As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chris Terrio, [Rise of Skywalker] writer, shops at Goop.com - open spoilers!

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Rogue One still has the best star battle of the new movies.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Rey absolutely doesn't need to be a Palpatine to "make sense"

All she needs to be is a person

the force has never actually worked like that though. you don't just face off with vader jr. untrained and live to tell the tale unless you're more than just a force-sensitive ex-stormtrooper

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »

the force has never actually worked like that though. you don't just face off with vader jr. untrained and live to tell the tale unless you're more than just a force-sensitive ex-stormtrooper

I could not give a shit about power levels hoss this argument holds no water

The Force can manifest in whoever it wants and to the degree it wants, it absolutely does not need to be hereditary

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Rogue One still has the best star battle of the new movies.

It actually has my favorite combination of ground, air, and space battles, period. It felt like the three were intimately connected at all times, with well-paced, plot-driven action beats that had some truly memorable moments.

Fuck it I’m going to watch Rogue One right now.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Love to have this big four-decade-old series taking place in this big vast universe and only ever focusing on two straight white families because if even a slightly bigger risk is ever taken once, 40% of the fans absolutely lose their fucking minds and wonder why you'd ever bother

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Even if that were true (it isn't) it's a deeply, deeply stupid idea and part of the worst parts of the fanbases tendency to make Lore and Established Canon more important than anything, especially thematic sense.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

The Force can manifest in whoever it wants and to the degree it wants, it absolutely does not need to be hereditary

no, but the series is all about legacy

could they have satisfyingly made a star wars finale with rey as still just Rey Nobody?

sure

but they went with the satisfying one with Rey Palpatine

and hey i was sad they walked back on finn and rose but you can't always get what you want can ya

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Love to have this big four-decade-old series taking place in this big vast universe and only ever focusing on two straight white families because if even a slightly bigger risk is ever taken once, 40% of the fans absolutely lose their fucking minds and wonder why you'd ever bother

It’s the thing where you’re a chance-taking game-changer at the jump but then you fall into your own formulaic trap because the outlandish level of success you’ve achieved is now something you can’t risk losing. There’s a term for that, surely.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    Man it's dumb as shit I don't care to argue this with you

• Options

no, but the series is all about legacy

could they have satisfyingly made a star wars finale with rey as still just Rey Nobody?

sure

but they went with the satisfying one with Rey Palpatine

and hey i was sad they walked back on finn and rose but you can't always get what you want can ya

The idea that legacy is based on acts and casting a light forward into the dark is a hell of of a lot better than the idea of legacy as a genetic predisposition to wizardry and plot relevance.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    People who force (heh) legacy and birthright and blood into a place it actually fundamentally does not belong is, well, just not a good message to send, period!

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    "Anybody can be a hero and family/inheritance isn't the most important thing to being able to achieve greatness or happiness? sounds fake, can't have that even in fictional films"

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    The reveal of Luke and Vader being related was NOT about establishing the importance of birthright. It was about redemption and how close you can come to becoming what you fear and hate - a parent/child bond DOES work to tell that story. I get that they tried to repeat this with Rey being related to Palpatine, but imho they failed because they reveal it and resolve it with basically no space for this to grow into a more interesting conflict.

But making greatness a genetic trait? Genetics defining greatness?

I mean, surely folks can understand why this extension from the original Luke/Vader parent/child conflict is bad?

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    The one justification I can think of for Rey Palpatine that kinda works is how quickly Rey reaches for the dark side in TLJ. BUT EVEN THEN, it implies then that EVIL is inherently genetic - she was never raised by Palpatine or had any time with him to have influenced her. It’s arguing strongly that evil is in one’s nature.

They could have potentially established a similar conflict re: temptation to the dark side a number of other ways. It didn’t have to be lineage.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    The little "ok lads now it's on" shrug that Kylo does when he outs with the surprise lightsaber...

Chef kiss

This is definitely the best part of the movie, that was really great.

I liked it, but felt it was rushed. It's definitely trying to fit too much movie into one movie.

I think people saying it's worse than the prequels are out of their damn minds.

