Options

[NFL] Thread: Gov. DeSantis Has Criminal Disregard For Florida Sports Fans

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    The Jaguars are just the Bills southern division.

Colorful, STI ridden fans.

A franchise capable of playoff runs but no Super Bowls.

Forever under threat of being moved to a country outside of the US.

One of the more tragic alternate reality realizations is if the NFL let Donald Trump own the Bills.

Imagine a NFL where Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder are not the worst owners.

Jimmy Haslem had to pay a 100 million dollar fee for fraud by his company and runs the fucking Browns, so I think they're already not.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

One of the more tragic alternate reality realizations is if the NFL let Donald Trump own the Bills.

Dean Spanos is worse than Jerry and nearly as vile a shit as Snyder while being at the same absurd level of incompetence

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Jimmy Haslem had to pay a 100 million dollar fee for fraud by his company and runs the fucking Browns, so I think they're already not.

Kraft supports MAGA. Irsay is basically 'intent to distribute' in human skin. The whole league is run by hold-my-beer types but the mobius strip of awful always comes back to Jones and Snyder.

• Options
    Who are the least bad NFL owners (Packers disqualified)

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The failsons/daughters/wives who inherited teams are probably the least bad. And of those it's probably the Rooneys as least objectionable humans/most competent administrators.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Why does Miami, a team that constantly is in the lower half of the NFL, always have one of the toughest schedules? Third toughest schedule this year. This shit is rigged.

Having to play the patriots twice a year would be my guess

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Really the issue is the Dolphins can’t play themselves and the Patriots can’t play themselves either

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Why does Miami, a team that constantly is in the lower half of the NFL, always have one of the toughest schedules? Third toughest schedule this year. This shit is rigged.

How can the Dolphins get a hard schedule all the time if the Pats get an easy schedule all the time

The Dolphins played pure boiled asshole last year- the AFCN, the NFCE, their own division, and the Chargers and Colts

I really hope that's a joke. Because the generally 12-4ish pats get to play the generally 5-11ish Dolphins twice per year for 1/8th of the schedule, while the 5-11ish Dolphins have to play the 12-4ish Pats twice per year for 1/8th of their schedule. Throw in having to play the 10-6 bills twice and suddenly 1/4 of the Dolphin's schedule is against a combined .685 winning percentage.

Division teams that have to play a team that has a really strong record the year before will skew to a harder schedule just because of that.

Strength of schedule is always a trailing indicator anyway. Strength of schedule before the season means nothing because teams can be quite different year to year. Sure, some teams can be consistent, but there's just so much variance.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Holy shit the Patriots and Dolphins have 14 of the same 16 games per year and the only 2 that are different were, at the time the schedule was made, harder for the Pats than Dolphins

The Dolphins sucking shit is the Dolphin’s problem, not the Pats problem nor the NFL’s nor the schedule’s problem

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Who are the least bad NFL owners (Packers disqualified)

Jeffrey Lurie seems okay. I admit hometown bias may be at play here.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Really the issue is the Dolphins can’t play themselves and the Patriots can’t play themselves either

Dolphin fans (and fans of like at least half of the league) play themselves every year though

• Options
    Just a reminder that I’m a Browns fan

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

I'm sorry.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Holy shit the Patriots and Dolphins have 14 of the same 16 games per year and the only 2 that are different were, at the time the schedule was made, harder for the Pats than Dolphins

The Dolphins sucking shit is the Dolphin’s problem, not the Pats problem nor the NFL’s nor the schedule’s problem

*12 of the 16. The Pats-Dolphins games would be different from a SoS perspective.

In theory the other 2 games would offset the difficulty of your intra-divisional matchups (Dolphins can't play themselves, so they're missing a last-place-quality opponent, so two of those get imported from the other divisions in the AFC) and things would be relatively balanced schedule-wise within your division. The problem is the divisions aren't balanced.

AFC East got paired with the NFC West, which is a big reason why 7 of the 8 teams from those divisions are in the top 10 SOS rankings.
    Most teams in the NFC get to benefit from the NFC East in some form or another, especially the NFC East.
    The AFC North won the jackpot, getting both the NFC East and the AFC South as their full-division partners.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

On purpose?

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    The failsons/daughters/wives who inherited teams are probably the least bad. And of those it's probably the Rooneys as least objectionable humans/most competent administrators.

The Rooney/Mara blob is the safest assumption because while I'm sure they're vampires they're vampires who keep a low profile.

Vs someone who like Woody Johnson who may be a first generation owner is as old fuck-you money as it gets but is vulgar enough to be one of Trump's ambassadors.

Coincidentally the Steelers and Giants have ten super bowls between them and the Jets employer Rex Ryan for way too long.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    The Paul Allen Trust seems pretty chill so far. I don't know if they count, though.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    The Halas family and the rest of the ownership of the Bears seem like good people. I say that knowing next to nothing about them.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    If you have enough money to own a major sports franchise, you're probably not a good person.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Perhaps. But I am sure that the more recognised the owner is, the shittier they are on any measured scale.

• Options
    If you have enough money to own a major sports franchise, you're probably not a good person.

