As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    I don't know if I can watch any of those videos on principle because of the spelling.

urahonky

Yeah my 13yr old self thought it was hilarious and unfortunately it stuck with me. I don't even read it as "you are a honky" anymore and more of a name. But I've also sat with it since 2000.

...Oh God I've had this username for 20 years?!

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    You were 13 in 2000?

It's nice sticking with a name though. Especially if it's one that isn't used by everyone and their mum so you end up with urahonky1337!! or something.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I dropped my 13-yo username by the time I was 15, and then went through a phase where I changed handles on a near-monthly basis for a few years. It wasn't until I landed on these forums that I settled on something for good.

Though the psuedo-identity crisis is still ongoing in that I change avatars way more frequently than most of the peeps here do.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    You were 13 in 2000?

It's nice sticking with a name though. Especially if it's one that isn't used by everyone and their mum so you end up with urahonky1337!! or something.

I was 24 in 2000. :biggrin:

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I don't know if I can watch any of those videos on principle because of the spelling.

urahonky

Yeah my 13yr old self thought it was hilarious and unfortunately it stuck with me. I don't even read it as "you are a honky" anymore and more of a name. But I've also sat with it since 2000.

I feel your pain. I would pay a lot of money to not have this be my name anymore. My decision making in the early 2000s was...not great.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

urahonky

I feel your pain. I would pay a lot of money to not have this be my name anymore. My decision making in the early 2000s was...not great.

Saaaaaaaaame. At least yours is capitalized.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    This name came from the webcomic my friends and I created in 2007. Sadly, it died out in 2009, but I still love the avatar and name. My only regret is the space in the name. Used to be a problem when people would try to @ me, but the forums got better over time.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Speaking of terrible user name choices we preserved since our teens...

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I was lucky. My 13 year old user name on here got turned into a joke nickname that stuck so hard they just changed it without me even asking.

You can still see pieces of my old name in my poorly cropped avatar..

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My original gamertag was lost when I let my Junior Debit card lapse. RIP Max Iodine, we hardly knew ye.

I've told the story before, but I made this gamertag for my pops and he never used it so I assumed his mantle

To this day, salty people will send me messages asking if I give out H Jays

To which, my answer is, yes... But only locally

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    My strategy when picking my AOL username in 8th grade, which is to say 1998, was very simple: just flip through the glossary in the back of The Silmarillion and find something that sounds rad - and so I did.

The only times it hasn't worked out have been when some other Tolkien dorkus got to a forum/online service first, and claimed the username before I could. It hasn't happened too often, but in key enough spots that it irritates me.

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    I can hear the eye rolls whenever people see the 666 in my username in lobbies.

Plain old Raybies on Nintendo though

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I've probably said this a few times before...I was in middle school trying to pick out a username for AOL Instant Messager that wasn't already used. After the 3rd or 4th time it said "you can't be SonicTheHedgehog, would you like to be SonicTheHedgehog1156238 instead?" I got frustrated and decided to pick a weird name that nobody else in the world would ever choose.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    You were 13 in 2000?

15 in 2000, haha. Definitely the mind of a 13 year old, though.

It is always weird when I try to setup a new account somewhere and it says "urahonky is already taken" because 99% of the time it was past me and I forgot the login. Luckily it's only been banned on XBL and Nintendo. Sony and Steam don't seem to have a problem with the name just yet. So I have to always come up with a different login for them and it's always hard for me to think of one.

• Options
    My original gamertag was lost when I let my Junior Debit card lapse. RIP Max Iodine, we hardly knew ye.

I've told the story before, but I made this gamertag for my pops and he never used it so I assumed his mantle

To this day, salty people will send me messages asking if I give out H Jays

To which, my answer is, yes... But only locally

I didn't even put that together, honestly.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Speaking of terrible user name choices we preserved since our teens...

Or those given to us by Tube...
    I've grown so fond of this one that I wouldn't change it back even if I could.

And that's only partly because my old one was "better" when the general public didn't have any idea what Game of Thrones was, and Kingshand just seemed random. Now, on the very rare occurrence I still use it anywhere, people just assume that I was fan of the show.

And it's not a "I liked this thing before it was cool" thing, it's actually the opposite, I haven't really been interested in it since I randomly grabbed the words from the original book a very very long time ago and then never ended up reading the rest of them, and have only seen clips of the show. People want to talk about it and generally I don't really know much about it, and I feel dumb having a name lifted directly from the books and not know much about them...and because it was so long ago I barely remember details of the first book.

Galedrid is the oldest name that I still use actively, and I don't really recall why I didn't use it here, originally.

Regardless, many a year ago (2008, user page says I joined in 2003) a coin was flipped, and I lost that flip.

In Switch news I'm super bummed about the one island per switch thing in Animal Crossing and have been actively toying with buying my kids a second switch because I know if I get the game for them, the single island is going to be a serious problem. I don't understand what sort of technical limitations would lead to that design decision, but given how it's almost unheard of, it feels like it was more an intentional decision than based on some limitation, and that bums me out.

