As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Witcher] Watching Season 2 is Your Destiny, Probably

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    "No duh I hate doing work but I like gettin' paid 8-) later losers"

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    "No duh I hate doing work but I like gettin' paid 8-) later losers"

"How do you feel about the success of the game and especially the TV series leading to a 500,000 reprint of the book?"

"That is a dumb question. I will sarcastically mock you now."

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Iolo wrote: »

Ha, he is aggressively uninformative.

"My name is in the credits. It would not be decent of me to speak." :)

"I would have to be an idiot to say. My name appears in the credits."

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Ha, he is aggressively uninformative.

"My name is in the credits. It would not be decent of me to speak." :)

I think this is him having a lot of integrity. He won't say anything positive or negative about it because he benefits from it financially.

• Options
    I get that it seems to be coming from some sort of code. It's weird to me, though, since I don't think it's automatically a moral failing to talk about something you've helped create. I was watching a panel with Edgar Wright and the cast of Spaced, for example, and they were very frank about where they thought they had missed the mark and where they felt like they had succeeded. And it was, you know, entertaining and informative.

If you have a moral position against speaking about something you've created, maybe decline the interview?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    I think you guys are missing the point. He doesn't think of the TV series as something he's created. He got paid for allowing Netflix to do it and he didn't have to work much on it.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    It’s a much better impression than I got of him before, when he tried to sue CDPR for a larger cut of profits because he sold the rights for the Witcher games on the cheap thinking they wouldn’t be profitable.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I get that it seems to be coming from some sort of code. It's weird to me, though, since I don't think it's automatically a moral failing to talk about something you've helped create. I was watching a panel with Edgar Wright and the cast of Spaced, for example, and they were very frank about where they thought they had missed the mark and where they felt like they had succeeded. And it was, you know, entertaining and informative.

If you have a moral position against speaking about something you've created, maybe decline the interview?

Well it’s a question about the show, which he did not create, but benefits from and has his name attached to, so I think it‘s a perfectly acceptable answer

Also the way it’s phrased differently for each answer makes me think it’s a joke. “What do you like best?” My name in the credits. “What do you like the least?” I couldn’t say, my name’s in the credits

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    godmode wrote: »
    It’s a much better impression than I got of him before, when he tried to sue CDPR for a larger cut of profits because he sold the rights for the Witcher games on the cheap thinking they wouldn’t be profitable.

Wasn't he absolutely in the legal right to do this?

Also, I know I've said this before, but I'm always going to root for creators over billion-dollar corporations, even (especially) when those corporations were built on the cache of a creator's name and work

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    You couldn't even get the books in English before the games, and the games are as much fanfiction as adaptation. I don't care about cdpr losing some money when they settled, but I still think it was a dick move.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Coinage wrote: »
    You couldn't even get the books in English before the games, and the games are as much fanfiction as adaptation. I don't care about cdpr losing some money when they settled, but I still think it was a dick move.

I mean, the games only got localized into English because Sapkwoski is the Polish equivalent of Tolkien and the first game made a lot of money in its original language based on the cultural cache of his stories

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Sapkowski's got a very particular type of acerbic humour--I think most people bounce off of his interviews because it's not immediately clear he's not taking himself seriously and doesn't expect you to either. And his responses are usually for the express purpose of getting a laugh out of the listener/reader -- he talks just like he writes in the books, funnily enough. :P

Anyway, Polish law specifically has a provision for creators and disproportionate royalty agreements; he was likely in the legal right and may very well have won if they hadn't settled. Further, he acknowledges it was his poor choices that caused the situation. To rephrase a quote that he used in the interview, let the person who wouldn't take the cash entitlement the law affords them cast the first stone

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    The first and only rule when you're an author who's dealing with a big corporation is to get paid

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

Yeah I'm no contract lawyer. BUT...

It definitely sounded like some sour grapes on his end. To his credit from what I read he never claimed they screwed him over, just that he had no faith in them/games so took a payout rather than a percentage. He then used a legal process to get more.

The timing was the only thing that was little curious, since Witcher 3 has been out a long time - seems planned around the show.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Statements from both sides at the time of the dispute indicated both parties had attempted a prolonged negotiation behind the scenes before it went public

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    So after finishing the tv series I find myself jonesing for more Witcher content but I'm very hesitant to revisit Witcher 3. I don't think the wife would appreciate me disappearing for that long and I'm not sure I'd enjoy reliving most of it.

But I never did play the previous titles. Do you guys think it would be worth going back to Witcher 1 and 2 having never played them? Did they age well? All I remember about them was people finding them very difficult.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Sapowski would have been within his ethical rights if he burgled his way into CDPR headquarters and took away the money in the form of furniture and equipment

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    So after finishing the tv series I find myself jonesing for more Witcher content but I'm very hesitant to revisit Witcher 3. I don't think the wife would appreciate me disappearing for that long and I'm not sure I'd enjoy reliving most of it.

