As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] Open TROS Spoilers! Beware!

• Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Woah that new trailer.
    I can completely accept Luke going for his lightsaber on instinct when he scanned Ben's head, if he's running into Palpatine in there (even if he clearly didn't realize it)

Dang, I might be brought around on the whole ST by this movie after all.

edit: In judging how spoilery the trailer really might be, consider that the first word of the movie is "At" according to Abrams. The meat of this trailer might be cut from the opening scene of the film.

This new trailer has me as jazzed for the movie as I've been thus far. Nice little anticipation-builder if you don't mind a bit of a spoiler. But its a really neat spoiler....

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »
    a lightsaber knee seems fine if it's something you're not, you know, activating constantly and you can just flip it on and off for when you're actually trying to hit something with your knee.

Since then obviously then not only are you kneeing something, but then you're also shoving a roiling hot blade of magnetically contained plasma through said thing.

But just while you're walking is kind of a waste

Just turn me into Lightsaber Hellraiser dude

Yeah, you've already got 8 lightsabers there so why not go all out and be a lightsaber porcupine?

Those spikes on his shoulders should obviously be lightsabers too, otherwise they are meaningless. And he needs to have a lightsaber on his forehead too for headbutting. He could also use some backwards facing lightsabers on his elbows for spin attacks and naturally lightsaber toes and lightsaber spurs for kicks.

A secret lightsaber schwartz dong would be a good idea too as a last resort if an enemy disables all of his other lightsabers.

Xantomas on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Burger King is doing the oddest marketing campaign I've ever seen.

They are giving away free food for reading Rise of Skywalker spoilers out loud.

Like, they give you a spoiler to read out loud. If you read it, you get a free Whopper.

And supposedly these leaks match the other leaks that have hit the internet recently. The ones that I've read literally zero good reactions to.

Even more odd is that it seems like BK is doing this without support from Disney. BK is being real cagey about mentioning Star Wars directly and staying away from actually saying any copyright infringing names or whatever. So BK might be doing this completely separate from Disney. Just. What?

This is real weird...

Edit: https://www.google.com/amp/s/ew.com/movies/2019/12/12/burger-king-rise-of-skywalker-spoilers/amp/

There are no spoilers in that article, but also I didn't watch the video that contained the ad that supposedly does have spoilers.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

Like, they give you a spoiler to read out loud. If you read it, you get a free Whopper.

And supposedly these leaks match the other leaks that have hit the internet recently. The ones that I've read literally zero good reactions to.

Even more odd is that it seems like BK is doing this without support from Disney. BK is being real cagey about mentioning Star Wars directly and staying away from actually saying any copyright infringing names or whatever. So BK might be doing this completely separate from Disney. Just. What?

This is real weird...

I have seen speculation they are just repeating the already leaked spoilers, so there is a chance the BK spoilers are wrong.

I seriously doubt the spoilers are wrong based on what the trailers have shown, but Disney might have cut trailers just to mess with the spoilers. So who knows?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

This is real weird...

I have seen speculation they are just repeating the already leaked spoilers, so there is a chance the BK spoilers are wrong.

I seriously doubt the spoilers are wrong based on what the trailers have shown, but Disney might have cut trailers just to mess with the spoilers. So who knows?

I mean, if they are doing this without Disney support, then they would have had to get the spoilers somewhere. I hope they are just parroting the leaks and end up being wrong.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    The supposed leaks could be based on the trailers. TLJ had leaks that were ridiculously off but felt plausible because the source clearly had access to some stuff early but not the actual film or plot.

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I never read any leaks, but I also don't remember TLJ having any leaks. I'll need to go back and see what kinds of leaks did come out about TLJ

Edit: Ok, quick search and TLJ leaks were basically dead on

ObiFett on
  • Options
    I never read any leaks, but I also don't remember TLJ having any leaks. I'll need to go back and see what kinds of leaks did come out about TLJ

Yes I really enjoyed Luke fighting all of the knights of Ren at once on achto in tlj.