Animal Crossing was never really my bag (I tried the Wii one, once upon a time, and in fact remains one of the only boxed copies of a game, since the PS1 era, that I've sold off), but since it doesn't seem like Stardew Valley will ever add cross-platform play, and I'm painfully sick of Minecraft, I'd like something like that to play with the kids easily.

EDIT: I was pretty sure I had Kingshand prior to getting out of high school, but can't find any emails prior to 2004, which didn't seem right, and sure enough the book was published in 1996 so that works; I must have gotten it in 1996/1997. I had it as my aol IM name originally :rotate: EDIT EDIT: AOLIM was 97, so that'd be it. I don't recall if I used it on ICQ prior. This is completely unimportant, but I'm starting to get that old feeling.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I'm in a strange username war with some lady, she claimed youtube, instagram and playstation before me and I got twitter, facebook and nintendo before her. She is my greatest nemesis.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    WACriminal wrote: »
    I went into the digital store to browse, and checked my gold points and Nintendo cash on a lark. I apparently have nearly $90 in my account. So, I need suggestions. What I have and/or have completed:
    Zelda: BotW
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    Mario + Rabbids
    Yoshi's Crafted World
    Final Fantasy XII
    Octopath Traveler
    Chef Brigade
    Golf Story
    Hyper Light Drifter
    Azure Striker Gunvolt
    Mighty Gunvolt Burst
    Puyo Puyo Tetris
    Tetris 99
    Lumines
    Capcom Beat 'em Up Bundle
    Fast RMX
    Mark of the Ninja
    Shovel Knight
    Probably a few others I'm forgetting

Titles I'm NOT interested in:
    Final Fantasy VII (played it/completed it too many times)
    Final Fantasy VIII (don't like it)
    Hollow Knight (I'm weary about the platforming, and I'm probably the only person on the planet that doesn't like its aesthetic)
    Ori (ditto)
    Celeste
    Splatoon
    Arms
    Anything that requires waggle
    Likely others, depending on what they are

Thanks!

Return of the Obra Dinn. In a sea of roguelikes and PUBG-likes and Zelda-likes and Super Meat Boy-likes and Overcooked-likes, it feels like a rare example of a genuinely new game with new ideas. One of the best titles I've ever played.

You're not discounting ARMs because it requires waggle are you? Because it doesnt. I was p much undefeated in that game online in the short time I played it and I didn't use waggle once.

BTW that word is old school AF, "waggle", all the way back to the golden times of the Wii era!

I'm automatically discounting any game that requires motion controls, of any kind, because I'm physically disabled and such controls are 100% not accessible for me. I play games to escape my limitations, not to have them shoved back in my face.

EDIT: For clarity, I'm not suggesting that you are shoving my disability in my face, but rather that it's what encountering motion controls feels like. Even in BotW, in the few shrines that relied on motion controls, it was extremely frustrating for me. Being able to otherwise dismantle the game via the controller, only to have what would be trivial for nearly everyone else become an impassible barrier is... hard to describe, but definitely not fun. Which is why I simply avoid any game that has any kind of motion controls.

I am not disabled, and I also hate motion controls. Main reason I didn’t buy Pokemon Let’s Go

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    My strategy when picking my AOL username in 8th grade, which is to say 1998, was very simple: just flip through the glossary in the back of The Silmarillion and find something that sounds rad - and so I did.

The only times it hasn't worked out have been when some other Tolkien dorkus got to a forum/online service first, and claimed the username before I could. It hasn't happened too often,but in key enough spots that it irritates me.

There's a cream you can get for that.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    You were 13 in 2000?

I was 24 in 2000. :biggrin:

I was 20 in 2000. My original username I used in the early days of the internet was DarkDrayke. I was a big D&D nerd back then and that is where my user name came from. Glad I moved on from that. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    The name I try to use everywhere harkens back to my first MMO: Shadowbane. I had two characters there, and both names I keep using in various places.

My poor forum name. It has elements of my real name (same as my twitter) which has now changed. I wish I could change them both.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I don't really have any regrets about my screen name, since it's just the name of the role-playing character I always wind up shoehorning into every game he can possibly fit into. And since I've always had starry-eyed fantasies of publishing my own indie game, even more hopefully on a Nintendo console, the fact that he's supposed to be an effervescent, upbeat person means that I keep from saying a lot of the sarcastic and cruel stuff that immediately comes to mind thanks to over-exposure to the Internet to avoid having that kind of thing associated with him. Might become awkward if said indie game ever takes off, but I ain't countin' any chickens until I actually have eggs.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I went into the digital store to browse, and checked my gold points and Nintendo cash on a lark. I apparently have nearly $90 in my account. So, I need suggestions. What I have and/or have completed:
    Mario + Rabbids
    Yoshi's Crafted World
    Final Fantasy XII
    Octopath Traveler
    Chef Brigade
    Golf Story
    Hyper Light Drifter
    Azure Striker Gunvolt
    Mighty Gunvolt Burst
    Puyo Puyo Tetris
    Tetris 99
    Lumines
    Fast RMX
    Mark of the Ninja
    Shovel Knight

Hollow Knight (I'm weary about the platforming, and I'm probably the only person on the planet that doesn't like its aesthetic)
    Ori (ditto)
    Celeste
    Splatoon
    Arms

Thanks!