But I never did play the previous titles. Do you guys think it would be worth going back to Witcher 1 and 2 having never played them? Did they age well? All I remember about them was people finding them very difficult.

They certainly have their jank but they have some great story telling to them.

Also mods, mods for days.

If you're looking for something different and you enjoyed Gwent I really suggest playing Thronebreaker.

Sure it has a distinct lack of Witchering itself, but Witcher content in spades.

• Options
    Karoz wrote: »

If you're looking for something different and you enjoyed Gwent I really suggest playing Thronebreaker.

Sure it has a distinct lack of Witchering itself, but Witcher content in spades.

I did not know this was a thing! I will definitely check it out.

Also the mods you speak of, are there any particular ones you recommend for either 1 or 2?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

I did not know this was a thing! I will definitely check it out.

Also the mods you speak of, are there any particular ones you recommend for either 1 or 2?

I haven't tried it myself, I really should for a playthrough of the two.

PC gamer has some lists of them but perhaps others have some preferences not covered.

Witcher 1 Mod List

Witcher 2 Mod List

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular

1 wasn't that hard, especially once you realize Igni is utterly busted and max it out. If you can get past the jankiness of the gameplay, it has an ok story. Some of the areas aren't the best though which, unfortunately, contains the Outskirts initial area. Once you get into Vizima, it markedly improves.

2 is fucking hard gameplay. You might even find yourself struggling in the "tutorial" area as basic concepts are not properly explained to you. But, just turn down the difficulty settings when you're getting hammered (the difference between "normal" and "easy" is night and day) and you'll be fine. 2 has a much stronger story that is more directly connected with the lore of the world too.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I am one of those who is still eating crow for thinking Henry Cavil = only grim Superman.

He turned out so good as Geralt.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    I really do love his Geralt.

Never before would I ever say someone has the perfect delivery of "fuck."

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    darunia106 wrote: »
    I really do love his Geralt.

Never before would I ever say someone has the perfect delivery of "fuck."

Aside from McNulty and Bunk in The Wire of course. :)

Cavill has totally turned me around on him. I was not a fan of his previously, and actually had no plans to watch the Netflix series. I had a credible friend rave about it, though, and gave it a shot. Cavill won me over completely.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Jesus H Christ Cavill is fucking yolked

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The mild annoyance that one guy shows at being stabbed through the chest always tickles something in my brain

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Finished The Last Wish. Think my favourite story was The Edge of the World. Overall was surprised how talkative and friendly Geralt seemed. It's kind of weird actually that the games and show have him being such a stoic grump, because he's really not like that in the book.

I finished The Last Wish over vacation last week and I loved it! I too liked The Edge of the World the most, but all of the stories were awesome. I just finished the first one in the 2nd book and hopefully can get some more reading done this weekend.

I still like the show, but man, did they not have any faith in it? It really feels like they felt they needed to shove the Ciri stuff in to force tension or some level of serialization on the viewer. Many episodes bordered right on the edge of understanding what was going on and that extra 15 minutes of Ciri content would have gone a looooong way towards fleshing stuff out. Say nothing of the disjointed timeline stuff.

Edge of the World is a good example:
    Torque was barely in the episode!

There were plenty of decisions while reading that I immediately understood they couldn't put in the show for lots of reasons, but looking back on it, feels like some of the episodes sort of missed the point of the stories they were following. I'm am however sort of ok with Geralt and Jaskier's relationship in the show. I think if they started out as good friends, it might be a bit off for the viewer. A bit of a rocky beginning as long as the relationship gets closer to that of the books in season 2 is fine by me.

Question about the Last Wish story:
    I'm still not 100% on the wish. The priest mentions "tying destiny's together" is the only way to save her. And it seems that's what Geralt wished for, but I don't really understand what that means. Why did that save Yen from the Djinn? She seemed to know what he wished and was thankful for it. In the Witcher 3 there's the side quest to remove the wish, so they seem to think that having destiny tie them together is where their love comes from?

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I am one of those who is still eating crow for thinking Henry Cavil = only grim Superman.

He was really good in the last Mission Impossible too

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    He's also really good in The Man From UNCLE! turns out he's just a good actor, and like most actors he appears bad when directed by Zack Snyder

• Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Finished The Last Wish. Think my favourite story was The Edge of the World. Overall was surprised how talkative and friendly Geralt seemed. It's kind of weird actually that the games and show have him being such a stoic grump, because he's really not like that in the book.

I finished The Last Wish over vacation last week and I loved it! I too liked The Edge of the World the most, but all of the stories were awesome. I just finished the first one in the 2nd book and hopefully can get some more reading done this weekend.

I still like the show, but man, did they not have any faith in it? It really feels like they felt they needed to shove the Ciri stuff in to force tension or some level of serialization on the viewer. Many episodes bordered right on the edge of understanding what was going on and that extra 15 minutes of Ciri content would have gone a looooong way towards fleshing stuff out. Say nothing of the disjointed timeline stuff.

