As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The JEDI Saga: Military / Industry Relations Get Complex [AWS v. USA]

ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changedRegistered User regular
edited February 2020 in Debate and/or Discourse
This contract has come up in a few threads over the years, thought it might be worth its own now that it seems to be headed for a Bezos vs Trump proxy war in the courts.

The Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure (JEDI) is a $10 billion dollar cloud computing program that was awarded to Microsoft over Amazon [Web Services] in fall 2019 and protested almost immediately by Amazon.

The Players:

Amazon: One of two finalists. Won the contract to develop the CIA's cloud infrastructure, making it the only cloud provider with past performance in classified govt cloud administration and the strong favorite to win. Also the only cloud provider with experience in having their CEO personally attacked by the President on Twitter.

Oracle: Eliminated from consideration early on, protested selection criteria (and failed), alleging that the requirements had been intentionally written so strictly that only Amazon could qualify to bid.

Microsoft: The second of two finalists. Also does clouds, but, if they're being honest with themselves, probably just as surprised by all of this as anyone else.

The President of the United States: Openly trash talked / has a personal axe to grind with Amazon, (presumably) directed Sec Esper to review the award process.

Secretary Mark Esper: recused himself from the JEDI award process a few days after the award decision was made.

The current controversy:

Amazon alleged, in November, that Microsoft did not qualify for the source criteria to begin with, and that the government later altered the proposal requirements to downplay Amazon's advantages in areas where Microsoft could not compete, and that the President was exerting inappropriate influence over the award process.

In their most recent filing, Monday, Amazon has requested to depose several members of the JEDI source selection board, fmr Defense Secretary Mattis, the Pentagon's CIO, Secretary Esper, and President Trump based, partially, on the fact that President made [up?] a bunch of dumb-shit claims about things he's 'heard', and they are entitled to review the underlying record should it actually exist.
The preservation of public confidence in the nation’s procurement process requires discovery and supplementation of the administrative record, particularly in light of President Trump’s order to ‘screw Amazon.’ The question is whether the President of the United States should be allowed to use the budget of the DoD to pursue his own personal and political ends.

The article notes that, based on case law, the depositions requested are ambitious at best; but also that the President has never so blatantly appeared to put his thumb on the scale such that there might be a sufficient public interest in more rigorous transparency.

ArbitraryDescriptor on

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    LetThemFight.gif

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    unfortunately the obvious answer is yes, the president can use the DoD's budget for his own political ends. We've answered that definitively and Bezos should probably just spend his lawyer's fees on campaigning against the President, because nothing else can stop him from doing literally whatever he wants.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    unfortunately the obvious answer is yes, the president can use the DoD's budget for his own political ends. We've answered that definitively and Bezos should probably just spend his lawyer's fees on campaigning against the President, because nothing else can stop him from doing literally whatever he wants.

Eh, they may be able to drag it out in court long enough to get a new administration.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Bezos only cares because it cost Amazon money

His goal is to make crossing Amazon harder, not chastise the President

If he wanted to chastise the President he has several billion more ways to do that

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »

Eh, they may be able to drag it out in court long enough to get a new administration.

The actual goal here is to demonstrate malfeasance in an award process that already happened to reverse the decision or start over, which isn't, afaik, something the now or future POTUS can actually affect. Trump gave them ammo so they're using it, but I suspect this will ultimately come down to whether someone we've never heard of in the contracting office or on the evaluation teams broke a rule.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    I can't be the only one who thought this a dig at Episode 1's opening crawl in a slightly premature new Star Wars thread (but it is at 96 pages!).

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    The whole shit show between Amazon and Microsoft has got me curious seeing how I'm currently receiving DoD training on cloud virtualization and one of the classes that I plan to take for my online IT degree program (with WGU) features AWS as part of the curriculum.
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    I can't be the only one who thought this a dig at Episode 1's opening crawl in a slightly premature new Star Wars thread (but it is at 96 pages!).

Cloud Wars: Episode 0, Attack of the Orange Menace's Revenge.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah this JEDI contract was pretty lucrative for my company. As soon as it went through everyone's review requires some sort of certification in Azure (whether it's architect or developer).

• Options
    DOD said they would defer non-preliminary work on JEDI until 'at least Feb 11' and the judge was asked to decide on Amazon's motion to halt it by then; but I can't find anything on that.

