As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Just wait 'til Battletech 2 comes out, and it ends up being a clan centric game. Yay omni tech.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    God I can't wait for Battletech 2. I've got so many hours in Battletech 1 as it is.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I still need to finish the campaign in Battletech. I got confused about the galaxy layout and the time period it happened in so I went back to YouTube a week or so ago to brush up on the lore. I was pleased to see Tex had some lore videos.

The Magistracy of Canopus sounds fucking awesome. I hate that it's one of the smaller periphery powers. I'm glad the Draconis Combine has very little presence in the game. They will always be awful. I actually let my world outlook affect what factions I take jobs for. Namely I never work for the Taurian Concordat and depending on how I'm feeling at the time I won't take up any work from the Capellans either. I dunno how much this will screw me over gameplay-wise but there's a reputation system in place so I'm bound to piss off one or the other or both eventually.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Henroid wrote: »
    I still need to finish the campaign in Battletech. I got confused about the galaxy layout and the time period it happened in so I went back to YouTube a week or so ago to brush up on the lore. I was pleased to see Tex had some lore videos.

The Magistracy of Canopus sounds fucking awesome. I hate that it's one of the smaller periphery powers. I'm glad the Draconis Combine has very little presence in the game. They will always be awful. I actually let my world outlook affect what factions I take jobs for. Namely I never work for the Taurian Concordat and depending on how I'm feeling at the time I won't take up any work from the Capellans either. I dunno how much this will screw me over gameplay-wise but there's a reputation system in place so I'm bound to piss off one or the other or both eventually.

In the campaign it just limits where you'll take jobs after the career is over. Not too big a deal, you'll always have the Restoration in your corner. In the career mode you'll undoubtedly end up pissing off at least a couple factions. Usually I tank my pirate score to just above "most hated for all time" and say "fuck the Taurians", but keep everyone else happy. YMMV, it's not too big a deal for the most part other than store availability and flexibility when choosing to take missions.

Orca on
  • Options
    Oh wait on that note, if I do all the available contracts at a planet, is it done forever or will it reset after an amount of time has passed?

• Options
    Oh wait on that note, if I do all the available contracts at a planet, is it done forever or will it reset after an amount of time has passed?

It'll reset after some time has passed (and you've left the planet? I'm unclear on the exact circumstances required). Generally I'll go to a place, clear all the missions except the planetary government ones (because those tank your reputation and all you get is money or parts instead of reputation from another faction) and then move on. If my reputation is getting too low for a particular faction I'll forgo taking missions with them as the opposing force.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I feel like if MW5 is PGI's current level of quality I'd be keen to see them reproduce MWO under the Unreal Engine. I feel like a big chunk of PGI's struggle has been them struggling to implement changes and fixes because over the years they keep having to fight the engine itself. If they can form a team with the talent and documentation to make development of the game less of a shitshow I think a proper good crack at it content-wise could really work.

That said, reproducing and rewarding players all the content that they've sold all the years would *have* to be a certainty given the amount of money that the whales have spent on the game

• Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Folks I think the flea might be a good mech.
    u15xkx0hkdgg.jpg

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I watched a Flea take down three heavies and outlast four other mechs until the end of a match. If you’re a competent pilot you can do worse than a Flea.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I love my Fleas, Piranhas and Locusts. Man you're making me want to play MWO again.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    It’s kind of a shit show at the moment with tonnages all over the place and everyone mostly in tier 3. I’ve been having a lot of fun though, there’s less nascars and occasionally more assaults who let me core them out from behind because they don’t know how to look at their radar, which shouldn’t be fun but it is.

The new rank up/down calculations are... a thing? I’ve gotten a few bad-feel “losses” like a game we won, where I soloed a jager but died right after and only had 200 damage so that one was a rank down.

I think overall it’s a wash because you can also pull a big rankup on a loss, particularly if both teams are really bad.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    RawrBear wrote: »
    It’s kind of a shit show at the moment with tonnages all over the place and everyone mostly in tier 3. I’ve been having a lot of fun though, there’s less nascars and occasionally more assaults who let me core them out from behind because they don’t know how to look at their radar, which shouldn’t be fun but it is.

