As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    So psyched about new titles in the NES/SNES Switch Online packaging. Breath of Fire II is now consuming my handheld time, and it is gloriously old school.

In spite of the awful translation it really is a great game.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    So psyched about new titles in the NES/SNES Switch Online packaging. Breath of Fire II is now consuming my handheld time, and it is gloriously old school.

Make sure you glance at an FAQ. There are some pretty major permanent missables, and they require doing some shit that you'd never do.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    If anyone is traveling through DCA, SEA, ORD or DAL in the next month, you may want to arrive early for some extra Switch multiplayer action:

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/2020/nintendo-switch-lounges-offer-travelers-gateways-to-adventure-at-us-airports/

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Like O'Hare or Dallas need more things to make me late

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Like O'Hare or Dallas need more things to make me late

Tell me about it. Papadeux, great restaurants and bars in Terminal D... I'd almost go there and not hop a plane.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

In spite of the awful translation it really is a great game.

My only issue is that BoF2 epitomizes the tropes in RPGs where you must fetch 20 different things before one guy will give you any information or help you in any way.

psm_everyrpgever.jpg

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Yes, and then you help the guy with his problem and he says it was last seen in the hands of a thief beyond the great bridge, which inexplicably is no longer guarded by the king's men who wouldn't let you pass until just now.

Honestly I am ok with Dragon Quest where a lot of the time you're essentially just going around solving individual towns' problems. That mini-story problem solving IS your goal. Particularly in DQ9.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Yes, and then you help the guy with his problem and he says it was last seen in the hands of a thief beyond the great bridge, which inexplicably is no longer guarded by the king's men who wouldn't let you pass until just now.

Honestly I am ok with Dragon Quest where a lot of the time you're essentially just going around solving individual towns' problems. That mini-story problem solving IS your goal. Particularly in DQ9.

Funny. That kind of shit drove me up the wall with DQ11.

Yeah, guys, it's not like we're on a quest to save the world or anything. Sure we can drop all of it and go help this random kid who lost his voice, find out what happened to this sad mermaid's boyfriend, check out the local tourist attraction, etc etc. Why the fuck not?

I think I could tolerate it in older RPGs because it was like... one or two lines of dialogue telling you "Hey, here's where the next dungeon is, and here's a flimsy rationale." When instead you're stuck in five minutes of cutscenes each to introduce it, during it, and resolving it, all for the same flimsy godawful rationale, it gets... grating.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I'm actually going through BoF1 for shits and giggles, and I think the best way to describe it is that it feels like the missing link between NES RPG's and SNES RPG's. More modern than NES, but far less intricate as late SNES.

Actually that's something you can say for most games of that time. When I close my eyes and picture an SNES game, it's the later stuff. FF3, the X games, Yoshi's Island, and so on. But with a lot of the launch and early SNES games, you can now really see how they're just NES games with 16 bit colour.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I'm actually going through BoF1 for shits and giggles, and I think the best way to describe it is that it feels like the missing link between NES RPG's and SNES RPG's. More modern than NES, but far less intricate as late SNES.

Actually that's something you can say for most games of that time. When I close my eyes and picture an SNES game, it's the later stuff. FF3, the X games, Yoshi's Island, and so on. But with a lot of the launch and early SNES games, you can now really see how they're just NES games with 16 bit colour.

Haha, I always think the same thing about FF4. It feels like they were making it for NES and shrugged and retooled it slightly to release on the new system. The sprites are the same size and design, just with a little more color. You can especially see it in demakes like this.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nice. DMC3 was a midnight release.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Debating on whether or not I'll watch the Animal Crossing Direct due to spoilers. I know I'm getting the game and would rather dive in fresh other than knowing that there's building now.

If something big does get announced would it be possible to put it behind spoilers? I'd appreciate it.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    AC direct starting now btw

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Aww yeah this jazzy music.

• Options
    Animal Crossing is really pretty.

Right now I'm ok without it in my life because I've done this song and dance enough times to know how it ends, with me simply abandoning it one day and thinking "my god how many hours of my life did I spend on that, only to not even complete all the collections or anything, and now it's all overgrown with weeds and rotting away..."

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

Right now I'm ok without it in my life because I've done this song and dance enough times to know how it ends, with me simply abandoning it one day and thinking "my god how many hours of my life did I spend on that, only to not even complete all the collections or anything, and now it's all overgrown with weeds and rotting away..."

