Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    We played it this weekend on Gamepass on the XBox but I'm almost certain we're going to end up buying it on the Switch. It's really great.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I mean I've never played Two-Point Hospital but it seems only logical that the way to get a pan stuck to someone's head unstuck is to spray them with PAM.

That's exactly this game's type of humor so you're actually not far off.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Its not a purely arbitrary choice, denser memory is far more expensive, and barely any publishers want to pay the cost for 32gb cards as is, meaning its difficult to hit the needed numbers to justify manufacturing a 64gb option (although they appear to be working on this.) Something that costs several dollars is a deep ask for companies used to printing blu-rays for under a dollar. The only thing you can fault Nintendo for is not subsidizing the carts.

Now I'm curious what makes Switch carts so expensive compared to smaller, cheaper microSD cards -- which we're having to use anyway.

Switch carts are only used for Switch games. MicroSD carts could be anything! They could even be a Switch game!

I'm not saying to use actual microSD cards (even though we're having to, anyway), but rather, why Nintendo seemingly can't offer something comparable for their needs?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Its not a purely arbitrary choice, denser memory is far more expensive, and barely any publishers want to pay the cost for 32gb cards as is, meaning its difficult to hit the needed numbers to justify manufacturing a 64gb option (although they appear to be working on this.) Something that costs several dollars is a deep ask for companies used to printing blu-rays for under a dollar. The only thing you can fault Nintendo for is not subsidizing the carts.

Now I'm curious what makes Switch carts so expensive compared to smaller, cheaper microSD cards -- which we're having to use anyway.

Switch carts are only used for Switch games. MicroSD carts could be anything! They could even be a Switch game!

I'm not saying to use actual microSD cards (even though we're having to, anyway), but rather, why Nintendo seemingly can't offer something comparable for their needs?

Production costs for something that is slightly different from the norm. They might be SD cards on the insides but they are shaped differently (right? I actually haven't actually put them side by side).

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

If it’s not an actual microSD card then you’re producing something different and it’s going to be more expensive. Depending on how different, it may be much more expensive.

Nintendo may have had options for producing cheaper carts. They decided on these for their games for what are likely a whole host of reasons, but comparing the price of memory cards for Switch games to microsSD cards doesn’t make a huge amount of sense. They’re different things, made for different purposes.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

If it’s not an actual microSD card then you’re producing something different and it’s going to be more expensive. Depending on how different, it may be much more expensive.

Nintendo may have had options for producing cheaper carts. They decided on these for their games for what are likely a whole host of reasons, but comparing the price of memory cards for Switch games to microsSD cards doesn’t make a huge amount of sense. They’re different things, made for different purposes.

And they're very different, from a form factor perspective. So different they might as well be literal apples and oranges.

Whereas you have trillions of these microSD innards and shells pumping off lines in Asia and then being given a sticker. Maybe some get a higher capacity chip, but overall it's the exact same size and form as every other microSD card.

Meanwhile, the Switch cartridge is durable, much bigger, thicker, more ridges, etc. And they're a drop in the bucket quantity wise... millions compared to trillions is like 10 people compared to millions of people.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    durable, much bigger, thicker, more ridges
    We still talking about Switch cartridges, or...?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    durable, much bigger, thicker, more ridges
    We still talking about Switch cartridges, or...?

He’s talking about memory. Big, fat memory that nobody here would even remotely be able to fill with their data.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    How long do I have to suck on a switch cartridge before it stops tasting bad?

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    How long do I have to suck on a switch cartridge before it stops tasting bad?

I prefer to just bite them to get to that savory center.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I freely admit I don't know the logistics that go into one type of storage medium than the other, but what you all have said above makes sense. So it's basically an entirely different format, and standard metrics for how much certain amounts of memory cost don't apply here?

That does make me curious about other things... namely, were GameCube discs more expensive to produce than DVDs at the time? I knew their smaller size (and capacity) were deterrents for third-parties, but I'm wondering now if cost was a factor, too.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I freely admit I don't know the logistics that go into one type of storage medium than the other, but what you all have said above makes sense. So it's basically an entirely different format, and standard metrics for how much certain amounts of memory cost don't apply here?

See: Vita memory cards.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

That does make me curious about other things... namely, were GameCube discs more expensive to produce than DVDs at the time? I knew their smaller size (and capacity) were deterrents for third-parties, but I'm wondering now if cost was a factor, too.

Probably slightly more expensive, but manufacturing mini discs was a thing used for all sorts of purposes, so likely not as large of a difference as here.

The common part between micro SD and switch carts is the nand chips and memory controllers, so the decreasing costs and increasing densities for micro SD is probably why we are hearing of new larger sizes for switch carts.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    https://www.play-asia.com/super-robot-wars-v-multi-language/13/70cwcn

The Japanese Multi-language release(including English) of the Switch port of Super Robot Wars V is currently on sale for $39.99. This is an extremely generous price for an SRW import so this will likely be the lowest it will ever be.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHjWEHQBg1Q

Also just announced yesterday for a summer localization, from A Rose in the Twilight and htoL#NiQ director Masayuki Furuya comes void tRrLM(); (Void Terrarium), NIS' latest installment of "don't let the cute little girl die horribly" simulators.