The new rank up/down calculations are... a thing? I’ve gotten a few bad-feel “losses” like a game we won, where I soloed a jager but died right after and only had 200 damage so that one was a rank down.

I think overall it’s a wash because you can also pull a big rankup on a loss, particularly if both teams are really bad.

So what you're telling me is that now's the best time to pull out the stealth mechs?

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Absolutely yes you will be invisible.

Just gotta watch out for the odd killer mixed in.

• Options
    Oh man. Stealth Flea.... Pirate's Bane.... Commando....

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I have a question about Battletech. How practically effective are + stabilization damage weapons? I mean I know the impact of knocking mechs over but usually I'm just doing more outright damage for the time being.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Much better early.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Much better early.
    As in knocking over assault mechs is harder?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Eh, mech armor starts thin for the the early game, it's pretty easy to punch through light/medium armor anyway when mechs start to max their armor, and you can't really sport effective stabilization-oriented builds until you get into heavy mechs, so I'd say stabilization damage is generally not worth it at all for the early game. For the early game, you're more likely to just blow up a mech outright with raw damage rather than knocking it over, so why bother with extra stability damage that will usually be wasted when you can go for extra damage that will always be useful?

It's those later heavies/assaults with mountains of armor where stabilization gets particularly useful in knocking big stuff flat with anti-stability builds, then following up with targeted shots from pinpoint builds. Otherwise you end up grinding away at tons of armor, making it real easy to get swamped as you struggle to actually put anything down for good.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Much better early.

No. But better skilled pilots tend to have skills that reduce stabalization damage (and damage in general) and your ability to pinpoint damage without a knockdown will increase

The value of a knockdown is that they have no evasion and you get free called shots. But you will get a called shot every round by ability cost anyway if your morale is maxed. So the value there is low. Plus you have to attack something at least twice in order to knock it down since there is a damage gate at unstable.

Plus, as you get bigger the difficulty in being able to make sure you get that hit on the knocked down unit increases.

Edit: there are still some weapons where it’s good. Large LRM and PPC come to mind.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Much better early.

No. But better skilled pilots tend to have skills that reduce stabalization damage (and damage in general) and your ability to pinpoint damage without a knockdown will increase

The value of a knockdown is that they have no evasion and you get free called shots. But you will get a called shot every round by ability cost anyway if your morale is maxed. So the value there is low. Plus you have to attack something at least twice in order to knock it down since there is a damage gate at unstable.

Plus, as you get bigger the difficulty in being able to make sure you get that hit on the knocked down unit increases.

Edit: there are still some weapons where it’s good. Large LRM and PPC come to mind.

Assaults are in fact straight up harder to knock down, regardless of pilot skills. Lights need 100 points of stability damage to get a knockdown, mediums 130, heavies 160, and assaults need 200. Assaults also recover their stability faster (60% faster than a light). This was not the case in the 1.0 version, where everything had 100 stability and it was really easy to knock down assaults, particularly with massed +STB damage LRM fire.

And since assaults go in phase 1 by default, knocking them down means they don't get moved back into a lower phase, usually negating that initiative advantage. And if they haven't gone yet in the turn, by the time you do enough damage to knock them over, it's often into phase 1 anyway and so they often just stand right back up and you may not actually get to take advantage of the free called shots anyway.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Much better early.

Assaults are in fact straight up harder to knock down, regardless of pilot skills. Lights need 100 points of stability damage to get a knockdown, mediums 130, heavies 160, and assaults need 200. Assaults also recover their stability faster (60% faster than a light). This was not the case in the 1.0 version, where everything had 100 stability and it was really easy to knock down assaults, particularly with massed +STB damage LRM fire.

And since assaults go in phase 1 by default, knocking them down means they don't get moved back into a lower phase, usually negating that initiative advantage. And if they haven't gone yet in the turn, by the time you do enough damage to knock them over, it's often into phase 1 anyway and so they often just stand right back up and you may not actually get to take advantage of the free called shots anyway.