• Options

Yes I really enjoyed Luke fighting all of the knights of Ren at once on achto in tlj.

I meant I did a single search, clicked on the first leak link posted in 2017 and it was dead on. I'm not doubting there were incorrect ones.

• Options

I meant I did a single search, clicked on the first leak link posted in 2017 and it was dead on. I'm not doubting there were incorrect ones.

Looking at it, the super accurate leaks for TLJ happened a few days before the wide release on the 12th; all the writing about it is on the 10th.

Because the movie premiered on the 9th in the Shrine Auditorium in LA.

The Endgame super accurate leaks were basically the same thing iirc, some dude who saw an early screening and just summarized it scene by scene.

It's possible the stuff out there right now is 100% accurate, but I'd wager it's someone with access to marketing or trailer materials filling in the gaps with fanfiction.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    And I’m out of the thread until after I see the film. Looking forward to the wailing and gnashing of teeth next weekend! I’m sure it’ll be the worst/best film ever with zero room for any other opinions.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Woah that new trailer.
    I can completely accept Luke going for his lightsaber on instinct when he scanned Ben's head, if he's running into Palpatine in there (even if he clearly didn't realize it)

edit: In judging how spoilery the trailer really might be, consider that the first word of the movie is "At" according to Abrams. The meat of this trailer might be cut from the opening scene of the film.

This new trailer has me as jazzed for the movie as I've been thus far. Nice little anticipation-builder if you don't mind a bit of a spoiler. But its a really neat spoiler....
    Kinda agree with this, besides
    That voice has appeared in, what, 3 trailers already?

It's not much of a spoiler at all at this point unless you've totally been avoiding trailers...

• Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    Senna1 wrote: »
    Woah that new trailer.

It's not much of a spoiler at all at this point unless you've totally been avoiding trailers...
    I suppose the real spoiler is the implication that Palpy is the man behind the curtain on Snoke, the corruption of Kylo Ren, etc. But it very well could be typical trailer misdirection, or an unused line...

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »
    a lightsaber knee seems fine if it's something you're not, you know, activating constantly and you can just flip it on and off for when you're actually trying to hit something with your knee.

Since then obviously then not only are you kneeing something, but then you're also shoving a roiling hot blade of magnetically contained plasma through said thing.

But just while you're walking is kind of a waste

Just turn me into Lightsaber Hellraiser dude

Yeah, you've already got 8 lightsabers there so why not go all out and be a lightsaber porcupine?

Those spikes on his shoulders should obviously be lightsabers too, otherwise they are meaningless. And he needs to have a lightsaber on his forehead too for headbutting. He could also use some backwards facing lightsabers on his elbows for spin attacks and naturally lightsaber toes and lightsaber spurs for kicks.

A secret lightsaber schwartz dong would be a good idea too as a last resort if an enemy disables all of his other lightsabers.

Also, those should be remote controlled rocket hands, for lightsabering at a distance.
    I mean, you can't very well throw those sabers, they're surgically implanted. So why not disconnect your entire lower arm and throw that instead?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Don't they get silly with sabers in the new movie?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Don't they get silly with sabers in the new movie?

There was this one
    giphy.gif

Pailryder on
  • Options
    Yeah. That dual blade one.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Sex Machine finds your lack of spring loaded cock lightsabers disturbing?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Woah that new trailer.

I suppose the real spoiler is the implication that Palpy is the man behind the curtain on Snoke, the corruption of Kylo Ren, etc. But it very well could be typical trailer misdirection, or an unused line...
    True, I guess I just assumed that with the death of Snoke in TLJ that as soon as we heard Palps in a RoS trailer he was extremely likely to be returning as the Big Bad. In some form.

It's the safe move after TLJ, and let's be honest - all they want for this thing now is a safe landing that makes fans happy enough that the franchise can keep going, they're not ending the Skywalker Saga with a "fuck you nerds, it's all meaningless" twist. He's the bad guy of the Skywalker Era, and in hindsight he probably always should have been without taking 2 of 3 movies to get there if they were going to do that anyway.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Woah that new trailer.

