As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Steam Holiday Sale on now!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I went back to trying to raise my sim family. One of my kids loses their fucking shit if they wear anything except a giant red bear costume.

So alarmingly true to real children, then.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    I tried out Disco Elysium because everyone is talking about how great it is, and clicking through dialogue options while inspecting a car caused my character to instantly die with no warning or ability to stop it. Unforgivable.

It's a shame because the rest of it was cool and I was enjoying the bits and pieces I was starting to see, but there are enough games to play that I'm not willing to give time to one that's going to just off me without warning because my stats weren't properly allocated in the builder screen or I tried to be thorough or whatever it was that did it.

Can't you just reload and try again?

I haven't played Disco Elysium yet but I mean, I'd kind of expect to have to do that a few times with an RPG.

It was the fact that it wasn't made extremely 100% ultra clear that immediately dying was a possibility that bugged me, rather than the fact that it happened.
    You can use heals while the bar is going down, allowing you to survive otherwise mortal wounds. This isn't mentioned except on the... f1 or tab tutorial pane?

See that right there would have been useful information to have the game explain to me upfront!

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    I went back to trying to raise my sim family. One of my kids loses their fucking shit if they wear anything except a giant red bear costume.

So alarmingly true to real children, then.

Me ages 9 to 16, except a black hoodie

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Fuck yes. The next chapter in the "To The Moon" Series by freebird Games. Imposter Factory. I found this series with "Finding Paradise", the middle chapter, then went back and played To The Moon. God they are great games.

https://youtu.be/bi0EN6pPYwE

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    cB557 wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »
    i picked up vanquish and it isn't great?

it's kinda neat to zoom about the place, and to roll and then go into slow motion, but I dunno, it feels weirdly paced and so far none of the environments or enemies are particularly interesting (some are kinda neat to look at, but there isn't really much interesting about interacting with them).

like, it's kinda funny that it's a bit over the top with the cutscenes and dialogue and whatnot, but even with trying to play it the intended way with barely ever getting in to cover, it just doesn't feel all that compelling
    I didn't finish it, so this isn't a fully informed opinion, but it definitely seemed to me that it was a lot of flash trying to cover up the fact that it's ultimately just a very mediocre cover shooter.

It's not super obvious but you aren't really supposed to play it like a cover shooter. Cover is more for recharging your go-juice, the rest of the time should be spent zipping around and going into slow-mo.

From what I remember going into aim-mode while doing different actions put you in slow-mo, the ones I recall being: vaulting over cover and during a dodge-roll. I also vaguely remember being able to do it while backflipping off an enemy. And during sliding maybe?

But yeah I can see people not having fun if you just play it like a cover shooter. I think that's even the reason Jim Sterling gave it a fairly low review score at the time.

edit: and this is the first youtube clip I found when searching for "vanquish expert"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bFT9QREtyU

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Vanquish is The Most Platinum Platinum Game

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    So...Warframe?

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    DeMoN wrote: »

it's kinda neat to zoom about the place, and to roll and then go into slow motion, but I dunno, it feels weirdly paced and so far none of the environments or enemies are particularly interesting (some are kinda neat to look at, but there isn't really much interesting about interacting with them).

like, it's kinda funny that it's a bit over the top with the cutscenes and dialogue and whatnot, but even with trying to play it the intended way with barely ever getting in to cover, it just doesn't feel all that compelling
    I didn't finish it, so this isn't a fully informed opinion, but it definitely seemed to me that it was a lot of flash trying to cover up the fact that it's ultimately just a very mediocre cover shooter.

It's not super obvious but you aren't really supposed to play it like a cover shooter. Cover is more for recharging your go-juice, the rest of the time should be spent zipping around and going into slow-mo.

From what I remember going into aim-mode while doing different actions put you in slow-mo, the ones I recall being: vaulting over cover and during a dodge-roll. I also vaguely remember being able to do it while backflipping off an enemy. And during sliding maybe?

