As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    I played Hexen in 1996 and the coolest weapon ever designed set my name in stone for eternity. I'm surprised it isn't taken more in services since it's ripped right from a game but I guess it helps that the game is 24 years old now. Unfortunately it's a long name so I sometimes have to shorten it to Wraith which, as expected, is taken nearly 100% of the time.

To keep things on topic: I played Children of Morta and loved it so much I stopped playing so I could enjoy it with my brother online when they patch in online. I really hope it finds a popularity resurgence because it's clearly a labour of love.

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    This is the sort of off topic conversation I can get behind.
    I'm behind you!
    Made you look!

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I played Hexen in 1996 and the coolest weapon ever designed set my name in stone for eternity. I'm surprised it isn't taken more in services since it's ripped right from a game but I guess it helps that the game is 24 years old now. Unfortunately it's a long name so I sometimes have to shorten it to Wraith which, as expected, is taken nearly 100% of the time.

To keep things on topic: I played Children of Morta and loved it so much I stopped playing so I could enjoy it with my brother online when they patch in online. I really hope it finds a popularity resurgence because it's clearly a labour of love.

Back when Heretic came out, I had a friend who, like me, had multiple phone lines in his house. We turned on speakerphones, he dialed in to my computer, and we played through the campaign co-op with voice chat.

It was the most early version of where things would be going and it is seared forever in my brain as being a "whoa, this is the future" moment.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    This is the sort of off topic conversation I can get behind.
    I'm behind you!
    Made you look!

It clearly says you're in a bedroom in Ireland

I'm right behind you!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    https://t witter.com/Atlus_jp/status/1226751522144260096

Translation:
    [Thanks] The Atlas 2020 questionnaire survey had a record-high number of participants, far exceeding expectations, and ended early today at 15:00 on Monday, February 10. Many valuable opinions, thank you very much. Congo Tomoyoshiku, please.

I don't know for sure what that congo bit means but I'm gonna take it as an unprecedented partnership with Nintendo to joint develop a Donkey Kong game.

This is cool. I hope something silly like Dokapon Kingdom comes back too.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I didn’t notice the name thing going on before.

I still wish I had started here like 1 year later when I moved on permanently to klineshrike. Kai_san is just a stupid crap attempt at a cool sounding Japanese thing. I got Kai from the kaiser weapons in final fantasy and San because I heard it used but never knew what it was. Even worse I was like 19 when I signed up here so not even a kid really.

Klineshrike though should be my name and it’s just the first and last names of one of the many characters I made up for the rpg series I conceptualize in my free time. Kline was someone I knew growing up’s last name and shrike I had no idea what it was but somehow heard before. Later on learned it’s a bird. Unintentional though.

• Options

Translation:
    [Thanks] The Atlas 2020 questionnaire survey had a record-high number of participants, far exceeding expectations, and ended early today at 15:00 on Monday, February 10. Many valuable opinions, thank you very much. Congo Tomoyoshiku, please.

I don't know for sure what that congo bit means but I'm gonna take it as an unprecedented partnership with Nintendo to joint develop a Donkey Kong game.

I would LOVE Dokapon Kingdom on the Switch

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Translation:

My 16 year old son introduced it to his friends last year and they're all crazy for it, they have party nights for it.

Name is a mashup of previous usernames, Chisel from World of Warcraft and Cellophane from Puzzle Pirates. It was pretty difficult to get other accounts with either of those names, the mashup made everything much easier in that regard.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

Translation:

You have friends you'd like to get rid of too I see.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Translation:

You have friends you'd like to get rid of too I see.

children

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Chat with my sister from a few days ago:

Vmfsq1c.png

;_;

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    By the way, at $113 Dokapon Kingdom is (debatably) the most valuable standalone Wii game.

Everything valued higher are things like Rock Band games complete with instruments (Beatles Rock Band Limited Edition the most valuable Wii thing).

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    By the way, at $113 Dokapon Kingdom is (debatably) the most valuable standalone Wii game.

Everything valued higher are things like Rock Band games complete with instruments (Beatles Rock Band Limited Edition the most valuable Wii thing).

Holy shit, and my copy is just gathering dust? :confused:

• Options

damn, I have that and Radiant Dawn

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Count me in on the "had this name forever" bandwagon. I was a teenager, AND it was the '90s, resulting in what you see before you here.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Although in my case, I wanted to be just 'Anubis', but that name was already taken on whatever site I first wanted to sign up for. So I was like, well, I could just jam a couple of numbers after that name to make it unique or I could slap another god's name in front of it.

I still maintain that between those two choices, I made the correct choice.

But I'm not sure I made the right choice overall.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Count me in on the "had this name forever" bandwagon. I was a teenager, AND it was the '90s, resulting in what you see before you here.

Yeah, pretty much this.

Although in my case, I wanted to be just 'Anubis', but that name was already taken on whatever site I first wanted to sign up for. So I was like, well, I could just jam a couple of numbers after that name to make it unique or I could slap another god's name in front of it.

I still maintain that between those two choices, I made the correct choice.

But I'm not sure I made the right choice overall.

I dunno I quite like WotanAnubis, honestly.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Complete copies of the Dokapon games that made it west(Kingdom, Journey, Monster Hunter) each sell for over $100. That franchise is a magnet for collectors.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

Complete copies of the Dokapon games that made it west(Kingdom, Journey, Monster Hunter) each sell for over $100. That franchise is a magnet for collectors.

