As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    If they like Avatar, have they done Legend of Korra? Or is that just considered part of an Avatar watchthru nowadays?

I dunno, Korra seems definitely more geared towards older kids.

People get turbo-killed in Legend of Korra. Like, super dead. Action movie-level exits.

Methods of demise spoilers within
    Vacuum suffocation, head exploding, and that fucking boat

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Gargoyles had a surprising amount of straight up murders for Disney afternoon show. Most of the them were still disneyfied, but there was a lot of people getting tossed off roofs and humans and gargoyles turned into statues and then smashed to pieces.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Non-Horrible Young Kid-Friendly Stuff Includes:
    Danger and Eggs (Amazon)
    Cupcake and Dino (Netflix)
    Hilda (Netflix)
    Harvey Girls (Netflix)
    Dinotrux (Netflix)
    Archibald's Next Big Thing (Netflix)

Hilda is good and my daughter watches it but it's also got some shit that really young kids would probably find a little scary.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Non-Horrible Young Kid-Friendly Stuff Includes:
    Danger and Eggs (Amazon)
    Cupcake and Dino (Netflix)
    Hilda (Netflix)
    Harvey Girls (Netflix)
    Dinotrux (Netflix)
    Archibald's Next Big Thing (Netflix)

Hilda is good and my daughter watches it but it's also got some shit that really young kids would probably find a little scary.

The lawyers? D:

But yeah, a lot of these have moments where it's good to at least be close enough for a hug.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Umbrella Academy trailer came out same time as The Boys; co workers tell me it's a good show but all I can think when I see it is Morrison's Doom Patrol, then Morrison's X-men and that scene from The Simpsons with Stan from American dad in an Italian law book subtitled "Plagiarismo di Plagiarismo"

Oh, and freaking finally, Amazon Prime is rolling out separate viewing profiles so our Prime won't just be a sea of true crime and serial killers recommendations. Now if they'd just add family accounts in Canada already.

Nosf on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Umbrella Academy trailer came out same time as The Boys; co workers tell me it's a good show but all I can think when I see it is Morrison's Doom Patrol, then Morrison's X-men and that scene from The Simpsons with Stan from American dad in an Italian law book subtitled "Plagiarismo di Plagiarismo"

Oh, and freaking finally, Amazon Prime is rolling out separate viewing profiles so our Prime won't just be a sea of true crime and serial killers recommendations. Now if they'd just add family accounts in Canada already.

Having seen seasons 1 of Umbrella Academy, The Boys, and Doom Patrol: none of them are particularly similar. I guess Doom Patrol and Umbrella Academy are the most alike but still extremely different in tone and content.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Doom patrol is really different from umbrella academy. Doom patrol is tongue in cheek/silly hijinks of immortals of different origins and their baggage, UA is much more focused and serious story with some levity.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I don't want to put words into Nosf's mouth, but I think they were getting at the fact that Umbrella Academy is essentially a pastiche of Doom Patrol the comic, not Doom Patrol the TV show. Honestly, there's definitely some inspiration there, which is hardly surprising considering Gerad Way would go on to get his own Doom Patrol run.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Can't say how it compares to Doom Patrol, but I enjoyed Umbrella Academy. The first episode or two was a bit rough though since pretty much all the characters start off as really unlikable. It improves greatly once they flesh them out and slather on some backstory and character building, but I had to batten down to get through those first impressions.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I love Dark now that we are into season 2, but my wife can't watch it before bed. So we started watching Homeland.

Does it get any better after the first season? Also I have to keep reminding myself that the first season was back in 2011.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Season 1 was homelands best

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I also hear good things about Storybots.

Storybots is fantastic. I like it more than my daughter does, and I non-ironically watched the newest season (which was too long ago) without her.

https://youtu.be/la6nXuAw-Oo

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I love Dark now that we are into season 2, but my wife can't watch it before bed. So we started watching Homeland.

