As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Stay Alert Home Alert Stay Household

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Speaking of oh the huge manatee, I can’t help noticing that the overall reaction to the news has gone from initial shock to a flood of people saying “But did he ACTUALLY test positive or is he claiming he tested positive so he gets to hide for the rest of this crisis?”

It’s not just twitter randos either. This is from a political sketch writer and columnist for The Independent.

Honestly the very fact that so many people can speculate on this and that it can’t be dismissed outright really illustrates what a pathetically low amount of credibility Johnson has.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's "so many people" on Twitter, which isn't really a reliable measure of anything. I mean yes he has a credibility problem but he also won the general election handily so it's not like his personal brand of Bullshit Artist But Lovable To People You've Never Met But Presumably Exist Somewhere hasn't proven to be teflon.

• Options
    That’s a good point. Never a good idea to mistake twitter for reality.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Gotta laugh at the reply to that tweet which asks in a stroppy why he got a test. He's the fucking PM, you dolt.

A dead PM isn't going to make this shit any easier and Dominic Raab is the guy who'd step in if Johnson keeled over so fingers crossed he's OK.

It's the same people who complained that Prince Charles got a test.

He's the next in line to the throne. Unless we get rid of the monarchy.....they get privileges.

• Options
    If Farage gets it I’ll laugh like a drain, though.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Gotta laugh at the reply to that tweet which asks in a stroppy why he got a test. He's the fucking PM, you dolt.

A dead PM isn't going to make this shit any easier and Dominic Raab is the guy who'd step in if Johnson keeled over so fingers crossed he's OK.

What if they both got it and died?

Like, with the royals, if Elizabeth and Charles both keeled over, you still have Princes William and then George right there. If the top two Tories drop dead, is it just knife-fighting then?

• Options
    Mayabird wrote: »

What if they both got it and died?

Like, with the royals, if Elizabeth and Charles both keeled over, you still have Princes William and then George right there. If the top two Tories drop dead, is it just knife-fighting then?

The top fifty candidates in the present Tory party are not an appetising bunch.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    straight from the horse's mouth
    I'd like to move to have the word 'mouth' changed to a more appropriate orifice.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Sky News' political editor says Matt Hancock MP has also tested positive.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    It's going to be the whole cabinet surely, probably most of Downing Street as well.

In lighter news: Mystery man buys entire village fish and chips
    He wanted to do something to bring the village together and highlight the importance of local pubs. The whole village is getting one take away a week for the next 12 weeks - might end up being a roast or a curry some days.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Guardian is reporting that Dominic Cummings was captured on cameras running from Downing Street with a rucksack.

edit:

OldSlacker on
  • Options
    Guardian is reporting that Dominic Cummings was captured on cameras running from Downing Street with a rucksack.

edit:

JFC I thought you were just joking! Sky has video!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    That's not suspicious at all...

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I suspect he nicked a laptop and a screen so he could work from home.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Speaking of oh the huge manatee, I can’t help noticing that the overall reaction to the news has gone from initial shock to a flood of people saying “But did he ACTUALLY test positive or is he claiming he tested positive so he gets to hide for the rest of this crisis?”

It’s not just twitter randos either. This is from a political sketch writer and columnist for The Independent.

Honestly the very fact that so many people can speculate on this and that it can’t be dismissed outright really illustrates what a pathetically low amount of credibility Johnson has.

What basis does Tom Peck have for asking he's lying other than "sometimes people lie"

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

What basis does Tom Peck have for asking he's lying other than "sometimes people lie"

sometimes people lie, and this particular person has been known to lie more often than they tell the truth.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    I think Peck wasn’t entirely serious when he said that.

• Options

Other than Johnson being the first Prime Minister in history who was fired from two previous jobs for lying, who has a history of ducking out of public sight since he was elected just months ago and whose administration lied YESTERDAY by claiming they didn't get an email with an invitation to an EU-wide medical equipment procurement programme?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

Maybe he should wind his neck in then

I don't like Boris Johnson at all but I don't think talk like that is really what we need right now. Too many people already believe conspiracy theories about this pandemic already

Solar on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Reminder this is a man who hid inside a fridge to avoid answering a question

Edit: I'm not saying I believe he's lying. I just like to remember that Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Boris Johnson hid inside a fridge.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Maybe he should wind his neck in then

I don't like Boris Johnson at all but I don't think talk like that is really what we need right now. Too many people already believe conspiracy theories about this pandemic already

I don't think questioning if Johnson is telling a lie to avoid public scrutiny is a conspiracy theory so much as speculating based on a wealth of examples of him doing exactly that.

*edit* Besides, it's settled anyway since Hancock has it too so it must be a real outbreak.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    Peck is a noted idiot but questioning whether a habitual liar is lying is fine IMO.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    At this point I've seen enough well circulated conspiracy theories on Twitter, with people buying in and mocking those who don't agree, that I just assume dumb conspiracy theories are part of the signal:noise ratio you get for reading Twitter.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The thing is that it's very easy to rationalize people like Cummings saying "If you say you're sick you're just like them, and then you can defiantly fight on to protect the people! It'll play great during the next election".

