As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Noooooooooooooooo! :(

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Catching up on Bombcasts. This Jeff rant on Cyberpunk and the state of the reviews industry from the Abby Russell episode is incredible.

Being the elder statesman of the industry means he has a certain unique voice no one else can match, because he's seen it all.

Him talking about the hype cycle repeating itself over and over, being lied to by PR and then being accused of taking bribes by fans when the game companies are the ones with the agendas.
    • Reviewer plays game prerelease
    • reviews it at less than 10/10
    • fans attack reviewer
    • game finally comes out
    • Fans play game
    • now accuse reviewer of reviewing it too highly

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular

Honestly that whole thread is (with a few exceptions) all stuff I listened to All the damn time.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    What will be the Temporary Secretary of the 90s?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    All Star

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    All Star

temporary secretary is good though

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    All Star

I have some terrible news for you...

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Oh and while I don’t know if it’s the worst, it’s up there for me at least:

Bad Luhrman - Everybody’s Free.

Aka the Wear Sunscreen song

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I can't participate in this discussion, most of their "worst of the 80s" list are songs that make go "hey, I like that song" so either my taste is entirely counter theirs or this list is so sarcastic it's hit a buffer underrun and looped around.

• Options
    I didn't hear the last conversation they had about this, but I'm sure there's the caveat that the real worst song likely is not popular/no one has ever heard of it. The "Worst Song" of a decade has to be a song that wasn't so bad as to be irredeemable and not popular.

It's really just Worst Popular Song or Worst Song that got air time.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    All Star

Congratulations. This is the worst post you've ever made.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    I had never heard Temporary Secretary until it popped up on a Spotify playlist for some reason (probably the algorithm/I follow a lot of duders on there) and it's definitely Paul McCartney trying to do new wave.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    It's times like this I enjoy my musical ignorance in not having the songs start playing in my head or having any association to their names.

"Temporary Secretary"? That's a funny song name.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    It's times like this I enjoy my musical ignorance in not having the songs start playing in my head or having any association to their names.

"Temporary Secretary"? That's a funny song name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdCH7ZewAfY

it's the dumbest thing

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Well The Monkeys are known for their silly songs, right?

• Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    If today's Bombcast doesn't have Vinny and/or Alex as guests and given the episode title "The Number of the GBeast", then what are they even doing?

• Options
    Hakunin wrote: »
    If today's Bombcast doesn't have Vinny and/or Alex as guests and given the episode title "The Number of the GBeast", then what are they even doing?

Not that, apparently. They don't even have Brad or Ben.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i believe the beastcast is also recording today, so can't be in two places at once.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I wonder if Brad is too busy editing all the GotY content. He could of course also be out on assignment, as he is fond of being.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Rehab wrote: »
    I wonder if Brad is too busy editing all the GotY content. He could of course also be out on assignment, as he is fond of being.

GotY isn't happening until January.

Brad is likely just taking christmas week off.

• Options
    They've been shooting stuff between livestreams, though. We know Ben and Vinny did something together that will drop during the holiday break.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

I submitted Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On and Blur - Song 2.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Song 2 is good, though

Hell, I don't have an urge to listen to it, but My Heart Will Go On is also fine?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    My Heart Will Go On is fine, the thing that would put it on my "worst" list is just how saturated the culture was with it. that song was fucking everywhere for what felt like half the decade

Song 2 is also...fine, but it probably wouldn't even crack my top 10 favorite Blur songs

• Options
    how come Eminem's new music is so bad?
    Because he has nothing interesting to say about the world anymore so it’s just these crazy intricate and intensely proficient raps about, like, whatever headlines he skimmed that week mixed with the five episodes of South Park he really likes.

Jeff's tumblr blog is fun

steam_sig.png

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    My Heart Will Go On is fine, the thing that would put it on my "worst" list is just how saturated the culture was with it. that song was fucking everywhere for what felt like half the decade

Song 2 is also...fine, but it probably wouldn't even crack my top 10 favorite Blur songs

I imagine this is the main reason Jeff & Co hate "We didn't start the fire"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    TEMPUH-RAYREE

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Oh and while I don’t know if it’s the worst, it’s up there for me at least:

Bad Luhrman - Everybody’s Free.

Aka the Wear Sunscreen song

This was the first thing to come to my mind. I don't know if it would count. I think it should count because it was on the radio all the fucking time. My twitter is not working because I havent logged on in 7 years, otherwise I'd send them it. I kind of pushed it in their discord but I don't know if its submitted.

Truly an awful, awful 'song'

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Song 2 is good, though

Hell, I don't have an urge to listen to it, but My Heart Will Go On is also fine?

Song 2 is obnoxious, tho, and Blur is a bunch of assholes so I don't like them in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkNvk2MgiCc

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I've had the Giant Beastcast annual tabletop/pen & paper game podcast from last December in my queue since it came out. I've just skipped it because I wanted to be in the right mood for it, but I've finally started listening to it this week. It's weird because it sounds like they actually did this one in the studio. Abby seems a little disconnected from everyone else because she's in the booth. But overall, it's a good time. Austin running the whole thing as usual, with Vinny, Jeff Bakalar, Alex, Mike Mahardy, and Abby investigating the mystery of a subway train that mysteriously looped around to its first stop instead of its last stop on the line.

I wonder if they'll be doing another one this year?

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    I've had the Giant Beastcast annual tabletop/pen & paper game podcast from last December in my queue since it came out. I've just skipped it because I wanted to be in the right mood for it, but I've finally started listening to it this week. It's weird because it sounds like they actually did this one in the studio. Abby seems a little disconnected from everyone else because she's in the booth. But overall, it's a good time. Austin running the whole thing as usual, with Vinny, Jeff Bakalar, Alex, Mike Mahardy, and Abby investigating the mystery of a subway train that mysteriously looped around to its first stop instead of its last stop on the line.

The last time they did one, as the transit authority paranormal investigators or whatever, ended up making me buy a Tarot deck cause it was such a cool concept for a game system.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    The song Ironic simply because of all the bad arguments it started

Couscous on
  • Options

The last time they did one, as the transit authority paranormal investigators or whatever, ended up making me buy a Tarot deck cause it was such a cool concept for a game system.

Was that the one with the popcorn worms?

steam_sig.png

• Options

Was that the one with the popcorn worms?

I don't remember. It was this one:

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/episode-240/2970-19846

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I had forgotten about that worst of the 80s list so I took a look at the Spotify playlist and there are certainly some bad songs on there but a lot of them just seem like "this got a lot of radio play and cultural saturation, so therefore it is bad."

I'd be a lot more interested in what Jeff et al think are the best songs of the 80s/90s than the worst.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The list basically ends up being a decent list of 80s song but sorted from best to worst. If you listen to the second half or so it's generally OK.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Game of the year has unofficially begun.

https://youtu.be/dGtwMSUQqK8

That is quite the lengthy video from Dan and Friends! I watched the video that Dan posted regarding GotY (so far) posted a couple months or so ago and it was pretty entertaining and had plenty of good picks.

• Options
    These categories are pretty great. Dumb Thing of the Year (Bad). Dumb Thing of the Year (Good).

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    click play, see 7 hours.

no, i don't need to hear 7 hours of this. especially since mary is the only one i have any interest in hearing from.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    7 hours? How long did it take to upload that fucking thing?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
This discussion has been closed.