• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    It seems the goal here is pretty clear, looking at our correspondence. His office is short on funds and cant run their own tracks, so they are duplicating ours hoping to folk their list into ours, have us pay for all of the participants and concessions, and have their name on the ticket to get credit with us regulated to a "sponsored by the "Enc's office."

Which... is what will happen. Because we need our participants to do the thing we are training them to do. It's a shitty, shitty thing to do. But it seems run of the mill now. Fuck it all.

Sounds like someone needs a visit from the Phantom Shitter. :D

Now, I'm going to say right up front that it isn't me.
    But, I may know a guy who, for the cost of a plane ticket and a moderately disturbing amount of taco bell may be able to help you out.
    But it definitely isn't me.

How dare you just volunteer chris for this without asking him?

let's be honest, 75% of the forum was volunteered in that post

thumb_t-have-famously-huge-turds-sneeds-seed-and-feed-formerly-51564672.png

The problem is that for this, you don't want turds.

You want something that coats.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That office and ours used to be in the same unit (hence why we share the same office suite), six months ago when our division boss was canned for doing the bad things (all of them), their office got moved to a new unit. Our new boss doesn't like the conference at all and wont go to bat for us, their new boss likely suggested the idea to make us pay for it.

Wow Its just new levels of shittery with every post. I think you're in the running right behind the steel belt factories that the one poster used to work at, and only because that place could kill someone. Your management structure is certainly far more fucked. Best of luck dude, youll need it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Nobody has died here yet! Plus one for educational employment.

On the other side of things, we had an university executive just write an email with both "academical reasons" and "Educationally yours, X" in it, which makes me feel like I just died inside.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    That office and ours used to be in the same unit (hence why we share the same office suite), six months ago when our division boss was canned for doing the bad things (all of them), their office got moved to a new unit. Our new boss doesn't like the conference at all and wont go to bat for us, their new boss likely suggested the idea to make us pay for it.

Wow Its just new levels of shittery with every post. I think you're in the running right behind the steel belt factories that the one poster used to work at, and only because that place could kill someone. Your management structure is certainly far more fucked. Best of luck dude, youll need it.

Remember, this is the same place where they gutted management because of corruption, and is currently dealing with a scandal involving "light treason".

The term "death spiral" comes to mind.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    It seems the goal here is pretty clear, looking at our correspondence. His office is short on funds and cant run their own tracks, so they are duplicating ours hoping to folk their list into ours, have us pay for all of the participants and concessions, and have their name on the ticket to get credit with us regulated to a "sponsored by the "Enc's office."

Which... is what will happen. Because we need our participants to do the thing we are training them to do. It's a shitty, shitty thing to do. But it seems run of the mill now. Fuck it all.

But, I may know a guy who, for the cost of a plane ticket and a moderately disturbing amount of taco bell may be able to help you out.

three shots of rum and i can absolutely blanket that office

• Options
    I do still work literally 30ft awaaaay

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Remember, this is the same place where they gutted management because of corruption, and is currently dealing with a scandal involving "light treason".

The term "death spiral" comes to mind.

I'd just put them all on blast for what they're trying to pull, to the entire university. Fuck it.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

but for how long

• Options
    Probably a while, frankly. I'm at a level of position that is difficult to find another job that translates equivalently and pays as well as what I have here.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

but for how long

30 ft.?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited February 2020

three shots of rum and i can absolutely blanket that office

But would you blanket...

(•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

...the entire floor?

Enc on
  • Options
    I can do whatever the contract specifies

sometimes more than once

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    When someone's name comes up in Outlook as "HentaiTentacles", do you address them as "Mr. Tentacles" or just use their full name?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Give them a portmanteau, like Hentacles or Tentai.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    When someone's name comes up in Outlook as "HentaiTentacles", do you address them as "Mr. Tentacles" or just use their full name?

Man the number of people who send their financial institution their email address as stuff like "Whalefer2323" or "Bigdickjohnson" astounds me.

Also refer to him and Mr.Hentai obviously.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    For laughs ask someone in the office who might not know better to google this client and see if you can find anything about them.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

They didn't go to 8 years of japanimation school to be called "Mr," MI.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    For laughs ask someone in the office who might not know better to google this client and see if you can find anything about them.

That seems cruel.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Polaritie wrote: »

That seems cruel.

tentacruel.png

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

"Please, Mr. Tentacles is my father."

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Hauled my shit together earlier

Forced my way to through the call, and the shit afterwards, and now I've gone home. Thank fuck I've got next week off

Get yeself to a pub

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

That seems cruel.

tentacruel.png

This took me a while.

Then I laughed way too hard and drew attention to myself. And laughed more.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    They might appreciate the formal Hentai-sama.

