As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    a nu start wrote: »
    Prime delights in telling me that I should continue watching movies I've already finished watching, which Prime should know considering that it was telling me what to watch next before the credits had finished rolling

Prime Video is such hot garbage that even though I pay for Amazon Prime, I'll never try to watch another video on it streaming service. Fault One is they don't have a Roku app (for my region). Fault B is entirely separate listing for dubbed and subbed versions.

The main reason I continue to pay for Netflix is it's really the only service that has figured out how to serve an international family. Being able to change languages for both subtitles and dubs without interrupting the video is a major plus. Same account/same app when traveling between regions is a big plus too.

Amazon UI's are such garbage. Sometimes I wonder how they can get so many things so wrong given their resources.

I suspect Prime Video is not a major part of their concern re: Amazon Prime subscriptions and so it gets put on the back burner.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    #1 UI feature I want from a streaming service that none of them seem to have is an easy way to remove something from the "Continue Watching" or whatever section.

Amazon is actually really good on this on Apple TV, you just hold down the touchpad button for a second or two and it will say if you want to remove it from your list. Really helps when you've given up on a show or movie.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I started watching Into the Night it's basically Dark Place set on a plane but completely unaware that it's terrible.

I strongly recommend it based on the first two episodes.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Trying to hide you watched half of Caged Heat 4 in a drunken haze?

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    #1 UI feature I want from a streaming service that none of them seem to have is an easy way to remove something from the "Continue Watching" or whatever section.

I know it's not THAT easy but going to the streaming history tab lets you delete stuff from Netflix, as well as on the mobile app now too I think?

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »

I know it's not THAT easy but going to the streaming history tab lets you delete stuff from Netflix, as well as on the mobile app now too I think?

Yeah, but I'd like to do it from the movie itself. That's one of the nicer things with D+ and MoviesAnywhere.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I started watching Into the Night it's basically Dark Place set on a plane but completely unaware that it's terrible.

I watched the first episode of that. It's so bad. Like, the premise is pretty dumb in the first place but they somehow manage to start from a dumb premise and only make everything constantly dumber at every turn.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I’m pretty happy with the Criterion Channel generally, but I wish they had some browse-all options or at least some genre filters aside from lists.

https://films.criterionchannel.com/channel/films

They have super intuitive filters in browser, but the UI on their app, like so many other services, leaves it to be desired. What you could do is use the browser version and list the stuff you're interested in so you can find it easy later.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

I watched the first episode of that. It's so bad. Like, the premise is pretty dumb in the first place but they somehow manage to start from a dumb premise and only make everything constantly dumber at every turn.

I'm now 4 episodes in and it's the greatest television in years

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    a nu start wrote: »
    Prime delights in telling me that I should continue watching movies I've already finished watching, which Prime should know considering that it was telling me what to watch next before the credits had finished rolling

Prime Video is such hot garbage that even though I pay for Amazon Prime, I'll never try to watch another video on it streaming service. Fault One is they don't have a Roku app (for my region). Fault B is entirely separate listing for dubbed and subbed versions.

The main reason I continue to pay for Netflix is it's really the only service that has figured out how to serve an international family. Being able to change languages for both subtitles and dubs without interrupting the video is a major plus. Same account/same app when traveling between regions is a big plus too.

Amazon UI's are such garbage. Sometimes I wonder how they can get so many things so wrong given their resources.

I suspect Prime Video is not a major part of their concern re: Amazon Prime subscriptions and so it gets put on the back burner.

Music was also terrible. The UI was so bad I went to Spotify and never looked back

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    I'm here for Lzzy Hale. I'd drop Netflix after having it for eons, if my daughter wasn't watching her shows on it (She's 4.5) Rarely am I finding anything new that I really want to watch and their ui and listings is butts compared to how it used to be. This is all based on my own personal experience.

Do you mind if I ask you what changed that you feel is now "butts" vs before?

Or what streaming service you feel has a "good" UI?

