As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I had every intention of attempting fresh gnocchi this week, but before I could get the ingredients on a shopping list my wife unprompted came home from Trader Joe's (RIP) with a big bag of theirs, so I took the lazy route to cook club solidarity. Here's Trader Joe's gnocchi sauteed with broccoli and spinach in a brown butter/romano/gorgonzola sauce.

3sa6kdeef5hz.jpg

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Gnocci was good! A little too soft, if I'm honest, but I learned a lot about how the dough works. We made pesto for it that was supposed to be creamy buuuuuuut my cream went bad so I threw some butter and milk into it and it did okay. It's tasty!

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Phew. Gumbo recipes are up! Though perhaps those forumers in or from Louisiana wouldn't mind sharing their own recipes / recommendations :D

I can't really recall where my personal recipe came from--some really old Geocities-like site that since has gone down or gotten pushed far off of Google's first page. I like adding tomatoes, occasionally add okra or filé (but often neither), usually include chicken thighs and shrimp and Wyborn always goes on a trip to the one of two places downtown where we can find andouille sausage.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I have my literal long lost uncle's recipe, who was raised in a suburb of New Orleans. Was adopted out in 1951 as a newborn and contacted my mother when he discovered he had cancer in 1992. My mother inherited his recipes, and among them is the following gumbo recipe:
    1 1/4lb boneless skinless chicken breast
    3/4lb andouille sausage
    1 medium diced green bell pepper
    1/2 medium diced onion (yellow or sweet)
    3/4 cup diced celery
    1 1/2 cup AP flour
    1 cup vegetable oil
    2 tbsp garlic powder
    2 tbsp salt
    1 tbsp cayenne
    1 tsp chopped thyme
    1 tsp paprika
    4 cloves minced garlic
    8 cups chicken broth

Season the chicken with half the garlic powder, salt and cayenne. Mix remaining spices with flour. Heat oil in a saucepan until glistening (doesn't say heat, I'd say just below medium). Dredge chicken in the seasoned flour and add to oil, turning once, approximately 10 minutes per side. Remove chicken from heat and place on wire rack or paper towels.
    begin heating chicken broth over medium heat in a stock pot. Add remainder of seasoned flour to hot oil in saucepan, constantly whisking, to form a roux. Continue cooking and whisking until the roux is dark brown in color. Remove pan from heat and add diced vegetables. Return to heat, continue whisking until vegetables have softened, approximately 15 minutes over medium heat. Begin incorporating the vegetable and roux mixture into the chicken stock (one ladel or about 1/3 cup at a time), mixing well after each addition. Once all roux has been incorporated, add minced garlic and andouille (diced or sliced to your preference, I like about 1/4" - 1/2" slices) to the stock. Lower heat to medium low and continue cooking for about 45 minutes. Skim fat from the top of the gumbo (there will be a lot, cup, cup and a half worth) and add the chicken (chopped or diced to your preferred size, I again like 1/4" - 3/8" cubes) to the gumbo, continue cooking for 10 minutes. Serve over cajun rice or dirty rice or red beans and rice, whichever you prefer.

It should also be noted this recipe is like 100 years old, and somehow contains no okra. If you like okra in your gumbo, cut down the celery to about 1/2 a cup and add a cup of diced okra and add it into the cooking process at the same step as the celery. Next time I make this I'll weigh everything out and do a gram conversion, but I don't think I'll be making it until next December or so. If you don't like green peppers, I'd recommend doing a really coarse chop on them and removing the chunks from the roux before incorporating into the stock, it's how I do it. I hate biting into a green pepper, but I don't mind the flavor a bit more evenly dispersed.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    sounds like your long lost uncle was a smart man and didn't like okra

• Options
    I love okra.

I dunno that I’ll be doing the Gumbo this week, we planned to do green curry for the week.

• Options
    gumbo is my favorite food

I go out during the last full moon in August every year to pick enough sassafras leaves to make a years worth of file

• Options
    That sounds like a real magical time

(I wish filé was easier to get up here too... I picked up an extra bottle when we went to Louisiana last week)

signature.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    what state are you in?

pretty sure sassafras grows in the 48 lower states

edit: nope

iowf8htby8x0.jpg

Xaquin on
  • Options
    I'm in Ontario! :D

It's apparently a "rare tree" (whoa I didn't realize tree, I was imagining some sort of... climbing plant?) that can only grow as far north as Toronto. Young saplings were (re?)introduced into a giant park in the city about 7 years ago... I suppose I could go take a look!

They turn a lovely red in the fall, looks like! <3

signature.png
  • Options
    they are a very beautiful tree!

they also grow by (I don't know the correct term) small saplings growing out of the root network of the adjacent trees. When I go walking, I'll occasionally stumble on an entire grove of sassafras in various stages of growth. In the fall, they'll be a whole forest of red and yellow =)

I should really find a recently dead or dying one to fashion into a guitar

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Huh. I grew up occasionally foraging sassafras in the wild and making tea from it. But I've never heard of filé powder. It has a spicy flavor and acts as a thickening agent in okra-less gumbo? Cool!!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Iolo wrote: »
    Huh. I grew up occasionally foraging sassafras in the wild and making tea from it. But I've never heard of filé powder. It has a spicy flavor and acts as a thickening agent in okra-less gumbo? Cool!!

it's definitely not spicy! It's got kind of a mellow root beer flavor to it. I can taste the difference when it's not present but I couldn't put my finger on the exact flavor it adds.

edit: and it does thicken the gumbo a bit

Xaquin on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Re: Roman-style semolina gnocchi.

