As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek: Give Us Sexy Dolphins Now!!

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    That seemed to be the suggestion and that part I didn't like.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    That seemed to be the suggestion and that part I didn't like.

I mean, it kinda makes sense.
    To me it's more about what exactly was in her head. The Admonition seems to be an extremely powerful and disturbing set of memories from an incredibly ancient and powerful situation that most people who experience it don't survive.

The Borg assimilating that is just like the individuality memetic virus they considered spreading via Hugh in TNG.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    On a rewatch:

Am I the only one that's expecting Elnor to suggest putting some shrimps on the barbie and then complaining about space dingos eating his space babies?
    His vernacular is a little .. odd.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    To me it's more about what exactly was in her head. The Admonition seems to be an extremely powerful and disturbing set of memories from an incredibly ancient and powerful situation that most people who experience it don't survive.

The Borg assimilating that is just like the individuality memetic virus they considered spreading via Hugh in TNG.

Perhaps. It's just that....
    I really like the Borg (with the exception of a Queen, but it's canon now and Seven did well with it, so whatever). That whole bit that it shutdown the cube feels dangerously close to Worf'ng the Borg and as someone who loves the Borg as being this insanely dangerous menace, I don't want to see it happen.

I am resigning myself to it happening, though :).

Also, Voyager sucked.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I really like the Borg (with the exception of a Queen, but it's canon now and Seven did well with it, so whatever). That whole bit that it shutdown the cube feels dangerously close to Worf'ng the Borg and as someone who loves the Borg as being this insanely dangerous menace, I don't want to see it happen.

Also, Voyager sucked.

Can I say, that however much I have criticism for any particular Star Trek series, that I love how much they're honoring them anyway? I may have been disappointed with Voyager's lost potential, but I loved Seven and I love using the Borg lore from Voyager, and I even love using the terrible Borg queen lore to quality advantage. This is a beautiful dance with the lore and it's amazing.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Can I say, that however much I have criticism for any particular Star Trek series, that I love how much they're honoring them anyway? I may have been disappointed with Voyager's lost potential, but I loved Seven and I love using the Borg lore from Voyager, and I even love using the terrible Borg queen lore to quality advantage. This is a beautiful dance with the lore and it's amazing.
    Oh yeah, absolutely. I agree with that entirely. My only complaint was what I mentioned above, not that Seven is a part of it. As the other person said in a prior post, Chills during one specific part of this episode.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Me and my husband started watching TOS! It's amazing!

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Also, Voyager sucked.

On the whole I approve of the choice not to disregard anything just because fans didn't like it. In terms of heavy duty worldbuilding Picard takes primarily from the divisive 2009 film and the disliked Nemesis, but is using them to tell a so far interesting story.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Hmm, spoiler thoguht...
    What's the bet that when Annika/Seven of Nine's work is done, she'll go back to ruling the borg cube?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Hmm, spoiler thoguht...
    What's the bet that when Annika/Seven of Nine's work is done, she'll go back to ruling the borg cube?

Well I feel that that was the main internal conflict that they were telegraphing, however,
    since the borg released her once they had flushed the TalShiar, they might be hinting that if Seven comes back, it will be to rule in a more free-will capacity, indicating a setup for a new, "reformed" version of the borg under Seven, without the need for all the traumatic surgery and rehabilitation the XBs needed before

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I now want a show with 7 as the main character

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »

Jessica Jones: Neutral Zone

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    STO has
    the Borg Cooperative, made up of "liberated" Borg (what this show calls xBs).

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    So what was up with
    Picard calling for a Starfleet armada to meet them at DS12 and then bailing on them?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    So what was up with
    Picard calling for a Starfleet armada to meet them at DS12 and then bailing on them?
    That's before he knows about Oh, as soon as he does, NOPE

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    So what was up with

Change of plans due to circumstances I guess, though I wouldn't be surprised if it came back around in an 11th hour moment.
    though a Short Trek where the squadron with Admiral Clancy shows up at DS12 and he's not there after all that would be funny to me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Am I the only person who was like

What's the nearest starbase?

Deep Space... heartbeat intensifies ...12 soul crushed

Raised my hopes and dashed them expertly.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    New Romulan ships continue to look shit hot, y’all. Who you gotta betray to get one of those new bird-lookin’ whips?

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    New Romulan ships continue to look shit hot, y’all. Who you gotta betray to get one of those new bird-lookin’ whips?

Please, these are Romulans. They'll betray for a hot glass of kali-fal. Or just 'cause it's been a while and they're bored.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I didn't expect it to be
    Nine, I was just glad they mentioned the Deep Space stations at all. Continuity!

