As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

F-Stop In The Name Of Love [PHOTO THREAD]

• Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gafoto wrote: »
    Just the one tonight
    *plop*

Cigarette without shit border: Here

I need to get better at taking pictures in brighter conditions, I'm having a hard time making good colour shots at night so I figure I should start in the day. I can't seem to figure out the editing quite as I'd like yet.

It's alot easier to edit a photo that is pretty decent to start off with. That picture is way way off a perfect exposure.
    Which picture are you talking about?? The one with the bridge? I should have taken the time to pull out the tripod but I hand-held the camera and went with 1/60 and I believe f5.6 so I could keep walking. I should take the time to do it right next time though.

Yeah, I don't find the photo all that interesting, even if it was properly taken.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    Some hot kitten pinup

sexycat.jpg

And the new toy

yashica.jpg

Grifter on
  • Options
    master_shakemaster_shake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    2007_07_12_01.jpg

2007_07_12_02.jpg

+ a leftover

2007_07_07_02.jpg

master_shake on
  • Options
    ImDrawingABlankImDrawingABlank Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I figure this should be asked here. I was talking with a friend from work today who is also into photography (I believe on a somewhat professional level) and he recommended picking up a filter, or a few filters for my camera. Is this a good idea? I did a quick google search on it and saw that UV filters can also be used as a means to protect your lens from scratches and dust and such but do they drastically change the image at all? I like what a polarizer does to daytime shots, should I get one of them as well?

I'm going to consider buying a longer lens sometime in the future. Probably something up to 200mm, I wouldn't want to spend TOO much though, but he was praising the VR tech. Would this be a good lens to go along with my 18-55? Would filters bought for the stock kit lens work on that one as well?

EDIT: Sorry for so many questions, im trying to do research on my own as well. But one last one, how much would I benefit to have a lens that took 72mm screw in filters as opposed to 52mm? Not specifically in regards to the filter, but also in overall quality. Does the larger lens make a difference? Viewing angle is my guess but I could be wrong, I'd assume it would allow more in the sight than a smaller one of the same length.

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I figure this should be asked here. I was talking with a friend from work today who is also into photography (I believe on a somewhat professional level) and he recommended picking up a filter, or a few filters for my camera. Is this a good idea? I did a quick google search on it and saw that UV filters can also be used as a means to protect your lens from scratches and dust and such but do they drastically change the image at all? I like what a polarizer does to daytime shots, should I get one of them as well?

I'm going to consider buying a longer lens sometime in the future. Probably something up to 200mm, I wouldn't want to spend TOO much though, but he was praising the VR tech. Would this be a good lens to go along with my 18-55? Would filters bought for the stock kit lens work on that one as well?

EDIT: Sorry for so many questions, im trying to do research on my own as well. But one last one, how much would I benefit to have a lens that took 72mm screw in filters as opposed to 52mm? Not specifically in regards to the filter, but also in overall quality. Does the larger lens make a difference? Viewing angle is my guess but I could be wrong, I'd assume it would allow more in the sight than a smaller one of the same length.

UV filters are generally used simply to protect the front element of a lens. They have a very small effect on haze in a photo but it's usually not noticeable. Lesser quality filters can have an effect on image quality but you'll only notice if you're a pixel peeper. A polarizer is a must imo. I use mine regularly when I'm shooting outdoors in the day time.

The diameter of the filter threads on a lens is meaningless in regard to the quality of a lens. It's simply a consequence of aperture size and focal length. So a lens with a 77mm filter thread could easily be worse quality than one with a 58mm thread. Although in general higher quality lenses do have larger filter threads because they require a larger front element to collect light at fast apertures. There's no need to take this into account when buying a lens unless you already have a specific size of filter you'd rather not have to replace or if the lens has an unusually large filter thread (greater than 77mm) then the filters will become rather pricey.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Awesome! Thank's salti. I'll keep all of that in mind, I plan to stop by a local photo shop on my way home from work tomorrow. I need to grab a camera bag, a filter or two, a new tripod, and maybe a hood. Do you think I would benefit from a hood? Does it make any difference having one attached other than reducing glare?

