As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[New World] Where we ask the REAL questions! Like, "What is Launch?"

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    you are supposed to release LMB to keep the tension down/prevent the line from snapping, and then once its dropped you can continue reeling in

its not particularly compelling but i don't recall it being that bad

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    When I let go of the button, it instantly escapes.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    is this true?

that seems like a big bug if real

I don't know who bob is and not to just defend the game for it's problems, but if this is the buggiest mmo launch he's experienced then he couldn't have played that many mmos.

Besides queues, this is by far the smoothest mmo launch I've been a part of, but maybe that more so speaks to the initial state of most mmos.

edit: oops late to the party. I see a few have said the same thing. Glad I'm not the only one though. I've actually been fairly impressed with this launch.

to be clear I meant the respawn timer bug, the rest of it is definitely hyperbolic

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    one of my guild mates raves about how fun the fishing is so idk... i'm sure its all to taste.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    Played for another few hours last night.

Little tip - if you run into a cave to fight a named bear with a gold outline who is 6 levels above you, remember to plop a camp down first, thus avoiding a long run back after you have your face pulled off.

Also, no queues in the EU last night, which was nice.

I need a few more levels in area rep and I get my first house !

Does anyone know where you buy the spirit bits you need to make jewelry ? I have silver, but need one more part to refine my gems into a usable part. The description says faction vendor.

I'm level 13, still in the starter town.

The elemental motes come from harvesting elemental plants and mining elemental ores.

Ah, good- I have a way to go before I harvest them. Thanks.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    When I let go of the button, it instantly escapes.

You are definitely doing something wrong but I'm not certain what. You hold it down till it almost snaps, let go for a second to let it be less close to snapping, repeat.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I neglected to log in before leaving the house this afternoon. If I have queue times correct, I won't be in for 5 hours. Oof.

Where are those free transfers they offered?

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    I rolled a second toon on a low pop server. I keep telling myself it's only to try different weapon combinations.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eh, I have no interest in a second toon. That'll just burn me out faster. I'd roll entirely on a new server but A. all east coast servers have a queue it seems and B. I'd have to move a group of people and the logistics are a pain.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I replied and he, um, "clarified" that he didn't mean least playable he specifically meant buggiest which is still pretty lmao, but I have no interest in arguing with someone whose first step is moving goalposts.

I feel like whether people are willing to admit it or not, there is going to be a group of people who refuse to like the game solely based on the developer.

Also, in regards to fishing in games, I feel like that's one of those things you either enjoy or don't. I'm personally a big nerd about fishing in games for some reason. It'd be cool to see them make it worthwhile like WoW does and introduce it's own set of rewards.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    having fun with this game so far, it's an MMO in the same way that Runescape is an MMO. In fact there's a lot of parallels that could probably be drawn to runescape. Anyways without a subscription fee it feels like it'll be a fun game to play on the side off and on and see how things progress.

I swapped to fire staff/ice gauntlet after doing rapier/bow for the last few days and immediately found it 10000x easier to kill people lol

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Fire is sort of rough because one of the primary enemy types is resistant.

Also, always draw your weapon before you use a skill (unsheath is X I think). Otherwise some ground target skills cast as an aoe centered on your character. Very frustrating.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

Little tip - if you run into a cave to fight a named bear with a gold outline who is 6 levels above you, remember to plop a camp down first, thus avoiding a long run back after you have your face pulled off.

Does anyone know where you buy the spirit bits you need to make jewelry ? I have silver, but need one more part to refine my gems into a usable part. The description says faction vendor.

The elemental motes come from harvesting elemental plants and mining elemental ores.

@M-Vickers You can also get motes from salvaging staves and weapons that already have the ability granted from the mote. Life motes from life staffs, etc.

26904.png
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »

@M-Vickers You can also get motes from salvaging staves and weapons that already have the ability granted from the mote. Life motes from life staffs, etc.

Thanks !

I was actually close to being able to harvest them - I have a bunch, but none that match the one type of gems that I have.

I need Earth, and have everything but.

On the bright side, I made my first bag !

I also unlocked the ability to buy a house, and enough map rep to get a discount.

I’m short of gold, though, so that’ll take a while.

Fun so far, it’s just a shame Gamepass added a bunch of jrpgs today as I’m now spoilt for new games.

• Options
    it's a non-subscription game? what's the monetization plan? microtransactions? lots of DLC?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Well buy to play but there's also a store selling cosmetics. I'm sure there will be expansions down the road.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »

Thanks !

