Options

Battle[chat]

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Honestly I hate having to attend the birthday parties for my son's friends. Always feels awkward as fuck "Hey uhh you're that parent I pass in the hall at daycare, hi..."

i think that’s different from attending the birthdays of your own friends and family

It is, but it isn't? Like at least the parties I've been to have been like an attempted "hey lets create a social group based on our kids being 'friends'" and I just want no part. I can't small talk for shit, my wife and I are older than most of the other parents of 3 year olds, and we seem to be the only fucking gamers there despite that seemingly statistically fucking impossible.

People at my job routinely are like "hey we should get together" and I'm like "no I don't want to anything with you or your family that impacts what I do with my time and frankly I don't care enough socially to engage in that."

that’s the difference though.

the “let’s force create a social group” part

All social groups are forced at some point.

I mean I attended pax meet ups a couple times and that just solidified how alone in a crowd I feel. Not everyone likes social gatherings, some people prefer sanitized internet musings and single serving friends.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Rum Tum Tugger
    Honestly I hate having to attend the birthday parties for my son's friends. Always feels awkward as fuck "Hey uhh you're that parent I pass in the hall at daycare, hi..."

i think that’s different from attending the birthdays of your own friends and family

It is, but it isn't? Like at least the parties I've been to have been like an attempted "hey lets create a social group based on our kids being 'friends'" and I just want no part. I can't small talk for shit, my wife and I are older than most of the other parents of 3 year olds, and we seem to be the only fucking gamers there despite that seemingly statistically fucking impossible.

People at my job routinely are like "hey we should get together" and I'm like "no I don't want to anything with you or your family that impacts what I do with my time and frankly I don't care enough socially to engage in that."

This doesn't seem to address Chanus's point. I agree with you and I agree with Chanus. I do not want to go to birthday parties of people I have not chosen to be friends with, which is what all your examples are. But people I do choose to be friends with have birthday parties that I enjoy.

i always agree with chanus

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    the hourish long catholic wedding mass is basically an affront to god change my mind

Your benchmark for an awful wedding ceremony is Catholic Mass. You lucky sob.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Clan Timber Wolf OmniMech
    Sleep wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    NSFWish (for weird and freaky and stuff)

Explain me why I thought I should show this to @Donkey Kong ? I dunno
    But here it is

I can't view this because it's hosted on facebook servers and all my devices would rather commit ritual suicide than allow this content to load (as instructed).

(Btw get off all facebook social media)

I’d like to because I hate it and I know it’s evil but it’s too convenient and useful and addicting

(At least I’m turning down their recruiters for now and have been
    Though I know I could make stupid money
    )

Anyway it’s also not loading in the forums for me for some reason

This is why I'm glad I'm too stupid to get recruited. It means I don't have to deal with telling a recruiter from a company like this that their core company ethics are at complete odds with society and I will not support a company like this.

Heh lucky you, I gotta live in that moral vacuum or else I starve.

Respect man, Respect.

I'm not being paid $Texas by any means, and will likely die alone at my work keyboard to be found days later when the Combination Nutrient/Manager Bot rolls by for weekly inspection, but I'm not workin' for the Zuck which is p. great so far.

Gimme another 50k and I'd work for a pharma company that drowns kittens.

Honestly if someone told me they could pay off my student loans just so I could keep my current salary I'd do just about anything.

Ahh, student loans :bro:

I went to state college in a state that was stupid cheap back in the day. Though by the time I left they had begun the hockey-stick rise in tuition fees and such, so the full program was going to be triple what I paid within 4 years.

Coupling that with aggressively paying down my debt once I realized I was being an idiot and spending too much money going out/stupid purchases. I'm out of that particular debt hole.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Agumon
    the hourish long catholic wedding mass is basically an affront to god change my mind

The first miracle was jesus and his friends hanging out at a wedding and someone realizing they were gonna run out of wine and jesus saying, fuck that we're gonna get Schwasty tonight, btw I'm totally a demigod watch this...

