As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Rumblings of a new Switch model coming this year:

https://www.polygon.com/nintendo-switch/2020/1/6/21051666/new-nintendo-switch-model-2020-release-date
    There’s no concrete information regarding the potential upcoming model, but some are predicting Nintendo’s next console as a “Switch Pro” device. Dr. Serkan Toto, CEO of game industry consultancy Kantan Games, told GamesIndustry.biz “there’s no doubt in [his] mind that Nintendo will launch a ‘Switch Pro’ in 2020” — specifically, “after the summer holidays to counter the roll-out of the PS5 and next-gen Xbox later in the year.”

Toto suggested a retail price of $399, with “4K support, bigger cartridge sizes, and of course beefed-up components.”

I'm not sure if I can believe a 4K support Switch.
    Bigger cartridge sizes... that no game dev would use because they're more expensive.

Actually I consider that some evidence lending credence to all this, they just recently announced/revealed that 64 gig cards are coming, I believe.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Wasn't there mention of a possible RDR2 port to the Switch too? I wonder if that has something to do with it too.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Go buuu-eee-uuuuuy
    your kids a
    Swiiiiiiiiiitch Uuuuuuuuuuuuu

(sung to the tune of Whitney Houston's version of "I Will Always Love You")

Linkin Park - Shadow Of The Day.

"And I willllllllllllllllll buy a new switch uuuuuuuuuuuu"

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    PS4 Pro and Xbox One X didn’t fracture the player bases because the games could still be played on the original spec units.

If they’re going into a Switch ‘pro’ with the intention of just displaying at 4k on TVs, then that’s fine.

If they’re going in with the intention of better hardware to actually run PS5/new Xbox ports, potentially with bigger carts that the current Switch can’t use, then they will fracture the playerbase.

I can’t see the latter happening.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    PS4 Pro and Xbox One X didn’t fracture the player bases because the games could still be played on the original spec units.

If they’re going into a Switch ‘pro’ with the intention of just displaying at 4k on TVs, then that’s fine.

If they’re going in with the intention of better hardware to actually run PS5/new Xbox ports, potentially with bigger carts that the current Switch can’t use, then they will fracture the playerbase.

They've literally done this time and time before, though.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Physical and digital combined my switch currently has 109 games on it.

This is counting double and triple packs where the game has multiple full length games as single games.

I still remember being laughed at for getting a switch at launch cause "it's never going to have good games." Yeah and all the people who did that to me all own switch's now so i smugly stand atop my nintendium throne of i told you so.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

They've literally done this time and time before, though.

And almost thankfully, nothing much came from it. Very few games took advantage of the New 3DS's power. There were even fewer exclusive games for it, almost as if Nintendo realized right quick that fracturing their base like that would be pretty dumb. And SNES VC which... never seemed to really take off oddly enough.

I personally very much like the sidegrade/QoL path myself. Alternate form factors, better battery life, more internal storage, stuff like that. I don't feel like I'm getting a lesser experience playing inferior games and that I'm stuck with a goat of a machine. Which is kind of what happens if they announce a more powerful machine with more teraflops and 4K and all those other buzzwords.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    And almost thankfully, nothing much came from it. Very few games took advantage of the New 3DS's power. There were even fewer exclusive games for it, almost as if Nintendo realized right quick that fracturing their base like that would be pretty dumb. And SNES VC which... never seemed to really take off oddly enough.

Wikipedia lists 364 DSiware games, though. Those were exclusives only available on a sidegrade platform.

I would also consider the GBC a half-step. Reports online differ but there were about 600 GBC games, and 30% of them were still compatible with Game Boy.

Perhaps less successful sidegrade/expansion hardware: SNES's Satellaview (still had 114 games/broadcasts), N64's 64DD.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    So today at CES 2020, I guess we are getting a Switch Pro... only it's made by Alienware and plays PC games instead?

smkj3dbnh4b3.jpg

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    4K makes sense now!

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    That seems like a very specific design Nintendo definitely has a patent for...

• Options
    I'm surprised at just how completely they copied it. A handheld with gamepad controls you can dock and play on a larger screen, sure I can see someone making an upscale copy of that. But to go so far as to copy the detachable joycons as well is bold.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    I'm surprised at just how completely they copied it. A handheld with gamepad controls you can dock and play on a larger screen, sure I can see someone making an upscale copy of that. But to go so far as to copy the detachable joycons as well is bold.

