As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I just tried MW5 on gamepass and..it's a blurry mess for anything more than 50 feet away it seems like, is this normal? Running all the settings maxxed on a 1080; MWO looks way better than this.. i cant even stand to play it...
    pic; notice the pipe and trees on the left; it's horrible :confused:
    e8lzsow5grky.jpg

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    WanderingSailorWanderingSailor Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Aerospace fighters are a thing, and can and will engage and destroy Dropships in and out of the atmosphere.

But, I dunno if the Argo would be a high enough value target for one of the Houses to go for.

It has no armor, is poorly armed, and can't land. About the best thing going for it is the mech and med bays which could make it useful as a command center, but it'd have to be very well defended because of the aforementioned issues with weaponry and armor. Further, it has no lostech of its own. I'm fairly certain just about everything about it could be recreated should somebody really want to.

I couldn't see one of the houses going through the trouble of hunting it down and taking it by force, but if it showed up over one of the worlds and a local noble decided he or she really wanted a unique toy they'd go for it.

Absolutely true points, except for the first and many of the others. The Argo is a paper tiger where the IS is concerned (no armor), poorly armed (they need a Leopard to fight their space battles, and while it can't land it can send dropships, mechs, and people to make landing a moot point. You're damn right it has little or no armor, but I'm not sure why this makes it *less* of a target (these are hypothetical nobles going for *prestige*). "Further, it has no lostech of its own. I'm fairly certain just about everything about it could be recreated should somebody really want to." You're confusing low-hanging fruit with agriculture. No one wants to make an Argo while they can make two dozen Hercules to fight Smoke Jaguar, but that doesn't mean the people running the show don't want an Argo. It just means they can't afford to. ...And they *really* can't afford to.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The point is that you guys are overselling the significance of the Argo. While it is very convenient for a small to mid-size mercenary command on an extended campaign, the Argo doesn't really offer any strategic or tactical capabilities that couldn't be replicated with a couple more widely available dropships. So it isn't worth the time of people with real power. Death Commandos are not going to try to capture the Argo because it would be a waste of their skills.

There are larger mercenary outfits that have their own jumpships, yet never got targeted by any kind of elaborate scheme to deny them of that resource, even though they represent a much bigger strategic concern for any hostile power. Shit, look at how long the Wolf's Dragoons had Hephaestus Station, a jump-transportable space factory they used to do bespoke mech construction. For 23 years no one made any serious attempt to take it from them. It only got destroyed by DEST forces when the Kuritans were trying to make the Dragoons into their lapdogs (and note they considered the mercenaries more valuable than the lostech).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Keep in mind the Argo is actually fucking massive. Only eclipsed by the Behemoth in size. At least in this particular era. Capable of holding a handful of aerospace lances, several dropships, plus a crap load of Mechs and personnel.

It’d be a prize for anyone. Even in later eras.

Edit- the idea behind the Argo was that it was meant to follow behind exploration ships. It was supposed to carry everything and everyone needed to set up and then defend colonies.

Edit 2- I don’t know if everyone would be chomping at the bit to take it, but I’d personally not fly through Capellan space with it.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    BATTLETECH Campaign update:
    It's been a long road, but I've finally completed the journey to Coromodir and Restored House Arano.
    Along the way I only lost a single pilot (when a 90% melee missed a Hunchback with 8 internal CT left and the return headbutt destroyed the head of an otehrwise unscathed Shadowhawk).

Shout out to @iolo for getting work done on the final push to capture the throneworld:
    LEiTce7.jpg

I'd also like to thank whatever backwater mining world saw fit to sell me a UAC20++ right after I secured an Atlas.

Now on the one hand, someone has seen fit to provide me with a nice SLDF Atlas to stompy dakka with after the campaign.
    On the other, going back to start a new career mode... hmmm.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Aerospace fighters are a thing, and can and will engage and destroy Dropships in and out of the atmosphere.

But, I dunno if the Argo would be a high enough value target for one of the Houses to go for.

It has no armor, is poorly armed, and can't land. About the best thing going for it is the mech and med bays which could make it useful as a command center, but it'd have to be very well defended because of the aforementioned issues with weaponry and armor. Further, it has no lostech of its own. I'm fairly certain just about everything about it could be recreated should somebody really want to.

