As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Minor addendum on Rivia, but one that you might want to find out on your own:

Witchers in general are dying out,
    but surprisingly the real reason is just a lack of need. Humanoids basically carved out the continent from monsters, but that process is largely finished now, even a renowned witcher like geralt is just kinda scraping by with occasional jobs. Most monsters left are just like scavengers, or have adapted to living in a civilized world. The witchers that are left don't recruit much anymore, because why bother.
    By witcher 3 of course there's piles of monsters in velen, because the whole country is a battlefield and largely in a state of anarchy.
    Also there's the fact they've lost the knowledge of the Trial of the Grasses to actually make a new witcher.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    How long are the witcher episodes? Also I'm guessing it's a 10 episode season? Thinking about maybe resubbing and checking it out. Was it shot in/does it look good in 4k?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    How long are the witcher episodes? Also I'm guessing it's a 10 episode season? Thinking about maybe resubbing and checking it out. Was it shot in/does it look good in 4k?

8 episodes, an hour each, looks good in 4k, not Grand Tour good but they use color saturation well outside of the first episode which is trying to be Linkin Park emo grey.

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Minor addendum on Rivia, but one that you might want to find out on your own:

Witchers in general are dying out,
    but surprisingly the real reason is just a lack of need. Humanoids basically carved out the continent from monsters, but that process is largely finished now, even a renowned witcher like geralt is just kinda scraping by with occasional jobs. Most monsters left are just like scavengers, or have adapted to living in a civilized world. The witchers that are left don't recruit much anymore, because why bother.
    By witcher 3 of course there's piles of monsters in velen, because the whole country is a battlefield and largely in a state of anarchy.
    Also there's the fact they've lost the knowledge of the Trial of the Grasses to actually make a new witcher.
    Actually it was just the school of the Wolf, which is Geralts particular witcher school that lost the knowledge of how to make more of them. There are other schools of witchers in varying states of decay as well, it's unclear whether or not they still have the knowledge to make more or not.

Just finished watching the series, I was quite happy with it! There were certainly areas that could be improved, the battle of sodden was kinda a mess, but overall it was entertaining and well done, true to it's roots. They totally nailed Geralt and Celanthe, and a few other characters but Ciri/Yen left a lot to be desired.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Man, I'm almost done with Hannibal. Season 1 was fairly straighforward, Season 2 went places, and then now in Season 3 it's gone buck wild and off the rails and super weird.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    Road Block wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    Not to mention for the first few episodes Ciri's story, Geralt's story, and Yennifer's story are all
    taking place at different points in time and they don't tell you this you just have to notice when you see characters appear in more than one of these stories and realize it's taking place at different points in their lives.

I thought that
    Renfi mentioning that Calanthe had just won her first battle was a good way to indicate it early. Granted it'd be fairly easy to miss.

There was also the point that
    Mousesack tells Ciri the story of girls getting locked in towers and killed "a long time ago", which hints as well that the two plots in the first episode aren't happening at the same time.

Just finished the first episode and I'm really enjoying it so far. I could definitely see somebody who hasn't played the games or read the books being confused as hell, though. The world is just there and the show isn't going out of its way to explain it at all.
    I havent read the books or played the games and I'm liking the show pretty well 4 episodes in. Though I did download the 3rd game cause I can tell I'm going to want to jump into that.

Be warned that the Witcher games are going to contain spoilers for the entire series, as they take place after the books.

Are the books that good? I could use something new to read. Witcher 3 is also on gamepass so I've thought about playing that.

I thought they were pretty entertaining. They're sort of like dark, gritty takes on European folklore.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    TacoManTacoMan Registered User regular
    I scoured, sorry if this has been asked ad nauseum, but for those who have read the books and also watched some or all of the show, what order would leave me least disappointed/most satisfied?

I’m leaning towards watching the show first and then using the Last Wish as a fuller and fleshed out version of the story, probably using the imagery and actors I’ve watched for the imagining while I read. Not necessarily a bad thing I suppose.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I think I just finished episode 5 of the Witcher last night. I'm so glad they throw in some humor here and there, otherwise Geralt would be unbearable to watch. Other than his super brooding and the weird anachronisms here and there, I really like the show. Never played the games or read the books, it's just an interesting story about tits and monsters that takes itself just the right amount of seriously.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Sounds like he doesn't really know who that or the Witcher are but gave the most actor response possible
    I have no idea what this is or what it's about but agree it could/should be played by me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I'm loving The Witcher so far! I kept my hype levels low because the potential for terrible is always there with a new live action fantasy, but damn it's been a lot of fun. Count me as someone who loves the way the story is told -- I totally understand why the show creators went the way they did with the chronology. I like that they introduce the main characters to you from the very start (or at least episode 2) instead of going all or nothing with Ciri/Yennefer and waiting to be able to tell it chronologically. I've beaten The Witcher 3 but haven't read the books, and I really can't imagine being more happy with the show than I am.