• Options
    While I'm grinding axes, I guess, I really hate how the light speed ramming became some sort of "sign" of how dumb TLJ was because it was a Cinema-Sins ding moment instead of being remembered as both thematically appropriate and visually awe-inspiring

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    alright i feel you

but you could also argue rey's most important powers don't come from her biological family at all

the thing can't send every message to every one. it's about legacy but it's about choosing which legacy you take on. it's about power but power through connection and life as opposed to control and glory.

it's not about white supremacy unless the series as a whole is. the rise of skywalker did not establish the most powerful force users as inheriting their ability. it could have subverted it but it didn't. it subverted a bunch of other toxic shit instead

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Rey being nobody makes for a far more satisfying movie than suddenly having Palpatine jammed into the movie.

Kylo still tries to turn her, but now her emotions have a better source: being sold by her parents on some backwater world so they could get a ship to take them off-world. Maybe the Sith planet has secret weapons so you still have the race to find the planet and Kylo gets there first so you get a big cgi space fight.

And it makes the fucking ending MEAN something, because Rey learns to let go of her parents and understand what family truly is. As is, her name isn’t just Rey because she has parents and they were good people protecting and ugdhduwhdiehdi.

Worst of all, we have to live with this knowledge: Palpatine fucks. Don’t come at me with this clone shit. Palpy had horrible Sith sex and that night of eldritch passion is canon.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    There were things I did like:
    - Ben’s surprise lightsaber, having been set up multiple times in the movie
    - Adam Driver’s acting chops
    - the music
    - Rey’s new lightsaber
    - Rey in Red-5

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    Nitpick: No one said lock S foils in attack position.

And she was flying through the red maelstrom with them in attack position!

• Options
    milski wrote: »
    While I'm grinding axes, I guess, I really hate how the light speed ramming became some sort of "sign" of how dumb TLJ was because it was a Cinema-Sins ding moment instead of being remembered as both thematically appropriate and visually awe-inspiring

Okay what did they do with the Holdo maneuver did someone in the movie call it out or what

• Options

Okay what did they do with the Holdo maneuver did someone in the movie call it out or what

Iirc they handwaved why it won't work again

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    OK here's my review

I'M MAD

I'm like hopping mad and there was only one genuine moment I liked in this movie and that is when they let Adam Driver do a genuine acting thing with Han

That's it

End

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Sterica wrote: »
    Rey being nobody makes for a far more satisfying movie than suddenly having Palpatine jammed into the movie.

Kylo still tries to turn her, but now her emotions have a better source: being sold by her parents on some backwater world so they could get a ship to take them off-world. Maybe the Sith planet has secret weapons so you still have the race to find the planet and Kylo gets there first so you get a big cgi space fight.

And it makes the fucking ending MEAN something, because Rey learns to let go of her parents and understand what family truly is. As is, her name isn’t just Rey because she has parents and they were good people protecting and ugdhduwhdiehdi.

They completely missed an opportunity for Rey to basically realize that “well fine, my parents were shitty no ones, but me? I won’t be them. I not going to be no one, I’m going to be someone.”

Imagine the impact that message could’ve had, especially if even Rey herself wanted to believe she was born from some Big Name, only to have the disappointment land in TLJ, and then this movie could’ve been about resolving to rise to the occasion not because you are beholden to some legacy, but because you CHOSE to, because YOU could. That’s an infinitely more empowering message, AND it’s fundamentally different to the original trilogy - we’ve already seen the damn story of fearing that your power will lead you astray like your dad did. We don’t need to see it again! Instead, this one is more about facing your own demons (not your family’s, YOURS) and about self-determination.

Fuck now I’m all mad this didn’t happen.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Nitpick: No one said lock S foils in attack position.

And she was flying through the red maelstrom with them in attack position!

@Blake T said exactly the same thing!!!

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Oh this was uh

Hm

This was real bad; it had worse pacing, framing, and editing than any other Star Wars movie by a long shot, and it lacked the thematic cohesion that was one of the saving graces of even the worst pictures in the franchise. I have seen some stinkers this year in terms of big blockbusters and I don't know if this is the worst but it's definitely the one that most terribly squandered the potential of its premise, its setting, and the movie that came before. They didn't give Daisy Ridley any scenes in which she was allowed to act, I'm so mad at that

The first forty-five minutes is just a long series of "Hey we need a thing!" and then another character going "Hey here's the thing" or else "Hey I have a thing" leading to "Here you need this thing, take it"

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Oh, also, since when do TIE Fighters have hyperdrives?