I couldn't see one of the houses going through the trouble of hunting it down and taking it by force, but if it showed up over one of the worlds and a local noble decided he or she really wanted a unique toy they'd go for it.

Absolutely true points, except for the first and many of the others. The Argo is a paper tiger where the IS is concerned (no armor), poorly armed (they need a Leopard to fight their space battles, and while it can't land it can send dropships, mechs, and people to make landing a moot point. You're damn right it has little or no armor, but I'm not sure why this makes it *less* of a target (these are hypothetical nobles going for *prestige*). "Further, it has no lostech of its own. I'm fairly certain just about everything about it could be recreated should somebody really want to." You're confusing low-hanging fruit with agriculture. No one wants to make an Argo while they can make two dozen Hercules to fight Smoke Jaguar, but that doesn't mean the people running the show don't want an Argo. It just means they can't afford to. ...And they *really* can't afford to.

The initial conversation related to House militaries attempting to hijack it for themselves. I’m certain that all 5 Houses knew about the Argo within a year and all 5 determined quickly that the value in obtaining it (almost zero military) did not equate out to the cost of going and getting it (several month/year long journey, through hostile nations, to find a needle in the haystack of the Periphery).

So that leaves local nobles. Could they take it by force if it showed up in orbit?

Certainly. Especially if a Markham’s Marauders showed up as part of an invading force.

I don’t think it’s likely they’d do so if the Marauders showed up to take a job from them. Nobles who attack their own mercenaries tend to find themselves unable to hire other mercenaries when they need them the most. I could see a company store system being employed though, but the mercs would still have options before it got there.

Left unsaid in all of this is Comstar, they’d have the pockets and plausible deniability, as well as a valid reason in their Explorer Corps.

• Options
    Oh yeah, out of anyone ComStar would certainly be there to scoop up the Argo after the ship suffers one of those unexpected and tragic accidents that kills the crew but leaves the ship perfectly intact.

Y’know, just one of those crazy random happenstance. Certainly nothing with any sort of nefarious roots.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    It's been a long road, but I've finally completed the journey to Coromodir and Restored House Arano.
    Along the way I only lost a single pilot (when a 90% melee missed a Hunchback with 8 internal CT left and the return headbutt destroyed the head of an otehrwise unscathed Shadowhawk).

Shout out to @iolo for getting work done on the final push to capture the throneworld:
    LEiTce7.jpg

I'd also like to thank whatever backwater mining world saw fit to sell me a UAC20++ right after I secured an Atlas.

Now on the one hand, someone has seen fit to provide me with a nice SLDF Atlas to stompy dakka with after the campaign.

This puts a big smile on my face. :)

@Fishman are you going to try a career?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Hm. The shop I'm in has an Awesome, but honestly when I tried a PPC I kinda hated it, so a mech with 3 PPCs does not terribly entice.

Also, what does a dude have to do to get some better pilots? I have yet to find anything better than these couple guys with max skills of 25 I found right at the beginning.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Axen wrote: »
    Oh yeah, out of anyone ComStar would certainly be there to scoop up the Argo after the ship suffers one of those unexpected and tragic accidents that kills the crew but leaves the ship perfectly intact.

Y’know, just one of those crazy random happenstance. Certainly nothing with any sort of nefarious roots.

Eh, the Explorer Corps was not a covert operation. If they don't have a copy of the plans already from some old Boeing Interstellar archive, they could just pay the Argo's operators to let them download a copy from the ship's computers (it must have a set for the maintenance crews). Probably cheaper than the capture operation would be, too.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    The problem for ComStar is that someone e has the ship in the first place. They really, really don’t like people running around with Star League era anything. They work very hard to ensure that never happens.

Now granted they may not be too concerned with a random Periphery merc unit having one, but rest assured they’d be keeping on eye in it. I’d bet C-Bills to House Bills the second they caught wind of that ship changing hands to a Great House they’d swoop in to collect.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    A sequel where you have to team up with Wolf's Dragoons in their shadow war with ComStar because ROM keeps trying to kill you for your ship sounds like an amazing idea.

So I tried M5:Mercs because it was free and is it like... in early access? Because that's what it feels like in terms of both polish and content.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »

Shout out to iolo for getting work done on the final push to capture the throneworld:
    LEiTce7.jpg

This puts a big smile on my face. :)

Fishman are you going to try a career?