Does it get any better after the first season? Also I have to keep reminding myself that the first season was back in 2011.

Homeland is wildly erratic throughout its entire run, but no matter how bad it gets, watching Danes and Patinkin work with the material they're given is worth it. It really helps if you're generally into spy stuff, but you can watch it just for their interplay (and how they run everyone around them).

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

Having seen seasons 1 of Umbrella Academy, The Boys, and Doom Patrol: none of them are particularly similar. I guess Doom Patrol and Umbrella Academy are the most alike but still extremely different in tone and content.

I think UA is closer to Dirk Gently - weirdness, shenanigans and crazy stuff abounds.

Looking forward to UA 2 - wasn’t sure it would get a season two and was happy to see the trailer pop up.

Between this and the Boys 2, we’ve got some good TV on the way.

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Finished watching Warrior Nun; I'm still kind of so-so on it, but it's not terrible. As mentioned, Ava is terrible and it feels like the plot really meanders in the middle (which for a short season is a problem). I saw the final twists coming a mile away, but they do set up some interesting things for next season potentially.

Started on season 2 of Hanna; also very much on the so-so bucket. The actors are so wooden its hard to get involved. Its also jarring to me that they make Hanna into some Jason Bourne level secret agent. She lived in a literal forest with no human contact until 16, but somehow knows how to drive, pickpocket, avoid cameras, etc etc.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I want to like Hanna S2. I like exploring the school and seeing more of the corporate/government entity that is responsible for all of this (kind of like Homecoming did in its second season), but honestly (imnsho), it's just so boring, and there's absolutely nothing in this show we haven't seen in a hundred other lady assassin/feral child assassin productions from the last couple of decades.

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    I want to like Hanna S2. I like exploring the school and seeing more of the corporate/government entity that is responsible for all of this (kind of like Homecoming did in its second season), but honestly (imnsho), it's just so boring, and there's absolutely nothing in this show we haven't seen in a hundred other lady assassin/feral child assassin productions from the last couple of decades.

Yeah, I'm definitely in the same boat. Just finished episode 6 and I'm not really looking forward to slogging through two more episodes (although I probably will). The random betrayals and stupid decisions from the girls are just so baffling. It's like you said, we've seen it in a hundred other productions so I know what they are trying to go for, but it just feels so unearned in the context of the show and the actors are all just so wooden it's just "curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal" over and over, with like zero emotional conflict either on the betrayor or betrayee. Just feels like they have a checkbox of plot points and they are going down the list. "whelp, guess I just betrayed my only friend in the world (again), now time to turn around and betray the group I betrayed the first person for, for literally no reason other than the group doing what I knew they were doing the entire time. I will communicate my deep emotional conflict by staring blankly at the camera without saying anything for a few minutes"

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I watched The Old Guard earlier, the new Charlize Theron film on Netflix.

A good enough action film, worth a watch.

Clearly set up for a sequel, though, so I wonder if they got a contract to make multiple movies ?

Theron is listed as an executive producer, so I wonder if it’s a project for her.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Theron is 44, so probably needs to produce things to get cast.

I watched Palm Springs, which is a Hulu Groundhog Day kind of thing, but enough different to be amusing. Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti (the titular mother in HIMYM who was so badly served by the producers of that) star. JK Simmons is also there.

Basically:
    We join him millions of days into the loop when he accidentally introduces Milioti's character into it. Previously he got Simmons in, and Simmons' character is pissed and regularly hunts him down to murder him.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    does anyone have recommendations for shows to watch with younger (5 & 8) kids?

the two big hits so far have been she-ra and avatar: the last airbender

tried a few episodes of adventure time, I think it's a little too old and weird for them

next thing I thought we'd try is infinity train, but any thoughts are appreciated!

The new Voltron (that I totally have to catch up on) was pretty good.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Clearly set up for a sequel, though, so I wonder if they got a contract to make multiple movies ?

Theron is listed as an executive producer, so I wonder if it’s a project for her.