But yeah I can see people not having fun if you just play it like a cover shooter. I think that's even the reason Jim Sterling gave it a fairly low review score at the time.

edit: and this is the first youtube clip I found when searching for "vanquish expert"
    That is how I tried to play it. You can make it work if you've got a hyper optimized route like that and kill everything the instant it spawns in, but if you're outside of cover like that and things aren't dead the instant they spawn, then you're taking damage.

cB557 on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i think my main problem is that the zooming and the rolling doesn't feel great

it's funny because i like the "dodge then slowdown" mechanic a whole lot in some other games, but i don't think it feels great here

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Also, the fight in that video is taking place in a fairly wide open arena, allowing him to move around more and flank and such, but most of that game is hallways and corridors and other such level design that doesn't give you much to do with your dash other than move up to the next piece of cover or just dash straight at the enemy and hope you can just shoot all of them to death before you run out of health, and it's just not a smart move.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »

That is how I tried to play it. You can make it work if you've got a hyper optimized route like that and kill everything the instant it spawns in, but if you're outside of cover like that and things aren't dead the instant they spawn, then you're taking damage.

I did a lot of, leave cover, vault enemy, shoot enemies in slow mo, SPRING LIKE HELL TO COVER.

Repeat.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    If I felt like playing a Sims game should I just get 4 or does 3 hold up?

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I’ve been mostly playing console games for the past ~six years, but should be finishing a pc build tomorrow. I’ve grabbed Total War: Warhammer 2 and Battletech off the steam sale, what other recent-ish titles should I be looking at?

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Adam Saltsman's breathless retrospective of Vanquish is the most important thing that has ever been written about Vanquish. The complex interplay of systems sounds appealing, but it seems like the sort of thing which only provides above average gameplay to people who are willing to go pretty deep. If Saltsman hadn't told me this staggering depth existed, I wouldn't have guessed that there was anything there from my casual playthrough.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2019
    I’ve been mostly playing console games for the past ~six years, but should be finishing a pc build tomorrow. I’ve grabbed Total War: Warhammer 2 and Battletech off the steam sale, what other recent-ish titles should I be looking at?

@pyromaniac221 What sort of stuff do you like?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Going back to a soulslike that doesn't have parry indicators (in this case, Code Vein) after spending so much time in The Surge 2 doesn't feel great. I guess it spoiled me, but it was so key to my enjoyment of the combat in that game I think it will have tainted my perspective of all others in the genre. It was that big of a quality of life addition, like i've been trying to hold my breath while diving underwater and The Surge 2 comes up and says here have a mask and oxygen tank.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Fuck yes. The next chapter in the "To The Moon" Series by freebird Games. Imposter Factory. I found this series with "Finding Paradise", the middle chapter, then went back and played To The Moon. God they are great games.

https://youtu.be/bi0EN6pPYwE

I didn't even know there was a second one. To The Moon broke my heart.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

If you have a bunch of expansion packs of content you're interested in, 3 absolutely holds up. Load times can be a bit of an annoyance in 3 but it's not the hugest leap forward to warrant playing 4 IMO.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

3 runs real slow but is cheaper and has playable ghosts soooooooooo...

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    4 is on the EA subscription thingy if you want to just try it out and see. Probably 3 as well.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Yeah The Sims seems like a great candidate for 'subscribe to EA Access for a month'. That way you get all the expansions, if you're just wanting to try it.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

I’m open to anything except horror, sims, and the more intensive 4x/strategy games (I’m on the fence with Stellaris, it looks neat but I also thought that about Crusader Kings 2 before dropping it after a couple hours).

On my buy-in-the-near-future list I’ve got Control, Disco Elysium, Plague Tale, a multiplayer shooter (either Rainbow Six or Overwatch, both of which I’ve played on console), possibly Monster Hunter when the expansion drops. I might add some bigger multiplatform titles, but particularly I’m interested in more modestly budgeted / indie releases that I might be overlooking.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Hey @Jacobkosh is this assault on Grenada the final mission of Phantom Doctrine

It feels like it in a lot of ways, and I'm just trying to decide if I want to tackle it immediately or spend some more time getting people trained and equipped for it

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

I’m open to anything except horror, sims, and the more intensive 4x/strategy games (I’m on the fence with Stellaris, it looks neat but I also thought that about Crusader Kings 2 before dropping it after a couple hours).