Besides, if it had been Nine, that means that the potentially threatening Federation fleet that might have orders to kill Soji would be crawling over my favorite DS station, so nope.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options

I didn't expect it to be
    Nine, I was just glad they mentioned the Deep Space stations at all. Continuity!

Besides, if it had been Nine, that means that the potentially threatening Federation fleet that might have orders to kill Soji would be crawling over my favorite DS station, so nope.

To be honest I just wanted to see it with that fresh coat of paint, the ships have all looked glorious on Picard so far.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Me and my husband started watching TOS! It's amazing!

The show is not nearly as, like, troubling and problematic as I was picturing, just based on its age also. Some stuff feels a little dated, certainly, but compared to other media of the time it's like a love letter to progress.

• Options
    Y'ALL THERE IS A DOG IN THIS EPISODE OF STAR TREK AND THEY ARE VERY GOOD

• Options
    Well, one of them is...

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Well, one of them is...
    oh nooooo space dog :cry:

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular

Yeah;
    While I knew it probably wouldn't happen, there was absolutely a part of me that was waiting for, "We can't go to Deep Space Twelve. Lay in a new course for ... Deep Space Nine".
    It probably would have been a bit hacky, and it's probably for the best they didn't, but the nostalgia based part of my brain would have clapped.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Picard would be no match for Angry Kira.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I wish they spread some of the stuff from the past couple episodes out more over the season. It feels like they're trying to cram stuff in before the season end so shit makes sense.

Like, I like the overall concepts, but it feels like the pacing's off on several fronts.
    Also Zhat Vash lady killed Hugh out of nowhere, she gon' die and I hope Elnor gets to do it.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

It sure seems like they are testing the waters for a Star Trek: Fenris Rangers and their friend Elnor show. I would be down, the biggest problem that I have had with Picard is that there are quite a few characters that I find interesting, but there are so many of them that none of them get enough time.

• Options
    Mudd's Women isn't a great episode but I fuckin love Long John Silver the Space Pimp so I guess it's a wash.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2020
    Mudd's Women isn't a great episode but I fuckin love Long John Silver the Space Pimp so I guess it's a wash.

I really like the last bit with the woman and the miner stuck together in his house in the storm. It's so raw and uncomfortable in a way Star Trek (good or bad) almost never is, almost like a little one-act play, like a mini "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf," with these two unpleasant characters just tearing strips out of each other for minute after minute. It's also interesting to me structurally, with the way the plot hinges entirely on these two guest characters having an epiphany, and the main cast barely involved in the climax at all.

As an overall episode it's definitely one of the ones that's aged the worst, with all the va-va-voom music and the camera just following the women's asses around, and the core theme that men are just sweaty rape beasts waiting to be unleashed, but I really like that last segment. Also, Mudd is great.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    So how long is it going to take Seven to
    resurrect all the dead Borg and ex Borg? Given that voyager episode where we learn death isn't a big deal for the Borg until more than 72 hours (or however long it was) have passed.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Noticed First Contact is on Prime, started watching it and had this great sense of deja vu, from the time I had first seen it and every time since, when Riker exclaims "Time travel!" and my past and current selves all thought "Wait, why didn't they just travel through time first and then fly to Earth to avoid this defensive fleet?"

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    1xx2raayjum41.jpg

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Goddamn First Contact and Voyager did such violence to the idea of the Borg. It's tragic.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Noticed First Contact is on Prime, started watching it and had this great sense of deja vu, from the time I had first seen it and every time since, when Riker exclaims "Time travel!" and my past and current selves all thought "Wait, why didn't they just travel through time first and then fly to Earth to avoid this defensive fleet?"

At least they didn't end up in WW2, where they would have been stuck in the Time traveler traffic jam behind all the other people that are either trying to kill of save Hitler, and that one guy who sounds like Riker and hates Gargoyles.

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

At least they didn't end up in WW2, where they would have been stuck in the Time traveler traffic jam behind all the other people that are either trying to kill of save Hitler, and that one guy who sounds like Riker and hates Gargoyles.

Nah he went back to 10th Century Scotland

Goliath was in WW2 tho

• Options
    Goddamn Capn Pike I dunno if saving all them kids was worth it D:

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Lots of good Data stories between season 4 and what I’ve seen of season 5 so far, with Silicon Avatar being my favorite. Also, just watched Disaster, which is almost skippable, except it has Worf delivering a baby so it’s a must.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    That aspect of Disaster is referenced in DS9 and it's great.

This discussion has been closed.