Henry Cavill is firmly in my nerd god pantheon now -- I don't think the show works at all without someone like him at the helm, and they managed to knock it out of the park with an A list actor who happens to be a big ol' nerd and loves the source material.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2019
    After one episode, The Witcher is... fine? Geralt is pretty DESTINY tedious to watch, but Blonde Arya is DESTINY interesting enough, and the DESTINY sword play is pretty DESTINY great DESTINY.

I give it DESTINY stars out of five.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    witcher
    the sword play in the first episode is pretty much never matched later, sadly

also the armor, it does nothing (yet again)

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    asofyeun wrote: »
    witcher
    the sword play in the first episode is pretty much never matched later, sadly

also the armor, it does nothing (yet again)

Well goddammit.

I'll still keep watching.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    After one episode, The Witcher is... fine? Geraldt is pretty DESTINY tedious to watch, but Blonde Arya is DESTINY interesting enough, and the DESTINY sword play is pretty DESTINY great DESTINY.

I thought ep 1 was definitely the weakest, for what its worth

regarding useless armor:
    I have to rewatch the fight again, but at least when Geralt is fighting all those armored dudes, I think he was mostly swinging at unarmored spots, like their neck.

And a lot of the dudes who fall down just get back up again, they're not dying from whacks against their armor

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Finished Witcher, overall a solid "good" that needed some better pacing in later episodes (episode 6 felt like filler). There's a solid basis here to be better and they need full support like Stranger Things to achieve that, which hopefully this season established. Full season spoilers below

-I was expecting them to be dicks and just drag out the search for Ciri into season 2 and just kill all momentum ala Walking Dead season 2, but they actually let it end in the season finale so thank you for not huffing your farts on that Netflix.

-Yennefer, still not feeling it. Less of a witch standing up and shoving the crap back in other people's faces in the final episode and more like a teen movie where the lead actress succeeds because YA plot.

-More Sabrina-chan plz uwu.

-Nilfgaard is turned into generic baddie fantasy villains, le sigh. This feels like a cowardly response by the writers for a series that always tried to throw in as much gray as possible into the world. Even Dragon Age made Tevinter and the Q'uun less black and white. Doesn't help that it's generic cult religion BS coupled with blood magic knockoffs and how can I take you seriously in that shit plastic formed armor? The putties in Power Rangers were more dignified. Come on, be better.

-This show probably cost a pretty penny compared to almost everything but Marco Polo, as most of the CGI when used looks good (a few weak spots in the witch battle in Sodden with some conjuring but on the whole they knew how to hide and use the shadows and dark to help the CGI, like Pacific Rim did. And Cavill apparently got 400k an episode. But if that was conditional on only doing like 20 minutes an episode or having a hard time limit of working 2 months or something, just pay him more or try and reach an agreement on back end production credits or let him direct his own crappy Unicorn Store for Netflix or something to do more screentime. That final episode, it was just the embodiment of a VOD type movie that has one big name in it who only shows up for 10 minutes because they owed the director or a friend a favor, even compared to other episodes in the season.

Overall 6.5/10. Best episodes were 1, 3, and 4.

It is One Punch Man season 2 (feared the worst, but actually not that bad but corners felt cut), let's aim for One Punch Man season 1.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    armor, witcher spoilers
    Oh, that fight at the end of episode is definitely the best fight of the whole series and part of it is because Geralt goes for vulnerable spots

in fact, when it comes to the smaller scale fights, the show usually has people getting hurt in those gaps (or simply being unarmored) (edit: also 'gaps' but no one knows how armor works anyway)

but also in the first episode is the 'two medieval armies charge each other in no formation' battle where lots of people just kinda get stabbed through their breastplates and stuff

also I want a show following the dwarven band of monster hunters, they seem cool

asofyeun on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Instead of resubscribing I decided to play the witcher 3 on gamepass. Seems like a decent little game, strange little world. I'm sure this will lead to me resubscribing in the near future

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Ok episode 3 just about knocked it out of the park. Really good stuff.