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Awesome! Thank's salti. I'll keep all of that in mind, I plan to stop by a local photo shop on my way home from work tomorrow. I need to grab a camera bag, a filter or two, a new tripod, and maybe a hood. Do you think I would benefit from a hood? Does it make any difference having one attached other than reducing glare?

It also offers minor protection for the lens.

ege02 on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    New to the Artist's Corner, been messing around with a lot of photography lately though so I'll share some of my better pictures. I use a Kodak Z710 for all of these pictures.

BRP077.jpg

---

ASHEVILLE1111011.jpg

---

Wootdognuggets016.jpg

---

yobrp023-1.jpg

An-D on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I really like the composition in the motorcycle picture. Could use a slight cropping maybe, but otherwise it's sweet.

The candle picture might be more interesting with one candle instead of two.

ege02 on
  • Options
    An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow, sweet. Comments already. The motorcycle one was taken on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Western N.C. I was hiking up a mountain and saw them driving below me (gotta love that 10x zoom). I've always been kind of tentative about cropping. I know *how* to do it, but when I should and where I should do it always seems to escape me (hopefully something that comes with time). Should I just try to focus the picture on the biker or cut out the close-up of the foliage at the bottom of the picture?

I was actually kind of surprised at how the candle one turned out (wasn't staged or anything). There was a blackout and my little brother and I lit the only two candles we could find (ones in the picture). Then we listened to some crazy paranormal-ghost-conspiracy radio show on some AM station. It was probably the coolest thing I've done with him in a long time.

Everything has a story!! O_o

*EDIT*: Just want to say I've been going through some of the pages in this thread and Holy William Shatner, Batman, there are some awesome pics in here.

An-D on
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cropping? I don't think so. The out of focus foliage in the foreground is distracting, but there's no clean way to really crop that out without getting rid of important parts of the shot. Anyhow, that one was the only one out of those that holds any sort of interest. Second one's way too dark by the way, and not very well composed.

Salti - lovin' the new one :^:. Take more.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    An-D wrote: »
    Wow, sweet. Comments already. The motorcycle one was taken on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Western N.C. I was hiking up a mountain and saw them driving below me (gotta love that 10x zoom). I've always been kind of tentative about cropping. I know *how* to do it, but when I should and where I should do it always seems to escape me (hopefully something that comes with time). Should I just try to focus the picture on the biker or cut out the close-up of the foliage at the bottom of the picture?

I generally use the rule of thirds when I take pictures.

For cropping it's more tricky, since like BoW said you don't want to crop out important elements.

ege02 on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    hey does anyone live near DC? I'd love to go out and shoot stuff but I'm new to the area and don't know the "cool spots" etc.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Some people swear by lens hoods for protection from glare and accidental damage. I personally rarely use them because they are too bulky for my taste. If I'm in a situation where there will be extreme flare I might bring along a hood but usually I'll just use my hand as a shade.

saltiness on
  • Options
    pirate bobpirate bob Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    saltiness wrote: »

Some people swear by lens hoods for protection from glare and accidental damage. I personally rarely use them because they are too bulky for my taste. If I'm in a situation where there will be extreme flare I might bring along a hood but usually I'll just use my hand as a shade.

I rarely use my lens hood as it interferes with adjusting the polarizer. The hand is usually quicker and simpler. I do have to say that in about 5 years of shooting, I've only ever had a few pictures flare on me, and the only ones that really flared heavily had the sun in the frame, making a hood useless. My primary lens though is pretty nice and has all the anti-flare coatings.

@McLovin: The DJ ones have good light, but they're missing hands. As a result, they're kind of missing a bit of life and action to me.