It’s really just a feeling. I don’t think I could truly quantify it if I had to. I know that I used to see new things show up that were interesting to me and now I’m only being bombarded with standups and other things that I’m not really interested in. It used to be easy to find all the new shows and movies that they had and I suppose I can still do it but they’re sorted so weird that I have to go through a ton of them to see if there’s anything I really liked. InstantWatch at least had a list of new things and also had a list of what a lot of people were watching that didn’t seem to gel with what the Netflix what is popular was putting out. All in all I have to say that Netflix is you are I still probably the best although it seems to be really lacking for me personally lately. I do find things harder to find on Amazon prime video but once I bookmark them or put them to my watchlist it’s not such a big deal and that list doesn’t magically move up and down.

So long story short it’s that I can’t really ever just log on to Netflix and find something to watch like I used to be able to. Previous I would run into the paralyzation of too many options and now I just run into nothing looks good. That’s why this thread is a lifesaver for me as people point out things I can actively search them and watch them.

Totally understand. Hopefully the UI engineers continue to make changes (Top 10 in region was one of them recently) with all this free time we've been given.

It's been a long time since a true UI revamp and I'm honestly not sure what it would take for them to try it. Probably people cancelling en masse and citing the UI as the reason. As of right now it seems like every service that comes out just duplicates and tweaks it (usually in a bad way, but I do like some of the D+ UI elements they've introduced around collections), so it's hard to see what a truly better UI should be.

I know I personally don't want a giant list to just scroll through, a la HBO GO, but some people do.

Is there any way to intentionally browse by genre in current Netflix? My fiancee and our quarantine roommate watch on my account on the big TV so my recommendations are all the sort of horrible shit you'd expect from people watching Grey's Anatomy and all of the marriage-related reality shows. I used to get mostly okay recommendations (aside from when Netflix decided I'd love Goop Labs for some reason prior to the fiancee/roommate deal) but I've now got to scroll and hope for a horror/sci-fi category.

A decent long-term solution to this would be to set up separate profiles.

Yeah, I tried to get them to make and use their own profiles. It didn't happen.

I guess I could make a second profile of my own and use that.

Put a lock code on your profile, then they can never use it.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

That's the thing though, I don't want to delete it from my viewing history. (Although it is nice to have that option and thank god someone mentioned how to do it in the thread years ago) Often I still like the show or movie and am 100% into the algorithm taking that into account. I just want it out of my "Resume Viewing" section. Because there's currently seemingly no way to tell the system that I don't want to resume watching the rest of this episode/movie/whatever and I was just browsing to a specific part to see something and now I'm done with it or something like that.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    I'd be happy if the My List/Continue Watching lists stayed in the same place near the top, it seems like half the time I have to scroll around to find the Continue Watching list. I'm watching on a PS4 if that matters.

Speaking of PS4 UI...
    I hate that I can't order the tiles on the video apps menu. The first few are D+, Netflix, and Hulu, which is not exactly accurate in terms of frequency of use, but is at least convenient. But my most used app is generally CrunchyRoll, which is on the far right with 2 stubs for apps that aren't even installed in the way. Let me remove that ESPN tile Sony. I'll never ever use it.

Ugh yeah thats annoying. Main page sorts things by last used, why doesnt that same feature work in the video apps menu?

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

The Plex app (used for watching your own (or someone elses) hosted stuff actually has this feature very accessible. "Mark as watched".

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

Into the Night is both amazingly stupid and extremely compelling. The science will dissolve your brain and most of the characters are dumb fucking assholes, but I couldn't stop watching. And the whole thing is only like three hours long.

The kind of science we're talking about:
    The sun changed polarity! But usually it just changes polarity a little and this time it changed polarity a whole lot! And now it's emitting gamma rays, which will kill you even if you're deep underground! Also it ruins food because it changes the food's DNA so it's not nutritious anymore, unless the food is in a can, because the can blocks the deadly rays, but only if you're a food, not if you're a people, except plants are okay, unless they're food plants.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Into the Night is both amazingly stupid and extremely compelling. The science will dissolve your brain and most of the characters are dumb fucking assholes, but I couldn't stop watching. And the whole thing is only like three hours long.

The sun changed polarity! But usually it just changes polarity a little and this time it changed polarity a whole lot! And now it's emitting gamma rays, which will kill you even if you're deep underground! Also it ruins food because it changes the food's DNA so it's not nutritious anymore, unless the food is in a can, because the can blocks the deadly rays, but only if you're a food, not if you're a people, except plants are okay, unless they're food plants.

