As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Gov. DeSantis Has Criminal Disregard For Florida Sports Fans

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I watched a chunk of the seattle game because I dunno, mild self loathing I guess

it was bad football, but bad in a fun way; like a back and forth college game that turns on a bunch of dumb plays

the production is pretty interesting; ESPN obviously feel the freedom to do stuff with these broadcasts that they can't or won't with pro/major college football and it's neat, if only for the temporary novelty

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Having caught a bit of XFL stuff over the weekend, it seems ... not awful? Obviously not at an NFL level, but there were actually some interesting plays here and there, and the teams seemed somewhat evenly matched.
    Their kickoff rules are actually kind of interesting. It's surprisingly safer than the NFL, since teams don't act until the ball is caught, meaning you don't have players slamming into each other on a fair catch or touchback. The out of bounds and short kick rule is silly, but fun for a less serious league (if a kickoff is out of bounds or doesn't make it to your opponent's 20, the other team gets it on your 45).
    Edit: I think I still prefer the AAF's style of replacing the kickoff entirely, but still interesting.

The extra point stuff probably wouldn't work in the NFL as is, but there's at least something interesting there.
    The clock rules in the last two minutes of each half are also kind of interesting. Again, I don't know that I'd want the NFL to follow their lead, but why not try out some new weird stuff with an expendable league like this?

It's definitely not the same XFL we got 20 years ago. This one seems noticeably less stupid.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Yeah I watched maybe an hour or two this weekend and it just seemed like football?

Which was mildly enraging because fuck Vince McMahon.

But I guess at least it's more football?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    If you won't watch MACtion on a Thursday in November, then this isn't footbaw.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Yeah I watched maybe an hour or two this weekend and it just seemed like football?

Which was mildly enraging because fuck Vince McMahon.

But I guess at least it's more football?

There is historically a market for spring football, if it differentiates itself enough from the NFL but remains interesting in its own right. The USFL was doing great enough for the NFL (and Donald Trump) to kill it on purpose.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    I kinda wish the AAF hadn’t been a stupid fail fest so the the bar for the XFL was higher than “it exists”

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Just remember watching that these guys are making the equivalent of like $33k a year to shorten their lifespans and greatly reduced their quality of life

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Noted defensive genius Dom Capers is joining the vikings. Drew Magary is taking it well.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Just remember watching that these guys are making the equivalent of like $33k a year to shorten their lifespans and greatly reduced their quality of life

On one hand, yes, and the league should probably be paying more for the amount of money it's going to make off of them.

On the other hand, there are literally hundreds of amateur men's and women's adult tackle teams across the nation that people pay for, for that "privilege". Unless there's actual legal legislation put forth to ban football, it's not going to stop people from doing it. I mean, shit, I pay $80 every 2.5 months for my various non-contact flag leagues and that's netted me a shattered ankle and multiple head to head hits over the years. And we don't even get pads or helmets!

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

On one hand, yes, and the league should probably be paying more for the amount of money it's going to make off of them.

On the other hand, there are literally hundreds of amateur men's and women's adult tackle teams across the nation that people pay for, for that "privilege". Unless there's actual legal legislation put forth to ban football, it's not going to stop people from doing it. I mean, shit, I pay $80 every 2.5 months for my various non-contact flag leagues and that's netted me a shattered ankle and multiple head to head hits over the years. And we don't even get pads or helmets!

The difference again is that people are making money off these guys hurting themselves to play. Where as you choosing to hurt yourself for your enjoyment is your own kink.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Noted defensive genius Dom Capers is joining the vikings. Drew Magary is taking it well.

Well that certainly makes things easier on the Packers this year.

And the Bears, and the Lions and pretty much everyone who plays the Vikings this year...

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

The difference again is that people are making money off these guys hurting themselves to play. Where as you choosing to hurt yourself for your enjoyment is your own kink.

Also, pay college athletes

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Man, professional gamers are making more than these dudes

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Man, professional gamers are making more than these dudes

Mid-level instagram influencers make more

• Options
    edited February 2020
    First level call center agents

To be fair there are a lot of health hazards for most call center workers too...mental health and being packed so close in cubicles to be ground zero for pandemics

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    maybe laserface will go to the xfl

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

Nah there is no way that Rivers would take that pay cut.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

Nah there is no way that Rivers would take that pay cut.

He's got like 30 kids to feed, after all.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I mean he'd easily replace Boomer on CBS's NFL coverage, no reason to get busted up by hasbeens and wannabes desperately wanting to be something in the XFL.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The XFL does pay QBs

Like $400k

So approximately 1/30th of what veteran backups get

• Options
    I give the XFL champ a 50% chance to beat the Hue Browns and 30% to beat the Freddie Browns, btw

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The DC for LA was fired after one game.

• Options
    Tampa Bay head coach is still employed.
    Generalisimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

• Options
    Myles Garrett reinstated.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

So, is he going to go full Burfict, or is he just going to be relentlessly goaded by opponents with taunts and borderline hits for the rest of his career?

Cause you know it's one or the other. There's almost zero chance that this doesn't follow him.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

So, is he going to go full Burfict, or is he just going to be relentlessly goaded by opponents with taunts and borderline hits for the rest of his career?