For the second round, I topped it with some marinara sauce, which made it even more delicious. And made it even more clear that this is not food that I would ever serve to anyone else. This is straight-up self-destructive hedonism, but not the kind that people thank you for.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Think I'm gonna try a seafood gumbo this weekend, maybe do Shrimp and Scallop if I can. I don't like okra much though (its fine I guess but not my favorite) so I'll try and get my hands on some filé

• Options
    Ooh, scallop--how decadent <3

I'll probably fall back on my usual andouille-chicken thigh-shrimp combo, though I've been meaning to make a better base using shrimp shells

signature.png
  • Options
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Ooh, scallop--how decadent <3

I'll probably fall back on my usual andouille-chicken thigh-shrimp combo, though I've been meaning to make a better base using shrimp shells

ohh that reminds me I made a bunch of shrimp stock from the shells leftover from gnocchi

• Options
    I caught up

(Is this cheating? :lol: )

Chicken Tikka Masala
    bru6ypcei4ng.png

I used the Cafe Delites recipe. Eyeballed all the ingredients since I had nearly double the amount of chicken thighs. It's a bit spicy but not too spicy! And... goodness, I used a lot of whipping cream, and you can taste that too. Very enjoyable.

signature.png
  • Options
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    What's the fenugreek content like?

This is important.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    There is 0% fenugreek unfortunately--I couldn't find any at the store I went to! It's definitely an ingredient I can buy elsewhere in the city so I'll have to pick some up next time.

signature.png
  • Options
    I think maybe I won't make my own andouille

Don't feel like linking and smoking this weekend

but I'm definitely going to make gumbo

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I didn't think it possible, but I made my gumbo too thick and flavorful (halved the recipe but woops not the spices) and had to add water back to it!

j59FNkAl.jpg

Gallery:
    http://imgur.com/a/w5mWqpt

Changes:
    Used ghee bc I had it left over from the curry week
    Added sage to fried veggie stage
    Doubled spice (accidentally)
    Used bacon ends instead of ham hock

Notes:
    Took way too long to make the ruex, would start hotter next time to get it Browning faster, I'm not sure if the ghee had anything to do with it.
    Maybe too much spice...maybe
    Would use more bacon and sage next time

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Looks like I will be smoking my own andouille since the grocery store is sold out =/

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I have sausage making in my blood, but I've been hesitant to dive in myself

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Oh, just finding this thread. I'm happy that you are including a vegetarian option. Will be giving that Vegetarian gumbo a shot on saturday, tempted to add Tony's to it but I will stick to recipe at first.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I have sausage making in my blood, but I've been hesitant to dive in myself

It was money up front because I didn't like my manual grinder so I got an electric. the electric does great grinding but is terrible for linking so I got a stuffer by LEM which is a god send.

all told, it was probably $200 up front, but I can make 5lbs of the best sausage I've ever had for maybe $7

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I would attempt making my own sausages but... andouille needs to be smoked, yes? Alas I have no way of getting a smoker.
    Oh, just finding this thread. I'm happy that you are including a vegetarian option. Will be giving that Vegetarian gumbo a shot on saturday, tempted to add Tony's to it but I will stick to recipe at first.

No problem! If there are other food specifications people have, just let me know. :D

edit: Also it's always worth adding Tony's!

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I have a smoker because of Sir Fabulous!

also, I'm building a larger one this fall

edit: chicken is roasted and stripped. bones and skin are currently simmering with onions, carrots, celery, pepper corns, thyme, an apple, one dried cascabell pepper, and a glug of brandy to make fresh stock

edit2: stock is strained and smells amazing

aqswc7v1b28w.jpg

Xaquin on
  • Options
    andouille is linked

gonna smoke them tomorrow!

pmmzwy51f1aq.jpg

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I went shopping for gumbo ingredients and my grocery store does not sell andouille. I ended up buying some chorizo but it's clearly not the same. I was also unable to get okra. I even checked a small grocery store that normally carries it, but they were sold out. This combined with the fact that I was planning on omitting celery because celery sucks and I hate it, means I'm kind of short on ingredients. I'm not sure if it's worth it to make.

We'll see. It doesn't matter to me if the sausage is exactly right but I wanted okra in my gumbo.

• Options
    chorizo will probably be great!

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Yeah, I was mad that I forgot the okra when I got ingredients today, but to be fair grocery shopping in Seattle is a little unnerving right now. Good news is social distancing means I have all the time in the world to stand over the stove and try to get the roux right.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I think we’re still making green curry for the week

But right now we’re going to get peppers and buns to make cheese steaks because I saw a picture in my Facebook feed.

sarukun on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Stores too sold out, bowing out this week :(

Between travel the past couple weeks and the virus I can't catch a cook club break

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    If I can find some smoked sausage, I'll try this one out today. If not... I won't! But it sounds delicious. :D

Edit: Update, found some linguica! It'll have to do. The grocery store was out of quite a bit of stuff. Went ahead and grabbed some dry goods and canned items to have on hand. It's getting a bit eerie.

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Might have to take a rain check on that gumbo, grocery shopping wasn't as successful as I'd hope. A lot of vegetables were sold out, maybe i'll wait a few days to pick up some stuff.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    COVID strikes the cook club!

It's OK not to have okra--I tend to not add it all that often, despite liking it. The roux will make things plenty thick

The one of two places that sells andouille here was out, but Wyborn got recommended the house smoked sausage, which honestly smells amazing.

signature.png
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    My gumbo that has no okra, no celery, and no smoked sausage is simmering now. I added a couple drops of liquid smoke, because I had some in my cupboard and why not? Not enough to really taste. I'm sure my chorizo is just fine, but it feels like I'm not making proper gumbo.

I'm using this recipe

• Options