As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The good, the bad and [The Mandalorian] OPEN SPOILERS

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Makes me wonder how much a lightsaber would be worth if the Mando did happen to stumble across one. Dude is a bounty hunter, so I imagine he would sell it or trade it for more beskar. (or a jetpack)

Probably like baseball cards or beanie babies, if you find someone who really wants one you can make some good money on it, but you have to find someone that wants one and is willing to pay for one.

Like in the shows timeline I'm sure Luke would love any lightsaber you brought him, but I doubt he'd be super willing to pay for them.

Also, like baseball cards, their individual custom build means I imagine provenance would be most of the value. Like, "a lightsaber," is worth a mortgage payment if you find the right buyer, but, "The original lightsaber wielded by both Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader," is worth scouring the bowels of a flying city for years to find because that same buyer would just give you his fabulous manor house.

It doesn't seem unreasonable that trying to sell one would attract a lot of attention, some of it the wrong kind. It's kind of like finding yourself with a Stradivarius or lost renaissance painting. Sure, it's worth millions, but because it's almost certainly stolen a lot of them end up being destroyed or ditched because they're impossible to sell without bringing either a thousand police departments or organized crime to your door to claim it.

Now I’m curious, how big of a Celebrity would Luke Skywalker be during this time?

This is at least after Endor. He's the guy who blew up the first Death Star. Also the guy who went into a room with two Dark Lords and walked out with one corpse, though that might not fall into the publicly known events around Endor and the heroes of the fleet battle likely get a lot more sung praise.

Did the EU (or any current cannon) ever explain how well known the events from the films and the characters are to ordinary citizens of the empire?

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I mean in my opinion the reason you only see force users walking around with lightsabers is that a blaster is a much better choice for everybody else.

Average Joe isn't going to have the force helping his reflexes or whatever it is that allows jedi to parry blaster bolts. Dude is just going to get shot to shit before he even gets close enough to hit somebody with his laser sword. Plus he doesn't have all those force speed and force jumps making him extra mobile so it would take him even longer to get to melee range.

Why would you use a lightsaber in that case when you can just get a gun and shoot them?

Light sabers biggest utility is in the hands of a force wielder you can negate blaster fire and even turn it against the shooters. Without that ability it really has little more utility over a vibro weapon that is a lot easier to obtain or just get a blaster and shoot them.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Makes me wonder how much a lightsaber would be worth if the Mando did happen to stumble across one. Dude is a bounty hunter, so I imagine he would sell it or trade it for more beskar. (or a jetpack)

Probably like baseball cards or beanie babies, if you find someone who really wants one you can make some good money on it, but you have to find someone that wants one and is willing to pay for one.

Like in the shows timeline I'm sure Luke would love any lightsaber you brought him, but I doubt he'd be super willing to pay for them.

Also, like baseball cards, their individual custom build means I imagine provenance would be most of the value. Like, "a lightsaber," is worth a mortgage payment if you find the right buyer, but, "The original lightsaber wielded by both Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader," is worth scouring the bowels of a flying city for years to find because that same buyer would just give you his fabulous manor house.

It doesn't seem unreasonable that trying to sell one would attract a lot of attention, some of it the wrong kind. It's kind of like finding yourself with a Stradivarius or lost renaissance painting. Sure, it's worth millions, but because it's almost certainly stolen a lot of them end up being destroyed or ditched because they're impossible to sell without bringing either a thousand police departments or organized crime to your door to claim it.

Now I’m curious, how big of a Celebrity would Luke Skywalker be during this time?

This is at least after Endor. He's the guy who blew up the first Death Star. Also the guy who went into a room with two Dark Lords and walked out with one corpse, though that might not fall into the publicly known events around Endor and the heroes of the fleet battle likely get a lot more sung praise.

Also Luke probably wasn't the type to go on the local evening news and do a force amplified vaudeville routine (nor were the Old Republic Jedi... or Vader).

It's not likely that the Jedi Academy had a PR office or admissions/scouting department. Luke seemed like he was going for the rustic backwater vibe that worked so well for him (also in opposition to the original academy being one of the most visible buildings on the most visible planet in the Galaxy)

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Again, the Mandalorian that we see in this show is clearly one of the best in his neck of the woods. He wasn't weirded out by being offered a bounty that sent him to the core, which tells me he's really traveled around. And despite all his travels and hunting even he didn't know what the force was when it happened right in front of him.

I'm guessing Luke and Jedi/Sith aren't well known in the galaxy at this point.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Did the EU (or any current cannon) ever explain how well known the events from the films and the characters are to ordinary citizens of the empire?

Not those of the empire, but the Republic has been referenced. The last two movies have pretty much confirmed that the heroes of the Rebellion became the legends of the New Republic, with Luke seeming to be the most blatantly propagandized version.

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Again, the Mandalorian that we see in this show is clearly one of the best in his neck of the woods. He wasn't weirded out by being offered a bounty that sent him to the core, which tells me he's really traveled around. And despite all his travels and hunting even he didn't know what the force was when it happened right in front of him.

True, but he also obviously knows the Empire fell and the New Republic is being established.

What would he (or the people around him) know about how and why that’s happening?

• Options
    edited December 2019

True, but he also obviously knows the Empire fell and the New Republic is being established.

What would he (or the people around him) know about how and why that’s happening?

From the comments we've heard in the show, it sounds like they just know the Empire is out of power and on the decline and the New Republic can't be relied on either.

I would think that if stories of Luke had actually gotten around, then the Force would more widely be known. Or at least rumors of it.

The Mandalorian seemed completely lost when he saw it happen right in front of him. You'd think if had heard rumors of Luke he would be able to put the pieces together.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I mean we know in new hope that a well traveled spacer like Han Solo thinks of the force as bullshit and legends. I imagine even with Luke taking on the empire most people on the ground just heard the rebellion defeated the empire, not specific people involved.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

Eh considering how most people dismiss even Vader as dead religion wizard mumbo jumbo I'm guessing the larger message is that the rebellion won and little mention of the familial scuffle that happened inside the exploding space station.

Luke is probably not all that well known even in the rebellion except as Leia and Hans we're friend/brother that also killed the first death star way back when.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I was hoping arc trooper would join mando and boda for galactic hijinks. Or maybe Gina Carano just needs her own show. Either way, one episode is not enough!

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    I was hoping arc trooper would join mando and boda for galactic hijinks. Or maybe Gina Carano just needs her own show. Either way, one episode is not enough!

I doubt (hope) they didn't just cast her for a single episode

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

From the comments we've heard in the show, it sounds like they just know the Empire is out of power and on the decline and the New Republic can't be relied on either.

I would think that if stories of Luke had actually gotten around, then the Force would more widely be known. Or at least rumors of it.

As I remember, the story is flipped where Vader was fighting evil forces and the emperor dies trying to save the empire. They are both revered on corisuant with statues of them and a museum. Of course this lasts until the rebelion takes over.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019

I know it came up briefly in the X-Wing books. A handful of fighter pilots (Luke Skywalker, Wedge Antilles) and other miscellaneous heros are famous and have been dragged into doing PR tours, but the galaxy is a big place and there's lots of systems where Old Republic vs Empire vs New Republic had absolutely zero effect on day-to-day life.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    In the original Thrawn trilogy, it was still pretty much unknown to anyone outside of the main three that Luke and Leia were Vader's kids. Even Mara Jade didn't know until Luke told her, and she was sent by the Emperor to kill him at Jabba's palace.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Is Ilum the only known source of kyber crystals? That would be a limit on them right away.

Fallen Order
    Especially since Fallen Order more or less confirms the fan theory that it was turned into Starkiller Base, which might make lightsabers increasingly rare.

Also, it's entirely possible that to find and install a pure enough crystal correctly for a stable lightsaber takes force mojo, even if swinging a lightsaber around doesn't.

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Kamar wrote: »
    Is Ilum the only known source of kyber crystals? That would be a limit on them right away.

Fallen Order
    Especially since Fallen Order more or less confirms the fan theory that it was turned into Starkiller Base, which might make lightsabers increasingly rare.

Also, it's entirely possible that to find and install a pure enough crystal correctly for a stable lightsaber takes force mojo, even if swinging a lightsaber around doesn't.

Rogue One had Jedha as a source of kyber. I'd assume there are more, most of them likely previously known to the Jedi Order

ObiFett on
  • Options
    All that said, I don't care how rare they are and how much people want lightsaber-free stories.

I will be so excited if a surviving Inquisitor is behind the scenes and the Mando has to deal with a low tier Force user.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Hell, even in the Prequels, how many people had seen a Jedi in action? Even if there were 10,000 of them, that's got to be nothing compared to the Galaxy. Especially since you only see maybe a hundred on screen in the big fight on Genosis. I'd expect Jedi to be on the level of legend even in their prime for of the people in the Galaxy.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I mean in my opinion the reason you only see force users walking around with lightsabers is that a blaster is a much better choice for everybody else.

Average Joe isn't going to have the force helping his reflexes or whatever it is that allows jedi to parry blaster bolts. Dude is just going to get shot to shit before he even gets close enough to hit somebody with his laser sword. Plus he doesn't have all those force speed and force jumps making him extra mobile so it would take him even longer to get to melee range.

Why would you use a lightsaber in that case when you can just get a gun and shoot them?

Rebels addresses this and has the trainee build a lightsaber that has a stun blaster built in. When his master sees him use it, he jealously comments "mine doesn't do that". There seems to be zero downsides to the stun part, and it even gives the user a less-lethal option for combat than a stick of burning star plasma.

There doesn't seem to be any reason at all for a lightsaber to not also be a blaster of some kind, it probably just boils down to the individual Jedi. Though it's pretty obvious that a Jedi with a blaster could get a lot more done a lot faster than with a lightsaber.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Hell, even in the Prequels, how many people had seen a Jedi in action? Even if there were 10,000 of them, that's got to be nothing compared to the Galaxy. Especially since you only see maybe a hundred on screen in the big fight on Genosis. I'd expect Jedi to be on the level of legend even in their prime for of the people in the Galaxy.

this really only works with an idea of the future from the 70s/80s, where even then the concept of instant communication/replication wasn't really understood. There would be video of everything, all the time. People would have seen it.

Not to mention the fact that the republic is literally thousands of years old, which is a length of time that's a flaw in almost every fantasy world. Thousands of years and the main defenders/leaders of the galactic government are seen as a legend? That doesn't even make sense.

Like, it's Star Wars, it doesn't have to make sense. But the more the stories include jedi, but still try to make them some unknown entity, the sillier it gets. It can't be both. They're either almost non-existent and super secretive and also it's been decades since anyone has even seen or heard from one, or they're basically a government entity and super public and there's a ton of them until they're publicly executed.

at the end of the day, the prequels and the associated stories from that timeframe sets up an impossible scenario that will never be rectified with the later period movies. Most of the media that's being created is just ignoring the original trilogy's take on jedi, so they can make more media where there's a new set of force users who are inexplicably not around when a new hope happens.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Rebels addresses this and has the trainee build a lightsaber that has a stun blaster built in. When his master sees him use it, he jealously comments "mine doesn't do that". There seems to be zero downsides to the stun part, and it even gives the user a less-lethal option for combat than a stick of burning star plasma.

There doesn't seem to be any reason at all for a lightsaber to not also be a blaster of some kind, it probably just boils down to the individual Jedi. Though it's pretty obvious that a Jedi with a blaster could get a lot more done a lot faster than with a lightsaber.

Already done.

302?cb=20130114182618

This was my last trip into nostalgia. I remember loving this cartoon (Ulysses 31) as a kid. The episode with Sisyphus is one that's stuck with me for near 40 years. And I made the mistake of getting hold of the series a while back, and phew, does it fucking suck. The theme song is ear torture.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

If nothing else, she's already been filming season 2, so she'll definitely be back at some point.

But just with the way they said goodbye, I'd be really surprised if she isn't back at some point this season.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Just from promotional materials I'd be really surprised if we didn't end up with a "rambunctious crew of characters" by the end of this season.

I like to ART
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    The way Luke talked in the last movie, it sounded like he had gained a huge reputation that went to his head. But then, Luke would've mostly hung out with people who knew who Luke Skywalker was.

• Options
    For a random data point, in Resistance the main character in a recent episode seemed to know what Jedi and Sith are but not really believe in the Force despite that.

Though maybe it was all explained to him in an earlier episode when the Force and Knights of Ren came up and I forgot?

It probably doesn't help that, for whatever reason, the Star Wars galaxy has really crappy video technology.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Just from promotional materials I'd be really surprised if we didn't end up with a "rambunctious crew of characters" by the end of this season.

So we're doing Outlaw Josie Wales, among other things. I'm completely down for that.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    For a random data point, in Resistance the main character in a recent episode seemed to know what Jedi and Sith are but not really believe in the Force despite that.

Though maybe it was all explained to him in an earlier episode when the Force and Knights of Ren came up and I forgot?

It probably doesn't help that, for whatever reason, the Star Wars galaxy has really crappy video technology.

When you're filming, compressing and transmitting 3d holograms over hundreds of light years of empty space, some artifacting should be expected.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    I kinda want to watch The Mandalorian since I have HBO but I have this great fear it is going to be a 90s TV framework where every week The Mandalorian saves the vanillagers from the mustache twirling anti vanillagers. I'll admit I like that in many cases (well not many cases but Burn Notice worked) but please not Star Wars.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I kinda want to watch The Mandalorian since I have HBO but I have this great fear it is going to be a 90s TV framework where every week The Mandalorian saves the vanillagers from the mustache twirling anti vanillagers. I'll admit I like that in many cases (well not many cases but Burn Notice worked) but please not Star Wars.

This has been the storyline of one of four episodes, where they were specifically doing Seven (two?) Samurai.

Let’s give it some time before we start with the doom and gloom.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »

So we're doing Outlaw Josie Wales, among other things. I'm completely down for that.

Outlaw Josey Wales was episode 3. Episode 4 was Magnificent Seven. It's been pretty interesting.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Ep 5 is aliiiive!

I figured newbie was gonna do something dumb. Points for a decent ambush plan, but oh dear, really man?

What's the bet Fennec is still alive given that final shot?

Also PIT DROIDS

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Didn't really feel this episode. The opening scene felt very low budget, and it didn't feel like the main plot really told us anything interesting about Mando or the baby. Oh I guess he has to be extra careful now that he's hunted by the guild. Okay, but didn't we already establish that in the previous episode?

Also, it's kind of strange that they go to that planet and don't even reference the obvious. Unless if it was somewhere in the background and I just missed it.

• Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    I loved the opening because Boba Fett used the same trick against an IG-88 in one of the Legends-continuity books

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Filioni was the one who wrote and directed this episode. I'm guessing he just said screw it and tossed in all the references.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Didn't Finn and Rey know who Han Solo was and what the Force was in TFA? Or was that just Finn, because he was a Storm Trooper on Kylo's personal detail who are hunting Luke? If Rey knew the story as an orphan on a desert planet, then it's safe to say most people have heard of the OT gang's exploits.

• Options
    Smurph wrote: »
    Didn't Finn and Rey know who Han Solo was and what the Force was in TFA? Or was that just Finn, because he was a Storm Trooper on Kylo's personal detail who are hunting Luke? If Rey knew the story as an orphan on a desert planet, then it's safe to say most people have heard of the OT gang's exploits.

Rey specifically knew him as a famous smuggler, and Finn knew him as a rebellion general. Which tracks for him and is revealing of the larger world for her.

I like to ART
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I definitely rolled my eyes when they revealed he was landing on Tatooine. But once they got on the planet, I was pleasantly surprised. Everything was different. The place felt almost deserted. There are those storm trooper helmets on spikes. There was no music and barely anyone at the bar. The "no droids" bartender was replaced by droids. The Tuskens aren't nearly as hostile. Clearly something big went down. Maybe the Empire purged the planet, maybe the death of Jabba resulted in some kind of war between the criminal factions or forced everyone to flee the planet.

She's definitely going to show up again since there are trailer scenes with her that were not in the episode. In the trailer, they show her using the laser minigun.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I definitely rolled my eyes when they revealed he was landing on Tatooine. But once they got on the planet, I was pleasantly surprised. Everything was different. The place felt almost deserted. There are those storm trooper helmets on spikes. There was no music and barely anyone at the bar. The "no droids" bartender was replaced by droids. The Tuskens aren't nearly as hostile. Clearly something big went down. Maybe the Empire purged the planet, maybe the death of Jabba resulted in some kind of war between the criminal factions or forced everyone to flee the planet.

She's definitely going to show up again since there are trailer scenes with her that were not in the episode. In the trailer, they show her using the laser minigun.

Yeah, her Instagram makes it seems like she will be on the show long term.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Yeah, her Instagram makes it seems like she will be on the show long term.

Boda needs a mama.

And one who can kick the shit out of dada.

Cause seriously, if he didn't have the beskar, she would have wrecked him in their first encounter.

This discussion has been closed.