As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Harley Quinn is further proof that all you need to do to make me laugh is to read off perfectly ordinary lines in Tom Hardy's Bane voice.

I want his coffee mug, it speaks to me:

"Caffeine is my Reckoning"

My favorite bane joke from episode 2 was definitely
    bane at trivia night

I'm gonna blow up the steelers!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Finally watched The Irishman

Without spoiling anything I can say it definitely doesn’t glorify the mob life.

It’s also incredibly self-indulgent and at the very least an hour too long.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    So it turns out The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is still amazing and I am mad that it's impossible for me to just binge season three in it's entirety right now and still make it to work.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Fine, I'll give Ms. Maisel a try

But it had better be as marvellous as the title suggests

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I don't want to oversell you, because I've had a lot of things ruined for me because of that, but it's really good. You have to like it's style of course but it's a pretty likable style.

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    According to my mom, the best part of the show is the clothes.

I prefer the comedy. But I can see that the clothes are pretty good.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

Just don't give up on it until after watching the first episode in full. My beloved spouse and I damn near dropped it half way through episode 1 and that would have been a real shame.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Maisel S3 was pretty solid. It felt like the 8 episode season ended a little abruptly, but they really packed some great stuff in this season, including some awesome choreography. The direction this year was just beautiful. This is one of the best designed shows on the air right now. They also did a really good job purposefully introducing non-white characters that didn't feel like woke band-aids (Mei Lin in particular killed it - that actor has some serious comic timing).

• Options
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Just don't give up on it until after watching the first episode in full. My beloved spouse and I damn near dropped it half way through episode 1 and that would have been a real shame.

No worries about that

Loved the pilot, bumping it to my commuting show

Prime time, baby

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Is this the right place to complain about YouTube ads? Because my god, sometimes they pop up and their 15 minutes long, or longer! And they usually pop up at an awkward time in the video or even multiple times a video. I swear they're preying on people who fall asleep to it. 15 minutes isn't an ad, it's it's own fucking video.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Is this the right place to complain about YouTube ads? Because my god, sometimes they pop up and their 15 minutes long, or longer! And they usually pop up at an awkward time in the video or even multiple times a video. I swear they're preying on people who fall asleep to it. 15 minutes isn't an ad, it's it's own fucking video.

On my Apple TV youtube ap about three months ago I was watching a RLM or longform Linus Tech Tips video to nap to, and woke up to find I had only missed like 10 minutes of actual content because there was a 25-30 minute "ad" that was some kind of lighting tutorial or something that was tangentially related to construction I guess based on the limited view data they had. I miss the simplicity of the three minute zuchini pasta recipe ads.

I skip ads when they pop up on the Apple TV only for the fear of it being one of these super long fake ads. Limit it to a trailer length and I'd actually let it run to give some ad buckos to the creators.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    I'm finding it hard to listen to music on youtube these days because of postroll ads. A song has just ended and I already turned off autoplay for the millionth time (fucking stop turning it back on please, i'll click on a video when i want to watch it thanks), and I want to relax in silence for a bit and think about what I just listened to when GRAMMARLY SHEN YUN ST JUDE or whatever starts playing after the video.

I mean who even watches postroll ads?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Look into getting a pi-hole installed on your home network: https://pi-hole.net/ I have a raspberry pi with it installed and it gives me network-wide ad blocking, even on phones. It's not 100% perfect, but it does block a lot of heinous ads.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I don't know if it was my television or just the Hulu app, but I was trying to watch a show the other day and the fucking thing kept crashing right after the first ad break and restarting at the beginning of a 5-minute commercial-a-thon. I must've sat through the same six ads like 4 times trying to get the show to play.

It would play ads just fucking fine, but the actual content I've subscribed for? Not so much.

Also this new trend of YouTube playing ads at the very end of a video is so much more annoying than playing them at the start or even in the middle. I think they're counting on you to not be engaged enough at that point to skip the thing before they've delivered the spiel.

I know more research goes into advertising than into curing all the world's diseases combined, but it boggles my mind that they'd think sneaking their ads in on me where they're most obtrusive or annoying would make me remember them favorably. I had to watch a 3-minute-long commercial the other day that never even told me what it was fucking for until the last two seconds.

God I hate ads. Especially ads that pretend to not be ads.

RT800 on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ya I had to stop watching a Youtuber recently when on phone, because, my god.

Like I'm sure it's great for him, cashing in hard it seems, but my god, his 15 min videos now have 3 ad breaks, a live ad read and before/after ads.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Just finished episode 4 of The Marvellous Mrs Maisel

I love the entire cast, especially Alex Borstein - for 20 years I've just thought of her as Lois Griffin, but now I want her to begrudgingly take me round comedy clubs and be awkward to important people with me

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Just finished episode 4 of The Marvellous Mrs Maisel

I love the entire cast, especially Alex Borstein - for 20 years I've just thought of her as Lois Griffin, but now I want her to begrudgingly take me round comedy clubs and be awkward to important people with me

They had Alex Borstein on NPR the other day talking about her career.

