As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Noooooooooooooooo! :(

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Feels a little weird that
    they salivated over Ghosts of Tsushima and then it gets cut in favour of two games that are just representations of the regular ole world.

I don't if I have strong feelings either way but isn't Ghosts also kind of just a representation of the real world too?
    I personally felt TLoU2 did a bit more with it's world design but I probably could have gone with any of their choices amongst the various open world games.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Yesterday's Going Rogue is another good one!

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I actually think any of the top 4-5 nominees in Best Visual would have deserved a spot, but the final podium is actually a really excellent spread of variety. You have one game that is a superlative artistic expression of pure fantasy, one game that chases cinematic "realism" in a fantastical depiction of human society, and one 'game' whose objective is neutral, high-fidelity simulation of the world using expression of technology to its current limits to the point at which it holds real artistic value in of itself.

I'd have swapped out any of those action-adventure games interchangeably, to be honest.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Day 3:
    Hahhahhahah, holy shit, what a move by Jeff dropping Tony Hawk. Everyone was dying and the look on Alex's face. Lol.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Feels a little weird that
    they salivated over Ghosts of Tsushima and then it gets cut in favour of two games that are just representations of the regular ole world.

I don't if I have strong feelings either way but isn't Ghosts also kind of just a representation of the real world too?
    I personally felt TLoU2 did a bit more with it's world design but I probably could have gone with any of their choices amongst the various open world games.

Never played it, don't own a PS but what I had seen it looked more interesting and fantastical than TLOU2 which ... did not look interesting at all, visually.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I think TLOU2 is the only one there that didn't deserve it, personally

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm sure TLOU2 will gets its actual deserved victory tomorrow, when they have the most distressing game category.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Day 3:
    Hahhahhahah, holy shit, what a move by Jeff dropping Tony Hawk. Everyone was dying and the look on Alex's face. Lol.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    DAY 4:
    The Midgar Screw Job continues. Ben and Jan keep doing FF7R dirty.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Day 4:
    Honeybee Inn got snubbed, not even listed or talked about. I dunno if I've ever enjoyed a moment in a game more than that. It was just so silly and fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_jYnCzOuBE

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Day 4:
    After the like 20 minutes Jan spent describing 13 Sentinels, I was not expecting him to kill it so quickly at the end.

• Options
    Day 4:
    Jeff dying giggling in the background while Jason rants about Phantasy Star Online 2 was amazing. And I can't wait to see Brad get into Warcraft III: Reforged.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    How badly does bugsnax get spoiled on Day 4? That's kind of the only game I'm really spoiler-adverse for that I haven't played. The mention there are spoilers in teh list itself and I want to know if I can just mute it when it comes up or if I'm just screwed.

• Options
    How badly does bugsnax get spoiled on Day 4? That's kind of the only game I'm really spoiler-adverse for that I haven't played. The mention there are spoilers in teh list itself and I want to know if I can just mute it when it comes up or if I'm just screwed.

They explicitly give away the ending.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

They explicitly give away the ending.

Do you think I can just mute it, or is it written out too?

• Options
    Stick with the audio only if you want to avoid any spoilers from their google doc.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

They get into it on Day 3 as well during the second category.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    never die wrote: »
    Day 4:
    After the like 20 minutes Jan spent describing 13 Sentinels, I was not expecting him to kill it so quickly at the end.

I'm a casual giant bomb watcher, but this totally seems to be their thing. "I loved this, let me talk sweetly of it until I discard it for whatever else."
    Day 3:

Totally agree with Brad,
    those games had their day and coming back around so the publisher can double dip doesn't merit an award.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Skipping best moment for now.

I'm so glad they brought back a negative category. Listen to these guys tear deserving stuff to shreds is incredibly cathartic.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    This week's Beastcast where they just dump their personal Top 10s is a really fun way to do it.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Day 5
    The Midgar Screw Job continues.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Day 5
    The Midgar Screw Job continues.
    Ben and Jan let me down :< Everyone else was like "wait, what?"

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I am

very happy with that list.

Since I had no horse in the race all I wanted was a particular entrant to get cut and Vinny was the hero who made it finally happen.
    Fuck you The Last Of Us 2. You may be gorgeous, and play well, and have great accessibility. But you're also one of the the most miserable, mean-spirited, unpleasant, awful pieces of media i've ever seen.

• Options
    Day 5:
    Shoulda cut both Last of Us 2 and Animal Crossing and had Final Fantasy 7 Remake instead.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Whoops I read Alex's list and now I'm crying forever

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Even back when Alex had only mentioned it off-hand in earlier Beastcasts (and on Twitter) about Thelma's passing in the context of playing Spiritfarer - as someone who played the game I found it easy to imagine how incredibly gut-wrenching the Everdoor sequences would have been for him, but by him having been affected by proximity to his grieving process I didn't realise he meant literally day zero

Like fuck I get upset just thinking back to those sequences without having to deal with actual real-life grieving in my headspace, I cannot imagine how dialled up to eleven hundred that would have been doing what Alex did.
    The game is, on paper, pretty simple. Not revolutionary, but the way it executes for players who are capable of even a shred of empathy is really, really profound. It's one of those few media that I'm so glad to have played through it but I don't think I could find the mental fortitude in me to play it again anytime soon

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Where ARE the lists? I only see the videos.