Luckily neither of my kids have played AC, so I have a built in excuse to buy even though I have the same thought as you rummaging in the back of my mind.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular

I'm trying to decide if I want to get it myself for this very reason. New Leaf was fun but now I'm scared to go back to my town because it must be a wasteland by now.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    I'm pretty fine with that to be honest. There's a ton of games that I play that simply have no end, Animal Crossing was simply one of the first, possibly a Harvest Moon (I know, I know, they have endings but I can count on one hand how many I've played and gotten to that ending, and they let you keep playing more often than not anyway). Plus this one has some really awesome features. The only downside in my mind is not being able to change the camera perspective to the top-down of the first game.

• Options
    Yeah is it really a waste of life if you were enjoying yourself in the moment? Stardew Valley is one of my favorite games ever and I've yet to make it past 2 years into the game because I just put it down after a while.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Has there been any indication that they've improved inventory management in the new AC? In particular, the fact that fruit didn't auto-stack on pickup (and only stacked to 9) was beyond tedious in New Leaf.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah is it really a waste of life if you were enjoying yourself in the moment? Stardew Valley is one of my favorite games ever and I've yet to make it past 2 years into the game because I just put it down after a while.

Well some of us aren't sociopaths who can just turn our back on the societies we built with creatures who depend on us without feeling guilty about it. Thank goodness you weren't born a God, you monster.

Fuck, now I'm wondering what my town would look like if I hopped back on to my 3DS copy. Its probably overgrown weeds and animal skeletons everywhere. Oh God, I'M the monster!

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Well some of us aren't sociopaths who can just turn our back on the societies we built with creatures who depend on us without feeling guilty about it. Thank goodness you weren't born a God, you monster.

Fuck, now I'm wondering what my town would look like if I hopped back on to my 3DS copy. Its probably overgrown weeds and animal skeletons everywhere. Oh God, I'M the monster!

my 3DS XL battery exploded nearly a year ago, and I haven't touched the handheld since I pulled the battery out to dispose of. I actually just bought a new battery to stick in so I can get all my pokeymans from the 3DS games into Bank so I can get them into home. Now I'm definitely going to fire up New Leaf for the first time in like 3 years and see what happens.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Pretty great direct this morning. They have added so many options to customize your perfect island. This will be the best one me thinks.

My wife and I are already planning how we want to put it all together. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Well, it's more than that for me. Lately I've become more and more cognizant of finding myself logging into the same game every day for 5 minutes to an hour to get some daily item, or do the daily quests, whether that amounts to killing boars for bonus gold, or completing some Nightwave objectives on Venus, or shaking all my trees.

The introduction of Nightwave to Warframe completely burned me out on the game really quickly. The fun wasn't necessarily doing the missions, it was the cool goodies you get from the missions after doing them for weeks.

I'd also been playing Elder Scrolls Online for a really long time, maybe the longest I've played anything continuously, not missing a day for daily log in bonus for stretches, and playing expansions when they came out. And it was just too many hours logged. I can't go back to it because I don't want to end up in that loop again.

I've been trying to minimize the number of games that enforce some kind of small daily commitment, and Animal Crossing epitomizes that to me. I'm not sure I have fun tracking down the fossils every day, when the whole reason I'm doing it is to one day have an awesome perfect museum. How much fun is that really, at the end of the day? Everybody's got their own answer, I guess.

With your example of Stardew, that's not a game with a real time element, so I don't have to commit to anything daily, even if I do end up playing it daily for a while. I can pick it back up at any time, and also play as long as I like, no 24 hour cooldown or anything.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

my 3DS XL battery exploded nearly a year ago, and I haven't touched the handheld since I pulled the battery out to dispose of. I actually just bought a new battery to stick in so I can get all my pokeymans from the 3DS games into Bank so I can get them into home. Now I'm definitely going to fire up New Leaf for the first time in like 3 years and see what happens.

Thankfully Nintendo would never make it so when you come back years later your town looks like something out of Mad Max with the decomposing corpses of your once friendly denizens strewn about like yard decorations. It would be hilariously horrifying, but a touch too far for the Big N. At most your town would be deserted with a single ghost floating about asking why you had forsaken them.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Pretty great direct this morning. They have added so many options to customize your perfect island. This will be the best one me thinks.

My wife and I are already planning how we want to put it all together. :D

Is it spoilers to talk about some of the new features?
    Terraforming is crazy and makes it like a minor Minecraft. What if you expand your river tiles repeatedly and flood the entire island, leaving only space for your house?

Can you re-create a section of Link to the Past? Re-create Kakariko Village perfectly?

UncleSporky on
  • Options

Well, it's more than that for me. Lately I've become more and more cognizant of finding myself logging into the same game every day for 5 minutes to an hour to get some daily item, or do the daily quests, whether that amounts to killing boars for bonus gold, or completing some Nightwave objectives on Venus, or shaking all my trees.

