Options

Battle[chat]

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Speaking of drunks, my parents still don't believe me that I've never had alcohol or done any sort of drug/cigarette. I have no idea why they think I'd boozing it up because I've never been that kid.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I knew that statistic already and i found it again on the first google hit for “percent teetotalers america”

sig.gif
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Rum Tum Tugger
    I read this yesterday which seems quite on-topic now

https://qz.com/quartzy/1748191/how-millennials-became-a-generation-of-homebodies/

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Almost everyone i know has been 2 and 69 drinks a week! How can that be something three quarters of people don’t do!

I fully believe the two ends of the spectrum, but I'm going to go with a lot of that 33% that says they have 1 are probably lying.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Rum Tum Tugger
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    every time i ever shave my face completely so there's no stubble or anything my reaction is always 'oh no'

and yet i just never learn

i shaved before my job interview and i got hired too quickly to grow a beard back and now i’m just fucked

As long as I'm not rocking a wild mountain man scruffy beard I get more calls back when I'm rocking a beard than when I'm not. Seemingly in contradiction of the advice the boomers gave during high school and college.

i didn’t shave for the interview i just happened to go through a moment where i wanted to shave my beard and it was literally two days later i got a call about an interview and three days later i was hired

it was terrible timing

look at this guy, can't grow a beard in 5 days

i go like a week and a half where it doesn’t look like anything and then one day i wake up to a full blown beard

i think it’s because my hair is coppery blonde and very fine

and also now pretty grey in the beard area

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Pikachu
    70+ drinks a week is just the wildest fuckin number that I totally believe

70+ is crazy but I believe it. 10% is what I have trouble with. That's a LOOOOT

To be clear I wholly believe both numbers because all my life experience, when closely examined, corroborates this. My brother and sister's hospital stories too.

but it still somehow catches me offguard

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Rum Tum Tugger
    lol
    Yet there may also be a dark side to all this cheerful indoorsiness. “Implicit in the introvert, stay-at-home discourse is the idea that life is increasingly bad,” Malcolm Harris, the author of Kids These Days: Human Capital and the Making of Millennials, told Vox’s Kaityln Tiffany. Harris argues that millennials are staying in more often not out of some pure love for hygge, but because they’re overworked, tired, stressed about the state of the world, and too broke to afford a big night out, anyway. All those memes about snuggling cats in bed could just be an attempt to put a positive spin on the grim circumstances that have pushed this generation into retreat.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I trimmed my beard short with the hope that I can just go this 10 day vacay without trimming it at all let’s see how that goes

poo
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Have you all tried being homosexuals and not being able to reproduce

Adoption is reproduction but also you pay $$$ up front

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

That's true

That's a lot of people engaging in wild binge drinking.

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    The best part about having a beard is it hides your fat face pretty well.

yep then i'm perpetually in that 'well i'll just shave my beard once i lost a few pounds' and then i hang that thought up in my closet next to all my clothes i can never wear

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Men are like this, women are like that, M I RIGHT?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Averaging 70 a week is requiem for a Dream level disaster life in my head

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rum Tum Tugger
    rude to say
    An added benefit of posting about staying in is that it can double as a form of personal branding: A way to assert control over your social anxiety, or a rebuff to the cultural pressures that can make young people feel like duds if their personal lives aren’t full of constant glitz and adventure. It’s also a subtle power move. Cracking a joke on Twitter about waiting for love to come find you in your apartment is a way of letting the world know that you’re self-sufficient and happy with or without social plans, free from pangs of loneliness or rejection.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Rum Tum Tugger
    Averaging 70 a week is requiem for a Dream level disaster life on my head

my life wasn’t great when i was a 70+ a week boi

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Agumon
    that's 10/night.

Yikes.

I'm lucky if I make four before I fall asleep.

• Options
    rude to say
    An added benefit of posting about staying in is that it can double as a form of personal branding: A way to assert control over your social anxiety, or a rebuff to the cultural pressures that can make young people feel like duds if their personal lives aren’t full of constant glitz and adventure. It’s also a subtle power move. Cracking a joke on Twitter about waiting for love to come find you in your apartment is a way of letting the world know that you’re self-sufficient and happy with or without social plans, free from pangs of loneliness or rejection.