Probably, eventually. I think I want to put this down for a while and play something else before I come back.
    Maybe look through some mods and pick a few things that sound interesting before I pick it up again.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    A sequel where you have to team up with Wolf's Dragoons in their shadow war with ComStar because ROM keeps trying to kill you for your ship sounds like an amazing idea.

So I tried M5:Mercs because it was free and is it like... in early access? Because that's what it feels like in terms of both polish and content.

I remember a quote from The Venture Bros that may be apt for that hypothetical sequel.

“Quit sending your agents to infiltrate us. We’re getting tired of killing them and frankly we can’t afford the body bags.”

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Sadly MW5 is a few patches into release since it came out on Epic a while ago. This is PGI at its finest. Rushing a product out the door and leaving it half baked while they move onto extras. Luckily they left it for the modder to fix their issues this time.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Drascin wrote: »
    Hm. The shop I'm in has an Awesome, but honestly when I tried a PPC I kinda hated it, so a mech with 3 PPCs does not terribly entice.

Also, what does a dude have to do to get some better pilots? I have yet to find anything better than these couple guys with max skills of 25 I found right at the beginning.

As the years tick by, you'll find better pilots around Marik/Steiner/Kurita space. My friend's campaign I've been cooping with found his first 50+ max skill pilot the other night. The year was 3038 and we were puttering around Marik space.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

You will find better pilots as you go up in mercenary rank.

The Awesome is really really good for the AI. The AI is great with PPC due to its projectile speed and the awesome has enough room to slam heat sinks to let them fire it. As an additional advantage the AI will more easily be able to focus fire with the PPC due to their pinpoint. All three will hit the same place on a mech every time they hit which is much much harder to achieve with lasers for the AI. 10 MLAS may do 50 damage, but the AI will drag that damage over the entirety of a mech and maybe hit half the time even on a good strike. 50 damage to 4 sections is only 12.5 damage per section. 2 PPC (let alone 3 the awesome can have) will deal 20 damage to a single section every time. And that will kill mechs a lot faster

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Ok so after a few days of playing MW5 and I have to say that I'm glad I didn't buy this game. It really doesn't click with me. I am doing a heck of a lot better with torso twisting in my Centurion and dealing out a ton of damage with my AC10 (one box), SRM6A(one box) and 2ML(one box). Also getting better at killing lights.

My annoyances with the game are the stealth drops of enemies (tanks in my back after clearing the zone or stealth turrets), weird difficulty numbers (story mission rank 17 weaker than a rank 14 normal), the paper mache armor, uneven balance, and not being able to get salvaged mechs. This is MechWarrior, not TankBuster (or VTOLShooter), where are is my hot mech on mech action? Well ok, let me clarify this. Where is my mech on mech action without 5 tanks, 4 turrets and 3 VTOLs?

If I didn't have MWO to play to get my stompy bots itch to scratch I probably would like this game. Maybe it gets better playing with others, but as it this will be a dink around game if I do end up buying it at $20 or less.

I wished they started you with 4 mechs like Battletech. 1 Medium and 3 Lights would be fair. I mean heck all I do is run missions with my Cent+Jenner or Assassin+Jenner and it is getting a bit boring. I run my Flea just to mix things up, but after getting pummled by tanks it just isn't fun.

Oh and I seriously wish they made a scout light mission!!! Just like MWO, there is no reason to pilot the super light mechs like the Locust or Flea unless you are nuts.

But I should have guessed this is how the game is with PGI at the helm. I'm just frustrated since I wanted this to be like MWO but with AI pilots.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Mechwarrior 5:

I just saw on a Discord channel I'm in a mission that makes me incredibly sad.

sidmp5h8fsmc.jpg

Why in the world is there not a "Capture and Hold" mission type in Mechwarrior 5???!?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    The tanks are the best part of mechwarrior 5. They are the thing that makes you feel like a big stompy boy and not simply another cog.

