Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I mean, this is 2020. every one else is in 2020. PC, Xbox, PlayStation, iOS, Android... They've evolved a TON since Animal Crossing on the Gamecube. Hell, even the 3DS was far behind the competition in the online-ownership-multiple systems-user accounts issues.

That's why we are reasonably upset. Not raging or weaving narratives. It's been time for nintendo to get on with the program for ages, and AC just reminds us how far back they are.

AC is a game that's all about years of playing a bit every day (and binging sometimes, of course). Saves and transfers and individual ownership are very important. Nintendo is making it very hard for people to deal with those things.

That's it. It's pretty simple. Quite sensible.

I mean, there's also the fact that we barely know anything and are going off a translated german DLC code? Maybe we should let Nintendo actually present info on what it is before we bust out the torches and pitchforks?

Someone else said something that I thought was quite interesting. What if they implement 1 island per household, but it's a massive island that a bunch of people can populate their own section of it and work together to build bigger things? Hell that might actually get me interested in AC! It could be something like that! All I'm saying is let's let them actually speak before we jump down their throats?

I’d say a big part of the problem is how silent Nintendo has been about the game. They’d stop a lot of the speculation by just having a direct and addressing some of these things. It’s not like it’s an unreasonable thing to expect when the game is so close to release.

Who is to say they won't though? I get that we are coming up on the release date but there is still plenty of time for them to do a direct on it.

I’m sure they’re going to. But this is what’s going to happen until they do. Silence is just going to lead people to believe that they’re not talking because it’s all bad news. This game should have been talked about a long time ago.

I know what it leads to. It's still well within my rights to tell people to knock off the sillyness until we get some actual concrete info.

There's a big diff between speculating on the info we have and jumping to conclusions based on incomplete information. This thread is leaning toward the latter. Don't shoot the messenger!

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Is loud fan noise in handheld mode occasionally a bad sign? Should I get Nintendo to take a look or trade it for a new model asap? Like twice in the past month it's been really loud, I put it to sleep and wake it back up and it's fine.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I usually get the loud fan for about 30 seconds the first time I pick the Switch up after it's been snoozing for a while. It's done it consistently the whole time I've had it, doesn't seem to be a problem!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I usually get the loud fan for about 30 seconds the first time I pick the Switch up after it's been snoozing for a while. It's done it consistently the whole time I've had it, doesn't seem to be a problem!

It's just spinning up the fans to blow out all the bad vibes it may have accumulated since you last played.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Remember when permadeath was the rule of the land in Fire Emblem, but people who didn't want to lose a unit would just save scum the game?

And how, instead of doubling down and finding a way to keep you from reviving units, they just found a way to work it into the game so that if you liked permadeath, you could play that way, and if you didn't, you had a separate mode so you didn't have to keep resetting the game?

Good times...

To make this analogous to this situation, imagine if a month before Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones came out an incindiary news article with the headline "newest Fire Emblem game has permadeath!" comes out and focuses on why that's bad and doesn't mention that previous games in the series had permadeath. Then someone posts the article in this thread and people, including those who have never played an FE game and the article is their only source for their vitriol, attack Nintendo for being evil/lazy/stupid/incompetent for making that decision. It's not fully analogous because in one case it's adding something and the other it's removing something and the way people respond to those things is different, but I hope you get the gist.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It's REALLY not different to say "Latest Nintendo game contains laughable design decision" vs "Latest Nintendo game retains a laughable design decision from the 90s." The problem is the design decision, not for how long of a period they've been refusing to change.

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hey switch thread who would win in a fight (for my heart) Spyro or Crash? Not sure what kind of info I can provide to make the choice easier. I guess I'm more of a Mario guy then Sonic. I don't mind collectathons but I'm not into 100% games.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Speaking of which... Are there any places giving good pre-order bonuses for Animal Crossing? I have the gamers club card which gives me 20% off but for some cool goodies I think I'd be willing to pay more.

urahonky on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    Hey switch thread who would win in a fight (for my heart) Spyro or Crash? Not sure what kind of info I can provide to make the choice easier. I guess I'm more of a Mario guy then Sonic. I don't mind collectathons but I'm not into 100% games.

I think the general consensus is that the OG Spyro games have aged better than the OG Crash games. The Crash collection is REALLY difficult. (Though that may be a selling point for most of you.)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Speaking of which... Are there any places giving good pre-order bonuses for Animal Crossing? I have the gamers club card which gives me 20% off but for some cool goodies I think I'd be willing to pay more.