I was actually close to being able to harvest them - I have a bunch, but none that match the one type of gems that I have.

I need Earth, and have everything but.

On the bright side, I made my first bag !

I also unlocked the ability to buy a house, and enough map rep to get a discount.

I’m short of gold, though, so that’ll take a while.

Fun so far, it’s just a shame Gamepass added a bunch of jrpgs today as I’m now spoilt for new games.

The first house you buy you get half off. There is some suggestion that you should wait to be the 20k gold house for 10k therefore, rather than get the 10k for 5k.

• Options
    it's a non-subscription game? what's the monetization plan? microtransactions? lots of DLC?

It's a fairly light content MMO among others. Lots of reused skins and content, small map. It was somewhat cheaper to produce I'd imagine.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Ended up just buying a house in Everfall.
    GOxDazK.jpg
    DiXLNvj.jpg
    O6D41my.jpg
    OAQVa2g.jpg

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Besides the obvious disadvantage of not being in a larger group, is there any reason not to make your own one person Company just to have a fun name and neat logo attached to your character?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2021
    It's good that they have added 8x the servers now after the fact but was there really no way to foresee demand a little bit better?

I queue now for three hours and get disconnected due to lag spike immediately as I enter. I think my character is stuck in some gamebreaking way but it's hard to troubleshoot when you get one attempt every three hours (unless you're kicked from the queue).

With the new servers - I would gladly switch but I spent 6 hours on that character and my 6 friends have even more time played on their characters on that server. We picked the lowest population server available on launch day...

They really really fucked this up. I'd rather just give up than spend time doing the same thing for 6 hours again on a new server.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I just played for a bit and suddenly the game is now running significantly worse. It's chugging no matter where I am, efven when I trun the settings down.

Tons of input lag, too.

• Options
    OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular
    Some sort of pre-reg system for companies might have helped, and I think once a server got to like 3x capacity they should have done some sort of "you cannot create a character here" thing. It would have sucked to miss out rolling with friends, but at the same time if you spend 4+ out of 5 hours a night in the log-in queue, how much are you really playing with them anyway? Also, it would have kept servers like Valhalla from having queues 13+ full servers deep.

I'm on my third character now. I made one on Valgrind, hoping I could eventually join up/tag along with some of the folks here. But I'm not about that "wait 2+ hours to play a game" life, so I've made a couple others with low pop servers. The first one became another high-pop with a 1500+ queue. This last one on Dindymon or whatever that was added like yesterday has at least been no queue for over a day now, even during prime time last night. We'll see if it survives that way through the weekend.

Each one has gotten a different "starting zone" so at least it hasn't felt completely repetitive. Once things stabilize further and they open up xfers, hopefully I can join up with some folks.

Xbox Live: Oricalm
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    MMO launches are almost always a mess, especially for one with any amount of hype behind it.

Shit I still remember FFXIV’s relaunch. They didn’t have queues! Nor did they have an auto-disconnect for people AFK! People got in and stayed in. I had to make a login macro and I’d start it before I headed to work and when I got back I wasn’t always in game yet.

Good times.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    just don't have any friends so you can play on whatever server has the least population

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i wasnt able to play last night thanks to some chronic queue mismanagement and having to play another game...

but i did watch a video of a huge pvp battle and it looks both very cool and very oldschool at the same time

watching a big throng of people footracing through the countryside and then smashing into each other evokes memories of SWG for me

• Options
    I spent some time sieging a fortress. It's definitely very old school. Also I don't care what the guides tell you, you definitely need a ranged weapon if you want to PvP. It's so hard to actually kill someone with the survivability and running and healing.

• Options
    Complaint: many abilities are very clearly PvE or PvP useful only, and there's no easy, inexpensive way to swap if you're changing what you're doing. I'm poor as shit and that Respec cost hurts if you're thinking about doing it a couple times a day.

• Options
    I've yet to buy the game and I'm not sure when I will. But I do want to touch on one thing.

I've seen people complain about how the game was over-hyped. I would strongly disagree.

I'd been following the game since I made the thread and pretty much everything that came out about the game since that time was what I would call Anti-Hype.

Everywhere I went on the internet the most common thing I saw people say about the game was that it'd be Dead on Arrival and I agreed.

The Closed Beta didn't inspire confidence and while the Open Beta was better the highest praise I saw was that it was "Fine".

I'm honestly amazed at how many people picked the game up at launch all things considered and I honestly believe Amazon is too.