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Rum Tum Tugger

I mean I attended pax meet ups a couple times and that just solidified how alone in a crowd I feel. Not everyone likes social gatherings, some people prefer sanitized internet musings and single serving friends.

i mean i definitely have friends i love hanging out with and friends i’m like “dude i don’t want to drive an hour out of town to play pinball in some dude’s basement can’t we just like grab lunch for once”

• Options
    I went to a catholic funeral I didn't feel I'd stretched properly for. So much standing and kneeling.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Rum Tum Tugger
    Kamiro wrote: »

This doesn't seem to address Chanus's point. I agree with you and I agree with Chanus. I do not want to go to birthday parties of people I have not chosen to be friends with, which is what all your examples are. But people I do choose to be friends with have birthday parties that I enjoy.

i always agree with chanus

oh, yeah? then how come i don't see you agree to any of his posts?

shit shit shit

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

The first miracle was jesus and his friends hanging out at a wedding and someone realizing they were gonna run out of wine and jesus saying, fuck that we're gonna get Schwasty tonight, btw I'm totally a demigod watch this...

his mom made him do it. he didn't wanna.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Not a single one of you motherfuckers came to my birthday party

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options

i mean i definitely have friends i love hanging out with and friends i’m like “dude i don’t want to drive an hour out of town to play pinball in some dude’s basement can’t we just like grab lunch for once”

But not all of us want to do this though. Like that's me. Social stuff gives me anxiety and imposter syndrome out the ass and so I avoid them, so not everyone likes birthday parties or social gatherings. Its not a universal thing.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Pikachu

Occasionally parties for strangers are good if the venue is good and some friends are there. I mean there's free food and cake. As long as it's not a MLM recruitment event in disguise it does have a reasonably high baseline chance of being ok.

I went to the birthday of one of my husbands friends, drank beers, played cornhole with uncoordinated graduate students, ate burgers and then cake, discussed logistics of making a D&D web app with the birthday boy, then went home. It was good. I don't think I am lying to myself. It was above the sitting at home baseline!

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    It’s nearly the one year anniversary of my wedding, which is a terrifying thought about the passage of time

Anyway my wedding was great, just use that as the baseline for all future weddings thanks

• Options
    Rum Tum Tugger
    speaking of

work is doing one of those go drink wine and paint outings in a couple weeks and on the one hand it’s so bourgie but on the other hand i’m the new guy so i have to go but in the third hand that actually is something i might enjoy doing if i can punch down the social anxiety

and not drink through the social anxiety

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I need to bookmark this page so I can dunk on some of you folks the next time you go "I really don't want to attend (x) social event" for all the events you cherry pick to go "nou bowen I am a social butterfly and not a weird video game nerd posting on a video game forum all day"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Agumon
    I didn't have a birthday party till I was 25 and Dream insisted I needed to have at least one.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Agumon
    I went to an Armenian/French/English wedding once. That was an adventure. The ceremony was in three languages and it was already a long ass ceremony so .... that was a while.

The best part by far, though, was the DJ at the reception. There were like three sets of songs, one that I guess was Armenian pop or something, one that was French pop, and one that was standard USA wedding/party songs. But, the DJ had a friend with him, who played bongos to every song. So Armenian pop + bongos, French pop + bongos, Neil Diamond + bongos. It was great.

And also deafening.

VishNub on
  • Options
    especially that chanus guy, I know what he's really about

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    Not a single one of you motherfuckers came to my birthday party

oh, my invite must have gotten lost in the mail

These dudes in the mail room jfc

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    speaking of

work is doing one of those go drink wine and paint outings in a couple weeks and on the one hand it’s so bourgie but on the other hand i’m the new guy so i have to go but in the third hand that actually is something i might enjoy doing if i can punch down the social anxiety

why not both

spike the punch, down the social anxiety

• Options
    Rum Tum Tugger

But not all of us want to do this though. Like that's me. Social stuff gives me anxiety and imposter syndrome out the ass and so I avoid them, so not everyone likes birthday parties or social gatherings. Its not a universal thing.

you’re not wrong but the claim was most people don’t like celebrating with their friends

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Agumon
    speaking of

but aren't those the same thing?

VishNub on
  • Options
    I didn't have a birthday party till I was 25 and Dream insisted I needed to have at least one.

Were you a jehovahs witness? Who doesn't have at least one birthday party when they were a kid?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Not to continue being that guy after taking my virulently anti-facebook stance, but the article skippy linked is another one of my hot button spicy take issues.