I just came out tonight to have a good time and

sig.gif
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

What happens to them is not what would happen to you, if you tried to drink 70 drinks

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Goku
    Thanks to everyone talking about social events and shit I finally made a decision on how to get to PAX South. Went with a Greyhound, as the idea of driving for five hours and navigating downtown SA made me want to barf, but flying would involve me driving halfway there already just to get to a damn airport.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Every way I imagine doing 70+ drinks a week does not seem to match a 10% demographic

• Options
    Agumon
    I am aware of the existence of high functioning alcoholics, but like... hm

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    It's time for CRICKET!

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Agumon
    The most I can do is like 6 or 7 strong drinks in a night before I go pure stupid

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Agumon
    Anyways I propose being alone out of doors as a solution to all of the problems.

• Options
    I have a date tonight but I also have what I would describe as "heavy beef gas"

God dammit

• Options

Bartenders are completely unphased when you go in and do just alcoholic things, like order a beer three double shots in a row over an hour or w/e (he said not from experience)

I always wondered what the emotional toll was of bartenders and liquor store clerks dealing with people who were obviously being destroyed by addiction and having that be a huge part of your revenue

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Pikachu
    I imagine after a while of 70+ a week you feel mostly gross and bloated all the time vs woooo alcohol gettin wasted.

at least 10% of people are gross and bloated and sour so it does add up...

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Ryu
    Mood

nmt4qv2drs9d.png

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Pikachu

That's true

That's a lot of people engaging in wild binge drinking.

30 million people is SO MANY PEOPLE. But I know I only see such a small subsection of american society; my life experiences are really narrow. Something that always makes me a bit jealous of Dan is that he sees a huge variety of people as a psychiatrist and has long conversations with them.
    Yeah if you are doing 70+drinks a week your tolerance is quite high, so it probably doesn't have the bingedrinking party vibe, maybe more of a drinking until falling asleep thing? And probably throughout the day, not just in the evening.

I also can't imagine so many people being teetotalers! I'd imagine it's mostly religious people? I know like...one person who never drinks.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Goku
    I imagine after a while of 70+ a week you feel mostly gross and bloated all the time vs woooo alcohol gettin wasted.

at least 10% of people certainly feel gross and bloated and sour so it does add up...

Well, yes, but alcohol certainly doesn't have anything to do with it in my case.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    The most I can do is like 6 or 7 strong drinks in a night before I go pure stupid

6 or 7 strong drinks is 12 to 14 standard ones, landing you in the 70+ if you did it daily

Beers have gotten a lot stronger over the last couple decades which exacerbates the disconnect between statistical and medical “drinks” and actual drinks

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    also hi, hello, it has been a little while

how are things going and when are you going to run another cool roleplaying game?
    My next online game just got canceled and I am jonesing

So I want to playtest the Lasers & Feelings hack I have drafted before I make a nice PDF and put it up as PWYW on DriveThru, that’d be a one-shot kinda deal

I want to play King is Dead again as well

There’s too many dang games!!

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Agumon
    Preacher wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    I didn't have a birthday party till I was 25 and Dream insisted I needed to have at least one.

Were you a jehovahs witness? Who doesn't have at least one birthday party when they were a kid?

Combination of factors. For the first few years the family was recovering from a tragedy and after that a lack of money, and a general lack of friends kept a party from ever happening. For my birthday I got to choose dinner, and that was pretty much the celebration we could afford.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Pikachu
    I have a date tonight but I also have what I would describe as "heavy beef gas"

God dammit

You should text your date to tell her that

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Pikachu
    MrMister wrote: »

Bartenders are completely unphased when you go in and do just alcoholic things, like order a beer three double shots in a row over an hour or w/e (he said not from experience)

I always wondered what the emotional toll was of bartenders and liquor store clerks dealing with people who were obviously being destroyed by addiction and having that be a huge part of your revenue
    compartmentalize

• Options
    Agumon
    Kamiro wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    Anyways I propose being alone out of doors as a solution to all of the problems.

that couldn't possibly lead to drinking

I mean. You run out eventually.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »

Its probably similar to what scammers feel like when they rip off grandmas. They probably blame the people themselves for doing it and justify "well if it wasn't me it would be someone else."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    We’re taking the dog to a sitter this weekend to test out how it goes before we go to Australia

The sitter is the lady who fostered her and blossom seemed to like her a lot so that’s good

It’s making me anxious already!

• Options
    Rum Tum Tugger
    hello simonwolf

This discussion has been closed.