Options

[Love] and the gentle person

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I keep writing essays (which I delete because lol it’s only interesting to me)

Anyway the kids are at such a fun age. Great to be past the diaper/nap stage. Watching shows and playing games together as a family, that’s where it’s at

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I am eagerly awaiting the day we can start playing board games with my sister’s kids.

I played Trouble with my older niece and she loved it. I was miserable because it’s one of those “roll dice until the math works out and you can do something” games, but I was delighted by how much she enjoyed it. Gonna buy Splendor for the family next year, maybe.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I've seen Cats on the West End.

The plot is so nonsensical, we all had to wiki it afterwards to work out what the fuck had actually happened.

Why anyone thought this would translate into a film is beyond me.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Cats ran at the Pantages theater in LA for 18 Goddamned years, and when it finally ended I was like “awesome, can file that annoying commercial away in the ‘forget this exists’ bin”.

I will have my revenge on whomsoever resurrected this leviathan from the depths.
    To the last, I grapple with thee; From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Fuck

I forgot I have one more present to wrap

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I miss the holiday forums already

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Man, the past couple days have been kinda balls

yesterday my phone fell out of my pocket as I was closing the car door. Cracked my screen real good that way.

Today when I got back to my car after work, the battery was 100% dead. A nice lady gave me a jump, but when I stopped at the auto parts store and decided to test it... battery was already dead. Bought a new battery and my dad helped me swap them.

The guy in the auto parts store offers to check the alternator for me once we get it running again. It... isn't running at a high enough voltage to be measured. That's not good, right? The guy tells me "Uh, your car's probably running fully off the battery then, so you should go home NOW before it completely drains it." I make it home.

Anyway, I've got an appointment with the Honda place to check it out at 8:15 Saturday morning. Tomorrow I'll just have to get a ride to and from work.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Man, the past couple days have been kinda balls

yesterday my phone fell out of my pocket as I was closing the car door. Cracked my screen real good that way.

Today when I got back to my car after work, the battery was 100% dead. A nice lady gave me a jump, but when I stopped at the auto parts store and decided to test it... battery was already dead. Bought a new battery and my dad helped me swap them.

The guy in the auto parts store offers to check the alternator for me once we get it running again. It... isn't running at a high enough voltage to be measured. That's not good, right? The guy tells me "Uh, your car's probably running fully off the battery then, so you should go home NOW before it completely drains it." I make it home.

Anyway, I've got an appointment with the Honda place to check it out at 8:15 Saturday morning. Tomorrow I'll just have to get a ride to and from work.

Aww man that fucking sucks. If Honda want a ridiculous amount of money, be sure to call around a couple of independent workshops and get a quote from them.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Cats ran at the Pantages theater in LA for 18 Goddamned years, and when it finally ended I was like “awesome, can file that annoying commercial away in the ‘forget this exists’ bin”.

I will have my revenge on whomsoever resurrected this leviathan from the depths.
    To the last, I grapple with thee; From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.

When I came back in 2003 I had a choice Wicked or Cats
    I feel I made the better choice to see Wicked

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Kafka only worse?

Kafka should have been a character in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Just a guy who woke up as a giant bug one day and couldn't change back, and was like "Well I can walk on ceilings and gross people the fuck out, those are kind of superpowers?"

Butler on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I did not make it through Xmas without my family bringing up Brexit.

I am so so disappointed in one family member.

• Options
    Butler wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Kafka only worse?

Kafka should have been a character in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Just a guy who woke up as a giant bug one day and couldn't change back, and was like "Well I can walk on ceilings and gross people the fuck out, those are kind of superpowers?"

Metamorphosis is a comedy told backwards

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »

When I came back in 2003 I had a choice Wicked or Cats
    I feel I made the better choice to see Wicked

I have seen Wicked, I have yet to see Cats, and my life is all the better for it.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    The weather has been....distinctly uncooperative with socializing for the next week or so

Had to cancel plans today due to freezing rain overnight, and now the party I was due to attend on Sunday may be unreachable due to snow and sleet, though I'll see if I can use public transit for that, if it's even functional

Gonna be real annoyed if I used a vacation day on Monday and could have just called out on account of the weather instead

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Anyway in non crappy news, I have somehow convinced @Janson to stay married to me for eleven years now!

• Options
    Cello wrote: »
    Gonna be real annoyed if I used a vacation day on Monday and could have just called out on account of the weather instead

Damn, I would be, too. I hope that doesn’t happen!

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Liiya wrote: »

We managed Christmas and Boxing day without the subject coming up. Unfortunately it was replaced with an uncle bringing up a 9/11 conspiracy theory as fact because "there's video on YouTube you need to see"

I tried to let them down a bit gently until my other half's dad shouted from the other end of the table "it's all bollocks"

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

We managed Christmas and Boxing day without the subject coming up. Unfortunately it was replaced with an uncle bringing up a 9/11 conspiracy theory as fact because "there's video on YouTube you need to see"

I tried to let them down a bit gently until my other half's dad shouted from the other end of the table "it's all bollocks"

Ahaha this is brilliant !