All predictive text and auto reply messages should be disabled on all devices. Autocompletion of thoughts by machines is reshaping the way you write in ugly ways, and it's completely stifling self-expression. People increasingly sound homogenous and samey via email. They use the same phrases over and over that might not mean exactly what they want to say but it was really easy to just tap "Got it, thanks!" and have the reply fire off. Our very basic ability to be genuine in small interactions is wasting away.

Even autocorrect is doing this to some degree.

I threw away the gmail app when they added reply suggestions that couldn't be turned off (I think they later went back on this, thank god.)
    Yeah, I get some "Socrates complaining that writing makes memory worse" vibes from this.

• Options
    Rum Tum Tugger
    simonwolf wrote: »
    speaking of

why not both

spike the punch, down the social anxiety

well there will be wine so i guess i could spike the wine

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Pikachu
    PAX is hard for me because I always feel like a clique mean girl excluding people, but I am also an introverted guy who does not desire people-wrangling or large event planning and when too many people glom on to stuff it quickly becomes intractable.

So I try and do like small dinners with a rotating crowd and inevitably people find out they weren't invited to a thing they would have enjoyed and I am vicariously stressed out by this.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I need to bookmark this page so I can dunk on some of you folks the next time you go "I really don't want to attend (x) social event" for all the events you cherry pick to go "nou bowen I am a social butterfly and not a weird video game nerd posting on a video game forum all day"

I definitely tend toward being reluctant to socialize, but birthday parties are specifically the optimal one, I think

Like, it's also true that most people SOMETIMES want to skip any given event

There's a reason the Mulaney bit got a big laugh

• Options

you’re not wrong but the claim was most people don’t like celebrating with their friends

So you admit you're cherry picking just as much as I was.

I didn't specify close friends, just friends where in most cases you might be like the pinball example. And a lot of people don't treat family like close friends either, shit you could fill a volume of books with all the family problems that the PA forums, especially just chat, has posts on.

• Options
    Agumon
    Dude loved him some bongos though...

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    PAX is hard for me because I always feel like a clique mean girl excluding people, but I am also an introverted guy who does not desire people-wrangling or large event planning and when too many people glom on to stuff it quickly becomes intractable.

So I try and do like small dinners with a rotating crowd and inevitably people find out they weren't invited to a thing they would have enjoyed and I am vicariously stressed out by this.

I literally stopped organizing things and have become a social hermit because of this.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I am on a 2 hour video all hands meeting call and folks are doing product demos for software I do not and will not work on and it's like the world's longest, worst sprint demo

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    speaking of

I always found not drinking around people who are took away my anxiety a lot!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Agumon
    So have we concluded that people enjoy going to the types of events they typically enjoy going to? And that that subset of events may vary between people?

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

Occasionally parties for strangers are good if the venue is good and some friends are there. I mean there's free food and cake. As long as it's not a MLM recruitment event in disguise it does have a reasonably high baseline chance of being ok.

I went to the birthday of one of my husbands friends, drank beers, played cornhole with uncoordinated graduate students, ate burgers and then cake, discussed logistics of making a D&D web app with the birthday boy, then went home. It was good. I don't think I am lying to myself. It was above the sitting at home baseline!

I go out a lot though so that’s not the baseline some weeks

sig.gif
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I would also suggest that "most people" actually always want to go to every event and are constantly socializing because that's actually pretty normative

It's easy to forget this in a bubble like ours

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I won't lie when I visit you I am there to talk to your husband. He is a lovely man.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

So you admit you're cherry picking just as much as I was.

I didn't specify close friends, just friends where in most cases you might be like the pinball example. And a lot of people don't treat family like close friends either, shit you could fill a volume of books with all the family problems that the PA forums, especially just chat, has posts on.

I mean I guess its about what level of friends they are. I don't have a one sized fits all definition of friend. I have my couple brothers that I have known nearing 40 years now that I will go out to hang out with at a moments notice.

And then I have my other friends where I will ask "who is going to be there?".

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Just talked to a guy named "Dong An" that is unfortunate.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wrangling around adult schedules is awful too, I hate when people give me like a 2 day notice on something.

"You knew when my birthday was!" yeah I know the day of your birth I didn't know when you planned to go out to dinner or play some board games or whatever it is you want to do. How about I just not.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Pikachu
    the birthday candles were nothing to me but blinding

This discussion has been closed.