Options

PC Games - Adore EA & Corruption 2029 out today!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    That sounds interesting insofar as it felt somewhat easy to just kind of turn on a dime and become "better" immediately from the start of the game

I don't know if it sounds fun, but also fun can be a weird concept when it comes to narratives like that

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Middle Earth: Shadow of War

Loading...?

• Options
    DiRT Rally 2.0

Loading...?

• Options
    Street Fighter V

Loading...?

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Wasteland 2: Director's Cut

initial thoughts
    - game feels cheaply made
    - I start exploring the Wasteland and almost immediately run into 4 gila monsters with 80 health each. I am under-equipped for this
    - combat feels somewhere between pretty good and great.
    - - I like that I can see the grid easily
    - - but it has a full AP system, so the blue/yellow feels misleading (there's a term here I'm forgetting. 2 APT or something?)
    - - unlike Shadowrun, the inventory screen tells me the effective range(s) of the weapons
    - - but I don't see a range indicator on the combat screen. I'm assuming 1 tile = 1 meter
    - - showing the fire cone is a nice touch.
    - - enemy information is lacking, probably
    - - cover appears to be a mechanical bonus, with no basis in logic. (i.e., a fence facing east seems to give me +10% cth to the west)
    - I like the water system.
    - The world map screen is swell
    - - that said, the ranger medal icon is over large and not great
    - - on the other hand, I particularly like how the oases and radiation markers (etc) appear on the ground
    - - picking up 'random' radio broadcasts is neat, but I feel they are neither localized nor integrated
    - I can't exactly blame them for this (because nearly all RPGs do it) but it's going to bug me that Ms. Deth has been with the rangers for 15 years, but is only level 7. I suspect before a year has passed in game time, I'll be significantly higher.
    - I really like the ability screen. Shades of Mass Effect 1 and Shadowrun. I'm not sure if there's an industry term for it, but I really like the 'milestones' concept
    - bothered a bit that it let me select multiple copies of the same 'character' during setup

not sure I'll be sticking with this one. Might give it a few more hours to grab me.

Tamin on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I wonder how that dude gets data. PC sales data has to be wizarded together, since noone of note gives numbers. (Steam, Epic, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, GOG and Rockstar all at best hint at things)
    And I would imagine PC sales are now 95% digital.

I spent a bit more in 2nd half of 2019 because a new PC had me desiring shinies.

But I can see Gamepass and 2 years of epic games, and Twitch Prime games combining into less impulse buys, since if I have jrpg cravings I can just check what I got already and never touched...

(And then play Battlechasers for 10 hours and lose the craving)

Based on the statement I'd hazard it's tracking consumer spend from sampling on the consumer side coupled with public shareholder disclosures; while we won't have sales of individual games, we can cobble together industry total spending.

So long as you're using roughly the same methodology year-on-year, you can pull out trends such as reduced consumer spending. So long as there isn't dramatically different economic conditions, they should be comparable.

However, EGS free games would not be tracked as consumer spending, although they would be industry economic activity -money would flow to Developers from Epic directly, moving money around. Game pass would be similar, moving money from MS.

However the claim posits that the reduced consumer spend is from fracturing the market, which, given the above, may be true. However, there was also other factors to consider, such as the lack of huge tentpole releases; Borderlands 3 was probably the biggest AAA headliner of the year (that isn't an annual sports title) and other than that... Fallen Order? There just wasn't the usual raft of big release congestion last year as everyone is holding fire to hit the next generation consoles when they roll out next year. And plenty of consumers will also be holding on to their money, thinking about next year's consoles as well

In short, while I'm relatively comfortable that it is possible to get pretty good total numbers for total consumer spend, there's a whole lot of spurious assumption going on before I'd put that at the feet of 'the great PC platform distribution wars' without some pretty serious evidence.

And then phasing it as 'not doing any favours' for consumer spending rather than 'consumers got more for their money in 2019 thanks to competition'.

It's just a useless analysis.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Hobnail prob played or would play the bagpipesman in Napoleonic Wars

I looooove playing musicians in Holdfast: Nations at War. The cool thing is the musicians actually provide buffs to nearby players! Also I get to play Highland Laddie under heavy enemy fire and pretend to be The Lone Piper.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    Oh my word

"Wanna hear a limerick?"
    "Sure."
    "Lambert, Lambert, what a prick."

this entire sequence with the whole family is gold

just make sure to get as drunk as possible whenever the opportunity arises

Smof's Geralt has the tattoo. I don't think getting hammered will be a problem.

It's kind of weird how Yen hasn't commented on the tattoo. She complimented me on my beard.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I don't think i'm going to bother with Arkham Knight. I just played through Origins so i'm used to traveling around the city as Batman, not as his stupid-ass tank. The map being built for the tank means it's not fun to explore as Batman so there's no reason to play.

At least the free Epic version I got has all the DLC in it. Quinn's was too short but Batwoman's seems like it has a big area to move around in. I'll do that then Catwoman's and call it good.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Lego Batmans best Batmans.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I wonder how that dude gets data. PC sales data has to be wizarded together, since noone of note gives numbers. (Steam, Epic, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, GOG and Rockstar all at best hint at things)
    And I would imagine PC sales are now 95% digital.

I spent a bit more in 2nd half of 2019 because a new PC had me desiring shinies.

But I can see Gamepass and 2 years of epic games, and Twitch Prime games combining into less impulse buys, since if I have jrpg cravings I can just check what I got already and never touched...

(And then play Battlechasers for 10 hours and lose the craving)

Also Humble Bundle.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I really appreciate how so far every interaction I've had with witch hunters has had the option for it to end with me killing them all. Even the missions where I'm supposedly cooperating with them.