On my buy-in-the-near-future list I’ve got Control, Disco Elysium, Plague Tale, a multiplayer shooter (either Rainbow Six or Overwatch, both of which I’ve played on console), possibly Monster Hunter when the expansion drops. I might add some bigger multiplatform titles, but particularly I’m interested in more modestly budgeted / indie releases that I might be overlooking.

Here are some games from the past few months you might want to try out. Not all of these are PC exclusive:

Nov 22 - Lost Ember (Adventure, Exploration, Singleplayer)

Nov 21 - Black Future '88

Nov 19 - Molek Syntez (Zachlike, simulation, puzzle)

Nov 14 - Sparklite (Action, RPG, Adventure, Pixel Graphics

Nov 12 - Superliminal (Epic Game Store, Puzzle, Trippy, First-Person)

Nov 5 - Planet Zoo (simulation, animals, management)

Oct 23 - Nanotales EA (Early Access, Adventure, Typing, Exploration, Pretty)

Oct 23 - Lonely Mountains (Racing, Sports, Bikes, Low Poly)

Oct 18 - Manifold Garden (Epic Game Store, Puzzle, Abstract, Pretty)

Oct 17 - Felix the Reaper (Adventure, Puzzle, Dark Humor)

Oct 10 - Valfaris (Metal, Platformer, Arcade)

Oct 8 - Indivisible (Valkyrie Profile, Platformer, RPG, action)

Oct 8 - Trine 4 (Co-op, Platformer, Adventure)

Oct 3 - NeoCab (Narrative, Moody, cyberpunk)

Oct 1 - What the Golf (humor, puzzle, single-player)

Sep 24 - Noita (sandbox, physics, platformer)

Sep 24 - Cat Quest 2 (co-op, RPG, action-adventure, casual)

Sep 20 - Tracks, the Train Set Game (simulation, charming, casual)

Sep 19 - Mutazione (narrative, adventure, creepy)

Sep 19 - Jenny Le Clue (narrative, adventure, mystery, humor)

Sep 17 - Session EA (simulation, skateboarding, difficult)

Sep 16 - Later Alligator (narrative, humor, adventure, gators)

Sep 10 - Blasphemous (platformer, action, difficult, gory)

Sep 6 - Creature in the Well (pinball, action-adventure, narrative)

Sep 5 - River City Girls (beat-em-up, action-adventure)

Sep 5 - Fit For A King (retro, rpg, Henry VIII simulator)

Sep 5 - Sin Slayers (rpg, snes-era, narrative)

Sep 2 - Children of Morta (diablo-like, pixel art, rogue-lite)

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I'm finally playing Banner Saga 3. I really enjoyed the first two but I ended up with an ending on the second one that I wasn;t very satisfied with. At the time I just told myself, well by the time the third one comes out you can replay this one as a refresher. They're not super long individually. But once the third game came out there was always either something else grabbing my attention, or the thought of starting back from the start seemed like too much work at the time. But over the holiday weekend I have since replayed 1 and 2. Which is good because I didn't remember 2 very well or I may some very different choices. But I'm now officially like three fights into the third and final game.
    I feel like I have already made some bad decisions, so it's working as intended.

• Options
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I'm finally playing Banner Saga 3. I really enjoyed the first two but I ended up with an ending on the second one that I wasn;t very satisfied with. At the time I just told myself, well by the time the third one comes out you can replay this one as a refresher. They're not super long individually. But once the third game came out there was always either something else grabbing my attention, or the thought of starting back from the start seemed like too much work at the time. But over the holiday weekend I have since replayed 1 and 2. Which is good because I didn't remember 2 very well or I may some very different choices. But I'm now officially like three fights into the third and final game.
    I feel like I have already made some bad decisions, so it's working as intended.

i just can't play games like banner saga

like I know that it's the point that you have to make hard choices

but oh man do i not like being forced into choices with negative outcomes

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Eh you can't do worse than me. I'm pretty sure I finished 3 with like 4 people alive.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I adored the first Banner Saga, and have played it a bunch of times.

