Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Enjoying Cobra Kai right now, though I was never a fan of Daniel so this is nice.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Started The Pretender

Kept trying to fix the dub options at the start of the show

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

I read an article the other day about Lovecraft country and they were talking about the monsters and how they're all called "Cthullus" and there's all sorts of different types of cthullus and holy shit that article made me mad.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Cobra Kai is amazing and on netflix and you so should give it a shot.

Also, whatever happened to that faerie show on Netflix that was supposed to be cool?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Bright? Or Carnival Row which is on Amazon?

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

Carnival Row, any good?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I liked Carnival Row well enough. Bit predictable at points, but entertaining overall.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I read an article the other day about Lovecraft country and they were talking about the monsters and how they're all called "Cthullus" and there's all sorts of different types of cthullus and holy shit that article made me mad.

Name that Cthullu!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Quid wrote: »
    Started The Pretender

I loved that show as a young person.

I mean the main character is like a magic person with impossible powers, but he was such a fun guy to basically be quantum leaping his way around the world.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Carnival Row, any good?

It's pretty good, and it's got a Cthulhu.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So Bill and Ted is out, and there are three packs on Apple, Google Play, Fandango, and Vudu that include all three movies. Has anyone else purchased them? The fandango and Vudu ones include the 4K version of Face the Music, but the Apple and Google ones are just HD? Is that right?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Carnival Row, any good?

It's pretty good, and it's got a Cthulhu.

Stop trying to make Cthulhu as an improper noun happen! No good can come of this!

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I enjoyed Bright. It felt like a Shadowrun movie. It has some pretty damn problematic things in it but tbh that's a significant part of why it felt like a Shadowrun movie.

I've heard great things about Carnival Row but I couldn't get into it. I think I need to give it another chance though.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Finally catching up with the last two seasons of Orphan Black. Lord but the end of S5E7 made me squirm.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    It's crazy/funny how fast Cobra Kai got me
    rooting against Daniel

No Mercy!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Finally catching up with the last two seasons of Orphan Black. Lord but the end of S5E7 made me squirm.

I found the way every series added an extra layer of nonsense a bit tiring after a while, it became too obvious that there was no planned plot and they were just writing from series to series.

Which is a shame as the early stuff was fun and that main actor is just outstanding in her range.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    So...how vital is watching Karate Kid Part III before watching Cobra Kai? I'm going to guess not very, but I know that
    Kreese is one of the villains in III and shows up again in Cobra Kai
    . I honestly don't know if I've ever made it through the entire third movie before; I always remember catching it while channel surfing and thinking that it seemed like a bad film. And it's leaving Netflix tomorrow.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Started The Pretender

I loved that show as a young person.

I mean the main character is like a magic person with impossible powers, but he was such a fun guy to basically be quantum leaping his way around the world.

Oh

Wait

Great Pretender, not The Pretender

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I found the way every series added an extra layer of nonsense a bit tiring after a while, it became too obvious that there was no planned plot and they were just writing from series to series.

Which is a shame as the early stuff was fun and that main actor is just outstanding in her range.

They definitely do, and I’ve lost track of the various corporations and big cheeses and how they all interact a bit. But the fifth season is providing a lot of narrative and, more importantly, emotional resolution.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    So...how vital is watching Karate Kid Part III before watching Cobra Kai? I'm going to guess not very, but I know that
    . I honestly don't know if I've ever made it through the entire third movie before; I always remember catching it while channel surfing and thinking that it seemed like a bad film. And it's leaving Netflix tomorrow.

Literally not at all important. Your vague memories of the first movie are all you really need.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

They definitely do, and I’ve lost track of the various corporations and big cheeses and how they all interact a bit. But the fifth season is providing a lot of narrative and, more importantly, emotional resolution.

If you've lied to me and I go back to this and it's just more layers of nonsense I'll be most displeased

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

If you've lied to me and I go back to this and it's just more layers of nonsense I'll be most displeased

I can vouch for Bogart here. I gave up on trying to unravel all the competing orgs, and I was still able to enjoy it just based on general story and character stuff. The occasional moments of "wait, why is this group doing this again?" didn't really get in the way.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Literally not at all important. Your vague memories of the first movie are all you really need.

