last Wish. Mainly because the stories were longer so I just got more out of them. Favourite was probably A Little Sacrifice, because it was a fun Dandelion and Geralt story, and I am really enjoying Dandelion so much more in book form. Both the stories featuring Ciri were really good too.

Brokilon forest is terrifying, just, on an existential level

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
  • Options
    The moment you realize what's going to happen in Something More is just so intensely beautiful

Witcher 3 captures the feeling very well in its little flashback

signature.png
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

Roach has that quality that all good executive producers have: he doesn't talk much.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah book dandelion is a very good best friend. The games do credit to most of the supporting cast, but you never quite see why geralt's so loyal to this horny bard guy.

The other character who is OK in the games but amazing in the books is
    Shani. Her scenes as a battlefield medic are rough, and yet she keeps volunteering for another round because someone had to do it. And then when the battles are over it's time to treat plague victims.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    The moment you realize what's going to happen in Something More is just so intensely beautiful

Which bit do you mean? That story has a lot going on.

I also found it a bit confusing at first because I think the formatting on my version is wrong, so one of the flashbacks reads as though it's happening in the present, and I spent a while wondering why Dandelion had suddenly shown up and then disappeared again before I realised that bit was a memory

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options

Which bit do you mean? That story has a lot going on.

I also found it a bit confusing at first because I think the formatting on my version is wrong, so one of the flashbacks reads as though it's happening in the present, and I spent a while wondering why Dandelion had suddenly shown up and then disappeared again before I realised that bit was a memory
    Just the slow setup with Geralt claiming the law of surprise at the start, then the repeated theme that destiny isn't enough, followed by the reveal that Cintra is destroyed and Ciri is dead

And the gradual buildup of good feeling at the same time, as the merchant takes care of Geralt, pledges one of his sons since his wife can't have kids anymore, then the reunion with his family and

PLOT TWIST CIRI IS THERE AND SHE'S DOUBLE CHILD SURPRISE <3

The moment is flashbacked to in W3 when you find Ciri in the game, and the feeling of that moment of surprise reunion is captured really well

https://youtu.be/zjZlQpbT58I

It really feels different than the show because you follow Ciri's perspective and know she's alive (and know she's with a good family though not necessarily the merchant's)

signature.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Oh right. Yeah I think that effect was lost on me because having seen the show I knew what was going to happen. Haven't played that part of the game yet.

Started Blood of Elves now. Not far in yet but so far I am liking Yennefer a lot more than before.

It's interesting to see how many moments and bits of dialogue in the game are lifted basically complete from the book. Like Ciri with the pendulum from the prologue of the game, which is exactly in the book except with Lambert instead of Geralt.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I'm guessing Netflix is not going to put him on a press junket for S2...

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

I continue to enjoy Sapkowski’s honesty and sense of humor

This is one of his less confrontational interviews, too. Surprising, considering some of these questions are kind of weird (“what do you think the differences are between television and video games, published author who hasn’t done either?”)

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

Ha, he is aggressively uninformative.

"My name is in the credits. It would not be decent of me to speak." :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2