The introduction of Nightwave to Warframe completely burned me out on the game really quickly. The fun wasn't necessarily doing the missions, it was the cool goodies you get from the missions after doing them for weeks.

I'd also been playing Elder Scrolls Online for a really long time, maybe the longest I've played anything continuously, not missing a day for daily log in bonus for stretches, and playing expansions when they came out. And it was just too many hours logged. I can't go back to it because I don't want to end up in that loop again.

I've been trying to minimize the number of games that enforce some kind of small daily commitment, and Animal Crossing epitomizes that to me. I'm not sure I have fun tracking down the fossils every day, when the whole reason I'm doing it is to one day have an awesome perfect museum. How much fun is that really, at the end of the day? Everybody's got their own answer, I guess.

With your example of Stardew, that's not a game with a real time element, so I don't have to commit to anything daily, even if I do end up playing it daily for a while. I can pick it back up at any time, and also play as long as I like, no 24 hour cooldown or anything.

Yeah that's MMO syndrome and I hate it.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I finally ordered a 128GB card for my Switch, anticipating that I'll likely pick up AC digitally.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Has there been any indication that they've improved inventory management in the new AC? In particular, the fact that fruit didn't auto-stack on pickup (and only stacked to 9) was beyond tedious in New Leaf.

They showed your house having "invisible" storage, so yes?

But you guys... I think New Horizons might have too many features. Having this much control over the island is going to give me design paralysis.

I was worried tho... Got through part 1 of the Direct and was thinking, "OMG, are you even gonna give me a house?!" I was worried that tent was all I'd have forever.

I love choosing villager tent/house locations. I love being able to move things later. That museum... Oh I'm just gonna put that aquarium up on the big screen all day. I love pole-vaulting over the rivers. I love that we can bring over patterns we had in the 3DS games. I love every dang thing I saw today.

One question I still have tho: Is grass going to degrade when we run over it? I saw that when others are playing locally, they won't be able to use destructive tools, but what about destroying flowers when they run over them? Imma have to fence off my hybrid garden, ain't I?

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »

They showed your house having "invisible" storage, so yes?

But you guys... I think New Horizons might have too many features. Having this much control over the island is going to give me design paralysis.

I was worried tho... Got through part 1 of the Direct and was thinking, "OMG, are you even gonna give me a house?!" I was worried that tent was all I'd have forever.

I love choosing villager tent/house locations. I love being able to move things later. That museum... Oh I'm just gonna put that aquarium up on the big screen all day. I love pole-vaulting over the rivers. I love that we can bring over patterns we had in the 3DS games. I love every dang thing I saw today.

One question I still have tho: Is grass going to degrade when we run over it? I saw that when others are playing locally, they won't be able to use destructive tools, but what about destroying flowers when they run over them? Imma have to fence off my hybrid garden, ain't I?

bs9b2iddrvir.png

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Not just MMOs, most games with an online component have this now. Like, The Division 2 and Battlefront 2 have daily tasks and one is a GaaS and one is just a multiplayer shooter.

I’ve been gravitating back to purely offline games to get away from it.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

Not just MMOs, most games with an online component have this now. Like, The Division 2 and Battlefront 2 have daily tasks and one is a GaaS and one is just a multiplayer shooter.

They call them tasks; I call them chores.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Some may call this junk. Me, I call them treasures.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Some may call this junk. Me, I call them treasures.

I was going to post this and decided against it.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
    Some of the shots you take end up in peoples' knees.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Anyone playing the new Darksiders and if so, is it any good?

I would like to give it a shot but maybe not at $40.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Theres some pretty cool import cases releasing in Japan for Animal Crossing.

https://www.play-asia.com/animal-crossing-protector-set-collection-for-nintendo-switch-lit/13/70d9ct?ref=emrs_empersonal

https://www.play-asia.com/slim-hard-case-collection-for-nintendo-switch-lite-animal-crossi/13/70d9af

slim-hard-case-collection-for-nintendo-switch-lite-animal-crossi-618567.2.jpg

animal-crossing-protector-set-collection-for-nintendo-switch-lit-618653.1.jpg

I mean I don't need these, I have perfection incarnate with the Waterfield case and the flip cover, this is just for you guys.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Have they made a 3 TB micro sd yet? :/

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Have they made a 3 TB micro sd yet? :/

SanDisk has 1TBs if you're willing to fork over $250.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Unless they just explained it poorly, this "can only restore your data once due to damage or losing your Switch" is absolute rubbish.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    -Loki- wrote: »

They call them tasks; I call them chores.

I solve this by ignoring them and doing what I want. Ever since WoW introduced dailies, games have been picking this concept up.

The problem is when a game decides daily chores are the endgame content.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment