As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The good, the bad and [The Mandalorian] OPEN SPOILERS

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    cursedking wrote: »
    the thing that they've set up though is like, can you imagine if in episode 7 or 8 someone ignites a lightsaber??? just like oh fuck oh shit

"Any advice for new Marines headed into combat?"

"Yeah, if you see a guy with a sword, take them out first."

"Ah - because their officers?"

"No, because they're charging at you with a fucking sword! You ever seen anyone cut in half by a fucking sword before?"

--Cryptonomicon, Neal Stephenson

Monwyn on
    uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I could see a Mando pulling out a lightsaber because he happened to find a working one and they're just good weapons, but you can feel the other Mandos rolling their eyes under their helmets because the guy just will not shut up about how great lightsabers are and how much vibroblades suck in comparison.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Listen I'm not going to say that there is a version of red harvest/ 7 samurai/ first full of dollars that i dont enjoy.
    But i have yet to find it
    You brought this on yourself.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQASnIbXQQw

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Depending on how much EU stuff they keep, the Mandos would've had the same thing happen to them at the hands of the Jedi back in the day, so they would have an idea of how to survive this kind of thing.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »
    Listen I'm not going to say that there is a version of red harvest/ 7 samurai/ first full of dollars that i dont enjoy.

Is Optimus Prime the big voice guy? And a chick with 4 tits? I'm in when it's 1 tit, that's 3 extra tits! What's the problem?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »

Is Optimus Prime the big voice guy? And a chick with 4 tits? I'm in when it's 1 tit, that's 3 extra tits! What's the problem?

Oh sweet merciful cheese and crackers, this movie had not one, but two sequels. And I've seen both of them thanks to MST3K. And they're both so terrible that you would not even know that there was supposedly a preceding film each time.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Given that the tech clearly exists, I'm surprised more people don't carry smaller lightsabers. Like, lightknives. Not necessarily for combat (way too easy to cut something off you didn't mean to), but there's a lot of utility to something that can cut through almost anything with little resistance.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    The tech exists but only for a very small number of people who don't share it.
    Also keep in mind lightsabers aren't mono-whips. There is very much problems with cutting things with a lightsaber wrt making all the things melt and/or burn.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    They are priceless. If you are trying to support your extended family by bounty hunting, carrying around a goddamn fortune that can easily get lost in a couch cushion is a bad business decision.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    vibroblades have the advantage of having weight and only cut on the edge of the blade, so you're not going to kill yourself as easily as a non force trained person

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Kyber crystals are not easy to come by either. Especially post being used in the death star.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    One of the reasons I like TFA so much, though, is that it does have someone who isn't really a jedi pick up a lightsaber and use it cause like...why not

I mean, it doesn't go well, it plays out how you would expect that to go, but it's not like Finn immediately just starts cutting his own appendages off. He just loses.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    cursedking wrote: »
    One of the reasons I like TFA so much, though, is that it does have someone who isn't really a jedi pick up a lightsaber and use it cause like...why not

I mean, it doesn't go well, it plays out how you would expect that to go, but it's not like Finn immediately just starts cutting his own appendages off. He just loses.

Did you forget about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F9xBCkLGF8

Which I always liked too and got annoyed with the old EU when they tried to rationalize that only force users could use lightsabers because of the gyroscoptic forces the blade puts out and that requires the force to stabilize or some nonsense

ObiFett on
  • Options
    I preferred the explanation that force users are just better at using a lightsaber due to their reflexes and the fact most other people using a light saber will also use the force and thus be able to throw your ass around if you can't counter that.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I preferred the explanation that force users are just better at using a lightsaber due to their reflexes and the fact most other people using a light saber will also use the force and thus be able to throw your ass around if you can't counter that.

Me too.

This nonsense existed in the old EU, though, and its one of the few things I got actually annoyed with the old EU about:
    Due to the weightlessness of plasma and the strong gyroscopic effect generated by it, lightsabers required a great deal of strength and dexterity to wield, and it was extremely difficult—and dangerous—for the untrained to attempt using. However, in the hands of an expert of the Force, the lightsaber was a weapon to be greatly respected and feared. To wield a lightsaber was to demonstrate incredible skill and confidence, as well as masterful dexterity and attunement to the Force.

that always really annoyed me

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

Me too.