In addition to all that, Surefooted wasn't a thing in 1.0. These days roughly half of enemy pilots just get an almost constant -50% stability damage taken buff which makes them easier to kill than to knock down. If you really want to knock something down firing at them from a flank and possibly wasting a precision shot to take out the leg tends to be the easiest way to do it. I give stability damage next to zero value when comparing weapons.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Much better early.

Yes, both because lighter mechs are easier to destabilize but also because your pilots can't hit the broadside of a barn for targeted shots. So in the early game, as you are looking to acquire some upper band mediums and heavies to let you bench your Locusts and Jenners, turning the pilot into a milkshake from damage is a viable option. (Side torso destruction and legging comes into play as much or more than stability knockdowns, but sometimes you've got to work with all the tools in your toolbox.)

The viability of +stab weapons went down substantially in the mid/late game after the big balancing pass. There was a pretty significant amount of robot whack-a-mole in the 1.0 version, so it was a fair change. If you have a +stab weapon, use it. Often that's the choice - I salvaged a +stab AB/5. Put it on the Shadowhawk! But I wouldn't shell out big bucks for one, or use it over a comparable weapon with a +dam modifier.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    There is still some utility in soft CC from stab damage. Many enemies will brace to remove stab damage if they become unstable. This costs their action and so making units unstable has value in an of itself.

Some weapons +stab is just a lot more efficient. PPC regular is 50/20. +stab is 50/50. A ppc +DMG is 60/20. +stab is probably better at most points in the campaign.

An AC2 is 25/5. A +dmg is 35/5. A + stab is 25/25! An AC 10 is 60/30! The +stab AC2 is hella good

An LRM is 4/2 dmg per missile. A +dmg is 6/2 and a +stab is 4/4. That makes an LRM 20 do 80 stab damage! Better than 40 more splash damage

But as you get later in the campaign you also tend to use these weapons less (except the ppc) because they aren’t very dense or location dense and they don’t hit 61 damage/section needed to headcap (LRM can only hit the head once)

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    In the right mech, that 60 damage from a PPC can be pushed to 66 or 72 damage, making it very useful as a head-capper.

• Options
    Sure, but in general the stability is more valuable just because of the size of the + and then space that it exists in.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say stability damage is worthless but it's pretty damn inconsequential over the course of a career/campaign.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I guess if you set it up so that you've got two stability-blasters and two "kill it with fire" mechs it's okay--each turn you can down one mech and roflstomp it.

I've never seen the point though. I'll usually spend the precise shot to blow a leg off, which is pretty similar.

edit: in the case of a PPC...yeah, I guess the extra stability is generally a better use. But eh. That feels like quibbling. I mean, you're using a PPC on a mech that doesn't give it a bonus. Just...why?

Orca on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    MWO:

Did you know you can fit 9 MPLs on a Top Dog?
    vahm6uqdhgt8.jpg

It makes a lovely scalpel.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Well, overexplaining some BATTLETECH pointers in the G&T Steam thread has sparked a new career. Not sure I'll play it through, but I had the itch and it needed scratching.

I wish the "random starting mechs" were more random. I think I've only ever gotten variants of Centurion, Vindicator, Jenner, Panther, Commando, Urbanmech and Locust. No Fleas, no Javelins, no Crabs, etc.

EDIT: Oooh, forgot about the Heavy Metal crate. Goodies!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Fleas and Crabs are post start date iirc and so cannot be random'd

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Well, overexplaining some BATTLETECH pointers in the G&T Steam thread has sparked a new career. Not sure I'll play it through, but I had the itch and it needed scratching.

I wish the "random starting mechs" were more random. I think I've only ever gotten variants of Centurion, Vindicator, Jenner, Panther, Commando, Urbanmech and Locust. No Fleas, no Javelins, no Crabs, etc.