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Late to reply but Overwatch's lack of private servers made me hate it from the start.

It is distinctly not really a social game for large groups just.... small ones.

Boo at that, plus isn't PMaver's server still runnin' for TF2? It's still just as great as it's always been! We should have a TF2 party night again.

Plus no amount of drinking truly affected my TF2 gameplay but in Overwatch my SR would just fall, fall and fall.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I finally got tired of looking stupid and cheated some of the grandmaster armor for my replay. Witcher 3 is a very good game but the whole loot/crafting/money system is a disaster

Honestly my opinion of TW3 was that almost every gameplay system felt too obviously "game-y" for a game that otherwise did a great job feeling like a realized, complex world

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Oh my word

"Wanna hear a limerick?"
    "Sure."
    "Lambert, Lambert, what a prick."

• Options
    Spooky

• Options
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    You can get each of the Magic Carpet games on GOG for a $1.49.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

magic carpet is a series I'd love to see re-mastered / re-made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bANf0CXO0S8

as it is though it's hard to go back to

those games have some incredibly short draw distances and some real wonky AI

it was a real fresh idea though, and honestly a weird genre-bender that I think could be a lot of fun if people came back to it with 2020 tech

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I really appreciate how so far every interaction I've had with witch hunters has had the option for it to end with me killing them all. Even the missions where I'm supposedly cooperating with them.

I was tempted to start a goddamn massacre every time I got to the market square in Novigrad

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bANf0CXO0S8

as it is though it's hard to go back to

those games have some incredibly short draw distances and some real wonky AI

it was a real fresh idea though, and honestly a weird genre-bender that I think could be a lot of fun if people came back to it with 2020 tech

The game has such atmosphere.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah I had some really good times with Magic Carpet back in the day.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Really miss the days of old-school Bullfrog, that era before Peter Molyneux earned a reputation of being an overpromising charlatan.

• Options
    Magic carpet
    Syndicate
    Dungeon keeper
    Populous
    Theme park
    Theme hospital

Some classics right there

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    yaaaay i got warhammer 2 to run and with almost all my old mods active too :D

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Magic carpet
    Syndicate
    Dungeon keeper
    Populous
    Theme park
    Theme hospital

You left off Hi-Octane!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8m58KBhkzw

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Syndicate was amazing. I loved using the persuadotron to just gather huge crowds of people.

I think the time ciuld be ripe for a remaster.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Maybe I'm not reading this right but to me it looks like, "PC games distributors decided to be shittier to customers, customers responded by spending less on their shittier platforms."

Which seems like a natural consequence I can only imagine will be wildly misunderstood.

Unrelated, I despise activision but I remember liking Call of Duty a lot before I was expected to buy a new one every year. If anyone knows, is Blackout in Codblops 4 A. not a pay to win hellhole and B. got enough legs to be worth actually picking up?

Blackout has only cosmetic MTX

Hmm, that's good to know, but it does it have legs, as a game? I might pick it up, particularly if it were on sale, if I expected to be able to play it for some time.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Maybe I'm not reading this right but to me it looks like, "PC games distributors decided to be shittier to customers, customers responded by spending less on their shittier platforms."

Which seems like a natural consequence I can only imagine will be wildly misunderstood.

Unrelated, I despise activision but I remember liking Call of Duty a lot before I was expected to buy a new one every year. If anyone knows, is Blackout in Codblops 4 A. not a pay to win hellhole and B. got enough legs to be worth actually picking up?

Blackout has only cosmetic MTX

Hmm, that's good to know, but it does it have legs, as a game? I might pick it up, particularly if it were on sale, if I expected to be able to play it for some time.

It was cool when it first came out. Then Apex Legends was released and completely ate its lunch, in my opinion. There are certainly differences, but they're both kind of arcade-y battle royales.

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Syndicate was amazing. I loved using the persuadotron to just gather huge crowds of people.

I think the time ciuld be ripe for a remaster.

I think EA lost interest in the property after they turned it into a first-person shooter back in 2012 and didn't sell very well.

Satellite Reign was produced by one of the leads on Syndicate Wars but I didn't think it's world was as interesting.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2020
    e: actually nevermind the dumbass is probably following the old "no such thing as bad publicity" logic so better not to give him any brain space

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Aw man, now I'm going spend the rest of the day wondering who you are referring to.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Magic carpet
    Syndicate
    Dungeon keeper
    Populous
    Theme park
    Theme hospital

You left off Hi-Octane!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8m58KBhkzw

My childhood illusions were shattered regarding this game thanks to gamedev twitter:

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Whenever anyone gets a new PC I still say "you going to boot up magic carpet, put that thing through its paces?"

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Aw man, now I'm going spend the rest of the day wondering who you are referring to.

some jabroni who files frivolous law suits constantly sued a game publisher for muting him in chat in their game and got his case thrown out

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    What if they made a Kerbal game but instead of space it's the bottom of the ocean

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I found a game I used to love as a kid on GoG through random browsing.

Chaos Overlords

Turn based game where you’re a kingpin of a future gang.

I was able to get it going on Windows 10, there is just one graphical anomaly where whatever you have selected doesn’t load the image.

Is there some other method to play old games or should I try just do a XP VM

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Huh, I have literally never heard of Magic Carpet. Was that mainly a UK/Aus/NZ thing?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Huh, I have literally never heard of Magic Carpet. Was that mainly a UK/Aus/NZ thing?

It's a Bullfrog game, so maybe? I know it was a ridiculously tough game to run when it came out, think it needed an MMX processor or some shit. Ridonk.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Is it harder to run than crysis?

This discussion has been closed.