True, I guess I just assumed that with the death of Snoke in TLJ that as soon as we heard Palps in a RoS trailer he was extremely likely to be returning as the Big Bad. In some form.

It's the safe move after TLJ, and let's be honest - all they want for this thing now is a safe landing that makes fans happy enough that the franchise can keep going, they're not ending the Skywalker Saga with a "fuck you nerds, it's all meaningless" twist. He's the bad guy of the Skywalker Era, and in hindsight he probably always should have been without taking 2 of 3 movies to get there if they were going to do that anyway.
    Yeah, sure would've been nice if they'd planned any of this shit ahead of time.

• Options
    I want to see if the Porgs are still nesting in the Falcon.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Because I have been half-looking: from interview with JJ
    JJ says he will be introducing some new "force powers" that will "make some fans upset." At this point I'm half expecting them to copy-paste the Infinity Stones as Force powers. I'm not opposed to adding things new to the films, the video games certainly would have been boring without them, but I also felt like the Leia Mary Poppins was gut-wrenchingly terrible so I don't have high hopes. The Luke Force-hologram was cool, so...

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Woah that new trailer.

Yeah, sure would've been nice if they'd planned any of this shit ahead of time.

Yeah I really don't know how you do Star Wars, something you KNEW would be a trilogy, by the seat of your pants. The MCU had more care and attention paid to it and it was not a sure thing at the beginning. I understand you want to leave room for individual directors to put their stamp on it and come up with new ideas along the way. I'm not saying you should have three movies IN STONE but if you know you're going to do the rest you could at least say "okay, this is the payoff at the end, and we need beats A and B to be in the first one, and C and D to be in the second."

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I want to see if the Porgs are still nesting in the Falcon.

If they don't show up, I will assume the Resistance members that escaped on the Falcon ate them.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I was a little upset that Chewie didn't eat that Porg. I mean, I get it. Porgs are cute. Kids love 'em. Chewie eating one would be bad for marketing IRL. My own daughter has a "Cuter than a Porg t-shirt"

But really? Chewie is continually sold to us a bad mutherfucka who rips peoples arms off. Yet we know he's a giant softy for his friends. But still.... a massive, carnivorous, arboreal tree dweller really should have no qualms about eating a gawddamn bird!

Fake edit: Both "Arboreal" and "tree dweller" really didn't need to be used in the same sentence.

• Options
    Especially since he'd already cooked it. Now its death was in vain.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    JJ says he will be introducing some new "force powers" that will "make some fans upset." At this point I'm half expecting them to copy-paste the Infinity Stones as Force powers. I'm not opposed to adding things new to the films, the video games certainly would have been boring without them, but I also felt like the Leia Mary Poppins was gut-wrenchingly terrible so I don't have high hopes. The Luke Force-hologram was cool, so...

Yeeeeah.
    This makes me really concerned that the Force will be used to reboot the Galaxy in some fashion. I’ve decided that timelines are as inherently flawed as flat earths, and shouldn’t be used when discussing long running stories, but the is beginning to smell like Rey and Kylo end up in some pocket of the original trilogy and divert the outcome. Maybe they even intervene in Luke’s final battle with Vader and the Emperor and save Anakin’s life. It feels like something with time shenanigans are in the cards, and the goal is to unwrite the sequel trilogy to avoid working out its aftermath.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »

Yeeeeah.
    This makes me really concerned that the Force will be used to reboot the Galaxy in some fashion. I’ve decided that timelines are as inherently flawed as flat earths, and shouldn’t be used when discussing long running stories, but the is beginning to smell like Rey and Kylo end up in some pocket of the original trilogy and divert the outcome. Maybe they even intervene in Luke’s final battle with Vader and the Emperor and save Anakin’s life. It feels like something with time shenanigans are in the cards, and the goal is to unwrite the sequel trilogy to avoid working out its aftermath.
    If you look close you can see Kylo and Rey in the background of a bunch of scenes of the D+ versions of the OT. "Maclunkey" means "someone with a laser sword just materialized right behind you!"