There were plenty of decisions while reading that I immediately understood they couldn't put in the show for lots of reasons, but looking back on it, feels like some of the episodes sort of missed the point of the stories they were following. I'm am however sort of ok with Geralt and Jaskier's relationship in the show. I think if they started out as good friends, it might be a bit off for the viewer. A bit of a rocky beginning as long as the relationship gets closer to that of the books in season 2 is fine by me.

I'm still not 100% on the wish. The priest mentions "tying destiny's together" is the only way to save her. And it seems that's what Geralt wished for, but I don't really understand what that means. Why did that save Yen from the Djinn? She seemed to know what he wished and was thankful for it. In the Witcher 3 there's the side quest to remove the wish, so they seem to think that having destiny tie them together is where their love comes from?

It's left ambiguous in the books but I mentioned earlier

book spoilers, I'll further spoiler a game spoiler inside
    The wording of the wish is left vague in the book; Yen sums it up as "condemning yourself to me" and also remarks that she's not sure "whether such a wish can ever be fulfilled" -- judging by the latter line, and the necessity of the wish (to protect her from the Djinn), it's a long term effect. Given that the short stories in the book are all based on twists of fairy tales, the interpretation I like is that he wishes something to the effect of "and they lived happily ever after" (or whatever that may be in Polish :P )

Most of these interpretations wouldn't affect feelings, as far as I can tell, and the books never raise the possibility. Geralt by the time he makes the wish is already in love with Yennefer; Yennefer probably is won over by him through his stupid determination to protect her from the djinn as well. He's consistently absurdly in love with her to the point that it makes other people horrendously jealous/envious of their relationship, even as rocky as it occasionally is

But yeah, W3
    though it interprets the wish as Geralt wishing that they "were together always", certainly builds up Yen having a concern it is influencing their feelings. Which doesn't seem quite right by the books but leads to a very well written quest. (Even if it doesn't affect them, I do also think Yen is the type of person who would be concerned that that might be the case and might try to defy it)

signature.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The thing that's impressive about Cavill in The Witcher is that he's very committed to it and clearly put in a lot of work learning the source material and researching the character.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    That post can be either positive towards Cavill, or a massive slam. And I'm not sure which it is.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

Haven't watched a Mission Impossible since 1? 2?

Only data point on Cavill I have is as a grumpy grim Superman.

• Options

Watch Fallout, it's the best one.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Wait is this official?

It's such perfect 90s action TV show garbage I love it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Watch The Man from U.N.C.L.E., it's the best one.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Wait is this official?

It's such perfect 90s action TV show garbage I love it.

No, it's just a very strange and specific hack of Netflix's twitter account

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »

The wording of the wish is left vague in the book; Yen sums it up as "condemning yourself to me" and also remarks that she's not sure "whether such a wish can ever be fulfilled" -- judging by the latter line, and the necessity of the wish (to protect her from the Djinn), it's a long term effect. Given that the short stories in the book are all based on twists of fairy tales, the interpretation I like is that he wishes something to the effect of "and they lived happily ever after" (or whatever that may be in Polish :P )

Most of these interpretations wouldn't affect feelings, as far as I can tell, and the books never raise the possibility. Geralt by the time he makes the wish is already in love with Yennefer; Yennefer probably is won over by him through his stupid determination to protect her from the djinn as well. He's consistently absurdly in love with her to the point that it makes other people horrendously jealous/envious of their relationship, even as rocky as it occasionally is

But yeah, W3
    though it interprets the wish as Geralt wishing that they "were together always", certainly builds up Yen having a concern it is influencing their feelings. Which doesn't seem quite right by the books but leads to a very well written quest. (Even if it doesn't affect them, I do also think Yen is the type of person who would be concerned that that might be the case and might try to defy it)

Book Last Wish:
    Yen just had a pretty quick 180, she was pissed as hell with him screaming, fighting him. Then Geralt frees the djinn and she's instantly love-y dove-y and calm. Also still not really sure how having your destiny's intertwined would save her. The priest seems to indicate it's the only way, but seem like you could wish the djinn half a world away and it would also work just fine.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    SilverWind wrote: »

But yeah, W3

Book Last Wish:
    Yen just had a pretty quick 180, she was pissed as hell with him screaming, fighting him. Then Geralt frees the djinn and she's instantly love-y dove-y and calm. Also still not really sure how having your destiny's intertwined would save her. The priest seems to indicate it's the only way, but seem like you could wish the djinn half a world away and it would also work just fine.
    As Yen says (maliciously), Geralt could have used the wish for anything, including giving himself riches, power, immortality, or freeing himself from being a witcher. And Geralt uses it on her, of all things. Yen is very selfish in many respects but she has a strong sense of justice. And it makes sense she would be touched? She turns on a dime at several points in the stories (see the dragon one for instance)

And.. Not completely sure as to why wishing the djinn elsewhere wouldn't have worked (other than it being a lackluster end of the story) but at a guess Yen had provoked the djinn so badly it'd kill her before speeding off to accomplish the final wish

signature.png