The only US one I know of is a journal thingie from Target. It keeps going sold out, but is usually available again the next day.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Is loud fan noise in handheld mode occasionally a bad sign?
    When I read that part, I thought you were euphemistically referring to internet forum discussions...

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    When I read that part, I thought you were euphemistically referring to internet forum discussions...

What a terrible feature that would be.

Imagine if your switch just started shouting twitter and reddit posts at you about the game you were playiing.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I started my Switch and it immediately began telling me about the Pokemon I'll never catch.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »

What a terrible feature that would be.

Imagine if your switch just started shouting twitter and reddit posts at you about the game you were playiing.

Basically a streamer, but without the donations.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I mean, this is 2020. every one else is in 2020. PC, Xbox, PlayStation, iOS, Android... They've evolved a TON since Animal Crossing on the Gamecube. Hell, even the 3DS was far behind the competition in the online-ownership-multiple systems-user accounts issues.

That's why we are reasonably upset. Not raging or weaving narratives. It's been time for nintendo to get on with the program for ages, and AC just reminds us how far back they are.

AC is a game that's all about years of playing a bit every day (and binging sometimes, of course). Saves and transfers and individual ownership are very important. Nintendo is making it very hard for people to deal with those things.

I mean, there's also the fact that we barely know anything and are going off a translated german DLC code? Maybe we should let Nintendo actually present info on what it is before we bust out the torches and pitchforks?

Someone else said something that I thought was quite interesting. What if they implement 1 island per household, but it's a massive island that a bunch of people can populate their own section of it and work together to build bigger things? Hell that might actually get me interested in AC! It could be something like that! All I'm saying is let's let them actually speak before we jump down their throats?

I’d say a big part of the problem is how silent Nintendo has been about the game. They’d stop a lot of the speculation by just having a direct and addressing some of these things. It’s not like it’s an unreasonable thing to expect when the game is so close to release.

Who is to say they won't though? I get that we are coming up on the release date but there is still plenty of time for them to do a direct on it.

I’m sure they’re going to. But this is what’s going to happen until they do. Silence is just going to lead people to believe that they’re not talking because it’s all bad news. This game should have been talked about a long time ago.

I know what it leads to. It's still well within my rights to tell people to knock off the sillyness until we get some actual concrete info.

There's a big diff between speculating on the info we have and jumping to conclusions based on incomplete information. This thread is leaning toward the latter. Don't shoot the messenger!

no one is jumping to conclusions ore shooting any messengers. No one is heated or picking up pitchforks other than you and that other dude. We are just calmly and sensibly expressing our very mild opinion about a company being slow about doing things. i mean i don't even really care, i'm the only one playing games in my home. It's just that "nintendo should catch up" is a recurring subject, and we do wish they would, everyone would win, including them.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I think the general consensus is that the OG Spyro games have aged better than the OG Crash games. The Crash collection is REALLY difficult. (Though that may be a selling point for most of you.)

Hmm that might be all I need to know. I'll probably pick up Crash at some point but I'm definitely not into exceedingly difficult games.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I went into the digital store to browse, and checked my gold points and Nintendo cash on a lark. I apparently have nearly $90 in my account. So, I need suggestions. What I have and/or have completed:
    Zelda: BotW
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses
    Mario + Rabbids
    Yoshi's Crafted World
    Final Fantasy XII
    Octopath Traveler
    Chef Brigade
    Golf Story
    Hyper Light Drifter
    Azure Striker Gunvolt
    Mighty Gunvolt Burst
    Puyo Puyo Tetris
    Tetris 99
    Lumines
    Capcom Beat 'em Up Bundle
    Fast RMX
    Mark of the Ninja
    Shovel Knight
    Probably a few others I'm forgetting

Titles I'm NOT interested in:
    Final Fantasy VII (played it/completed it too many times)
    Final Fantasy VIII (don't like it)
    Hollow Knight (I'm weary about the platforming, and I'm probably the only person on the planet that doesn't like its aesthetic)
    Ori (ditto)
    Celeste
    Splatoon
    Arms
    Anything that requires waggle
    Likely others, depending on what they are

Thanks!

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020

no one is jumping to conclusions ore shooting any messengers. No one is heated or picking up pitchforks other than you and that other dude. We are just calmly and sensibly expressing our very mild opinion about a company being slow about doing things. i mean i don't even really care, i'm the only one playing games in my home. It's just that "nintendo should catch up" is a recurring subject, and we do wish they would, everyone would win, including them.