The sequels, while I recognize that they are often improvements on the main game, have never quite recaptured it for me. I've played the second one two or three times, and pretty much as soon as I finished the third one I was done with it.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Brolo wrote: »

similarly:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYJBFmWLon8
    this game just makes me feel... vaguely ill?
    like it's Impossible Decisions: the game
    give me some baby-simple "red is renegade bad, blue is paragon good" choices where the outcomes and rewards are largely the same no matter what you pick because the game narrative is just a power fantasy

Brolo on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Hey @Jacobkosh is this assault on Grenada the final mission of Phantom Doctrine

It feels like it in a lot of ways, and I'm just trying to decide if I want to tackle it immediately or spend some more time getting people trained and equipped for it

@Straightzi it totally is, yeah. If you're wondering about the mission itself, I can tell you that you'll want to bring along

(vagueness about final mission difficulty)
    some heavy hitters with the armor and the machine guns and the grenades and all of that.

But stealth will not go amiss, either. You can go loud right from the beginning, but it might be better to draw it out as long as you can.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Brolo wrote: »

I'm okay with tough choices (the Sunless games are often nothing but!) but The Banner Saga does a lot of just outright bullshit. "There are two doors, one labeled A, one labeled B," and door A instakills one of your guys. That's not an interesting choice! There was no information to inform it, and it doesn't tell me anything about either my characters or the world or the game systems. If it's a 50/50 tossup anyway, why not just flip a coin to decide if the shitty thing happens or not?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Phantom Doctrine stuff, might be specific to endgame area
    Yeah that's what I was worried about. I'm... pretty annoyed, honestly. I've spent a lot of my money/efforts on stealth stuff, most of my best agents are specialized into being masters of disguise over heavy weapons users, I've set up a ton of support slots with a variety of options, that sort of thing.

And, y'know, I sell damn near every piece of body armor that I find because it doesn't suit that style of gameplay.

I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm playing on easy and most missions are exactly that. But... well, I'll probably finish it up in the next couple of days and have some final thoughts then that will wrap all of this up.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Pathologic 2 is one of my favorite games ever, and it is nothing but tough choices. But they aren't arbitrary choices, or forced binaries. They're, "I've got six hours and can't be everywhere" choices. They're, "I scrounged up enough money for a loaf of bread for myself OR a dose of vaccine for my friend, but I don't think I can afford both" choices. They're choices that arrive slowly, inexorably, that feel like I could've avoided them if I'd been more careful, or luckier, or smarter.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Ive found it strangely difficult to nail down, is Pathologic 2 like actual sequel to Pathologic or is it a siginificantly polished and gussied up re-release

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Ive found it strangely difficult to nail down, is Pathologic 2 like actual sequel to Pathologic or is it a siginificantly polished and gussied up re-release

yes

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Yeah The Sims seems like a great candidate for 'subscribe to EA Access for a month'. That way you get all the expansions, if you're just wanting to try it.

While that seems like the logical way to onboard people with their giant dlc catalog, it isn't what EA ended up doing. You actually only get the base game and a couple of minor upgrade packs with an Access subscription.

Still, seems like a pretty good value if you want to try out the Sims plus some other EA stuff.

I just wish I didn't need to visit a third-party site just to find an easily searchable list of games on the service.

You're a multi-billion dollar coroporation EA! You should be able to figure this out!

You too, Microsoft!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »

While that seems like the logical way to onboard people with their giant dlc catalog, it isn't what EA ended up doing. You actually only get the base game and a couple of minor upgrade packs with an Access subscription.

Still, seems like a pretty good value if you want to try out the Sims plus some other EA stuff.

I just wish I didn't need to visit a third-party site just to find an easily searchable list of games on the service.

You're a multi-billion dollar coroporation EA! You should be able to figure this out!

You too, Microsoft!

Microsoft does have a searchable page

Although it does seem like you can't use the text search and the platform filter at the same time, which is silly.

This discussion has been closed.