Time to edit the starting mech options list file? Pretty sure I saw a couple ways to do that.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    When my life stabilizes I need to get back to Battletech and Mechwarrior 5. I miss my stompy bots. Heck, at this point I would play MWO just to get some hot mech on mech action. Sadly after playing all three MWO still scratches that itch better than the other two. I'm sure once I put in my time to get more mechs in BT and MW5 so I could just pick what mechs and loadouts I want.

Speaking of that, I should look to see if there are some mods which allows a god mode to unlock everything early.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    For battletech, it's called break the game.

With a simple save edit (no mod necessary) you can give yourself as much money as you want plus set the flag for black market access. Between those two you can pretty much buy whatever.

If you want to be more legit, you can modify the starting settings to put in a mech or two you like to replace ones you aren't interested in.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I really need to finish HBS BattleTech so I can start screwing around with mods and dlcs

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

With a simple save edit (no mod necessary) you can give yourself as much money as you want plus set the flag for black market access. Between those two you can pretty much buy whatever.

If you want to be more legit, you can modify the starting settings to put in a mech or two you like to replace ones you aren't interested in.

Nice! I'll have to look more into this given that I'll probably finish BT in three years at this rate.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »

Time to edit the starting mech options list file? Pretty sure I saw a couple ways to do that.

This is just a very brief overview of how to do it.

If you can find the right CareerDifficultySettings.json (the one the game pulls from will be different if you have mods, etc) you'll see sections like this for which ever set of random starting mechs you choose.

"ID": "diff_Steiner",
    "Name": "Steiner",
    "DifficultyValue": 0,
    "DifficultyConstants": [
    {
    "ConstantType": "CareerMode",
    "ConstantName": "StartingSystems",
    "ConstantValue": "Daol"
    },
    {
    "ConstantType": "CareerMode",
    "ConstantName": "StartingRandomMechLists",
    "ConstantValue":
    "itemCollection_Mechs_Steiner_worst,itemCollection_Mechs_Steiner_best,itemCollection_Mechs_Steiner_support,itemCollection_Mechs_Steiner_20s,itemCollection_Mechs_Steiner_20s"
    }

The bold part is the important bit as that is telling the game which itemCollection files to pull your 5 starting mechs from. You can then edit each of those itemCollection files (they can be edited with excel) with the name of the mech (the exact name can be gotten from the chassis folder) and a number which represents the odds it will be chosen.

If you want to start with more than 5 mechs you just add more entries into the bolded part and If you wanted to start with a specific mech you would make a new itemCollection file (or edit an existing one) and only put one mech in there.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

You

uhh

can also go into the files to edit how long various upgrades cost for your drop ship. And just have all ship upgrades take a day.

Which, if you enjoy that aspect of the game, then don't do this because you won't get to enjoy that manager/scheduler type of aspect of that game.

I don't enjoy that aspect of the game, so I edited the files and gave myself a little more money than Comstar and made all the upgrades take a day because I'm just here to bust shit up.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »

You

uhh

can also go into the files to edit how long various upgrades cost for your drop ship. And just have all ship upgrades take a day.

Which, if you enjoy that aspect of the game, then don't do this because you won't get to enjoy that manager/scheduler type of aspect of that game.

I don't enjoy that aspect of the game, so I edited the files and gave myself a little more money than Comstar and made all the upgrades take a day because I'm just here to bust shit up.

This... This is what I neeeeeeed!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I had great fun not changing any of the start mechs.

Well, except the heirloom mech.

Which I made an AWS-8Q.

Highly recommended. I never get to use these lower weight mechs typically because they get outclassed so quickly.

So, for example, if you love the Dragon but actually want to use it consider starting with it.

• Options
    I had great fun not changing any of the start mechs.

Well, except the heirloom mech.

Which I made an AWS-8Q.

Highly recommended. I never get to use these lower weight mechs typically because they get outclassed so quickly.

So, for example, if you love the Dragon but actually want to use it consider starting with it.

Fair

'cuz the Dragon is a medium mech with a heavy's movement and initiative penalty