Correct me if I’m wrong, since I haven’t watched the second two seasons, but I assume this is the case because the show actually focuses on Johnny (and Daniel only through Johnny), and Johnny is only the antagonist in the first movie.

It’s not like Daniel really changes dramatically as a character through the second two movies, so yeah Karate Kid tells you everything you need to know about these characters and their backstories.

• Options

How far did you get?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The plot is absolute nonsense from the end of season one on, basically. But there are plenty of good character moments and Maslany is Maslany so it's still mostly worth watching.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

How far did you get?

Series 5, episode 5

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I actually think you could probably watch Cobra Kai while never having seen a Karate Kid film and not miss anything too important. The show goes into a fair amount of effort in getting viewers up to speed with the basics.

It's also fantastic, so.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I would imagine (as someone who hasn't watched the series at all) that there is thematic value in taking the irredeemable antagonist of the film and recontextualizing them as the protagonist of the series. More so than if the show just existed in a vacuum.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The plot is absolute nonsense from the end of season one on, basically. But there are plenty of good character moments and Maslany is Maslany so it's still mostly worth watching.

I think I binged the first two seasons all at once, and was able to follow the plot well enough. It was when I had to try to keep everything sorted in my head for longer than 24 hours that everything started to fall apart.

Which is an issue I think most mythology- heavy series have. Mr. Robot has the same problem, which is why I'm just going to rewatch the entire series now that the final season is streaming.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    The only thing I know about Orphan Black is years ago my sister had told me my niece had become a huge Orphan Black fan. Which I confused with Bible Black, and then made this face for like 10 minutes
    :bigfrown:

• Options
    Curious, and not sure if you can answer @Aphostile

Does the sheer explosion of Cobra Kai on Netflix after going relatively unknown for years on another service, give a big bump in negotiating power? Or is it more a drop in the bucket and just nice bonus advertising/pr?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The amount of people in my circles talking about Cobra Kai has been refreshing, it's almost up there when people take the dive into One Piece or back when Community was racking up dabs on everyone midway through season 1.

And for UwU points, Redline is up on Amazon right now. If you like Cobra Kai, you'll like Redline, it's like a 0.99:1 correlation.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The amount of people in my circles talking about Cobra Kai has been refreshing, it's almost up there when people take the dive into One Piece or back when Community was racking up dabs on everyone midway through season 1.

And for UwU points, Redline is up on Amazon right now. If you like Cobra Kai, you'll like Redline, it's like a 0.99:1 correlation.

yeah, this must be so embarrassing for everyone at Youtube Red.

I wonder if Good Game can find a better home on another platform.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    "Better than it has any right to be" is the perfect review of Cobra Kai, I am loving this

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Curious, and not sure if you can answer Aphostile

Does the sheer explosion of Cobra Kai on Netflix after going relatively unknown for years on another service, give a big bump in negotiating power? Or is it more a drop in the bucket and just nice bonus advertising/pr?

Negotiating power for whom? Us? The actors?

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

For those just getting into Cobra Kai, I give unto you the best Karate Kid connected thing from the dark years between Hilary Swank and Youtube:

https://youtu.be/olQ3vaiv47I

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Curious, and not sure if you can answer Aphostile

Negotiating power for whom? Us? The actors?

Like for Netflix, in a "you get actual views with us" type way

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    I think you have it backwards, If someone is trying to sell Netflix a season of a series, and the first two seasons get a shit load of views. That strengthens the negotiating position of the seller, not of netflix.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    I think you have it backwards, If someone is trying to sell Netflix a season of a series, and the first two seasons get a shit load of views. That strengthens the negotiating position of the seller, not of netflix.

Not really. Netflix isn't HBO, where they try to get you with 1 prestige show. It maintains by having a large catalogue where you can always find something. Like Bojack had more in the tank, but it was unlikely to capture new subscribers or lose many subs. At that point, what negotiating power do you really have against Netflix?

Having too many hit shows for Netflix is like McDonald's giving you 116 ketchup packets. You'll come back if they only give you 2.

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »

I think what @WiseManTobes is saying is that it underperformed quite a bit on Youtube but is now seeing an explosion of interest. The first episode is the only one with a view tracker (possibly it was free when it was first released? I don't remember), so the 89million views it has on YT don't really extend to the rest of the series (especially given how low the YT Red/Premium subs were).

Nothing. Matters.
This discussion has been closed.