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Speaking of the Holdo maneuver

I couldn’t help but feel that Palpatine’s lightning storm scene was kinda trying to recreate that, but it just didn’t quite hit the mark.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    There were things I did like:
    - Ben’s surprise lightsaber, having been set up multiple times in the movie
    - Adam Driver’s acting chops
    - the music
    - Rey’s new lightsaber
    - Rey in Red-5

Also, they did a good close-up of the hilt of Leia's lightsaber, so at least people who want to cosplay Jedi-training Leia have something to work from now.

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »

I couldn’t help but feel that Palpatine’s lightning storm scene was kinda trying to recreate that, but it just didn’t quite hit the mark.

The Holdo Maneuver was probably the most beautiful single shot in Star Wars; it was genuinely, really artful

Palpatine's Force Storm was like watching Ghidorah fight the air force in King of the Monsters, except it was even more pointless because nobody died

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also we need to name the thing where a Disney movie has two gay background characters kiss and lets the camera stay on them a hair longer so we don’t miss The Representation.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Iirc they handwaved why it won't work again
    That was hilarious.
    "We should do the Holdo maneuver!"
    "That won't work, it was a one in a million shot."

MF'ers, there were LINES of Star Destroyers barely moving that couldn't transit out.

Oh, also, since when do TIE Fighters have hyperdrives?
    This bugged me far more than it should've. I really hate myself for caring about it. That and light speed skipping. What?

• Options
    I liked light speed skipping. Just "I don't care, hit the button, fucking gooooo oh god we're inside a volcano fucking hit it again ahhhhh" is a fun concept

But TIE fighters don't have hyperdrives!

• Options
    edited December 2019
    surely the dumbest thing was rey figuring out the dagger is a perspective puzzle in the exact position she needed to be to solve the puzzle

edit: i'd have cut most of that endor moon shit out. just start with rey on the skimmer heading over. no space horses at all, no loss

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    I liked light speed skipping. Just "I don't care, hit the button, fucking gooooo oh god we're inside a volcano fucking hit it again ahhhhh" is a fun concept

But TIE fighters don't have hyperdrives!

Yeah, the hyperdrives in the TIE's were exponentially worse to me than the Falcon skipping. I hate myself.

Also, I was waiting for someone to use the term God-Emperor based on how Sheev looked / how he was connected to that metal arm.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    The thing is, even ignoring that I hated every plot point and retcon and absurd tie in they did, I'm sure that this was just a bad movie? Shot poorly, cut like a maniac, with absolutely no room to breathe

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    surely the dumbest thing was rey figuring out the dagger is a perspective puzzle in the exact position she needed to be to solve the puzzle

edit: i'd have cut most of that endor moon shit out. just start with rey on the skimmer heading over. no space horses at all, no loss

Yeah. Both Blake and I were still mad about this when we woke up this morning. It’s comical HOW MUCH it bothered both of us.

Edit: that said, without the space horses, you wouldn’t have met Rose’s less controversial replacement and gotten to witness her literally only interact meaningfully with the other black people in the movie!

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    I stared at the screen, mouth agape, when Palpatine explained that he was the embodiment of all Sith who had ever lived and that if she killed him then he would soul transfer into Rey and assimilate her

When he said to the audience "I am every Sith," I quietly begged God "no" for the seventeen seconds—the longest period of time in this movie not punctuated by an explosion—before Rey replied "And I am every Jedi" because she was literally the embodiment of every Jedi who had ever lived

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »

The Holdo Maneuver was probably the most beautiful single shot in Star Wars; it was genuinely, really artful

Palpatine's Force Storm was like watching Ghidorah fight the air force in King of the Monsters, except it was even more pointless because nobody died

When The Holdo Maneuver happened in TLJ, the entire theater was rendered perfectly silent. I quietly said holy shit under my breath, and the guy next to me, who I didn't know, responded with an affirmative holy shit.

milski on
    I ate an engineer