Or you’re Mark Davis and both too poor to own both a team and get a haircut, but also a terrible person

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Bobble wrote: »

*12 of the 16. The Pats-Dolphins games would be different from a SoS perspective.

In theory the other 2 games would offset the difficulty of your intra-divisional matchups (Dolphins can't play themselves, so they're missing a last-place-quality opponent, so two of those get imported from the other divisions in the AFC) and things would be relatively balanced schedule-wise within your division. The problem is the divisions aren't balanced.

AFC East got paired with the NFC West, which is a big reason why 7 of the 8 teams from those divisions are in the top 10 SOS rankings.
    Most teams in the NFC get to benefit from the NFC East in some form or another, especially the NFC East.
    The AFC North won the jackpot, getting both the NFC East and the AFC South as their full-division partners.

Just to drill down on this a little...

Here's the schedules of the two teams.
    Patriots - MIA, @SEA, LVRaiders, @KC, DEN, bye, SF, @BUF, @NYJ, BAL, @HOU, ARI, @LAC, @LAR, @MIA, BUF, NYJ
    Dolphins - @NE, BUF, @JAX, SEA, @SF, @DEN, LAC, LAR, @ARI, NYJ, bye, @NYJ, CIN, KC, NE, @LARaiders, @BUF

Removing divisionals...

Patriots - @SEA, LVRaiders, @KC, DEN, SF, BAL, @HOU, ARI, @LAC, @LAR
    Dolphins - @JAX, SEA, @SF, @DEN, LAC, LAR, @ARI, CIN, KC, @LVRaiders

Same (excepting location)
    Patriots on the road to Seahawks, Chiefs, Chargers, Rams.
    Miami on the road to 49ers, Broncos, Cardinals, Raiders.

I feel the Seahawks and the Broncos are close enough in home field advantage that they're a wash. And while I'd rather face the 49ers at home, and the Chiefs away (more likely to get a win out of the two games, by playing SF at home), the other four games do favor New England a little IMO. I'd rather face the Cardinals and Raiders at home than the Los Angeles teams.

Different
    Patriots @Texans, Patriots hosting Ravens
    Miami @Jaguars, Miami hosting Bengals

Anyone arguing that Miami are at a disadvantage here, are REALLY buying into the Cincinatti hype, or don't think the Ravens are going to be dominant this year.

I've made it clear in previous posts how much I despise the Patriots. And depending on how you judge the "same excepting location", I can see arguing Pats have a better schedule (though I'd argue the four "different" games at least balance that out). But to say they've got a significantly easier schedule than Miami, with the exception of having to play Miami twice, just seems ludicrous.

MorganV on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Playing new England hurts, but we still get the same jets and bills teams new England does. I just can't believe how often Miami has one of the toughest SoS in the league. It seems they're always at least in the top 10 if not top 5.

RickRude on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Broncos owner was Pat Bowlen until recently. I'm not a Broncos fan, though I live in the Denver area, but he seemed well liked overall.

A lot of his kids, who are fighting over who gets ownership now that he's gone, seem pretty shitty though.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    What about Shahid Khan, of the Jaguars? I seem to recall a few good things said about him.

• Options
    What about Shahid Khan, of the Jaguars? I seem to recall a few good things said about him.

I'm inclined to agree. But mainly because I enjoy AEW.

• Options
    Khan is an outspoken Trump stan and have $1mm to the bribeinauguration fund

His AEW involvement basically appears to be giving his son money and autonomy to have a pretty darn inclusive and relatively labor-friendly promotion

• Options
    Now I am disinclined.

Still enjoy AEW, though.

• Options

His AEW involvement basically appears to be giving his son money and autonomy to have a pretty darn inclusive and relatively labor-friendly promotion

Are there any NFL owners not on the MAGA bandwagon? It kinda feels like they all are, even if not super publicly.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Are there any NFL owners not on the MAGA bandwagon? It kinda feels like they all are, even if not super publicly.

Tisch, the most prominent Giants minority owner was apparently the only person going "Why are we letting this asshole jerk us around?" Back when Trump was making hay at their expense.

But to be honest I have no idea if that translates to having not donated or voted for him.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    I gotta say, everyone dunking on the Rams has been fun.

Also, way to go LA. Now you can just wear one set of colors and pretend to care about either team.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Oh my god

• Options
    There is no god, only blue.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Tua has the #1 selling jersey. I know us Miami fans are qb starved but damn.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Tagovailoa is just a sweet name to have on a jersey, especially because the pronunciation is so different from what you’d expect

If only they could put his full first name on a jersey

I’d buy 10 “Tuanigamanuolepola” jerseys

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tagovailoa is just a sweet name to have on a jersey, especially because the pronunciation is so different from what you’d expect

If only they could put his full first name on a jersey

I’d buy 10 “Tuanigamanuolepola” jerseys

You can order custom jerseys, but they only go up to 10 characters

9xqrgerw3yk3.png

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Also you might not want to get that particular set of letters in case someone tries to sound it out.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Tounge-a-man is a common last name.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    So is tongue-a-viola

I mean there’s 2 QBs with it!

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Tounge-a-man is a common last name.

Not where I live. Maybe in Detroit?

https://deadspin.com/butthole-eaten-at-lions-tailgate-1670931368