As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Only $90 a pack*

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    yeah, to be clear, I don't think paper legacy is dead by any stretch of the imagination

but it is dying slowly, and there is absolutely nothing that will prevent that

dual lands(predominately) are a chokepoint to entry into the format and they are slowly being removed from the market either via loss/destruction of the card from various means or by parasitic speculators

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I don't know I feel like he is ignoring the impact that televised legacy tournaments have on the format. I've never considered working towards a vintage deck even in MTGO and I had a full elf deck at one point in legacy and I'd put that different to Legacy still getting airplay. This feels like a hit that will hurt legacy's viability in the greater world and not just the area SCG works in.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    It's a shame MTGA looked at paper draft and Eternal draft and decided to just be bad instead.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    wait, if the regular mystery boosters don't have the cute fun playtest cards then what the fuck is the point

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    wait, if the regular mystery boosters don't have the cute fun playtest cards then what the fuck is the point

it's a draft set

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    To be more specific, it's a chaos draft set going all the way back to Mirage (IIRC) and some of those old boosters are expensive.

There's also some chase cards in there (Mana Crypt is 200$!), but there's also literally 1,000-2,000 cards so don't count on it.

• Options
    Neveron wrote: »
    To be more specific, it's a chaos draft set going all the way back to Mirage (IIRC) and some of those old boosters are expensive.

There's also some chase cards in there (Mana Crypt is 200$!), but there's also literally 1,000-2,000 cards so don't count on it.

I saw a bunch of people saying "man what a bad deal with this much randomness the EV is garbage"

and I'm like y'all! It's a conspiracy set! Draft it and have fun!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    people who expect the EV on booster packs to be good are marks

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    people who expect the EV on booster packs to be good are marks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ5Btv9Obw0

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Im really glad i picked up some vraskas when they were like $3, because they spiked real hard.

The ban announcement cant really come soon enough after this joke of a tournament. I hope oko and krasis eat shit. Nissa is fine without either of them.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Oko's Madness is a goddamn terrible event

"win 5 very slow coin tosses"

The only reason I bothered at all is the Murderous Rider art for 5 wins is rad as fuck

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    turn 1 rolled Verdant Force, turn 2 Sephara

why would you not scoop, opponent

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I had a Turn 2 that was Agent of Treachery (steals their Turn 1 creature), turn 2 Yorvo (still gets 4 +1/+1 counters)

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

Apparently the WPN set has a foil sheet of cards that aren't in the "normal" set, with some "choice" reprints. List TBA closer to March.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The next potential Standard B&R update is next Monday, right?

For a moment I got excited that I might want to play Standard this week...

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    The 18th, yeah.

One more week of Oko. I'm glad I'm already qualified for the next Arena Qualifier as I have no desire to play arena right now.

• Options
    Veil of summer banned in pioneer.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Latest Pioneer B&R update just went up, Veil of Summer is now banned in Pioneer.

• Options
    that seems questionable

• Options
    like, veil of summer is pretty busted is legacy and vintage, and very very strong in modern

but man, that is a weird ban out of all the potential problems pioneer is/could face

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Seems like they think green's too strong but don't want to ban Nykthos or OUaT.

• Options
    veil isn't really enabling the whole large lad strategy though, which is why it seems weird

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I imagine they want the large lad strategy to exist, but be weaker than it is. They should prolly ban OUaT but it's in a current set so...

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I love the flavor of Eldraine, but lord, I have hated Magic since it released.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Their explanation was that Veil was stifling midrange/control strategies (due to so many green aggro or ramp decks in the format but hey).

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Banning veil is dumb

Blue decks get to turn off all opposing instant-speed interaction and give all their sorceries flash on T3, but green having a single conditional counter is the real problem

The decks in question could just... play around it, which is what every control player in the history of the world has snarked when someone who likes a different archetype sighs that playing against control is miserable

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    eh i think veil was a design mistake and I could easily see it banned in every format

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Veil always just seems like a green counterspell, which is bad design.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    There’s are pretty explicit reasons the DCI bans a card, and it being a mistake isn’t reason alone

• Options
    Veil always just seems like a green counterspell, which is bad design.

I can't put my finger on exactly why Veil bothers me, but this isn't it. Giving something hexproof at instant speed is a fine green trick, and rebuffing a counterspell is also fine since green has "fuck you blue" written into its DNA.

I think it does two things it shouldn't: 1) replaces itself (green isn't supposed to get card draw not tied to creatures), and 2) protects EVERYTHING for a single mana. If it was just a green variant on Gods Willing I don't think anyone would care.

• Options
    Harmonize *exists*

• Options
    edited November 2019
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Harmonize *exists*

Harmonize is from Planar Chaos and hasn't been reprinted in a Standard-legal set since*. You might as well say Mana Tithe or Temporal Extortion exists.

*EDIT: Thus making it not legal in Pioneer.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    My point is there is precedence for green draw. Don’t get me wrong, veil is a mistake, but I don’t think it’s bannable in pioneer

• Options
    My point is there is precedence for green draw. Don’t get me wrong, veil is a mistake, but I don’t think it’s bannable in pioneer

Maybe but harmonize ain’t it. Nothing in planar chaos is precedent for anything. WotC has been very explicate about that.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

Maybe but harmonize ain’t it. Nothing in planar chaos is precedent for anything. WotC has been very explicate about that.

Except maybe the few cases where the "alternate reality" cards were correcting past mistakes, like Prodigal Pyromancer.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    like, veil of summer is pretty busted is legacy and vintage, and very very strong in modern

but man, that is a weird ban out of all the potential problems pioneer is/could face

As much as anything, I think that Pioneer is probably intended to help vendors offload a bunch of cooling inventory. Look at how fast SCG hopped on board.
    Nissa, Voice of Zendikar is a great example. She just spent two years as binder fodder and then almost tripled in price last week.

From this perspective Veil makes sense as a ban because it has been in extreme high demand for some time and - if legal, will stay that way in other formats.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Has the commenting system on Gatherer been down for for over 5 years?! I just now realized can't make a new one...

I suppose they decided to scrap the feature?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Veil of Summer was a 1 mana Cryptic Command against Thoughtseize or black removal or blue tempo plays or countermagic. The card is very good. And when it doesn't counter something, it's still a 1 mana draw a card, which while never amazing, is certainly not unplayable.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    i don't know that i would have banned it but also the nature of a weekly ban list is that they're going to be on the experimental side, so it's no big deal. they can just undo it later if they determine it's wrong.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

As much as anything, I think that Pioneer is probably intended to help vendors offload a bunch of cooling inventory. Look at how fast SCG hopped on board.
    Nissa, Voice of Zendikar is a great example. She just spent two years as binder fodder and then almost tripled in price last week.

From this perspective Veil makes sense as a ban because it has been in extreme high demand for some time and - if legal, will stay that way in other formats.

Do you think given what we're currently going through in standard that Wizards is capable enough to understand how a much more complex format with four times the cards would shake out in order to help vendors?

It seems much more likely that the help to vendors is just that the sets are more recently printed and have a lower barrier to entry which will entice people to pay cash money for new decks.

This discussion has been closed.