• Options
    hentai-chan

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    hen-tye-digimon,jpeg

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I want a neighborhood pub :sad:

• Options
    The best part is that the dude's email address is some variation of jbrown1234@gmail.com

He literally just set his name up as "HentaiTentacles" in Gmail and I love the idea that he might not even realize.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It could be his YouTube name

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Right this way, Mr. Tentacles

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Probably a while, frankly. I'm at a level of position that is difficult to find another job that translates equivalently and pays as well as what I have here.

I have to imagine private sector management pays well for the skill sets you have. Isn't that the common perception? Make bank in the private sector vs govt work.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

I can achieve a thick, greasy consistency with a little effort if I am needed for the cause

• Options

I once had a guy apply for a sponsorship for his Youtube channel that hadn't had a video uploaded to it in like 3 years. The channel name was "Dr. Teabag".

We, uh... Did not sponsor him.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    To provide a bit more details, we put on a conference to train faculty and staff. Inside said conference are tracks on specific training topics, each of which pay participants to attend and provide the money to pay presenters and training materials (and also food for those who are attending for the 4 day conference). In exchange, those attending have to implement the training into their classrooms with a concrete deliverable (a specific certification we need for the purposes of our office for accreditation).

This guy's office made a track to copy our track for the purposes of having us pay for the presenters, participants, training materials, and concessions while they look like they are the ones running it and get to claim it as their annual reporting. Only thing is, they dont have the deliverable which means all this money will change hands without anything actually being implemented across campus. Because they DONT have the deliverable, all of the faculty who would normally attend our sessions are registering for theirs because its less work for the money they get paid for four half days of hanging around campus between semesters.

The only way we can meet our accreditation goals are to merge the tracks, take up the payments and costs, and (in return for doing so) bait and switch the faculty into needing the deliverable. Which the faculty won't like, and we don't like. But ~we~ will look like the badguys while ~they~ look like the people looking out for the faculty union. Its a garbage play. Done by a garbage person.

If I'm understanding this correctly, the deliverable is the entire reason for attending the training, and the faculty should know that, right? Like it sounds to me like the other track is (or should be) obviously shady (because no deliverable), and anyone who signed up for it should have known better.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

Do a social experiment. Address them as "Mr. Testicles" and see if they correct you and how they correct you.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My boss brought me a broken merchandise display shelf. Some duct tape, a hammer, and forceful application of my boot later, I sent back a functional shelf.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Let that be a lesson to all the other shelves.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

I once had a guy apply for a sponsorship for his Youtube channel that hadn't had a video uploaded to it in like 3 years. The channel name was "Dr. Teabag".

We, uh... Did not sponsor him.

Doctor Terence Bagg is very sad now

• Options
    Calica wrote: »
    To provide a bit more details, we put on a conference to train faculty and staff. Inside said conference are tracks on specific training topics, each of which pay participants to attend and provide the money to pay presenters and training materials (and also food for those who are attending for the 4 day conference). In exchange, those attending have to implement the training into their classrooms with a concrete deliverable (a specific certification we need for the purposes of our office for accreditation).

This guy's office made a track to copy our track for the purposes of having us pay for the presenters, participants, training materials, and concessions while they look like they are the ones running it and get to claim it as their annual reporting. Only thing is, they dont have the deliverable which means all this money will change hands without anything actually being implemented across campus. Because they DONT have the deliverable, all of the faculty who would normally attend our sessions are registering for theirs because its less work for the money they get paid for four half days of hanging around campus between semesters.

The only way we can meet our accreditation goals are to merge the tracks, take up the payments and costs, and (in return for doing so) bait and switch the faculty into needing the deliverable. Which the faculty won't like, and we don't like. But ~we~ will look like the badguys while ~they~ look like the people looking out for the faculty union. Its a garbage play. Done by a garbage person.

If I'm understanding this correctly, the deliverable is the entire reason for attending the training, and the faculty should know that, right? Like it sounds to me like the other track is (or should be) obviously shady (because no deliverable), and anyone who signed up for it should have known better.

Well, for our track. Plenty of tracks have no deliverable (and also have no meaningful benefit to completing usually). We're a special case because we actually report our track to accreditation as part of our initiative.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Calica wrote: »

Well, for our track. Plenty of tracks have no deliverable (and also have no meaningful benefit to completing usually). We're a special case because we actually report our track to accreditation as part of our initiative.

This may seem naive, but I just honestly don't know: Is there any way for you to spin it? In a way of "Look, I know you signed up for Garbage Joe's track, but it wasn't even complete so you would have missed out on (benefit)/it would have been a waste of time. Thankfully, we're here to make sure you have what you need to succeed, and unlike with Garbage Joe's track, you'll have something to show for it!"

Alternately, if people are pissed that they'll end up needing to do the deliverable... what would be the consequences of telling them about the bait and switch?

Perrsun on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    No lunch and a half hour of OT but I've got everything set up to not fall apart while I'm on vacation, and I'm heading to the time clock.

This discussion has been closed.