The bad science has to be deliberate. It's like it was written as a comedy but then filmed as a drama.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

How did you spell The Magicians this bad?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I just watched a trailer for that show and I think my brain tried to escape out of my nose after reading your guys description.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I just wish the Netflix for Windows app got any updates at all, because it's utter garbage compared even to the normal webbrowser UI, but the picture quality is generally better than the browser version.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    A Chronological order of everything as it was added would be great. Number one wish for sure.

Prime repped Star Trek 2009 as "just added" as recently as 2018 for example.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    To be fair, film streaming rights mean they kind of do a circuit around the services, so it could in fact be new (or recently re-added) to Prime.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I signed up for HBO Max for a month, it's got most of MadTV (a few episodes missing here and there for some reason) but that makes me happy. Also have This Time With Alan Partridge, which is classic Partridge Cringe.

The commercials for the service though showed South Park and it's not there, which feels like bait and switch. They don't even have the movie for a technicality.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    My wife and I have been watching action movies on Saturdays, regardless of quality (we are usually aiming for bad/cheesy ones), and a few weeks ago we watched Chuck Norris's Invasion U.S.A., where Russians (and their allies) covertly invade the US and run a guerrilla terror campaign and only Chuck can stop it. It's pretty dumb!

So last night we decided we were going to watch Red Dawn since I noticed last week it was on Netflix and it's theoretically a better version of "Russians invade the US". I haven't seen it in at least 20 years. And there was a lot of sadness when I discovered that it left Netflix last Sunday! :(

We watched Air Force One instead.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    While Invasion USA is poop from a butt, I'll give Golan/Globus credit for chutzpah, finding a shopping mall and entire suburban subdivision that were scheduled for demolition/reimagining and literally blowing shit to pieces.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    My wife is watching season 15 of Supernatural since it came to Netflix and all I can think is
    ATTACK AND DETHRONE GOD

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Docshifty wrote: »
    My wife is watching season 15 of Supernatural since it came to Netflix and all I can think is
    ATTACK AND DETHRONE GOD

There was a point where the Brothers were the boogiemen that demons were afraid of and it was kind of neat. They had the actual leverage to bring everyone (heaven,hell,purgatory, and earth) to the table and hash out a treaty. But the show never wanted to do that and it had several bad seasons of falling apart and I couldnt keep with it. Does it get any better in the last 4 seasons? I can't remember where I left off. I remember the high school play about their novels making fun of the creepy fanbase. I might have seen past that.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The rule I've always heard is to watch Supernatural to the end of S5 and then stop, because that's where it was actually written to end and the rest is just to draw the show out as long as possible. Which, naturally, means that show dropped into a habit of bad episodes and inconsistent quality.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    ATTACK AND DETHRONE GOD

There was a point where the Brothers were the boogiemen that demons were afraid of and it was kind of neat. They had the actual leverage to bring everyone (heaven,hell,purgatory, and earth) to the table and hash out a treaty. But the show never wanted to do that and it had several bad seasons of falling apart and I couldnt keep with it. Does it get any better in the last 4 seasons? I can't remember where I left off. I remember the high school play about their novels making fun of the creepy fanbase. I might have seen past that.

Season 11 (I think the episode you're talking about is in Season 10) was pretty good all the way through. The rest varied in quality, but none of them were as bad as the Leviathan and Purgatory seasons (IMO).

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    ATTACK AND DETHRONE GOD

Season 11 (I think the episode you're talking about is in Season 10) was pretty good all the way through. The rest varied in quality, but none of them were as bad as the Leviathan and Purgatory seasons (IMO).

Thats definitely where I quit out of being sick of it being bad. I'll check back in on it! Thanks! I also remember an episode with
    God doing the song, and I thought it was pretty ok but I remember it either getting mixed reactions or was hated
    Something stands out about season 11. If they aren't as bad as leviathan/purgatory/that horrible fast food villain season(holy fuck, typing that out) then I can stomach it.

And yeah, the season 5 planned ending stuff is true. It has ups and downs after and I finally quit after some really bad downs. I am pretty sure 'next season is the last' has been a statement since season 10 or 11. I always check back in and go 'is it still one more season?'