Watched it tonight too. I watch whatever Theron is in pretty much. She was good as usual and the movie was fine. Well made. But it didn't really grab me. A little lacking in creativity and world building. The bad guy was kind of a lazy archetype.

Also a clear example of a movie that was using the inception soundtrack as temporary music and then the composer was forced to make something that sounds exactly the same.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I’m watching Uncut Gems. I don’t know why. It’s giving me super anxiety.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

I thought it was really boring. How they made a film about immortality, one of my favourite concepts, boring, I do not know. It probably doesn't help that they make every character individually boring and cast individually boring people. Even Theron, who is fire incarnate in most films, is subdued here.
    It's like the anti vampire film, where they indulge in every benefit of being unkillable, here they've spent 6,000 years just being miserable apparently, oh and changing world events but we don't see any of that because it's too expensive (which is what Groundhog Day figured out nearly 30 years ago). I assume it is all from the comic, but immortals who can just randomly become not immortal, and there's one made for the first time in 1000 years or whatever but no reason is given, and all those immortal DNA strands and tissues that were captured weren't destroyed as far as I know, and is it magical or is it genetic? How can it be genetic when there is a psychic goddamn connection between you all?
    And everyone just looks unhappy. Everyone is sad. Everyone is miserable. But it's not in an interesting, dramatic way.

It was just boring. And I was looking forward to it too.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

For a movie filled with characters I didnt really care about I was really impressed with how stressed it made me, Adam Sandler was really impressive.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i thought Palm Spring was ok. not as good as Groundhog Day but did a few interesting things to keep the movie moving forward.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    i thought Palm Spring was ok. not as good as Groundhog Day but did a few interesting things to keep the movie moving forward.

How many comedies are as good as Groundhog Day?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

For a movie filled with characters I didnt really care about I was really impressed with how stressed it made me, Adam Sandler was really impressive.

It's Adam West running down the street with a bomb - you know it's gonna explode you just don't want it to happen around somebody innocent.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Warrior Nun was an interesting ride for me - I'm not an expert on cinematography, so I tend to be incredibly easy to please when it comes to the moving pictures - I enjoyed the Warrior Nun series, so much I actually watched it twice!

It wasn't particularly ground breaking, in fact some of the scenes you could tell were really low/Netflix budget. The writing was average to good. The acting was average to good. The visual effects overall were good, but at one point demonstrated that the budget wasn't being spent in the graphics department. The scene-to-scene editing was alright - there were a few skips that I found slightly jarring, but not too bad.

A few of the leads stood out in terms of the acting, or at least acting through sheer charisma, in a way I'm unable to describe succinctly.

Where I think my brain got hooked was the framing of the scenes, and the nostalgia of seeing European cities (a lot appears to have been shot on location in Spain & Italy). It was just a hit of something for my brain to see the cobble stone streets in the pedestrian centers. The grand vistas of some of the more 'touristy' spots. The framing of the internal shots in cathedrals. It was definitely an escape to Europe for my brain that I wish could have lasted more than a weekend.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Yeah Netflix doesn't really seem to spend a lot of money on their original action movies. I haven't gotten to Extraction yet but I first noticed this behavior with Triple Frontier, where the interesting plot is tepidly rendered out in an empty house and a bunch of empty hillsides.

The fight choreography in The Old Guard is a lot of fun but I wanted more.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

The conversation he essentially has with himself with how big a loser he is and everyone hates him and he's a worthless piece of shit slowly morphing into him declaring he's going to prove all the haters wrong with his bets made me physically uncomfortable.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

I thought it was really boring. How they made a film about immortality, one of my favourite concepts, boring, I do not know. It probably doesn't help that they make every character individually boring and cast individually boring people. Even Theron, who is fire incarnate in most films, is subdued here.
    It's like the anti vampire film, where they indulge in every benefit of being unkillable, here they've spent 6,000 years just being miserable apparently, oh and changing world events but we don't see any of that because it's too expensive (which is what Groundhog Day figured out nearly 30 years ago). I assume it is all from the comic, but immortals who can just randomly become not immortal, and there's one made for the first time in 1000 years or whatever but no reason is given, and all those immortal DNA strands and tissues that were captured weren't destroyed as far as I know, and is it magical or is it genetic? How can it be genetic when there is a psychic goddamn connection between you all?
    And everyone just looks unhappy. Everyone is sad. Everyone is miserable. But it's not in an interesting, dramatic way.