@ImDrawingABlank: My polarizer rarely leaves my camera, only when it gets too dark. They do more than get darker skies, they help reduce (and sometimes if you want, strengthen) reflections on water and glass (reduce, not completely eliminate). Polarizers can be used to get nice dark streets and rocks after a rainstorm, and can enhance color saturation in the right conditions.

Something like this wouldn't be possible without a polarizer:
    DSC5613.jpg

pirate bob on
    sig.jpg
    If I hide myself wherever I go
    Am I ever really there?
  • Options
    april__29april__29 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    been a while since i put anything on here soe heres something new

08072007235a.jpg

080720072321111111.jpg

Untitled-1-3.jpg

Untitled-222.jpg

april__29 on
    Untitled-1-2.jpg
  • Options
    HALOPENHALOPEN Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    800px-Space_Needle002.jpg

Seattle my Beautiful City!
    nice pics of.... stuff lol

HALOPEN on
    mcyayer7.png
    HALOPEN FILMS
    www.halopen.com
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    Edit: lame, You ninja edited.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The first one is beautiful, april. There are some things I would change with the composition but the colors are perfect.

saltiness on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Here are a few more from the road trip.

vista1.jpg

vista2.jpg

vista3.jpg

Relevant to the discussion: I used a polarizer in every one of these shots. In the first one I used a slight amount of polarization to take away some of the reflection coming off the window so we can see the girl's face. In the second I used a lot of polarization to remove nearly all reflections from the hood of the car so that the dirtiness of it would stand out. On the last one the polarizer darkened the sky and cut through some of the haze (there was a significant amount because of a forest fire nearby the day before).

saltiness on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well I went to the store with my friend from work and grabbed a couple things. The store sucked and bags/tripods were extremely overpriced (cheapest was $80!) but I got a Polarizer filter and a rubber collapsable hood at his recommendation. I bought a UV filter as well but noticed when I got home that the package was empty so I'm going back tomorrow morning to urinate on the stupid clerk's face :P He really shouldn't have been working there, barely spoke english and didnt know what a lens hood was, or any details of the lenses there. I'm going to try taking some pictures and learn to use this new filter tonight hopefully. Thanks for being helpful guys! and Salti, still lovin your shots 8-)

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I found out today that I get to shoot the cast (and family) production that I shot last year, except this time I actually get permission and I get to go to the dress rehearsals and even to a performance and I think it's pretty cool

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Nice, Sheri. Candids!

And ImDrawingABlank, It's best to buy camera gear online from somewhere like B&H or from a pro camera store if there's one near you. Going to Ritz or Wolf or some place like that will just lead to you being ripped off and buying shitty gear you don't need.

saltiness on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    They're uh

They're pretty much all candids

I mean, they're on stage and all, but I'm pretty sure it'll be mostly mid-performance stuff

Maybe one posed shot, but that'll be mostly for their benefit.

If any remembers the shots I did last year, they'll be like those.

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh oops. I accidentally read dressing rooms and thought you could get some nice back-stage type of shots of them putting on makeup and whatnot.

saltiness on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You just wanted to see nekkid people

Sheri on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You say that like you don't.

saltiness on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sheri wrote: »
    MGS edit?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Gafoto wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »
    MGS edit?

No.

Sheri on
  • Options
    JonisJonis Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, that canyon. Wow.

Jonis on
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So is it a rule that you gotta have a boarder around your pictures here?

because i'm going to break it.

Train_2.jpg

Train_1.jpg

Sold a copy of this to someone who requested it over the internet after seeing it on facebook. Funny to think I've had so many teachers and other photographers try and school me on the subject of HDR and how you HAVE to shoot in .raw and HAVE to have multiple exposures. When I took this I forgot to set it to .raw. Its a single exposure that I made multiple different composites of and then tone mapped.

Chair_.jpg

Couch_3.jpg

Couch_1.jpg

Couch_2.jpg

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Brick, in your first shot, the sky on the far right side seems to suddenly get brighter after you get past the pillar, dark on the left brighter on the right side of it. Might be able to touch that up a teensy bit.