Hmm I only have the disc for mine :(

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    I picked up Dokapon Kingdom on the recommendation from a friend I don't see often but I always end up bullshitting about games for hours with and trust his opinions..it didn't end up being the riotous fun time I was sold on, but I was past my phase where I was broke and willing to sell old games to get new ones so it still sits on my shelf, still complete. That it appreciated quite a bit is a happy accident.
    Re: usernames, my name is kind of a chicken and egg thing. I can't remember if my troll rogue in WoW was the first instance of me using the name, or if me drawing a dumb troll on a whiteboard while Sporky and I worked together caused him to name it Dr. Phibbs McAthey. It might be that he came up with the Dr. and McAthey parts (the latter based in part on my irl surname which is unfortunate lack of discretion on 18 year old me's part). In any case, I've gone by Phibbs or DrPhibbs on almost everything since. I've tried other usernames on for size elsewhere but nothing's ever stuck. If I could change my name here, I'd just drop the McAthey part.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    If folks haven't looked yet, heads up that there are some pretty great deals today. Phoenix Wright, Street Fighter Collection and Okami are their lowest prices ever and there's just a bunch of Capcom, Ubisoft and Lego stuff on sale. I'm wiped after spending birthday money - but still a bunch of temptations out there making me wish my wallet and sd card weren't already hiding from me.

• Options
    Dokapon Kingdom does take a pretty long time to get really really good. Unless you start at level 25 or so.

• Options
    Dokapon Kingdom does take a pretty long time to get really really good. Unless you start at level 25 or so.

Yeah, I didn't realize how freaking long games take, but my friend and I played a single session for a couple weeks. One thing is for sure, unlike Monopoly or Fortune Street, you are never out of a game of Dokapon. There's so many ways to come back it's ridiculous lol.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I played Dokapon Kingdom over the course of two years with some college friends and we finally stopped when the person in last place did something that removed all of our assets. Here’s a handy graph:

tumblr_mw4tzbTr811qlepd7o1_1280.jpg

I’m green btw.

It’s a good game but you have to treat it like a D&D campaign and not a party game.

• Options
    that's the most Dokapon screen shot ever

except none of you have the poop haircut

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Haircuts can eventually be changed back!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Golf Story is a game I waited to go on sale for an extremely long time. It finally did and I subsequently haven’t even loaded it up once.

I’m working on Death Mark right now. I’m also juggling Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Dragon Quest V on my phone now that I replaced/upgraded.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    golf story is amazeballs

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I grabbed TMS this weekend and it's translated quite well to Switch, I am pretty pleased. Still a really fun and challenging battle system, a rarity imo for the genre, and I am pretty fond of Touma and his sentai obsession.
    Still sorta baffled as to what Itsuki is even doing in the story with everyone else, two chapters in. He doesn't sing or dance or act but somehow has "performa" possessed exclusively by people who do those things and his role is basically to pat his pals on the back and say "you're cool".

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Still sorta baffled as to what Itsuki is even doing in the story with everyone else, two chapters in. He doesn't sing or dance or act but somehow has "performa" possessed exclusively by people who do those things and his role is basically to pat his pals on the back and say "you're cool".

He regularly wonders the same thing too during that time, so the writing is not unaware of this.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    New Nintendo Switch Online games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plNusehQ1Ds

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

He regularly wonders the same thing too during that time, so the writing is not unaware of this.

I guess I've not caught much emphasis on that, he just seems to be like "iunno" and the supporting cast laughs it off. Hadn't occurred to me that might be the point.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Wow, new NSO games is a surprise. It's felt like they've been done with that and happy with the current selection for a while.

So it looks like they specifically wanted to target multiplayer games here. Such random choices...Twinbee is good but I've never heard of the other two. That's weird to me, a NES game I don't think I've ever seen once, or read about, or tried out at any time. Looks like it was made by complete unknowns very late in the NES's life. Weeeeeeird!

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

I guess I've not caught much emphasis on that, he just seems to be like "iunno" and the supporting cast laughs it off. Hadn't occurred to me that might be the point.

Yeah I though this was weird too. I was a little blindsided that Tsubasa almost immediately takes a more diminished role than Itsuki. She shoulda been center stage... on the literal stage. Even Touma too.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    That's some deep cuts there to delay putting DKC on the service.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Wow, new NSO games is a surprise. It's felt like they've been done with that and happy with the current selection for a while.

So it looks like they specifically wanted to target multiplayer games here. Such random choices...Twinbee is good but I've never heard of the other two. That's weird to me, a NES game I don't think I've ever seen once, or read about, or tried out at any time. Looks like it was made by complete unknowns very late in the NES's life. Weeeeeeird!

Whenever I encounter a NES game I haven’t seen before I look up The Mexican Runner’s Nesmania playthrough.

https://youtu.be/vuYrYFW_Jnk

https://youtu.be/g05eVLojtOU

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    That's some deep cuts there to delay putting DKC on the service.

I read that Japan got that tennis game last time, when we got Breath of Fire 2. This time we get tennis and they get Breath of Fire 2. So I guess that makes sense.

Some people say the ninja game is kinda dope. It looks fun in multiplayer.
    Taramoor wrote: »

Whenever I encounter a NES game I haven’t seen before I look up The Mexican Runner’s Nesmania playthrough.

ht tps://youtu .be/vuYrYFW_Jnk

Hahahaha I was primarily talking about the boat one!

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Oh shit, I remember Shadow of the Ninja! I wanted that game bad after renting it. Never found or played it again. Now is the time!

Thanks Nintendo!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

Got it for $15 bucks at Fry's Electronics, great game. We need something like it on the Switch.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    I think this is the first time Pop'n Twinbee has been officially released in North America? Back in the day it was only localized for Europe.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/BqxP1o3od6I

So, a couple of things:

1) One day, there will be another console Mario Kart.
    2) I expect we won't see the the city courses from Tour in it.
    3) I expect we won't get these costumes in it, either.
    4) I'm actually at a point where 3 kind of disappoints me (2 just feels like a given), even despite years of bemoaning Metal Marios and Baby Peaches.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!