As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokémon] Scorbunnies and Shedinja: Hatching Dreepy 1000 times

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Arceus save us

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    It's amazing they found maybe the least interesting thing to me personally to announce

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    That stream could've been an email

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    I literally cannot stop laughing.

Them saying that they had a big project that needed its own presentation had everybody convinced that it was going to be Gen 4 remake or Let's Go: Johto.

But nah it's a phone MOBA. That was the thing so big and important it needed it's own event.

This is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    That stream could've been an email

This got me. Haha.

I'm down for this kind of game, but waiting a week to say anything and just a 13 min video, no release date/window? Oiy. I'm sure the Internet will be pleased.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Everyone is going to dunk on this and also it's going to make a kajillion dollars.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Waiting an extra week was not a great idea methinks, although I'd be lying if I said I was anything more than mildly perturbed.

• Options
    I feel like Tencent had to be the reason this was a separate announcement. They probably threw a bunch of money so it wouldn't have the share the spotlight with the new DLC and Pokemon Snap.

• Options
    Nah splitting the press cycle here makes sense. No one would talk about the other games if this was in the announcement.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I don't know about that. I feel like if you had one presentation that had both this moba game and the new Pokemon Snap the coverage and conversation is 100% going to be focused on Snap.

• Options
    We've already stopped talking about Snap

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Oh snap!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

The last 20 years would imply otherwise

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I will play the pokemoba

• Options
    edited June 2020
    You see, my fans, they have been most vocal on the subject of the snaps. "Where's the snaps? "When are you going to get the snaps?" "Why aren't you makin the snaps now?" And so on.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I will play the pokemoba

I'll definitely try it if its free, I don't think it looks like a very good moba though

...Im also not sure my phone will be able to run it very well

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I think it looks kind of fun but not fun enough that I’m likely to play and also I don’t know what a MOBA is but it looks like a sport? They score goals?

My main takeaway was that they make you start with unevolved forms but not Munchlax

I get possibly not using Pichu/Raichu because Pikachu always gets exemptions but skipping babies altogether? Munchlax is good!

• Options
    I was mentally prepared for it not being Gen4 Remakes/Let's Go Johto/Expansion Pass 2

Didn't make sense for them to announce something like that with Isle of Armor just having released and Crown Tundra still coming

Say Crown Tundra releases late this fall, it would make more sense to announce the new mainline thing early next year

Can't say I'm not a little disappointed though

I have no interest in MOBAs and I doubt this will be good even for a MOBA

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Jimothy wrote: »
    I think it looks kind of fun but not fun enough that I’m likely to play and also I don’t know what a MOBA is but it looks like a sport? They score goals?

My main takeaway was that they make you start with unevolved forms but not Munchlax

I get possibly not using Pichu/Raichu because Pikachu always gets exemptions but skipping babies altogether? Munchlax is good!

League of Legends but Pokémon

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Jimothy wrote: »

League of Legends but Pokémon

I’ve heard the name, never seen/played it

I’m getting the impression that it’s a bad game? People are mad about this one

Jimothy on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Nah, league is wildly successful for a reason

200 thousand people watching it on a wednesday afternoon

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    MOBAs are one of those things, like Fortnite, where talking about them on the Penny-Arcade forums gets weird, because people forget how wildly unrepresentative a sample we are of the general gaming audience

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I don't think that people are necessarily mad that they're making a pokemon moba.

More that the lead up to this presentation set up certain high expectations. They just had an announcement event last week but said that this other big new game needed its own event and were hyping it up on twitter. That led a lot of people to believe that we were getting something on the level of let's go johto or gen 4 remake, not a phone game.

The game might very well be a lot of fun but the way they handled the announcement has a lot of people feeling pretty underwhelmed.

H0b0man on
  • Options
    League is phenomenally successful, the company that makes it sucks an incredible amount of shit though

I think it’s 2 things here:
    1. Pokemoners probably don’t overlap much with MOBAers, and the Pokemoners want new Pokémon games, not other types of games using Pokémon licenses
    2. Even if you want a Pokémon MOBA, this one is on mobile, so expect IAP nonsense and limited interface

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Mobas are also a genre where I feel like everyone already has their game, and the period where everyone was trying to get in on it was like a decade ago at this point

Even Heroes of the Storm, who showed up to the party after everyone had gone home, was 2015

• Options
    The previous game of the developers had a Daily Active User count of 13 million unique players in May 2019

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The previous game of the developers had a Daily Active User count of 13 million unique players in May 2019

Is Tencent the developer or publisher

13 million seems low for Tencent :razz:

• Options

Is Tencent the developer or publisher

13 million seems low for Tencent :razz:

The developer is TiMi Studios, creators of Arena of Valour, a moba already on phones and nintendo switch

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    League is phenomenally successful, the company that makes it sucks an incredible amount of shit though

I think it’s 2 things here:
    1. Pokemoners probably don’t overlap much with MOBAers, and the Pokemoners want new Pokémon games, not other types of games using Pokémon licenses
    2. Even if you want a Pokémon MOBA, this one is on mobile, so expect IAP nonsense and limited interface

1. they absolutely do, considering Pokemon is the largest media franchise on the planet and MOBAs have been the biggest PC gaming genre for a decade. The people who complain loudly about Pokemon on the internet, a largely irrelevant demographic, may not
    2. that's fair to some extent, but at this point with who their target demographics are deploying on mobile is the only way that realistically can go

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Didnt they say mobile and switch for this

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

I'm not talking about it but I sure do think about it a lot

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I hate to betray blank but I'm team "it's evoking hair, not a toque"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    It’s a beanie ya hoser

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    I literally cannot stop laughing.

Them saying that they had a big project that needed its own presentation had everybody convinced that it was going to be Gen 4 remake or Let's Go: Johto.

But nah it's a phone MOBA. That was the thing so big and important it needed it's own event.

This is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

I feel like people still don't appreciate how insane the asian mobile market is?

Like, they presented it like it's a big deal because it is

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    this is like that diablo phone game announcement where the target market is clearly not north america but they still present it to north american audiences like they think we also care about these games the way china does

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    It is my duty to inform you that all prior designs for the original 151 Pokemon are now invalid.
    https://www.serebii.net/pokemonsmile/pokemon.shtml

my finger slipped in edit profile

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I feel like it should be noted porygon stayed exactly the same

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I feel like it should be noted porygon stayed exactly the same

Its head is bigger

• Options
    Shiny Zeraora is out

You have to move a pokemon between Home and SwSh on the Switch (either way works I believe?)

Then Zeraora should show up as a mystery gift in the mobile version of Home