This time, it's going to be a roguelike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ZYbgGdSyk

PS4/Switch, LE pre-orders through the NISA store are currently the only way to secure it physically. (though this may of course change)

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

The Japanese Multi-language release(including English) of the Switch port of Super Robot Wars V is currently on sale for $39.99. This is an extremely generous price for an SRW import so this will likely be the lowest it will ever be.

Finally bought this. Thank you for sharing!

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Probably slightly more expensive, but manufacturing mini discs was a thing used for all sorts of purposes, so likely not as large of a difference as here.

The common part between micro SD and switch carts is the nand chips and memory controllers, so the decreasing costs and increasing densities for micro SD is probably why we are hearing of new larger sizes for switch carts.

It would be like gamecube discs also had notches along the top that fit into specific proprietary slots on the console, and the discs were made out of a different material than regular DVDs, and they were thicker so you'd need to adjust manufacturing lines for that, and then they had to be treated with a different chemical because why not.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

How is this series? Looks interesting.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Disks are just plastic, though. No metal or electronic gubbins. Just press some polycarbonate.
    They would probably be more expensive, still, but not by as much.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Disks are just plastic, though. No metal or electronic gubbins. Just press some polycarbonate.

Little differences can add up when we're talking of a scale of hundreds of thousands or millions.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

It would be like gamecube discs also had notches along the top that fit into specific proprietary slots on the console, and the discs were made out of a different material than regular DVDs, and they were thicker so you'd need to adjust manufacturing lines for that, and then they had to be treated with a different chemical because why not.

I seem to remember that GameCube discs had the tracks written on them the opposite way that all other DVDs did. That might have increased costs as well.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Little differences can add up when we're talking of a scale of hundreds of thousands or millions.

Sure, and that just makes cartridges even more expensiver than disks.

and disks are pressed, not written. what you're pressing is irrelevant to the cost of manufacture, you're just stamping things on polycarbonate.
    Now the cost of mastering it I have no idea. But that would be an issue regardless of the size of the disk.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

How is this series? Looks interesting.

It's a series of tactics style games. They tend to not be too hard, and focus more on the fanservice end (fanservice as in all sorts of fun references to stuff, not tits. Though, admittedly, this being Banpresto, the occasional tits are also a thing). If you've ever wanted to have a game where you get to see Kouji Kabuto shoot the shit with Kamina and Ryoma Nagare, this is your series.

That said, all my friends who are into the series recommended me to go for X over V if at all possible, since apparently they're fairly similar but X is generally better.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    htoL#NiQ
    void tRrLM();

And people give Kingdom Hearts grief for stupid titles....

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    This Disgaea Prinny spinoffs are coming to Switch this fall as Prinny 1-2: Exploded and Reloaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEOp2cYqBZo

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    That's gonna destroy a few joycons. I almost broke my PSP playing the original due to extreme button-mashing in order to get in as much damage as possible during the (timed) last boss' brief vulnerability windows. Fun games, but quite challenging. Excellent music too.

Cururu on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The likes of Mario Maker 2, Mario Party, and Yoshi are $50 in Canada right now. Which is pretty much as low as it's ever gonna get for a first party title, not to mention how rarely they go on sale in the first place. So now's the time to bite if you're interested.

Looking forward to digging into SMM2 later. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I love this crazy Isabelle + Doomguy stuff so much.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    The absolute wholesomeness that has spawned out of the Doom and Animal crossing fandoms is just something of true beauty and i love everything about it.

• Options
    In an unironic context I would expect Nintendo to have rods in their rears about it, but a Switch port exclusive Isabelle will move copies for sure.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    This just doubles my hopes that the crazy-ass rumor Doomguy will be in Smash Bros. so the two can actually hang out.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

And it all happened simply because two very different games just so happened to share a release date.

It's a wonderful little accident.

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular

And it all happened simply because two very different games just so happened to share a release date.

Aren't we all?

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

The fluid nature of release dates probably makes this an accident, but in the movie industry this kind of thing is just counter-programming. Like when a rom-com opens the same weekend as an action spectacle.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    It's been a while since I've posted in this thread but....

hey DQXI is so much better when I found out you can use DQVIII's field music. Holy shit, the feels. I forgot about that song but once it started it takes me back. This game is PRETTY good.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Rune Factory is addicting. Please send help ... and some carrots. Forgot how good 4 was, 65ish hours later I definitely remember. Still have plenty of game left. Working on dating all the guys, getting all the crops, leveling all the crafting ... I'm told there's a story going too but really, I have crops to tend and boys to date.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I almost bought that, but I just fired up Stardew Valley again instead. Can’t get mired in another 100+ hour game this close to Animal Crossing

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    I almost bought that, but I just fired up Stardew Valley again instead. Can’t get mired in another 100+ hour game this close to Animal Crossing

Smart move for sure.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    akjak wrote: »

Smart move for sure.

But due to the real time day/night cycle AC is limiting in binging. Gotta have a second obsession for when the shops are closed.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391