Extremely similar button placement as well.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I hope the dock is open face so you can see the screen and it has an attached keyboard, or one that slides forward out from underneath the dock. Then it's a tiny laptop also.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I saw a video of it, but it's just a concept build. It almost certainly won't look like that when released, so why fix what isn't broken just to get a prototype into some geek hands for a presser?

That being said, I'm interested to see how far it goes, but the video I saw only showed some old TPS and Rocket League... Show me a Switch-Like running 4k Sekiro, Control, or Jedi FO.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    That is true, I didn't think about the difference in a bespoke lightweight OS vs. running full blown Windows 10, running Steam client, running the game.

It's possible that even with top of the line upgraded hardware it could only run games that look about the same as on Switch, or may tend to struggle more often with framerate issues etc.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    That seems like a very specific design Nintendo definitely has a patent for...

No you see the Joycons have rounded edges while these Joycons have more angular edges.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    There's a Direct on 1/9 at 9:30 Eastern!!!!!

......................................It's for Pokemon only.

A game that already came out.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Maybe they'll finally reveal Pokemon Gun.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Weird... Seems like poor timing considering all the hype for a legit Nintendo Direct around the corner. What else could they be announcing since Sword and Shield came out two months ago? Pokemon Home info? A new patch which adds the global pokedex?

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    Maybe they'll finally reveal Pokemon Gun.
    Pokemon Crisis.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Pokemon Home is my bet, with an "Available Now!" announcement. I think they probably wanted to break the Pokemon stuff off by itself so it didn't dominate 20 minutes of a more general direct. This way, if you don't give two shits about Pokemon, you can just skip it.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    4K Switch would make sense if Nintendo is really focusing on making Switch the #1 selling console of all time. It would make it a viable alternative to the xbox's and playstations of the world rather than a companion console for those who have the funds.

Also you have to remember Nintendo has a new CEO. It's a new era for Nintendo and while they have shown that they are willing to at least honor the legacy of Iwata that still does not mean that they aren't capable of going in a new direction as well.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    There's also Pokemon Sleep.

Wasn't there a Pokemon Direct last year that was really close to an actual Direct?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Trim out some of the non-combat stuff in the sequel and I'll be all in for it.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I could go either way.

Remove a lot of the busywork boring non-combat stuff or Commit and make it more meaty and more interesting.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    There's also Pokemon Sleep.

Wasn't there a Pokemon Direct last year that was really close to an actual Direct?

The last two years actually had the Pokemon Direct withing a week or two of a general direct.

Also, I'm hoping for a Pokken 2 announcement. Pokken was great.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    As long as I don't have to balance any goddamn ice cream again.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Rest assured there are several million pokemon players looking forward to that direct.
    Pokemon is not just "a game that already came out." It's the single biggest media franchise on Earth.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pokemon Conquest 2, thanks.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    - Pokemon Dash 2

txuUKoo.png

- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 7 probably

- Pokemon Picross 4 or whatever

- Pokemon Ranger 85

- Pokemon Rumble port from last gen

- Hey You Pikachu 2 + Eevee

- Pikachu DLC for Mario Kart 8

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Pokemon Conquest 2, thanks.

I'd be down for that. Though this time maybe a bit less linear? That'd be neat.

• Options
    It's waaaaaaay too early to announce Ultra Sword/Shield, right? Then again that would probably make the people who got ragingly angry at regular Sword/Shield angry again, especially if the Ultra version has more Pokemon.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    4K Switch would make sense if Nintendo is really focusing on making Switch the #1 selling console of all time. It would make it a viable alternative to the xbox's and playstations of the world rather than a companion console for those who have the funds.

They could push upscaled 4K but they cannot reach even base current gen rendering power with Tegra X1 architecture. No mid-gen refresh that retains compatibility will be able to compete with Sony/MS as a pure TV box.
    It's waaaaaaay too early to announce Ultra Sword/Shield, right? Then again that would probably make the people who got ragingly angry at regular Sword/Shield angry again, especially if the Ultra version has more Pokemon.

Ultra version has *only* the rest of the dex. Buy all four games to catch 'em all.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options

Ultra version has *only* the rest of the dex. Buy all four games to catch 'em all.

Damnit, here I go hiring three hookers again. Thanks, Nintendo!

• Options
    Don't tempt me!

• Options
    Wait, Pokemon Ranger 85 gives me an idea.

Give me a Pokemon game set in 1985. Or the '70s? Or something.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Pokemon Switch Snap or we riot, Nintendo. OR WE RIOT

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Pokemon Switch Snap or we riot, Nintendo. OR WE RIOT

only have gyro controls to make the switch your camera