Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Elin wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    akjak wrote: »
    I almost bought that, but I just fired up Stardew Valley again instead. Can’t get mired in another 100+ hour game this close to Animal Crossing

Smart move for sure.

But due to the real time day/night cycle AC is limiting in binging. Gotta have a second obsession for when the shops are closed.

Doom.

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    That's what Doom Eternal is for! ...unfortunate that it's not coming out on the Switch for a while, but that gives you time to recharge the console anyway.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular

So Reggie is now going to be on the board of directors at Gamestop.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Elin wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    akjak wrote: »
    I almost bought that, but I just fired up Stardew Valley again instead. Can’t get mired in another 100+ hour game this close to Animal Crossing

Smart move for sure.

But due to the real time day/night cycle AC is limiting in binging. Gotta have a second obsession for when the shops are closed.

That’s ok, I have a real small child limiting my binging anyway.

Hey, remember when we all abandoned our New Leaf towns (briefly) for a new Pokemon game? Now the reverse is about to happen.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Talith wrote: »

This is the first time in history, I'm actually of the mindset that Gamestop could be a good thing. Not holding my breath though unless they give him unlimited control

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Yo Gamestop, Mother 3 when???

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Just an FYI on "The Board".

The Board of Directors represent the shareholder's interests. Most people on a Board of Directors have no day to day involvement with the company and merely oversee senior exes and matters of stocks (for the most part). Being on the Board of Directors is by no means a full time job for most people. It is pretty common for people to serve on multiple Boards for many different companies.

In this particular case Reggie is one of those people. An independent.

edit- It is basically a pretty easy job and a nice paycheck for people who are of a certain caliber, I suppose.

edit 2- Boards don't meet all the time, it may vary, but generally at least once a month. If some scandal occurs then certainly far more often.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Basically, don't expect any actual strategy or tactic shift from Gamestop because they put someone you like on their board of directors.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    With the writing on the wall regarding Gamestop's demise, I sort of wonder why Reggie is taking on this particular job. Granted, I don't think an individual member of a board of directors is responsible for a whole lot, he can't turn around and pull a 2004 E3 for Gamestop and turn the company around, it's just kind of odd. Maybe he's in it for the easy money before the whole thing burns down.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    ouchies wrote: »
    With the writing on the wall regarding Gamestop's demise, I sort of wonder why Reggie is taking on this particular job. Granted, I don't think an individual member of a board of directors is responsible for a whole lot, he can't turn around and pull a 2004 E3 for Gamestop and turn the company around, it's just kind of odd. Maybe he's in it for the easy money before the whole thing burns down.

If somebody wanted to put me on the strategy board for the "ship that is currently sinking" committee and I never had to actually board the ship? Sure why not, I'll do my best.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    If I were a Gamestop employee I'd see Reggie being added to the board as a morale booster, since he seems like someone who'd rather the company exist than gut it and sell its parts for cash. Too bad the other people announced at the same time look like they fit in the latter bucket, so whatever spark of hope Reggie might have triggered has thoroughly been stomped out.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I don't disagree the videogames could still use brick and mortar stores, but from everything I've heard, I'm not convinced GameStop should be that store.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I don't disagree the videogames could still use brick and mortar stores, but from everything I've heard, I'm not convinced GameStop should be that store.

I think the various big box stores have more or less cornered that market - GameStop doesn't really offer any value over them. They're a source for getting used games for older systems, but that's a small market.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Just an FYI on "The Board".

The Board of Directors represent the shareholder's interests. Most people on a Board of Directors have no day to day involvement with the company and merely oversee senior exes and matters of stocks (for the most part). Being on the Board of Directors is by no means a full time job for most people. It is pretty common for people to serve on multiple Boards for many different companies.

In this particular case Reggie is one of those people. An independent.

That's an incredibly cynical view. Probably close to reality for a lot of companies...but very successful companies also make full use of their Board of Directors to help make major organizational decisions. If someone's coming in with big ideas on how to help fundamentally change a business, being on the board of directors isn't a bad place to start. In some ways, it's a great "no-risk" way to dip your toes in the water, and can potentially lead to an actual leadership role inside the company.

Somebody coming onto Gamestop's board with the gravitas of a guy like Reggie could make some monumental changes. I'm sure he's coming to the role with more in mind that just managing stocks to generate shareholder value. I guess we can look towards his record at Nintendo, right? Was he more interested in creating a healthy business that put the needs of gamers as the highest priority, or did he spend 15 years at Nintendo maximizing share prices?

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

This is the first time in history, I'm actually of the mindset that Gamestop could be a good thing. Not holding my breath though unless they give him unlimited control

This seems fucking nuts to me. Literally, the only way I can see something like Gamestop surviving is if they manage some sort of enormous strategy change where they can somehow morph into a corporate version of our classic mom/pop video game store where kids can go and actually hang out without being asked to sell their phones or subscribe to GameInformer.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Huh. I guess Reggie really didn't have a long-term plan when he left Nintendo.

...which isn't a criticism! If I had the means to quit my day job and just take interesting gigs as they come up, I'd totally do it too.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i mean he probably has enough cash in the bank that he didn't need a plan

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Well he is retired, but still on the board of Cornell University's Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management and now Gamestop too. So I guess this is just what the rich business elites consider part time work you do for fun during retirement.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Huh. Considering the fun of most of the LEGO games, and Mario games, this should be good?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

Ah so that's why my wallet started crying

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    As far as I can tell, there are no pre-order bonuses for Animal Crossing, are there? Any reason I should pre-order this?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Huh. Considering the fun of most of the LEGO games, and Mario games, this should be good?