• Options
    I think I have SAD

I've been in some sort of funk since somewhere around Halloween

I really need to get back to the gym routine

I moved, and changed gyms, but I haven't gone since I signed up

It's $30/month instead of the $10/month of planet fitness, but pf is 45 minutes away

Remember self care, comrades

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    my little cousin was over and he just lies about shit constantly. Tellin' me he has a youtube channel and how he totally rules at all these videogames. I was just shutting him down and then he's quiet for a minute and says "not working, huh?"

so bad at lying, little dude.

I might just be cynical but I feel like being able to lie is a necessary social skill. it's knowing when to lie that is the trick.

I'm not up to the task of teaching this kid how to lie though, his mom's gotta do that.

• Options
    @DouglasDanger do you have a sun lamp?

@Moriveth has been using one and I can absolutely tell when he’s been using it, it’s made quite the difference!

• Options
    Thank you, @Janson ! I will have to look for one of those.

• Options
    Yeah, they're good. I just wish I could set mine up at my current desk. I should probably swap it with the lamp I have at home, since that one I can unplug from the main unit.

• Options
    @DouglasDanger Janson suggested I mention the minimum lumens needed for a lamp to be effective - from what I understand, a 10,000 lumen lamp will do you well after about 10-15 minutes. I have a 10,000 and a 5000 one. The 5000 one works fine, but you do need to use it for longer for it to be effective.

The ideal way to set it up is to have it shining onto you but not directly into your eyes. So, like, set it up at your computer desk to the left or right of you.

It does make a marked difference in how you feel.

• Options
    Would something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VTV6GG4/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_B0LbEb9BSCK8S

Fuck, I hate Amazon

• Options
    Totally!

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I've actually been looking at "SAD" Lamps and "Happy" Lamps. But in researching it I can't seem to figure out which one to buy as well, too many decisions.
    Then there is stuff like this that makes me wonder if its all just snake oil

Abstract
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2033028
    Although light therapy has been shown to be effective in the treatment of seasonal affective disorder (SAD), little research has been done to determine which light wavelengths affect treatment outcome. In this triple crossover study the authors compared 1 week of light therapy in which bright (2500 lux), full-spectrum fluorescent light, with and without blockade of the ultraviolet (UV) spectrum, was used with a dim (500 lux) light control in 11 SAD patients. The dim light condition had no significant antidepressant effects as measured by the Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression (HAM-D), the Beck Depression Inventory (BDI), and an atypical depressive symptom (ATYP) score. The UV-light condition significantly reduced HAM-D, BDI, and ATYP scores, whereas the UV-blocked condition significantly reduced only the ATYP score. These results suggest that the UV-spectrum in light therapy may have a differential effect on typical and atypical symptoms in SAD.

I should include this from the Mayoclinic as well -
    Ultraviolet light

Light therapy boxes should be designed to filter out harmful ultraviolet (UV) light, but some may not filter it all out. UV light can cause skin and eye damage. Look for a light therapy box that emits as little UV light as possible. If you have concerns about light therapy and your skin, talk to your dermatologist.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    I mean it could be snake oil, but if the placebo helps my stupid brain, it helps my stupid brain.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Sorry, I'm not trying to poopoo them, I appreciate they are working for you I'm just anxious as all hell.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I feel like the holiday thread did not last as long this go round.

RIP Christmas December 25, 2019 - December 25, 2019 real shame that was the last one and there will never be another Christmas again. Oh well.

• Options
    Oh, I understand having doubts, and it's always sensible to be doubtful of these things. In my personal experience they've helped a lot, though.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    January is gonna be rough. We're both going on trips separately, at different times, and so far we've only gone like, a day at a time without seeing each other. 10 days total apart between her trip to San Fransisco, and my PAX South trip.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I feel like the holiday thread did not last as long this go round.

RIP Christmas December 25, 2019 - December 25, 2019 real shame that was the last one and there will never be another Christmas again. Oh well.

I too find it odd as usually the holiday thread came early mid dec and left after the new year
    But it's nice to see people from the sub forums come together and socialize

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Tonkka wrote: »
    January is gonna be rough. We're both going on trips separately, at different times, and so far we've only gone like, a day at a time without seeing each other. 10 days total apart between her trip to San Fransisco, and my PAX South trip.

if it helps, I'll make sure you drink enough at PAX that you forget you were ever gone

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    I just keep thinking how I really hope the alternator is the culprit of all the car problems I've been having, because I'd be perfectly fine driving my Fit for a few more years if that's the case.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    it probably is. They do wear out eventually. I think mine needed replacement at like 12 years.

• Options
    I started having problems a few years ago. Basically it would start but if I started to go before it was fully warmed up, the RPM would typically drop like a rock and the engine would stall out. It seems to have been getting worse lately, though, especially since we moved up to Washington from California, where it's a lot colder.

I looked up symptoms of a bad alternator and I'd experienced a few of them - mainly the lights dimming, I would occasionally get a bit of juddering from the engine, etc. And then yesterday the battery totally died, so I'm assuming the alternator was just barely chugging along before giving up the ghost last night.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    aw man with the holiday forum ended before i could get a definitive answer as to why they don't call themselves anime-niacs

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    BECAUSE THEY'RE COWARDS

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    My SAD lamp helped a bunch last year, but this year my medication warns not to use them to prevent eye damage, so!

I felt a genuine physical difference before and after using it. I'm sure just forcing myself to do some self care in the morning before work played a part, though

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
This discussion has been closed.