Options

Star Trek: Give Us Sexy Dolphins Now!!

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I dunno, in the episodes of Enterprise that I managed to watch, it seemed to me that Scott Bakula was phoning it in pretty much from the beginning. So even if theoretically he could've done a good job, in reality he likely would've been the same blob of blandness regardless of the quality of the writing.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    halkun wrote: »
    The behind the scenes stuff about how Ronald D Moore was set to make Voyager to be more like how he made Battlestar makes me mad. They put all the set pieces up. Only so many torpedoes, shuttlecraft, and no replicators. He wanted it to be a mutigeneraltional ship, blackened with scares and gashes by the time it floated back to Earth with a trail of smoke behind it. Then he got fired because they were scared about syndication. :(

Ron Moore gave a lot of good advice about Voyager and Enterprise. Rick Berman refused to listen to any of it.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    The behind the scenes stuff about how Ronald D Moore was set to make Voyager to be more like how he made Battlestar makes me mad. They put all the set pieces up. Only so many torpedoes, shuttlecraft, and no replicators. He wanted it to be a mutigeneraltional ship, blackened with scares and gashes by the time it floated back to Earth with a trail of smoke behind it. Then he got fired because they were scared about syndication. :(

Ron Moore gave a lot of good advice about Voyager and Enterprise. Rick Berman refused to listen to any of it.

Man, this version of Voyager sounds awesome. Imagine how scary and bad-ass the whole crew would be by the time they got back.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I always liked the idea of Voyager being crewed by misfits and screwups that Starfleet didn't put much stock in, but the crucible that was the Delta Quadrant would forge them into a crew that could go toe to toe with any Enterprise. If you had that I could forgive the pristine ship and infinite torpedoes.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I always liked the idea of Voyager being crewed by misfits and screwups that Starfleet didn't put much stock in, but the crucible that was the Delta Quadrant would forge them into a crew that could go toe to toe with any Enterprise. If you had that I could forgive the pristine ship and infinite torpedoes.

I always thought it would be great to have the standard pick of Star Trek races and make them all play against type. Like Vulcan as councillor, Klingon science officer, etc. etc. and of course Captain Nog.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    There’s a timeline where we got a Captain Nog series and I want to see it.

Then it’s off to the one with a Captain Sulu series.
    Though I feel you could still do that with John Cho.

Have Takei appear as bookends—old Sulu recounting the story after being elected Federation President

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    There’s a timeline where we got a Captain Nog series and I want to see it.

Then it’s off to the one with a Captain Sulu series.
    Though I feel you could still do that with John Cho.

Have Takei appear as bookends—old Sulu recounting the story after being elected Federation President

:whistle: Sulu's the star of the show
    Other guys just along for the ride
    :whistle:

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    So one other thing that I was thinking about with the contrast between Locarno and Paris is things like Locarno seems to have actually been, like, a good cadet. One never gets a good sense of Paris' time at the academy but he does not strike one as having ever been a good or attentive student.

And I was thinking about stuff like that in terms of backstory and what it brings to the character and it just occurred to me that Locarno is young Picard. That this is something the story is, I think, trying to subtly highlight. His attitude, his qualities, even his place within the story as the devil on Wesley's shoulder constrasted with Picard as the angel on the other. We know Picard was talented and driven but also a little wild from the story the episode hints at happening back in his academy days. And Tapestry that comes next season highlights Picard's wild youth even more.

Locarno is a talented cadet and charismatic leader who's a little too wild. Not unlike Picard himself. Picard's conversation with Boothby brings this idea up as well, where Picard did a Bad Thing at some point and Boothby basically kicked him in the ass to remind him to do the right thing, the same way Picard does for Wesley in turn. Locarno just has no one there to kick him in the ass and set him on a better path.

As before, this occurs to me as something that would have made the character in Voyager actually interesting. A back story that could have informed character growth under Janeway as the mentor he needs.

Needs repeating; the reason we got Paris instead of Locarno is because they didn't want to pay the original writer for him to be in every episode.