She was being her own agent for many years, because no agents would sign her. MAD TV was so poorly regarded in "serious" acting circles they thought there was no way she was good at anything.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Tony Shalhoub is the real star of Marvelous Mrs Maisel and no one will convince me otherwise.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    So season 3 of Maisel is good? I was extremely down on the last 5 minutes of the 2nd season. Do they manage to artfully undo some of that fuckup?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Okay, everybody talking about it finally got me to watch the first episode

Not gonna lie, I was wondering what all the fuss was about until halfway through, then it was just pure magic

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Okay, everybody talking about it finally got me to watch the first episode

Not gonna lie, I was wondering what all the fuss was about until halfway through, then it was just pure magic

I started it up last night for the first time as well. I've not always fully agreed with some of the views on shows, but this one has me wanting to binge it all. Luckily I have a things to do so it's nice when I do get a chance to relax, I know I have a good show to watch.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    DC uploaded the first episode of Harley Quinn to Youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap1vdCpxukU

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Harley Quinn looks pretty good, but I don't think it's enough to make me want to subscribe to yet another streaming service.

I already own Justice League Unlimited on DVD and have seen most of the DC animated movies. Other than that it looks like real slim pickin's at DC.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Lake Bell (Ivy) is very, very funny in that pilot. Cuoco is surprisingly good but needs to stop trying to be Arleen Sorkin randomly.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    So weird that they decided to go with the iconic Arleen Sorkin Harley design initially. It's a nice nod but so jarring next to that Joker redesign, especially without Arleen's voice.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Harley Quinn looks pretty good, but I don't think it's enough to make me want to subscribe to yet another streaming service.

I already own Justice League Unlimited on DVD and have seen most of the DC animated movies. Other than that it looks like real slim pickin's at DC.

Titans is okay overall; the first season was much better than the second. Swamp Thing is pretty good, as is the DCU-only season of Young Justice. Doom Patrol is great. I wasn't aware prior to subscribing but you also get access to a bunch of digital versions of DC comics. One of these days I'm going to get around to reading the Metal arc.

But I think there were also rumors up-thread about DCU maybe ceasing to exist after this year and their catalog going to one of the other ones?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

Titans is okay overall; the first season was much better than the second. Swamp Thing is pretty good, as is the DCU-only season of Young Justice. Doom Patrol is great. I wasn't aware prior to subscribing but you also get access to a bunch of digital versions of DC comics. One of these days I'm going to get around to reading the Metal arc.

But I think there were also rumors up-thread about DCU maybe ceasing to exist after this year and their catalog going to one of the other ones?

Would be weird for Disney to bid for it.

• Options
    Lake Bell (Ivy) is very, very funny in that pilot. Cuoco is surprisingly good but needs to stop trying to be Arleen Sorkin randomly.

I read it as not being random at all though.

Her Arleen Sorkin voice is always her breaking down back into character as a Joker accessory. It's not meant to be her real accent.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

Would be weird for Disney to bid for it.

DCU content wouldn't be going on the block, it would just be folded into HBO Max in all likelihood.

• Options
    Maisel season 2 is now downloaded onto my phone, but I'm a bit annoyed that Prime has a slightly spoilery description of the season, referring to events in season 1 I'm only just getting to

That's what comes from me downloading stuff in advance, but I've been inhaling this show

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I do like Harley for having huge uber bully Bane be basically the picked on kid.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    So season 3 of Maisel is good? I was extremely down on the last 5 minutes of the 2nd season. Do they manage to artfully undo some of that fuckup?

It's good! I put my thoughts further up the thread, but they did a nice job jumping right into the next storyline for both Midge and Joel (and personally I think they did a much better job fleshing Joel out and giving him something to do that was fun). Her parents are arguably less utilized than in previous seasons, but still excellent. The new characters are also excellent (except Shy who takes a backseat to Sterling Brown - but who doesn't take a backseat to that dude).

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Clayface is a delight in the newest Harley ep too.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Mrs. Maisel is pretty good, but the mom and dad are far and away the best part of the show. They need their own episode every season.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Netflix doesn't have Escape from New York on their DVD queue. What the hell!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I can't find that movie anywhere and it's driving me nuts.

• Options
    InqInq Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

It's on Amazon Prime.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Inq wrote: »

It's on Amazon Prime.

Not up here it ain't.

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular

Criterion Channel

This discussion has been closed.