Ah yes the "no one but you" retort and the "the people calling me out are the REAL culprits!" argument, this convo is over.

Edit: bruh I didn't even read your post or mention your name once.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I have both Crash and Spyro and played through Spyro 1 and 2 and halfway through Crash 1 they're very different styles with the levels and such Crash being more of a start to finish style of levels with few secrets here or there and spyro having the much more wide open level design.

Personally i'd suggest Spyro.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    I think the lack of cloud backup is inexcusable in this day and age. I lost a 1+ yr town in New Leaf due to a memory card failure. I don't personally care about the multi-island thing, but it's stupid for Nintendo to not make accomodations for families, etc. I don't think Nintendo gets a pass for anti-consumer decisions just because they're some kind of "design philosophy."

That said, I just pre-ordered AC because I'm playing it regardless, so *shrug*

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I went into the digital store to browse, and checked my gold points and Nintendo cash on a lark. I apparently have nearly $90 in my account. So, I need suggestions. What I have and/or have completed:
    Mario + Rabbids
    Yoshi's Crafted World
    Final Fantasy XII
    Octopath Traveler
    Chef Brigade
    Golf Story
    Hyper Light Drifter
    Azure Striker Gunvolt
    Mighty Gunvolt Burst
    Puyo Puyo Tetris
    Tetris 99
    Lumines
    Fast RMX
    Mark of the Ninja
    Shovel Knight

Hollow Knight (I'm weary about the platforming, and I'm probably the only person on the planet that doesn't like its aesthetic)
    Ori (ditto)
    Celeste
    Splatoon
    Arms

Thanks!

Return of the Obra Dinn. In a sea of roguelikes and PUBG-likes and Zelda-likes and Super Meat Boy-likes and Overcooked-likes, it feels like a rare example of a genuinely new game with new ideas. One of the best titles I've ever played.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Mario + Rabbids
    Yoshi's Crafted World
    Final Fantasy XII
    Octopath Traveler
    Chef Brigade
    Golf Story
    Hyper Light Drifter
    Azure Striker Gunvolt
    Mighty Gunvolt Burst
    Puyo Puyo Tetris
    Tetris 99
    Lumines
    Fast RMX
    Mark of the Ninja
    Shovel Knight

Ori (ditto)
    Celeste
    Splatoon
    Arms

Thanks!

If you’re interested in more jrpgs, check out Dragon Quest XI, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and Ni No Kuni. Dragon Quest Builders 2 is also great and way more jrpg than you’d think but it’s a lot of Minecraft too.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Crash Bandicoot the First is pretty difficult in a frustrating, archaic way. 2 and especially 3 are much more forgiving, though they all feature some very challenging optional time trials.

I've only played the first remastered Spyro so far, having never played it as a babba. It was exceptionally easy! Like, sleepwalk through it. It was very nice and relaxing, but absolutely zero challenge to it, if that's what ya want in a platformer.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Having only really been introduced to both via the recent Switch releases (PlayStation demo discs notwithstanding), I preferred Spyro, personally.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Translation:
    [Thanks] The Atlas 2020 questionnaire survey had a record-high number of participants, far exceeding expectations, and ended early today at 15:00 on Monday, February 10. Many valuable opinions, thank you very much. Congo Tomoyoshiku, please.

I don't know for sure what that congo bit means but I'm gonna take it as an unprecedented partnership with Nintendo to joint develop a Donkey Kong game.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Mario + Rabbids
    Yoshi's Crafted World
    Final Fantasy XII
    Octopath Traveler
    Chef Brigade
    Golf Story
    Hyper Light Drifter
    Azure Striker Gunvolt
    Mighty Gunvolt Burst
    Puyo Puyo Tetris
    Tetris 99
    Lumines
    Fast RMX
    Mark of the Ninja
    Shovel Knight

Ori (ditto)
    Celeste
    Splatoon
    Arms

Thanks!

Return of the Obra Dinn. In a sea of roguelikes and PUBG-likes and Zelda-likes and Super Meat Boy-likes and Overcooked-likes, it feels like a rare example of a genuinely new game with new ideas. One of the best titles I've ever played.

You're not discounting ARMs because it requires waggle are you? Because it doesnt. I was p much undefeated in that game online in the short time I played it and I didn't use waggle once.