Which is why Paris is such a let-down because you don't get the backstory that informs Locarno. We never learn what Paris fucked up beyond a vague he did bad and people died, in part because they didn't want to get caught blatantly ripping off Locarno where a Lawyer can see them.

I remember reading the "how Voyager was made" book back in the 90s, where they tell of how they came up with the backstory for Paris v Locarno and even then it was bullshit. (Locarno was too unredeemable).

The same book had Kes species called the Mayflies for a huge period of development(cause they only live 10 years get it?! Huh!?).

It also had the Kazon called the Crips/Bloods because their thing was supposed to be that they where gangbangers in outer space... Man, we dogged a bullet there. I mean we got the Kazon for 2 season, but it could have been so much worse. The original idea was to have them all played by very young actors too.

The book read as if somebody threw a bunch of random ideas out there and somebody had to make it into a functioning story for Voyager.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    In retrospect, it seems that having Rick Berman take over the reins was a bad idea.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    In retrospect, it seems that having Rick Berman take over the reins was a bad idea.

So many things are obvious in retrospect.

In retrospect, it seems giving the reins of Game of Thrones to two novices who dislike the fantasy genre and who just googled some theories about the main characters before the meeting was a bad idea.

In retrospect, it seems giving the reins of Star Wars to a director who values nostalgia-ridden flashy reveals above coherent story-telling or quality movie-making was a bad idea.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    It also had the Kazon called the Crips/Bloods because their thing was supposed to be that they where gangbangers in outer space... Man, we dogged a bullet there. I mean we got the Kazon for 2 season, but it could have been so much worse. The original idea was to have them all played by very young actors too.

I'm surprised they didn't just use a mashup name. Basically a portmanteau couple name, but for enemies.

The Blips. No, wait.

The Cruds. Well, that would be accurate, at least.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Me and the husband watched First Contact! It's good! It's kinda silly sometimes but it mostly just feels like a big long highly produced and expensive episode of TNG and that's rad

• Options
    I made my mom take me to see it 7 times in theaters.

I have a real soft spot for the first two TNG movies, warts and all—though First Contact holds up much more than Generations.

• Options
    I feel completely alienated from Trek Youtube right now with their facepalming and talking of the show failing and open Berman Nostalgia

That last one in particular.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    It's the same thing happening in every fandom. A decade ago, we got 3-hour long dissertations on what the Star Wars prequels should have been. Now, they're Lucas' pure vision that Disney betrayed.

In twenty years, this'll be seen as a Trek golden age, and whatever's new then will be awful and bad and a betrayal. Internet fandom can't exist if it's not complaining. People picketed TNG in 1986—and that's the type of fan the internet caters to.

Mancingtom on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Star Trek fans these days largely know what Berman's Star Trek stood for: no queer characters; women as set dressing and/or "strong female characters" (i.e. men with tits, none of that icky girly shit), and definitely no social justice stuff that isn't ultra-safe pabulum. And there's a section of the fanbase that want that back, mostly the ones still upset that a woman said that video games reused sexist cliches a lot and never stopped being mad about it.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    I was chatting to someone who is naturally wary about their entertainment being "political" and raised an eyebrow at Picard's promise to explore the turn our society has taken, but when I showed them how in that context Trek has nearly always been political they seemed okay with it.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I dunno, in the episodes of Enterprise that I managed to watch, it seemed to me that Scott Bakula was phoning it in pretty much from the beginning. So even if theoretically he could've done a good job, in reality he likely would've been the same blob of blandness regardless of the quality of the writing.

ENT is the only thing I've seen Bakula in so he really stands out as a bad actor in my mind. He sounds like he's reading lines from que cards held up out of shot. He's only spared from being the worst actor in the show by the guy who played Travis who is even worse. I have no idea how either of them passed an audition. Just truly wooden delivery of lines that yanked me out of any sense of buying into the story and kept me constantly aware I was watching actors on a set reading lines.

• Options
    Shran tho

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Shran tho

Shran (And Doctor Phlox, who I like and which statement is a hill I'm willing to die on) aren't enough to redeem the human cast being largely very boring or character-less.