• Options
    Axen wrote: »
    I've yet to buy the game and I'm not sure when I will. But I do want to touch on one thing.

I've seen people complain about how the game was over-hyped. I would strongly disagree.

I'd been following the game since I made the thread and pretty much everything that came out about the game since that time was what I would call Anti-Hype.

Everywhere I went on the internet the most common thing I saw people say about the game was that it'd be Dead on Arrival and I agreed.

The Closed Beta didn't inspire confidence and while the Open Beta was better the highest praise I saw was that it was "Fine".

I'm honestly amazed at how many people picked the game up at launch all things considered and I honestly believe Amazon is too.

It doesn’t break any molds, true, but it’s fun.

Part of the hype, I think, it’s that it’s been a while since a big mmo came out.

As always, the test will be how many people are playing in a month, three months, etc.

Time will tell, buy I’m enjoying it and I’m looking forward to buying and decorating my first house.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Don't get me wrong, I know people are having fun and that is great. I've nothing against the game in general. I'm just personally amazed at how popular it turned out.

Hell, I've a buddy who is on the team and I had asked him about the game earlier this year and his response to me was, "Don't buy it".

So I can say with some certainty that Amazon probably did not have confidence in it.

Let's hope they can keep up the momentum because I know people love what they love about the game.

edit- If I got a problem with anything it is the people slamming the game for shit that is par for the course for MMO launches.

"They should have expected how many people would buy it and have enough servers!" Why would they have? Everything pointed to the game not selling well. They had plans in place to consolidate servers shortly after launch.

"They over-hyped the game!!!" Man, mother fuckers were shitting on the game every chance they got during the entirety of development for one reason or another whether made up or true. I don't think they even did that much marketing wise. Jesus! This thread is like 11 pages long and it was started in 2019! And I know full well how susceptible we PAers are to Hype.

Axen on
  • Options
    For me, it's $40 and no sub. I know I'll be bored in a month but honestly one week of launch hype with my friends is sometimes worth $40.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    unknown.png

They've been adding more and more servers and they keep filling up especially in EU. It seems like they underestimated how popular the launch was going to be.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I think it's really indicative of how hungry people are for a new long term MMO. FF14 is doing great, but it's a very specific kind of MMO and has almost no PvP element to speak of. Destiny 2 is on a roll right now as well but it's not really an MMO, more of a shared world looter shooter. We haven't had a big, well received MMO, with a heavy PvP element in a while. I think it speaks less to how good or bad New World is (my opinion: it's fine, nothing great, nothing terrible), but more to the hunger a certain segment of the gaming crowd has for a game in this vein.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I think it's really indicative of how hungry people are for a new long term MMO. FF14 is doing great, but it's a very specific kind of MMO and has almost no PvP element to speak of. Destiny 2 is on a roll right now as well but it's not really an MMO, more of a shared world looter shooter. We haven't had a big, well received MMO, with a heavy PvP element in a while. I think it speaks less to how good or bad New World is (my opinion: it's fine, nothing great, nothing terrible), but more to the hunger a certain segment of the gaming crowd has for a game in this vein.

Agree'd.

I know some people have been saying the traditional MMO is dead and stuff like Destiny or Division or What-Have-You are the future, but I think New World disproves that. Actually I'm pretty sure people said this exact thing to predict New World's failure.

Turns out there is absolutely a decent market out there hungry for a new MMO. Any MMO.

• Options
    I think it's a little early to declare New World to be an unqualified success but it does seem to have a decent amount of launch interest

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    It's kind of funny that AWS, the world's top provider of scalable infra, couldn't scale their MMO that fast.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I think it's a little early to declare New World to be an unqualified success but it does seem to have a decent amount of launch interest

Long term success? Who knows.

But launch? Way beyond anyone's expectations I'd say. Presently it is topping CS:GO on the Steam Charts.

edit- It is a game that, near as far as I can tell, most everyone agrees is "Fine" and it is beating CS:GO for players at the moment. 800k last I checked on Steam.

That is a lot.

Axen on
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

Long term success? Who knows.

But launch? Way beyond anyone's expectations I'd say. Presently it is topping CS:GO on the Steam Charts.

edit- It is a game that, near as far as I can tell, most everyone agrees is "Fine" and it is beating CS:GO for players at the moment. 800k last I checked on Steam.

That is a lot.

I'm not sure all those players have gotten to play or if the numbers are padded by people too afraid to log out or sitting in queus. :P

• Options
    Realizing there's nothing built in to cause the top two factions to fight each other rather than keep picking on the most beat up faction.