Edit: to be clear, I mean the site lists. I see the people's lists.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I can't believe a mediocre looking pack in game was middle of the top 10. It seriously appears to coast on nostalgia. (Which they even admit to.)

It's also disheartening that a remake wound up on there.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Even back when Alex had only mentioned it off-hand in earlier Beastcasts (and on Twitter) about Thelma's passing in the context of playing Spiritfarer - as someone who played the game I found it easy to imagine how incredibly gut-wrenching the Everdoor sequences would have been for him, but by him having been affected by proximity to his grieving process I didn't realise he meant literally day zero

Like fuck I get upset just thinking back to those sequences without having to deal with actual real-life grieving in my headspace, I cannot imagine how dialled up to eleven hundred that would have been doing what Alex did.
    The game is, on paper, pretty simple. Not revolutionary, but the way it executes for players who are capable of even a shred of empathy is really, really profound. It's one of those few media that I'm so glad to have played through it but I don't think I could find the mental fortitude in me to play it again anytime soon

I wish I had a similar reaction they did to the ending.

The game did affect me pretty heavily early on, and especially when Astrid said she was ready to go, but by late game the tedious game mechanics and how awful Bruce & Mickey are had worn me down to the point I just wanted it to be over. I also didn't get any of those specific plot details they talked about for the main character, I dunno if I just missed it or what.

• Options
    I wonder if we're headed to separate GOTY lists, one for original games and one for remakes. (Hearing Diablo 2 is now being remade)

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I can't believe a mediocre looking pack in game was middle of the top 10. It seriously appears to coast on nostalgia. (Which they even admit to.)

is this a joke?
    Astro's Playroom is one of the best games I played this year. I'm not a Sony guy, I never even owned a PS1 or PS2, it is just an incredibly well designed and fun game.

Regarding Tony Hawk, I can't really speak to it, but the Giantbomb guys LOVE those games. Of course it was going to be there since it appears to actually be well made unlike pro skater 5.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    If a remake is actually really good I don't understand why it would be disqualified.

The problem with a lot of remakes is that they are bad or unnecessary or both. If a remake is bad it won't make it onto the list, and any game even a brand new one can be unnecessary and so also won't make it onto a list.

Remakes actually have an even harder time getting to this point just because of the inherent bias against them. That THPS1+2 made it that far shows how good it is and how much they loved it.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I, too, hate when people like and enjoy games

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I don't hate that they picked those things, I'm just somewhat disappointed by what it suggests. The appearance of Minecraft (now with better lighting) appearing on a number of staff lists - seriously, there was such a shortage of good games that we had to go back and pad lists with something that came out 10 years ago? I get that they played it a bunch earlier this year, but isn't it a game of the year list and not game of 10 years ago list? I'm sure I come off as a crank, but the inclusion of old ass games and remakes feels disheartening because it suggests the industry couldn't come up with something new.

Nosf on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular

Astro is legit one of the best 3D platformers in years and maybe THE best outside of Nintendo. It also showed the potential of the PS5 Dualsense in fantastic ways that could easily have come off as
    Dumb and gimmicky. It is without a doubt the thing that Every PS5 owner should play first.

I’d have been disappointed if it DIDNT make the cut.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I don't hate that they picked those things, I'm just somewhat disappointed by what it suggests. The appearance of Minecraft (now with better lighting) appearing on a number of staff lists - seriously, there was such a shortage of good games that we had to go back and pad lists with something that came out 10 years ago? I get that they played it a bunch earlier this year, but isn't it a game of the year list and not game of 10 years ago list? I'm sure I come off as a crank, but the inclusion of old ass games and remakes feels disheartening because it suggests the industry couldn't come up with something new.

but it's what they liked this year, not what you liked this year, or what the industry made this year.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »

but it's what they liked this year, not what you liked this year, or what the industry made this year.

It was also made this year. Just cause the original game was released 20 years ago doesn't invalidate the work that was put into the new version.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Yeah, like THPS 1+2 is not a straight port of the original games, like the Spongebob or Destroy All Humans remasters.
    It's the content from the original games, completely remade visually, plus almost double the amount of skaters and music, brand new create a park mode, create-a-skater which wasn't in those games including 100s of parts, a new trick system that adds in stuff from the later games, and more.

• Options

They got really into Minecraft this year. They played it a bunch as a group and some of them, like Jeff, got into it enough to play on their own or on other servers, too. Just because it didn't come out this year doesn't mean it wasn't an important game to them this year and thus deserving of a spot on their lists.

Stabbity_Style.png
This discussion has been closed.