This nonsense existed in the old EU, though, and its one of the few things I got actually annoyed with the old EU about:
    Due to the weightlessness of plasma and the strong gyroscopic effect generated by it, lightsabers required a great deal of strength and dexterity to wield, and it was extremely difficult—and dangerous—for the untrained to attempt using. However, in the hands of an expert of the Force, the lightsaber was a weapon to be greatly respected and feared. To wield a lightsaber was to demonstrate incredible skill and confidence, as well as masterful dexterity and attunement to the Force.

that always really annoyed me

Yeah that's just dumb. Like in 4 Obiwan says nothing of the sort there. I mean when he's training Luke on the use of a lightsaber Luke hasn't even shown any propensity for using the force.

The only reason it seems people don't use them cannonically is they are rare, previously jedi basically controlled where you'd get the means to make one, and when the empire was in power simply owning one would get your ass murdered.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Makes me wonder how much a lightsaber would be worth if the Mando did happen to stumble across one. Dude is a bounty hunter, so I imagine he would sell it or trade it for more beskar. (or a jetpack)

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Makes me wonder how much a lightsaber would be worth if the Mando did happen to stumble across one. Dude is a bounty hunter, so I imagine he would sell it or trade it for more beskar. (or a jetpack)

Probably like baseball cards or beanie babies, if you find someone who really wants one you can make some good money on it, but you have to find someone that wants one and is willing to pay for one.

Like in the shows timeline I'm sure Luke would love any lightsaber you brought him, but I doubt he'd be super willing to pay for them.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    The role playing game allowed a non force user to fight with a lightsaber. Force users could spec into it and would get bonuses etc and would probably wipe the floor with any non force users in combat though.
    users

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Lightsabers being priceless is kinda undercut by almost every character who even thinks about using the force in any Star Wars media managing to acquire or build one, sometimes multiple.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I mean in my opinion the reason you only see force users walking around with lightsabers is that a blaster is a much better choice for everybody else.

Average Joe isn't going to have the force helping his reflexes or whatever it is that allows jedi to parry blaster bolts. Dude is just going to get shot to shit before he even gets close enough to hit somebody with his laser sword. Plus he doesn't have all those force speed and force jumps making him extra mobile so it would take him even longer to get to melee range.

Why would you use a lightsaber in that case when you can just get a gun and shoot them?

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Because we follow like the 1% of the universe. Just like everyone has access to starships/fighters, but we know the majority of the populace does not.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Smurph wrote: »
    Lightsabers being priceless is kinda undercut by almost every character who even thinks about using the force in any Star Wars media managing to acquire or build one, sometimes multiple.

In the PT, lightsabers were probably more common, yeah. But by the time the OT rolls around, we've had all the Jedi wiped out and most of the Kyber crystal piles used up or destroyed.

So if we are talking about OT/ST, Force users are able to make lightsabers because the force guides them to the crystals. Normal dudes don't have the force to help them find the crystals. And that makes lightsabers pretty priceless at this point.

• Options

Probably like baseball cards or beanie babies, if you find someone who really wants one you can make some good money on it, but you have to find someone that wants one and is willing to pay for one.

Like in the shows timeline I'm sure Luke would love any lightsaber you brought him, but I doubt he'd be super willing to pay for them.

Wouldn't the kyber crystal be worth a nice chunk of money, post death star? I mean, how many crystals got blowed up on both of those moon sized monstrosities?

• Options

Wouldn't the kyber crystal be worth a nice chunk of money, post death star? I mean, how many crystals got blowed up on both of those moon sized monstrosities?

To certain people sure, but again its not like you can pop into a space pawn shop and sell it to anyone. You have to find someone who wants one for a very specific purpose and even post ROTJ there weren't that many people who would.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I would say you could sell it to the new up and coming space nazi group, but they'd probably just kill you for it. Fuck it, if Mando finds one he needs to hang onto it and give it to Boda as a birthday present.

• Options

We've learned through Rogue One and now Fallen Order that the Empire was actively strip mining multiple kyber crystal locations. And considering Palpatine had access to the Jedi Archives, I'd imagine that meant they were mining all of the known ones.