Vehicles don't spawn in areas you have cleared. They have very distinct and set spawn points(on top of mission locations or away from mission locations if you're doing a defense mission, and at building locations depending on mission type) plus a random assortment of vehicles that are present on the mission before you land. When you get shot by something from behind you generally that vehicle had been moving towards your location since the start of the mission/you entered its engagement threshold. It did not spawn behind you because it could not. Unless you walked backwards into a spawn position. The spawn distance is, i think, 950 meters. It is most definitely beyond sensor range but not beyond visual range and it is possible to trigger a "base" spawn without realizing it and have them filter in behind you due to terrain effects. But those mechs did not spawn behind you. They spawned in front of you and then you moved past them.

Turrets similarly never "stealth". They have pre-set locations on the map that you can see. They don't always pop out until you've passed them but they should not have surprised you that a turret was going to pop out of the underground turret bunker.
    Oh and I seriously wish they made a scout light mission!!! Just like MWO, there is no reason to pilot the super light mechs like the Locust or Flea unless you are nuts.

Light mechs are really good at destruction missions(and valuable in raids). Its possible to solo high difficulty destruction missions in light mechs as an example. And overall they're pretty decent once you're competent in piloting them (once your evasion skill is high you won't take much, if any damage as you will rarely be hit)

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The tanks are the best part of mechwarrior 5. They are the thing that makes you feel like a big stompy boy and not simply another cog.

Vehicles don't spawn in areas you have cleared. They have very distinct and set spawn points(on top of mission locations or away from mission locations if you're doing a defense mission, and at building locations depending on mission type) plus a random assortment of vehicles that are present on the mission before you land. When you get shot by something from behind you generally that vehicle had been moving towards your location since the start of the mission/you entered its engagement threshold. It did not spawn behind you because it could not. Unless you walked backwards into a spawn position. The spawn distance is, i think, 950 meters. It is most definitely beyond sensor range but not beyond visual range and it is possible to trigger a "base" spawn without realizing it and have them filter in behind you due to terrain effects. But those mechs did not spawn behind you. They spawned in front of you and then you moved past them.

Turrets similarly never "stealth". They have pre-set locations on the map that you can see. They don't always pop out until you've passed them but they should not have surprised you that a turret was going to pop out of the underground turret bunker.

Light mechs are really good at destruction missions(and valuable in raids). Its possible to solo high difficulty destruction missions in light mechs as an example. And overall they're pretty decent once you're competent in piloting them (once your evasion skill is high you won't take much, if any damage as you will rarely be hit)

This part isn't true. I mean, it should be...but this is PGI and they cocked it up.

There are turrets that are up, you can see them, but you can't target them. Yes, you can still hit and destroy them, but your typical warning that there's a cocked up turret is after they've fired at and hit you. And if your mech is already torn up, that turret might just kill you (or result in rare weapons getting blown off).

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

This part isn't true. I mean, it should be...but this is PGI and they cocked it up.

There are turrets that are up, you can see them, but you can't target them. Yes, you can still hit and destroy them, but your typical warning that there's a cocked up turret is after they've fired at and hit you. And if your mech is already torn up, that turret might just kill you (or result in rare weapons getting blown off).

Is it beyond sensor range? It could also be a bug relating to a destroyed object (since targeting is restricted by LOS)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Is it beyond sensor range? It could also be a bug relating to a destroyed object (since targeting is restricted by LOS)

It's frequently under 100m. Like, it's well inside flamer range and it's just sitting out in the open, plain as day and shooting freely at my face.

• Options

I know the tanks and helecopters spawned behind me. The reason is that I did a mission twice. Once where I walked into the gunfight like a moron walking between the Earps and Cowboys. Then the next time I sat back and waited under my Leopard waiting for a while. The way I figured is exactly what you said which is that the vehicles were triggered when I dropped and they travelled to me to swarm while fighting the target. No vehicles came so I travelled halfway and waited, no vehicles. Got a certain point where they suddenly were triggered and moved for me. I called it spawning because that is pretty much what it is. PGI has them set on the map and they have a certain aggro area (which is funny when you run out of their area).

I've seen the same targeting glitch @Erlkönig . To be honest I figured it might be an Unreal Engine issue. Sort of like the clipping issues that come with the engine.

I'll have to try out my Flea on a destruction mission and see how they work. Trust me when I say I'm good with lights. Ask any Oosik what mech class I pilot the most in MWO. I'm no Cheerios (a guy who made us all look terrible while he piloted a Locust, he could out damage Heavies and Assaults), but I'm not bad.