Cause you know it's one or the other. There's almost zero chance that this doesn't follow him.

Mason Rudolph will never face consequences.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Mason Rudolph will never face consequences.

Mason Rudolph will also likely never intentionally be on a starting roster again.

Same can't be said for Garrett. He's too good, that short of career-ending injury or something egregious legally (Hernandez), he'll be a starter for at least the next 5+ years.

Not saying he won't get suspended, but Burfict was still able to make a career despite being a serial dickhead, and Josh Gordon has had how many chances? So that won't stop Garrett from having a career as a starter.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Garrett probably never does anything that egregiously stupid again

He might still be the most penalized lineman, but I don’t think he actually wants to be a dirty player, he just had a really undisciplined and dirty year (like everyone on the roster)

FWIW Garrett was previously known for being a quiet turbo-nerd, not a toxic-masculinity-meat-and-shit-head

But yeah dudes are going to try to goad him into shit for at least the next couple years

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    Couple XFL thoughts, and notes if you will.
    1. Salary is garbage, but the winning team of each game is awarded 100k to split among its players.
    2. Quality of play was better the. The Alliance last year and it’s only game one. Still about 4 or 5 out of 10. Was fun enough to watch.
    3. I’m liking almost all the rules changes so far, if you haven’t noticed there is a lot more going for it on 4th down near the 50 for fear of giving the receiving team the ball at the 35.
    4. The lack of flags and transparency of officiating has been nice. No stupid roughing calls or helmet to helmet if it seemed lime the defensive player wasn’t leading with the crown of his helmet etc. quite a few time I saw a hit on a web or player and Automaticly thought it was a penalty because of the NFL rules.
    5. People keep talking about if this league lasts through the year. All info on financials says Vince invested and has gotten enough investments for at least 3 years, with this salary structure.
    6. I think the first think Vince needs todo in the off-season is find some buyers for the existing teams before expanding etc.
    Overall I was entertained for the time the games were on and would give the over all score a 6.5 / 10.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    7. Fire Marc Trestman

According to the ESPN channel that spends more viewing real estate on gambling odds Tampa Bay is viewed as the team with the greatest odds to win their championship.

Tampa Bay only scored a field goal in a league that encourages aggressive playcalling.

• Options
    Also one thing i forgot yo mention is this league is completely embracing sports betting and that’s why they are showing so much info on the line/ over under. Etc

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Today's XFL games:

New York at Washington, 2p EST, ABC

Tampa Bay at Seattle, 5p EST, FOX

The Seattle game is probably the one to watch for two things. One, will Trestman actually take any risks. Two, how empty will CenturyLink Field be? Some of the commentary after last week's games were that some stadiums (particularly Globe Life Park for Dallas) were tremenously empty. Attendance was generally decent for a 'new' league, 17,000+, but some stadiums looked vacant. Basically any team that doesn't play in a soccer stadium is going to be hit by that. Globe Life seats 48,000+ for baseball. Houston plays at the University stadium which seats 40,000. Both upper decks were basically empty.

CenturyLink seats 72,000. Just how enthusiastic will fans be for an average/above-average college game? Well, below average. Marc Trestman.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Today's XFL games:

The Seattle game is probably the one to watch for two things. One, will Trestman actually take any risks. Two, how empty will CenturyLink Field be? Some of the commentary after last week's games were that some stadiums (particularly Globe Life Park for Dallas) were tremenously empty. Attendance was generally decent for a 'new' league, 17,000+, but some stadiums looked vacant. Basically any team that doesn't play in a soccer stadium is going to be hit by that. Globe Life seats 48,000+ for baseball. Houston plays at the University stadium which seats 40,000. Both upper decks were basically empty.

CenturyLink seats 72,000. Just how enthusiastic will fans be for an average/above-average college game? Well, below average. Marc Trestman.

I think for Century Link they’re only using the lower bowl. I don’t know if they’ll tarp the upper deck like they used to in the Kingdome when the Mariners sucked*. I also think they may have done that for some Sounders games? I’m honestly not sure.

*The Mariners still suck.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Matt McGloin sucks.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Today's XFL games:

I think for Century Link they’re only using the lower bowl. I don’t know if they’ll tarp the upper deck like they used to in the Kingdome when the Mariners sucked*. I also think they may have done that for some Sounders games? I’m honestly not sure.

*The Mariners still suck.

Sounders doesnt tarp but also only seats the bottom and front balconies. 40k fans ish/game

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Today's XFL games:

Dallas at Los Angeles, ABC, 3p EST

St Louis at Houston, FS1, 6p EST

• Options
    edited February 2020
    St.louis vs Houston should be the better if the two games today. Though Dallas has its OG starting QB back from injury so that game could go either way. What ever you do bet the under.

Draeven on

• Options
    I don't think oddsmakers have a good grasp on XFL talent.

• Options
    I don't think oddsmakers have a good grasp on XFL talent.
    Think by game 5 or 6 the betting lines will be a touch tighter, and closer to what you would expect.

This discussion has been closed.