• Options
    I hope that Leia sabotages or undoes Kylo in some way.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    People keep complaining that the ST was done without a plan, but JJ has said he's had an outline for the trilogy since TFA, and that Palpatine was intended to return since it would be a little wierd to end the saga without its primary bad guy. Maybe it would have been a little more cohesive if JJ did all three films, but to say they have been making it up as they go is a bit disingenuous. JJ has also said the events of TLJ did not alter his plans for the overall arc of the trilogy; the only thing that has caused significant changes was the passing of Carrie Fisher.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    People keep complaining that the ST was done without a plan, but JJ has said he's had an outline for the trilogy since TFA, and that Palpatine was intended to return since it would be a little wierd to end the saga without its primary bad guy. Maybe it would have been a little more cohesive if JJ did all three films, but to say they have been making it up as they go is a bit disingenuous. JJ has also said the events of TLJ did not alter his plans for the overall arc of the trilogy; the only thing that has caused significant changes was the passing of Carrie Fisher.

I can’t even begin to imagine how many people are involved in the decision-making of something like a Star Wars movie, but I would completely believe the total documentation from beginning to end to be similar in volume to what would be needed to successfully amend the Constitution, or achieve the Moon landing.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Yeah, maybe I'm totally blinded by optimism, but I think I'm on board with "TLJ wasn't disruptive, it was planned, it's all going to come together in the third movie." The trailers look confident, they've gotten me excited, and frankly I'm hoping to retroactive like TLJ more after seeing tRoS.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

Maybe that plan should have been executed in all 3 movies instead of spending movie 2 going yadda yadda yadda.

• Options

Or, he's out there trying to convince people that they had a plan all along to get butts into theater seats, and then people watch the movie and are all like "oh so that's why Kylo Ren said that thing in TFA, because they had planned this whole thing way in advance" when in reality they just found a way to retroactively make it seem like all the mystery box stuff was planned out from the start rather being, well, empty boxes.

Like, maybe it turns out Rey is Palpatine's creation the same way Anakin was. TFA had the completely open-ended mystery parents thing, so it could be. But in TLJ it was said that her parents were nobodies, but hold on, wasn't Shmi Skywalker also a nobody? Ooh, now it seems like there was a plan and it was all super well executed, when in reality it's much more probable that there was never any thought put into who the mystery parents are and the real answer was whatever the next film maker in line intended, and the only reason they're even trying to do the whole "there was a plan all along" thing is as a marketing gimmick.

• Options
    If it looks like there was a plan, that's good enough.

That's how, like, 90% of fiction works.

Bit weird to do it with your movie trilogy for a gigantic franchise when you've had so much success with carefully planning your OTHER gigantic franchise

but no one judges the OT negatively because Darth Vader wasn't intended to be Luke's father in A New Hope

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Yeah, if it works out in the end then that's fine.

I just refuse to give Abrams the benefit of the doubt that it was planned.

reVerse on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I just think people need to go into RoS with an open mind. Like what do you gain by being super negative before seeing something? Why see it at all at that point?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe I'm totally blinded by optimism, but I think I'm on board with "TLJ wasn't disruptive, it was planned, it's all going to come together in the third movie." The trailers look confident, they've gotten me excited, and frankly I'm hoping to retroactive like TLJ more after seeing tRoS.

this would be the best scenario

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I just think people need to go into RoS with an open mind. Like what do you gain by being super negative before seeing something? Why see it at all at that point?

There’s definitely a thing where people get too deeply emotionally invested in the ride they’ve chosen to be on, but are unwilling to leave the ride once it starts going places they didn’t want it to go.

I suppose it can be especially rough if its a major piece of personal culture or an identity touchstone.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Isn't JJ the mystery box guy? That's my basis for assuming he didn't have a 3-movie plan

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
This discussion has been closed.