So the vast majority of the crystals got blowed up.

• Options
    I would say you could sell it to the new up and coming space nazi group, but they'd probably just kill you for it. Fuck it, if Mando finds one he needs to hang onto it and give it to Boda as a birthday present.

yeah that's another issue, jedi would want you to donate a lost saber because they are protectors and why would they pay for something probably stolen or taken from possibly a dead comrade, and the empire/new order would just kill you straight out, why pay when they can take?

You'd need to find like a Hutt who loves collecting Jedi shit but is also more honorable than any other hut.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hutts seem to respect good business, and good business is where you find it. A Hutt collector would probably be a safe bet since they would want you to bring any other rare collectibles you might one day find to them first.

• Options
    Hutts seem to respect good business, and good business is where you find it. A Hutt collector would probably be a safe bet since they would want you to bring any other rare collectibles you might one day find to them first.

I'm just saying I'd meet with them in a neutral location, like you may think you're Dr. Jones, but they may think of you as "dumb ass who found one thing I want and there is a nearby sarlacc pit..."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure Mando would be able to find somebody to fence a lightsaber. There's bound to be eclectic rich collector types who would love one to show off over dinner.

• Options
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Pretty sure Mando would be able to find somebody to fence a lightsaber. There's bound to be eclectic rich collector types who would love one to show off over dinner.

No, no, no. Boda needs a lightsaber.

I have spoken.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

Also, like baseball cards, their individual custom build means I imagine provenance would be most of the value. Like, "a lightsaber," is worth a mortgage payment if you find the right buyer, but, "The original lightsaber wielded by both Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader," is worth scouring the bowels of a flying city for years to find because that same buyer would just give you his fabulous manor house.

It doesn't seem unreasonable that trying to sell one would attract a lot of attention, some of it the wrong kind. It's kind of like finding yourself with a Stradivarius or lost renaissance painting. Sure, it's worth millions, but because it's almost certainly stolen a lot of them end up being destroyed or ditched because they're impossible to sell without bringing either a thousand police departments or organized crime to your door to claim it.

Hevach on
  • Options
    mRahmani wrote: »

No, no, no. Boda needs a lightsaber.

I have spoken.

A little tiny cute one. The hilt needs to be plasteel with big colorful buttons in primary colors and shapes. And when he swings it around it makes sounds like "The tauntaun goes waararararaa"

• Options
    Did Palpatine keep Yoda's saber as a trophy? Like its mounted on a nice wood rack with a gold inscription of the date when he defeated Yoda in honorable one on one force combat.

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Also, like baseball cards, their individual custom build means I imagine provenance would be most of the value. Like, "a lightsaber," is worth a mortgage payment if you find the right buyer, but, "The original lightsaber wielded by both Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader," is worth scouring the bowels of a flying city for years to find because that same buyer would just give you his fabulous manor house.

It doesn't seem unreasonable that trying to sell one would attract a lot of attention, some of it the wrong kind. It's kind of like finding yourself with a Stradivarius or lost renaissance painting. Sure, it's worth millions, but because it's almost certainly stolen a lot of them end up being destroyed or ditched because they're impossible to sell without bringing either a thousand police departments or organized crime to your door to claim it.

Now I’m curious, how big of a Celebrity would Luke Skywalker be during this time?

• Options
    edited December 2019

Now I’m curious, how big of a Celebrity would Luke Skywalker be during this time?

Based on this show, even the Mandalorian seems confused by the force and doesn't know what it is when he sees it. So I'm not even sure Luke is even known to the general population of the galaxy.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

This is at least after Endor. He's the guy who blew up the first Death Star. Also the guy who went into a room with two Dark Lords and walked out with one corpse, though that might not fall into the publicly known events around Endor and the heroes of the fleet battle likely get a lot more sung praise.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Did Palpatine keep Yoda's saber as a trophy? Like its mounted on a nice wood rack with a gold inscription of the date when he defeated Yoda in honorable one on one force combat.

If I was him, I would. Maybe not on display for various dignitaries to see...but like, in a shoebox in the closet beside pics if your first girlfriend and your letterman jacket that you pull out every once in a while to remind yourself how awesome you once were.

This discussion has been closed.