The one thing I did like was that they would drop the VTOLs down low enough to shoot with torso weapons if you had no arm weapons.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    My understanding is that MW5 really needs mods to shine, and the mod-free gameplay of the Gamepass version isn't doing it any favors.

• Options
    My understanding is that MW5 really needs mods to shine, and the mod-free gameplay of the Gamepass version isn't doing it any favors.

Yeah this is why I was thinking of shelving it till they fix that. But will give it a few more sessions.

I also realize I called my Javelin the Assassin.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    The Spawn mod really enhanced my enjoyment. Suddenly instead of enemies teleporting they were dropping in on ships, which I can see coming.

Though admittedly sometimes they drop right on top of your goddamn head. As in, once I was jumping with the Grasshopper and got hit out of the air by a Leopard coming in.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    My favorite stolen mech concept is Dougram from Fang of the Sun Dougram. It got me into the anime and its really awesome. There are a few other designs that were lifted from Dougram as well.

PS the entire Dougram series is on youtube, if you want to pay homage to an OG. It also happens to have one of the best OTs in anime history:

https://youtu.be/cuaCdGUamco

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I started watching Dougram on Youtube a month or two back! It's hella anime, that's for sure, but it's got an acceptable minimum quotient of Stompy Bots for my taste.

It also sent me down a rabbit hole looking for tabletop-scale models, and yuuuuuup that's a thing I could be spending money on. Ooops.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Thank you for this recommendation. I played two missions today one in my Flea (2ML/3SL) and the other in my Locust (1ML/2SRM2) and yeah it is so much more fun. My teammate in his Jenner acts as a decoy while I pummel everything in sight. The 2SRM2(plus 1 box) do a perfect amount of pinpoint damage and turn all of the mechs and tanks to dust. Only thing that sucks in this build is shooting down VTOLs, but my Jenner backup is useful in taking them down. So yeah, wanted to thank you for making MW5 a bit more entertaining. Now only if I could run a 6SL Locust I'd be perfectly happy. Speed is so much better...

@Nips Confirmed, you'll somewhat like MW5 piloting a Locust.

Edit: Wow, bad writing.

Edit #2: I just couldn't stand it. Ran another mission to rescue some members. Took out 1 Jenner, 3 Spiders and one Urbanmech. At least had enough salvage to get either a Spider or Urbanmech and a bunch other stuff. My Locust was cherry red but still standing. AI Jenner lost one arm, but sorta saved the alliance guy (he ejected). I chose the spider but it sucks and sold it. Think I might reload and take the Urbie since I really want to see how much fun it is (probably not since they decided to not allow the MWO shenanigans where I could run a decent build on it).

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Nips wrote: »
    I started watching Dougram on Youtube a month or two back! It's hella anime, that's for sure, but it's got an acceptable minimum quotient of Stompy Bots for my taste.

It also sent me down a rabbit hole looking for tabletop-scale models, and yuuuuuup that's a thing I could be spending money on. Ooops.

As a kid I had the luck to actually get one of the original die cast toys they came out with. The toy store in my town had them in stock for like a month and never got any more in. It was easily one of favorite toys growing up. It had incredible articulation and detail for the time. I was always a little disappointed that I was never able to get the other mech they released.
    81t1ucfd7lxf.jpg
    mc6czhvd67fa.jpg

Apostate on
  • Options
    I got one of the Gunner (AKA Goliath) model kits that was released under the Robotech Defender label a long time ago, I think I have it in storage somewhere.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »

As a kid I had the luck to actually get one of the original die cast toys they came out with. The toy store in my town had them in stock for like a month and never got any more in. It was easily one of favorite toys growing up. It had incredible articulation and detail for the time. I was always a little disappointed that I was never able to get the other mech they released.
    81t1ucfd7lxf.jpg
    mc6czhvd67fa.jpg

If you’ve got $200 laying around there’s a nice Bandai version.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I got a story pilot. One Captain Shenzeng I got from a couple mission quest.

Then he proceeded to nearly get my hero Wolverine totaled and himself out of commission for three months in his first outing. The first time I've had a pilot wound in the entire game. I didn't even know pilots could get wounded in this game too.

You are not making a great case for yourself, mr Shenzeng!