It could be a Lego game, or it could be Lego sets. Or is Nintendo still under contract with whichever not-Lego company that made the not-Lego Mario Kart stuff?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    As far as I can tell, there are no pre-order bonuses for Animal Crossing, are there? Any reason I should pre-order this?

There are, but the bundles are selling out instantly. I snagged the Target one (a fancy journal)

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Well he is retired, but still on the board of Cornell University's Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management and now Gamestop too. So I guess this is just what the rich business elites consider part time work you do for fun during retirement.

Lots of boards basically just exist to introduce you to their friends. And get paid more money a week than most people make in a year.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I've been waiting for XC2 to go on sale pretty much since it came out and it never has (in canada) so I finally said fuck it and just bought a used copy while I was off work last week..annnnndddd i've already sunk 40 hours into it and this is easily my favourite switch game, wihch is really surprising as I wasn't a huge fan of XC1 on the Wii (could never figure out where i was going and just wandered aimlessly, with too many quests for nothing) anyway really sad I waited all this time to pick it up

edit; and Re: Reggie/gamestop, it seems like a poor choice to me, money is probably of no concern to him, and tainting your legacy by associating w/ gamestop just seems not worth it.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Welcome to the xc2 club!

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    I've been waiting for XC2 to go on sale pretty much since it came out and it never has (in canada) so I finally said fuck it and just bought a used copy while I was off work last week..annnnndddd i've already sunk 40 hours into it and this is easily my favourite switch game, wihch is really surprising as I wasn't a huge fan of XC1 on the Wii (could never figure out where i was going and just wandered aimlessly, with too many quests for nothing) anyway really sad I waited all this time to pick it up

edit; and Re: Reggie/gamestop, it seems like a poor choice to me, money is probably of no concern to him, and tainting your legacy by associating w/ gamestop just seems not worth it.

I can't get over the "big-boobied robot(ish) servant girls who live to serve you" trope. I would have eaten that shit up as a younger man, but as an old, it just grosses me out.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »

It could be a Lego game, or it could be Lego sets. Or is Nintendo still under contract with whichever not-Lego company that made the not-Lego Mario Kart stuff?

I'd put my money on Lego sets. The Lego video games are so run of the mill and cookie cutter, not to mention the over-abundance of them, that I doubt Nintendo would want to let their characters be used in one of those games. On the other hand, $$$

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Anybody else played Roombo? It's pretty fun for $5 although I'm not terribly far into it. You kill people as a Roomba and then clean up the mess. It's pretty charming.

• Options

I can't get over the "big-boobied robot(ish) servant girls who live to serve you" trope. I would have eaten that shit up as a younger man, but as an old, it just grosses me out.
    I grew up from a creepy younger man into a creepy old man so I'm ok with it :bigfrown:

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

It took me a minute, but Pyra is the second or third most interesting character in a game I think is full of them and once I got to a point where I could proper grind and start optimizing stats and equipment and abilities and combos and stuff I sank deeeep into XC2.

I salvaged a lot.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Yeah, I wrote off the game originally for that reason, buy have since been thirsty enough for an RPG that I want it, but NOT enough to pay full price. I think it's been on sale maybe 3 times ever in the US, and I always hesitated too long.

Now I'm just being stubborn and may wait for the XC1 remake.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    My biggest gripe with XC2 was the combat.

There's a lot of words going into it but once you break it on down it ends up feeling way too simple and non-interactive.

It felt like they tried to go for something in between action combat and not action combat yet somehow ended up losing a lot of the good stuff in the process.

Plus the random system for getting more Blades was completely at odds with the combo system which made it end up feeling even more simplified.

I overall enjoyed my time with the game because the world itself was cool and interesting. But (besides the stuff mentioned above) the combat really let me down.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The same thing happened to me with XC2 as XC1 where I eventually got super bored with the combat towards the end of the game and stopped wanting to do it at all, but you needed to do a lot of it to stay level with the enemies, so I just gave up and never finished.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Re:xc2s combat, I think I'm willing to forgive A lot since the last switch rpg I played was octopath...which had the most godawful boring grindy combat I've ever encountered, xc2 is heavenly in comparison

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The thing about XC2's combat is that it essentially has two combat systems: one where you don't use art recharge speed boosters and one where you do. The second combat system is significantly more fun.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Yeah basically. A Board only has to meet once a year . Depending on the corporation they might meet once a month in the more extreme cases or more likely once each quarter.

90% of the time it is a do-nothing job and its members are often picked for PR reasons or for networking. Husbands, wives and other assorted family of Politicians are very often on multiple Boards for no other reason then for who they are connected to.

It is also fairly common for prominent business folk who retire to join various Boards. This scales from small time stuff to the big leagues. The person who owns a local chain of grocery stores in your home town retires and probably ends up on a board for another local business. Or a known and respected name like Reggie's ends up with a big corporation.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    The saddest thing about Gamestop is that they absorbed ThinkGeek which carried so many fun gadgets and memorabilia (now filling GS's stores). I wish we were in the world where predatory preorder/magazine/"game insurance" pushers could die off without affecting the nice geek stuff.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    My biggest gripe with XC2 was the combat.

There's a lot of words going into it but once you break it on down it ends up feeling way too simple and non-interactive.

It felt like they tried to go for something in between action combat and not action combat yet somehow ended up losing a lot of the good stuff in the process.

Plus the random system for getting more Blades was completely at odds with the combo system which made it end up feeling even more simplified.

I overall enjoyed my time with the game because the world itself was cool and interesting. But (besides the stuff mentioned above) the combat really let me down.

The bolded is the biggest thing for me. The one and only thing I ever took into consideration about what the enemy was doing, ever, was whether this kind of enemy is the kind that will fart on you if you stand behind it. No, really. Other than that, I managed to clear every encounter with "stack orbs, chain attack to break orbs, win fight".

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.