Agreed about Bakula, though. Expected better from the guy!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Star Trek fans these days largely know what Berman's Star Trek stood for: no queer characters; women as set dressing and/or "strong female characters" (i.e. men with tits, none of that icky female shit), and definitely no social justice stuff that isn't ultra-safe pabulum. And there's a section of the fanbase that want that back, mostly the ones still upset that a woman said that video games reused sexist cliches a lot and never stopped being mad about it.

I think that's as distorted a view of what 90s Trek was as anything people saying Trek "got too political now" are complaining about.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I think that seasons 1 and 2 are the ones I mostly just watched once. I wonder if I would've stuck with the series if that's where I'd started.

What kind of advice did Moore give with respect to Enterprise?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    I think that seasons 1 and 2 are the ones I mostly just watched once. I wonder if I would've stuck with the series if that's where I'd started.

404 not found, he'd moved on by then.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Voyager made a grave mistake in abandoning continuity, with the larger Trekverse and within itself. The concepts for the Voyager crew are all great, the actors are all great, but they almost never get a chance to really grow. What development we got happened almost by accident, and as such got ignored whenever the writers felt like it.

I remember when I was watching the show as a kid and there was that episode where spacetime BS happened to Voyager so like two timelines were stuck together or something, but anyway one Voyager was getting the unholy crap beaten out of it while the parallel Voyager was fine, and then the fine Voyager had to blow itself up because it was trapped and the Kazon invaded or something so the beaten up Voyager was left. Whatever.

Anyway, naive little kid was excited because maybe in the next episode(s) Voyager would probably still be beaten up, trying to repair itself while adventures and danger happened, because it had taken a serious beating and there was no way everything would be back to normal for a while. Next week, everything was back to normal, shiny and polished again. I was so disappointed. Even preteen me could recognize what a great opportunity had just been thrown away.

I still stuck it out until the salamander sex episode at which point I noped out. Now I only know about what happened in the rest of the series via SFDebris.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    When Voyager was good, it was damn good Trek.

Those highs were pretty rare. More of the time, the show wavered between “watchable” and “wut.”

I still have a real soft spot for it, though, since it was the first show my mom and I watched together through its run.

Mondays/Wednesdays for 7 years: Dinner —>Trek—>Bed

Mancingtom on
  • Options
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Since I am... displeased about Hugh, I went back and watched I, Borg. Holy shit is it wierd seeing Picard and Riker advocate for genocide and it isn't some mirror universe type shit. Even Guinan gets in on it, encouraging Picard! But that's just how scared shitless of the borg they are. It's a great episode.

Nobody gets karate kicked in the face, nothing explodes, nobody dies or has an emotional melt down. You just sit there and get your thoughts provoked. I miss Trek like this.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Oh that whole episode is fucking great.

Man, what could have been with Voyager just makes me sad sometimes.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Since I am... displeased about Hugh, I went back and watched I, Borg. Holy shit is it wierd seeing Picard and Riker advocate for genocide and it isn't some mirror universe type shit. Even Guinan gets in on it, encouraging Picard! But that's just how scared shitless of the borg they are. It's a great episode.

Nobody gets karate kicked in the face, nothing explodes, nobody dies or has an emotional melt down. You just sit there and get your thoughts provoked. I miss Trek like this.

I watched this a few days ago and it's really a great watch. I love what they do with Guinan too. She's always the calm voice of reason when she shows up and yet here at the start she's just straight up calmly telling Picard "these aren't people and we need to kill them all" the same way she would tell him anything else in any other episode.