Drascin on
  • Options
    https://mw5mercs.com/news/2020/06/40-mod-support-for-mw5-mercs-microsoft-versions

Mods now available for MW5 on Gamepass

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/277177-psr-update-and-changes-jun-2020/

Hard numbers on the change in match quality after merging group queue, as well as how the zero sum PSR will work.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    https://mw5mercs.com/news/2020/06/40-mod-support-for-mw5-mercs-microsoft-versions

Mods now available for MW5 on Gamepass

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/277177-psr-update-and-changes-jun-2020/

Hard numbers on the change in match quality after merging group queue, as well as how the zero sum PSR will work.

I think the most damning thing in Paul's post is the sheer volume of stomps. Roughly 30% of all matches ending in stomps is ouch whoa crazy; but maybe I'm wrong? Do we have any sort of numbers like this from other competitive games of a Team Vs. Team nature? Do the publishers put out numbers for things like Overwatch, Destiny 2 Team Crucible, Modern Warfare, etc.? Having a game where you're going to get stomped on/stomp the other team roughly 1-in-3 matches doesn't feel like it's a very good situation.

Also the new zero-sum PSR values are, rightfully, getting questioned. Getting a massive score in a loss (thus indicating skill, but giving no progression) or getting a pittance score in a win both being literal zero movement in PSR seems like a mistake.

Still, count me intrigued. And now, to wait for the PSR reset...

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Can't speak to the others, but AFAIK, Blizzard deliberately hides losses in player profiles for Overwatch, and the respawn and objective-based nature of the game makes comparing stomps there to stomps in MWO difficult.

But yeah, it's become readily apparent that it isn't just PGI coding to blame for the matchmaker, it's the fact that they don't even know what a competitive game looks like.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Apostate wrote: »

81t1ucfd7lxf.jpg
    mc6czhvd67fa.jpg

If you’ve got $200 laying around there’s a nice Bandai version.

Hmm $200 you say? Got mine for retail, maybe I should sell it and make a tidy profit!

viRXuzk.jpg

Naaah, not while I still carry fangs in my heart!

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I've been making better choices in my 2nd campaign playthrough of MW5. I just got a Kintaro that I outfitted with 3 SRM6's (one of which is a rare weapon that has artemis) which I chain fire (I have a button on my joystick set to fire all missiles though in case of emergency, as well as another that just fires the Artemis missiles themselves for targets at a longer range) and then a medium laser and a medium pulse laser. The SRM'S just absolutely chew through mechs in seconds. I think on one of my recent missions it scored 7 mech kills and did 800 total damage, and that was within a timespan of about 2 minutes. The rest of my squad is made up of a (hero mech) Vindicator with a large pulse laser, a Centurion, and an Urbie with a Gauss Rifle (don't laugh, it does its fair share). I'm now running through most 21 to 30 difficulty missions without much damage to my mechs, and at a far earlier time than in my first playthrough.

I'll add this: there is no better feeling than hitting a button on the back of your joystick to fire off a salvo of missiles after lining up the perfect shot, then switching to lasers on the trigger. Playing this game with a HOTAS setup has greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the game (and has made me a much better pilot). I highly highly recommend the experience. I'm using the T160000m from Thrustmaster and it appears to be perfect for the game, with no outside software required to set up the controls. It has enough buttons to put every possible control at your fingertips, and with buttons to spare. Although it doesn't recognize the rotating wheel on the side of the thrust stick, that might actually require outside software to get working correctly. It would be perfect for zooming but I already have that set to the nub stick thats at the top of my joystick (up is zoom in, down is zoom out, left and right cycle targets that are to the left or right) so oh well. But yeah, it's like $140 on Amazon right now and it's worth absolutely every penny if you play MWO or MW5.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    For the Kintaro.

1) Artemis may be bugged to not do bonus damage based on skills. It definitely has been in the past bugged so that it does not increase missile skills

2) Consider putting an SRM 4 or 6 on your arm and having that be a separate fire group. SRM's fire fast enough that you don't really need to chain fire. But the accuracy difference in snap aiming between the arm and torso is pretty significant. The arm SRM will make it much easier to swat tanks and VTOL quickly then you can fire the CT weapons for mechs and other large targets.

wbBv3fj.png