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I tried watching The Last Days of American Crime but stopped as it was really not good. Seems I'm not alone.

Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 0.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    That's not a lot of number.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I tried watching The Last Days of American Crime but stopped as it was really not good. Seems I'm not alone.

Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 0.

"This is not good action cinema. This is not even good alligator-brain cinema" is a hell of a quote.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I lost supernatural after...one of the brothers comes back from Hell and I think they are looking for the mark of Cain?

I really liked the early seasons when they fought low stakes personal ghosts and weren't just stabbing demons and angels to death left and right.

But I respect the hell out of them for fifteen fucking seasons.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The fake Supernatural show in Horse Girl was completely accurate, I assume

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Finished Parks and Recreation. If I had known at the time that recommendation was to just skip season 1, I probably would have done that. It was... not good. But I'm glad I kept going and Season 2 started getting a lot better about halfway through and only went up from there.

I like how the characters generally became more layered over the course of the show; comedies in particular seem to have a big problem with flanderization as a series runs long.

And for someone who was dragged to no small number of meetings as a kid in the late 80s/early 90s because my grandfather constantly held some position in small town politics(mayor, council, trustee, etc) Parks' town hall meeting scenes are oftentimes as uncomfortably close to true to life as they are satirical.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Season 1 of Parks and Rec is particularly painful because they went way overboard with the asshole quotient, and the main character has very little redeeming qualities other than you feel bad for her because everyone is an asshole to her.

Thankfully they figure things out very quickly in Season 2 and basically start over all the characters from scratch. I tell everyone I know to skip Season 1 and never look back. There's pretty much nothing good in that first season that is worth watching that you can't pick up via context in Season 2

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    A Chronological order of everything as it was added would be great. Number one wish for sure.

Prime repped Star Trek 2009 as "just added" as recently as 2018 for example.

The recently added groups are mostly useless on Netflix, too, like actually recent stuff often doesn't show up but stuff from half a year ago still does.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    See also: watch The Office seasons 1-7, then skip 8-9 except for the very last 3 episodes of the series.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Finished Parks and Recreation. If I had known at the time that recommendation was to just skip season 1, I probably would have done that. It was... not good. But I'm glad I kept going and Season 2 started getting a lot better about halfway through and only went up from there.

I like how the characters generally became more layered over the course of the show; comedies in particular seem to have a big problem with flanderization as a series runs long.

And for someone who was dragged to no small number of meetings as a kid in the late 80s/early 90s because my grandfather constantly held some position in small town politics(mayor, council, trustee, etc) Parks' town hall meeting scenes are oftentimes as uncomfortably close to true to life as they are satirical.

That's funny, we just watched the penultimate episode last night and will probably watch the finale this week. Everyone recommended that I skip season 1, but we powered through it anyway. I honestly don't remember too much about it except that it was shorter than all the other seasons. I'm glad it didn't dissuade us, though. We had just finished watching The Office, which we enjoyed overall, but Parks & Rec was a nice departure because it's much less of a squirm-in-your-seat cringe thing.

Funny how Mark Brendanawicz leaves and we never hear about him again. I wonder what happened there?

When we finished season 6, I was surprised because it felt like a series finale. Season 7 has been fun as sort of an epilogue season, though! Not sure what we're going to watch next.
    knitdan wrote: »
    See also: watch The Office seasons 1-7, then skip 8-9 except for the very last 3 episodes of the series.

I've often heard it's best to skip season 1 of The Office, but I think there are some good episodes to watch too. It's notably meaner than the later seasons, though. Season 8 has some fun bits, but they're almost all focused on Robert California. If I were to rewatch the series, I'd probably stop at the end of season 3 and then maybe revisit some other episodes here and there.

• Options

The bad science has to be deliberate. It's like it was written as a comedy but then filmed as a drama.

I just finished Into The Night and it remained incredible

There's an outstanding scene where the scientist spouts absolute gibberish about how to climb an electric fence and he tells everybody to stand on conductors and ground themselves.

Also they all have to get topless.

Solid stuff.

I look forward to series 2 where they have to fly the plane to the moon or some shit to restore the ozone layer of the sun

This discussion has been closed.