And I think the entire episode and the character's reactions to it all feel natural entirely because they've done such a good job of establishing what kind of a threat the Borg are. It doesn't feel forced for some of them to be honestly and straightforwardly on team "destroy the Borg".

shryke on
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

Eh. The damning thing about The Thaw is that it could have been an episode from any of the 90s series. Shit, it could easily be a TOS episode. Or even ENT I guess, if you wanted to ruin the premise with blandness. It could have been a TNG episode without changing almost anything and probably would have been better for it. Which is just kinda sad in terms of what it says about Voyager.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »

Ron Moore gave some solid advice about Trek prequels in a interview back in 2000:

"The STAR TREK past, it's challenging; it sounds like it's fun on one level, and I thought that was an interesting way to go for a long time. But it has a lot of pitfalls to it. You have a very complex future mapped out. If you are going to go into STAR TREK's past, say, pre-Kirk, you better have an iron-clad commitment to maintaining the continuity that's been established, or I think you are just going to lose everybody. Because if you go back before Kirk, and you start screwing around, and you just don't care what NEXT GEN or DS9 or VOYAGER established, or the movies, or even the original series, you just try to make it up as you go along, I think you just lost everyone. The whole franchise will just collapse, because it will have no validity whatsoever. If you are going to go there, you really better be prepared to truly put on the STAR TREK mantle and be the keeper of the flame."

"I think that is really hard for Rick and Brannon. It's hard for them to do that, because they don't like the original show. Let's not mince words. They don't like the original show. They have never liked the original show. They'll bob and weave a bit here and there in public. But they don't like it; they don't want to have anything to do with it. If you are going to go before the original series and do something, you better have a change of attitude. You better have an epiphany about how much you love the original series. It's all going to be about leading up to that."

https://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118/

• Options
    I would like to see an RDM Trek. He’s part of many stories I love.

And I’ve said it before and I’ll say till my voice goes hoarse, if Trek wants to do a prequel series it should adapt The Lost Era. Give me an ensemble story following Sulu, Harriman, and Red Foreman Space President.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Eh. The damning thing about The Thaw is that it could have been an episode from any of the 90s series. Shit, it could easily be a TOS episode. Or even ENT I guess, if you wanted to ruin the premise with blandness. It could have been a TNG episode without changing almost anything and probably would have been better for it. Which is just kinda sad in terms of what it says about Voyager.

I'm not entirely sure this would have played better in many of the other series. Picard, for all that I love him, is not the person to face down fear and make fear be the one who is afraid. Certainly Captain Archer is not. Though I do agree that Kirk and Sisko are the sorts who could fill that role.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    The main fun thing is who takes the Doctor's role in that. I'm thinking Spock for TOS, Data for TNG and Garak for DS9. Not sure who from Enterprise would get it.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

I'm not entirely sure this would have played better in many of the other series. Picard, for all that I love him, is not the person to face down fear and make fear be the one who is afraid. Certainly Captain Archer is not. Though I do agree that Kirk and Sisko are the sorts who could fill that role.

*scene opens with cryogenic pods opening revealing Chief O'Brien*
    Julian: what happened in there?
    O'Brien: Not sure. There was this one clown guy hopping around screaming "what's wrong with you? why aren't you scared?" and then just gave up and shut the whole system down. All i know is that was the best night of sleep i've ever had.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

Ah yes. That episode.

With the most deranged and dangerous creature to walk the delta quadrant.

And some strange clown

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I would like to see an RDM Trek. He’s part of many stories I love.

And I’ve said it before and I’ll say till my voice goes hoarse, if Trek wants to do a prequel series it should adapt The Lost Era. Give me an ensemble story following Sulu, Harriman, and Red Foreman Space President.

Just don't let him write the ending..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

Really? I see Picard doing that any day of the week. Picard is absolutely the kind of guy to calmly stare down an actual enemy. Plus you know Stewart would have knocked that shit out of the park. You replace The Doctor with Data, which is a side-grade since The Doctor is great. And Kim with, like, anyone and so it's instantly better.

• Options

Really? I see Picard doing that any day of the week. Picard is absolutely the kind of guy to calmly stare down an actual enemy. Plus you know Stewart would have knocked that shit out of the park. You replace The Doctor with Data, which is a side-grade since The Doctor is great. And Kim with, like, anyone and so it's instantly better.

And that monologue just screams Kirk, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw3zzMWOIvk

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Oh yeah. I can totally imagine Kirk, Picard or Sisko doing that same shit, just each in their own style.

This discussion has been closed.