Another thing about the movie that bugged me was the motivations of the traitor. He could have volunteered himself to be tested on my a legitimate lab anytime he wanted to! Could have gone public and made sure his welfare was taken care of. Just visits the lab every week for new tests. It clearly wasn't about making his friends do the torture tests instead of him because his whole plan was to just let himself get captured with them. It makes no sense.

Not to mention that people that are hundreds and thousands of years old aren't trillionaires by now. They should be ruling the world. Not doing these little rescue missions, saving one person at a time.

notya on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    notya wrote: »

Another thing about the movie that bugged me was the motivations of the traitor. He could have volunteered himself to be tested on my a legitimate lab anytime he wanted to! Could have gone public and made sure his welfare was taken care of. Just visits the lab every week for new tests. It clearly wasn't about making his friends do the torture tests instead of him because his whole plan was to just let himself get captured with them. It makes no sense.

Not to mention that people that are hundreds and thousands of years old aren't trillionaires by now. They should be ruling the world. Not doing these little rescue missions, saving one person at a time.

It's an example of the absolute best way to squander immortality.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

tried a few episodes of adventure time, I think it's a little too old and weird for them

next thing I thought we'd try is infinity train, but any thoughts are appreciated!

I think if kids can keep up with it, its a really good intro on how saving the day isnt the end of the story, and managing government and the choices you have to make is more complicated than it seems. You cant arrest an empires worth of 'bad guys' once you beat its leader, you have to figure out how to change and improve a system that used to enslave and conquer.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular

I think if kids can keep up with it, its a really good intro on how saving the day isnt the end of the story, and managing government and the choices you have to make is more complicated than it seems. You cant arrest an empires worth of 'bad guys' once you beat its leader, you have to figure out how to change and improve a system that used to enslave and conquer.

You've just sold me on Voltron.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Stardust (on Netflix) is a really good movie. Like, how have I never heard of this before good.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ... II actually don’t know how you hadn’t heard of it before.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    ... II actually don’t know how you hadn’t heard of it before.

Especially on this friggin board

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Finished Palm Springs on Hulu earlier. I am an absolute sucker for all time-travel/time-loop movies and thus my bar is pretty low. However, this was a certainly enjoyable little rom-com and it had some nice twists on the Groundhog Day theme. Highly recommend if you like any of that style of sci-fi story or you are a big fan of J Jonah Jameson.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

You've just sold me on Voltron.

Just to sell it a bit harder, it's similar to She-Ra in the sense that the "bad guys" are almost all more complex than just "are bad guys" and generally can be helped rather than just exploded. Don't get me wrong, there's some plenty evil stuff that happens, but the worst villain in the show also has some painfully understandable motivations.

And the show doesn't shy away from victory and defeat both having costs, but it's also incredibly wholesome overall with some very lighthearted moments. I actually put off finishing the series for something like a year because I couldn't muster the heart to let it end. It's sort of bizarre how great a job they did with building something coherent, excellent, and modern from the rather dated source material.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Just finished Japan Sinks 2020.

First, Exactly What It Says On The Tin.

Second, it's disaster porn. I'm not sure the world needed another pain train to Miseryville in 2020.

Third, it's actually pretty well done. The "slice-of-life apocalypse" concept does have some legs for me, and making who lives and dies kinda random and arbitrary at least gives it some verisimilitude. That said, trigger warnings all up in y'all.

This discussion has been closed.