I will agree that Triss really feels like a completely different character... But frankly book Triss sucked so I'm pretty willing to overlook that.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I never played the game or read the books. I love the Witcher brought to you by Netflix. Admittedly Henry Cavill is a huge part of that.

Love. It.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    After one episode, The Witcher is... fine? Geralt is pretty DESTINY tedious to watch, but Blonde Arya is DESTINY interesting enough, and the DESTINY sword play is pretty DESTINY great DESTINY.

Did Texiken hack your account?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Stay tuned for the new Netflix series Henry Cavill Makes Quips From the Tub

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I never played the game or read the books. I love the Witcher brought to you by Netflix. Admittedly Henry Cavill is a huge part of that.

Love. It.

He really nails the "... fuck" every episode.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The episode 5(?) fuck is one of the best fucks to have ever graced television

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

is that the double take one?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

probably. Its the law of surprise one

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Ep. 4

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I finished the first three and loved the
    Striga and Yennifer scenes being intertwined with one another. That fight was brutal.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Hey, does anyone know a legit streaming website where I can watch The Big Bang theory on? I've looked all over, including CBS' streaming site and to no avail.

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I'm caught up on: Mrs Maisel(Good show, even though I went in thinking it wasn't for me), The Witcher!!!

Finishing: The Expanse - in season 4 now episode 7 I think. Amos rules, Holden is beyond annoying to me, dislike alot of Naomi, Chrisjen is annoying, Bobbi is cool, Alex is cool, though his texas twang can sometimes be annoying, and Miller is superb!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

Ep. 4

I just watched that. I laughed until it hurt.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Hey, does anyone know a legit streaming website where I can watch The Big Bang theory on? I've looked all over, including CBS' streaming site and to no avail.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/the-big-bang-theory

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Started watching Versailles

So far the one lesson this shares with The Tudors is: don’t marry a Spaniard.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    So thoughts on the Witcher after having finished the season, having played Witcher 3 and reading all of the books.
    I thought it was overall pretty dang good.
    Casting:
    Cavill pretty much nails Geralt. I think Yenn is pretty good casting. I think most of the people who aren't liking Yenn are coming from the place of the game only. In the early books she's still kind of immature and self-centered, and really doesn't grow until stuff in the later books (that I won't spoil as it will likely be in season 2).
    Triss was meh, though funnily enough I don't fault the hair color as much. In the books she was originally auburn and quite a bit more meek than the game version. She is the youngest of the sorceresses in the Brotherhood, by decades.
    Ciri - we'll see. By this point in the books she's just a young scared kid, which she's doing well enough. We'll see what she can become later on.
    Cahir - terrible, but that could also just be his writing, which also pretty bad.

I think the first episodes were better than the last. 1-4 were great, but the pacing got a bit off in the latter episodes.

Cons: They changed the plotline of the dragon hunt with Borch/Vilen, it was a little too drama-y.
    They cut out a couple of the side-stories featuring Geralt and Yenn that I think would have gone further in portraying how long and how storied their on again off again romance has been going on.
    Also, I really hated the Battle of Sodden Hill. I mean I knew that's where they were going, but I felt that it was better portrayed in the books as this 'off-camera' thing that happened a while ago that has up until then unknown affects for Geralt.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    John Wick 3 is on UK Netflix

Finally, I have New Year's Eve plans

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think Netflix has the latter two John Wick movies, but not the first one. I haven’t seen any, and refuse to start at 2.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I think Netflix has the latter two John Wick movies, but not the first one. I haven’t seen any, and refuse to start at 2.

I'll gift you a copy of John Wick on amazon if that's what it takes.

I mean, if that's a thing. Is that a thing? I feel like that should be a thing.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

I'll gift you a copy of John Wick on amazon if that's what it takes.

I mean, if that's a thing. Is that a thing? I feel like that should be a thing.

After having done Wickmas Eve this year, I can fully endorse this plan.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    John Wick 1 is on prime streaming in Canada, we watched it earlier

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    John Wick 3 is on UK Netflix

Finally, I have New Year's Eve plans

Have I seen John Wick 3. Nobody knows. It feels like a betrayal to watch it anywhere but on a plane if not though

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
This discussion has been closed.