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I mean as PM he has a large amount of social contacts and there’s a pandemic going on. I’d be shocked if he didn’t get it at some point.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    It's now seven UK-based F1 teams getting on on ventilator production. https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.uk-based-f1-teams-unite-around-project-pitlane-to-assist-with-ventilator.7G8gQu9v8j6aSgqk3P52fp.html
    As confirmed today by The UK Government, during the past two weeks a collective of seven UK-based Formula 1 teams,* their respective technology arms and Formula 1 has made significant progress in defining and coordinating its response to the UK Government’s call for assistance with the manufacture of medical devices to help in the treatment of COVID-19 patients.

The seven teams’ combined efforts, termed ‘Project Pitlane’, are part of a UK industry-wide effort to manufacture and deliver respiratory devices to support the national need.

Following decisions taken this week by the UK Government, Project Pitlane is focussed on three workstreams. These workstreams vary in scope from reverse engineering existing medical devices, to support in scaling the production of existing ventilator designs as part of the VentilatorChallengeUK consortium, to the rapid design and prototype manufacture of a new device for certification and subsequent production.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Meanwhile, more evidence continues to emerge of the tories deliberately ignoring advice and running the NHS into the ground in ways that left it particularly unprepared for a pandemic exactly like this.
    The Department of Health rejected high-level medical advice about providing NHS staff with certain protective equipment during an influenza pandemic because stockpiling it would be too expensive, the Guardian can reveal.

Documents show that officials working under former health secretary Jeremy Hunt told medical advisers three years ago to “reconsider” a formal recommendation that eye protection should be provided to all healthcare professionals who have close contact with pandemic influenza patients.

The expert advice was watered down after an “economic assessment” found a medical recommendation about providing visors or safety glasses to all hospital, ambulance and social care staff who have close contact with pandemic influenza patients would “substantially increase” the costs of stockpiling.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/advice-on-protective-gear-for-nhs-staff-was-rejected-owing-to-cost

On the one hand, it's reassuring that parts of the health service were planning for events like this. On the other hand, that's not much good if the advice is ignored.

altid on
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Are they trying to make sure 60-80% of the cabinet has been infected so the rest are safe. That's how this works right?

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Note the Boris's tweet today announcing his covid status said he came down with symptoms and was tested. So it is time for every bodies favorite game: "How long was he asymptomatic and infecting the folks around him?"

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Purely in the spirit of inquiry, when did Boris last meet the Queen?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    (as stupid as shaking hands with everyone is, Boris Johnson did not visit a hospital that - officially, at least - had coronavirus patients in it. That snippet was debunked a little while ago, unless the hospital was concealing its coronavirus patients)

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

The 11th iirc

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    klemming wrote: »

The 11th iirc

:bigfrown:

John Matrix on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    Meanwhile, more evidence continues to emerge of the tories deliberately ignoring advice and running the NHS into the ground in ways that left it particularly unprepared for a pandemic exactly like this.
    The Department of Health rejected high-level medical advice about providing NHS staff with certain protective equipment during an influenza pandemic because stockpiling it would be too expensive, the Guardian can reveal.

Documents show that officials working under former health secretary Jeremy Hunt told medical advisers three years ago to “reconsider” a formal recommendation that eye protection should be provided to all healthcare professionals who have close contact with pandemic influenza patients.

The expert advice was watered down after an “economic assessment” found a medical recommendation about providing visors or safety glasses to all hospital, ambulance and social care staff who have close contact with pandemic influenza patients would “substantially increase” the costs of stockpiling.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/advice-on-protective-gear-for-nhs-staff-was-rejected-owing-to-cost

On the one hand, it's reassuring that parts of the health service were planning for events like this. On the other hand, that's not much good if the advice is ignored.

And instead the NHS is begging for help from anyone they can turn to:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MedFet_UK/status/1243590308878848002

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Holy shit.

• Options
    Much stricter restrictions placed on Ireland as of midnight tonight until April 11th. We're to stay apart and within 2km of our home, staying in our homes as much as possible. Video from RTE News. Overall the emphasis was on the fact that the current restrictions are helping and that this is a final big push to stop the spread.

Transport has also been scaled back, but that's due to a lack of demand as travel has fallen off massively since the initial restrictions were put in place.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

For those without twitter, MedFetUK is a supplier of medical outfits and paraphernalia to those with a doctors/nurses fetish (and presumably also a fetish for authenticity) and also apparently an NHS supplier of last resort.
    I know that because I read the link, honest.

Holy shit indeed.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

For those without twitter, MedFetUK is a supplier of medical outfits and paraphernalia to those with a doctors/nurses fetish (and presumably also a fetish for authenticity) and also apparently an NHS supplier of last resort.
    I know that because I read the link, honest.

Holy shit indeed.

At least if the NHS needs an emergency influx of speculums, they'll have a company with which they've established a convivial rapport.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

The important thing to note was that he was lying. There were no coronavirus patients in the hospital.

That casual, nothing, lie anchored people I to thinking there was nothing to worry about

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
This discussion has been closed.