BTW that word is old school AF, "waggle", all the way back to the golden times of the Wii era!

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    BTW that word is old school AF, "waggle", all the way back to the golden times of the Wii era!

I did a quick google search and this is the earliest record it found of the word waggle on the PA forums, just a few months after the Wii's release:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/12477/dragon-quest-swords-where-steel-meets-slime/p1

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

I did a quick google search and this is the earliest record it found of the word waggle on the PA forums, just a few months after the Wii's release:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/12477/dragon-quest-swords-where-steel-meets-slime/p1

I wonder if that's a google ranking search, or if it's one of those preferential rankings based on sites you visit that google does. Cause that'd be really funny.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Mario + Rabbids
    Yoshi's Crafted World
    Final Fantasy XII
    Octopath Traveler
    Chef Brigade
    Golf Story
    Hyper Light Drifter
    Azure Striker Gunvolt
    Mighty Gunvolt Burst
    Puyo Puyo Tetris
    Tetris 99
    Lumines
    Fast RMX
    Mark of the Ninja
    Shovel Knight

Ori (ditto)
    Celeste
    Splatoon
    Arms

Thanks!

You're not discounting ARMs because it requires waggle are you? Because it doesnt. I was p much undefeated in that game online in the short time I played it and I didn't use waggle once.

I'm automatically discounting any game that requires motion controls, of any kind, because I'm physically disabled and such controls are 100% not accessible for me. I play games to escape my limitations, not to have them shoved back in my face.

EDIT: For clarity, I'm not suggesting that you are shoving my disability in my face, but rather that it's what encountering motion controls feels like. Even in BotW, in the few shrines that relied on motion controls, it was extremely frustrating for me. Being able to otherwise dismantle the game via the controller, only to have what would be trivial for nearly everyone else become an impassible barrier is... hard to describe, but definitely not fun. Which is why I simply avoid any game that has any kind of motion controls.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Translation:

[Thanks] The Atlas 2020 questionnaire survey had a record-high number of participants, far exceeding expectations, and ended early today at 15:00 on Monday, February 10. Many valuable opinions, thank you very much. Congo Tomoyoshiku, please.

I'm assuming this is google translate. It looks like "kongoto mo yoroshiku" i.e. please [treat us nicely] next time.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    It is in fact the regular Japanese polite / businesslike phrase, "今後ともよろしくお願いいたします" / "congo tomo yoroshiku onegaishimasu" which means something to the effect of "I hope we (continue to) work well and get along", only the part where it is all in katakana like that is a continual throwback to Atlus games; demons say this when you successfully recruit them in the JP language versions and the way they use katakana for the "congo tomo yoroshiku" part imply it's phonetically accentuated because they are demons and likely saying it in a particularly threatening, sardonic fashion. The kind of way you'd politely tell someone I'll be glad to work with you, this time, but your expression and voice make it clear that there will be sudden but inevitable betrayal.

5bxvml5v5pql.jpg

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    That's very cool. A nod to Atlus fans, and a welcome bit of personality in a message from a Japanese company.

Thanks for the explanation!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    A streamer by the name of Matt McMuscles has a YouTube series called Wha Happun, which takes a deep dive into games that had a rocky development. It's goofy but pretty thoroughly researched, and gives you a pretty good idea of, well, wha happun.

He's been doing Nintendo-published games lately, and just did a deep dive into Devil's Third.

https://youtu.be/3Gu4p9NgswA

He also took a cool look at Starfox Adventures.

https://youtu.be/pWJg0kNkltg

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Matt is super great, i never miss any Wha Happuns

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Matt is super great, i never miss any Wha Happuns

Too bad he has to pay Woolie royalties every time he says Wha Happuns

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I don't know if I can watch any of those videos on principle because of the spelling.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    urahonky wrote: »
    I don't know if I can watch any of those videos on principle because of the spelling.

urahonky

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    No problems there, he's the ur version of a honky. The ur-"a honky". The removal of the dash and quotes is questionable, but I think that might fall under grammar rather than spelling.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    Lately I've been watching old Mystery Science Theater 3000s yet again and sometimes they say Wha Happun and I was wondering about it's origins.

The only other place I remember it from is in the song Civilization from Fallout 3 ("Magazine? Wha happun?").

Anyway thanks for triggering Baader-Meinhof for me. :P

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I did say after the devil's third video was posted the twilight of the WIIU was a weird time
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6SRm1QdQjU