The couch shots I really like, though the second seems a little blurred (motion). I think my favourite is the last of them.

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Borders are totally up to you. But you do need to clean your sensor!

saltiness on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Mr.Brick wrote: »

Frames almost always make your photos look better (especially if the photo has a lot of empty space, or lines that can lead the viewer's eyes out of the photo) and gives them a more professional feel.
    Sold a copy of this to someone who requested it over the internet after seeing it on facebook. Funny to think I've had so many teachers and other photographers try and school me on the subject of HDR and how you HAVE to shoot in .raw and HAVE to have multiple exposures. When I took this I forgot to set it to .raw. Its a single exposure that I made multiple different composites of and then tone mapped.

There is no such rule as "you have to shoot in RAW" or "you have to have multiple exposures".

RAW simply gives you a tremendous amount of versatility when doing post-processing.

And when you catch that one really nice shot and don't want to screw it up because you won't get the opportunity again, multiple exposures is a very good idea. But then, shooting in RAW mostly eliminates the need for that, since you can edit the exposure setting in PP.

Anyway I dig the last couch shot as well. But I have a feeling it would look better if the TV was aligned with the tower thing in the background. Personal opinion of course, as I'm a sucker for symmetry.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I took a couple of pictures tonight to try the new stuff.

dsc0019v1smrb0.jpg

dsc0052v1smah7.jpg

The flower I was originally going to keep in colour but it seemed too dark as being the idiot that I am, I forgot to fold the hood back to let a bit more light in. I'm working on seeing if I can salvage the picture in colour. The green one is un-edited, just the results of the new filter. Shot was taken with hood removed, I was more focused on getting the colour than I was on the artistic value.
    I personally think the green one is real bland

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah it does need a cleaning!

I usually work 7 days a week doing post production and stuff but I had a random day off today and just grabbed the camera and went for a bike ride. Camera's been neglected lately as I've been using my Panasonic HVX-200 more than the DLSR.

I don't want to use a tripod all that much so I try my best to keep my arms steady for those 3 exposures!

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Borders just help contain an image. I like them because they give more closure to the eye. You can choose to use them or not use them, but I think they add to an image in a positive way.

Also, I second the last shot being the best. There's almost some sort of symmetry going on, offset a tiny bit by the pillar (smoke stack?).

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    Mr.Brick wrote: »

Frames almost always make your photos look better (especially if the photo has a lot of empty space, or lines that can lead the viewer's eyes out of the photo) and gives them a more professional feel.

There is no such rule as "you have to shoot in RAW" or "you have to have multiple exposures".

RAW simply gives you a tremendous amount of versatility when doing post-processing.

And when you catch that one really nice shot and don't want to screw it up because you won't get the opportunity again, multiple exposures is a very good idea. But then, shooting in RAW mostly eliminates the need for that, since you can edit the exposure setting in PP.

Anyway I dig the last couch shot as well. But I have a feeling it would look better if the TV was aligned with the tower thing in the background. Personal opinion of course, as I'm a sucker for symmetry.

I dig the last shot too but I enjoy asymmetry much more than symmetry ;)

I work in the CG / post production industry so I hear the preaches of raw often. I often hear my comrades scoffing at shots that were obviously tone mapped and processed from a single .raw. Confuses the hell out of me sometimes when you get down to the "art" of it all.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    and p.s. for the sold prints i have edited out the smudges.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I was looking through my shots and had completely forgot to post this one. It makes me chuckle when I look at it :P

dsc0024v2smwx8.jpg

I'm going to go and try to do some research on this tone mapping thing you guys are talking about. Is it basically what you do when you take multiple exposures of the same scene and combine them for the best of each? Such as, an exposure to exentuate the sky, and one for a certain object, and one for the background/foreground etc? Sorry if I'm confusing!

ImDrawingABlank on
    lastfmml0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.