I give a huge vote for Golf Story. It's not too expensive, but incredibly entertaining. The writing alone is worth the price of admission, but the golfing is pretty damn fun too.

Also please for the love of god put P5 on switch. I will never play the game otherwise, and it is something I absolutely know I need to play.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    “Drez” is a shortened version of my typical primary male mage/wizard character name which itself is a bastardization of an EverQuest NPC’s name which I chose due to a traumatic experience I had involving that NPC.

My first internet handle was “Snacky.”

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    “Drez” is a shortened version of my typical primary male mage/wizard character name which itself is a bastardization of an EverQuest NPC’s name which I chose due to a traumatic experience I had involving that NPC.

Better than mine which I got from a mispelt file name of a picture of an apparently very popular D&D character. Having not played D&D it was several years before I heard of some guy called Drizzt.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    My primary username nearly everywhere is Hypacia (which I chose because Hypatia was taken on WoW) and really, I thought that having Hypacia and Hypatia here would be confusing so here I am 10ish years later.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »

Better than mine which I got from a mispelt file name of a picture of an apparently very popular D&D character. Having not played D&D it was several years before I heard of some guy called Drizzt.
    I feel like there's more to this story.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Xaquin since 2000

Xaquin for liiiiifffeeeeeeee baby!

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Cruor is a shortened version of a longer username I've had for awhile that I've since mostly stopped using. I stopped using the longer one because the translation is a bit too close to an unsavory slogan I was unaware of when I came up with it at age 16.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Dritz wrote: »

Better than mine which I got from a mispelt file name of a picture of an apparently very popular D&D character.

No offense, but "Dritz" is a monumentally poor misspelling of Mordenkainen.

Drez on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Also please for the love of god put P5 on switch. I will never play the game otherwise, and it is something I absolutely know I need to play.

The bonuses for playing P5R with a regular P5 save are garbage so yeah, I'd start from scratch on the Switch. Gimme.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    What's the name of the Persona Warriors game? Is that what you guys were talking about being up on the Japanese eshop a page or so ago?

• Options
    edited February 2020
    What's the name of the Persona Warriors game? Is that what you guys were talking about being up on the Japanese eshop a page or so ago?

Persona 5 Scrambled Eggs with a Side of Bacon, or P5SEwaSoB.

Or just search by its vegan name: Persona 5 Scramble.

Edit: Which is also its correct name, unlike the other name I gave.

Drez on
  • Options
    Well now I'm hungry, thank you for that!

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Mario + Rabbids
    Yoshi's Crafted World
    Final Fantasy XII
    Octopath Traveler
    Chef Brigade
    Golf Story
    Hyper Light Drifter
    Azure Striker Gunvolt
    Mighty Gunvolt Burst
    Puyo Puyo Tetris
    Tetris 99
    Lumines
    Fast RMX
    Mark of the Ninja
    Shovel Knight

Ori (ditto)
    Celeste
    Splatoon
    Arms

Thanks!

I give a huge vote for Golf Story. It's not too expensive, but incredibly entertaining. The writing alone is worth the price of admission, but the golfing is pretty damn fun too.

In my owned/completed list. And, yeah, it's a great game. I'm eagerly awaiting Sports Story.

RE: user names, I've used this one since I was an angsty 14 year old way back in 1994. I was in high school study hall and looked over my friend's shoulder while he was reading one of the Wheel of Time books. I saw the term "kinslayer" and decided to "improve" it by changing it to nightslayer (I was also a 14 year old with bad taste :D ). Unfortunately, AOL only allowed screen names that were 10 characters long at the time, so I had to strip some vowels to make it fit.

My avatar is Fei Fong Wong from Xenogears, which remains my favorite game. Found this GIF on a now long defunct website dedicated to the game, and haven't been able to find another version anywhere else online, so I keep/protect multiple copies on my various drives.

• Options
    Well now I'm hungry, thank you for that!

You're quite welcome.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i had a weird dream once in middle school and this is my username everywhere,
    it's pretty good. almost nobody claims it in other stuff.
    there was one scottish guy who was actually named this (is it based on lycidas?) but i think he's dead.
    if you're not dead i'm very sorry.

the most unfortunate bit is that my old main email has the word 'gamer' in it
    because it was a wayyyyyy less problematic word in the late 90s. it has not aged well.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    You were 13 in 2000?

hm

you could probably still get get xXxSephiroth69xXx if you hurry

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I used to have the screen name Hannibal, which was a nickname I had in real life because, well, as a kid I tended to bite people. But I found it was always taken, so as a teenager I one day decided to start using the name I made up for my D2 Assassin, which being entirely made up was never taken.

And so I've been Drascin for the past twenty or so years.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Count me in on the "had this name forever" bandwagon. I was a teenager, AND it was the '90s, resulting in what you see before you here.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!