I even finally signed up for PACER to dig into it a bit, but it gives me an access denied on whatever TRO was filed Jan 22. Though it also looks to me like the motions to depose were filed weeks ago, contrary to what has been reported, so maybe I just need to RTFM?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I clicked on this to very gently scold the OP because I thought they'd re-started the Star Wars thread before it got to 100 pages. Never mind!

• Options
    There it is:

Court orders work stoppage on JEDI

But it's not all good news for AWS, they have to put up, gasp, fourty two million dollars in case it turns out that they were pulling the judge's leg.
    Amazon is required to set up a security fund of $42 million that will be used to pay damages if the court later finds the injunction was improper.

That will teach them.

No details on the specifics of the TRO, all of this stuff seems to be getting filed under seal.
    Understandably, given every other word is probably national defense information or a trade secret, but still disappointing as a spectator.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Man 42 million? Bezos probably had to dig around in the couch cushions to come up with that.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Like .03% of Bezos net worth? Probs worth it just to be a dick to Trump.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    There it is:

Court orders work stoppage on JEDI

But it's not all good news for AWS, they have to put up, gasp, fourty two million dollars in case it turns out that they were pulling the judge's leg.
    Amazon is required to set up a security fund of $42 million that will be used to pay damages if the court later finds the injunction was improper.

That will teach them.

No details on the specifics of the TRO, all of this stuff seems to be getting filed under seal.
    Understandably, given every other word is probably national defense information or a trade secret, but still disappointing as a spectator.
    The 42 million dollars is proper. The rules on protests were changed that if the protest is seen as frivolous the protester can be made to pay the additional costs the government accrued. And right now the government is accruing costs on extended overhead that Microsoft is owed.

Honestly this was going to end in a protest and lawsuit no matter who won. The president really made it a lot harder on their acquisition folks to win the protest though. I've been on both sides of a protest (for much smaller contracts) and it's going to be if the selection criteria was changed after Amazon and Microsoft made the final 2. If the selection criteria was given to the finalists and was what was used for the acquisition. Microsoft will likely not prevail. If the selection criteria was changed after the final 2 were announced. Amazon will likely prevail.

This is going to be tough for amazon to win.

As someone who's been on many selection boards and the KO said this when we had some new people. "The selection criteria does not have to be fair, but it has to be given to the bidders in advance, and it has to be uniformly applied. If we want we can judge people on how purple the hat is they wear during the presentations. But we have to tell them how we are grading the shading of purple and the parameters on what we refer to as a hat."

He was joking but only kind of.

zepherin on
  • Options

And/Or Microsoft. I'll wager they're far more upset that Microsoft took what they were convinced was theirs, and Trump is just an excuse. As MS noted, they could have protested most of the substantiative procedural stuff when it happened, but they didn't because they still thought they had this.

I'm curious what that figure is meant to cover. It's a 10 year/ $10b contract, and that conveniently matches a linear burn rate of $4.16m/day for 10 days, but two weeks doesn't seem like enough time to sort anything out.

• Options
    edited February 2020

And/Or Microsoft. I'll wager they're far more upset that Microsoft took what they were convinced was theirs, and Trump is just an excuse. As MS noted, they could have protested most of the substantiative procedural stuff when it happened, but they didn't because they still thought they had this.

I'm curious what that figure is meant to cover. It's a 10 year/ $10b contract, and that conveniently matches a linear burn rate of $4.16m/day for 10 days, but two weeks doesn't seem like enough time to sort anything out.
    Extended overhead. They don't get the whole shebang for that period (because they haven't done any work and only get paid for work they've done), only that contracts portion of utilities rent, management and other costs. It's a whole thing, and on a contract that size the costs will be audited.

zepherin on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    zepherin wrote: »

Extended overhead. They don't get the whole shebang for that period (because they haven't done any work and only get paid for work they've done), only that contracts portion of utilities rent, management and other costs. It's a whole thing, and on a contract that size the costs will be audited.

Makes sense, those would be fixed costs MS is inarguably having to eat.

They've been doing "light preliminary" work with DOD, and my understanding was they were ready to change gears soon; so I was thinking the penalty would be meant to cover some portion of revenue that they were scheduled to charge the govt over the course of the stoppage, and which they would not be able to recoup; but that would be more practical to address after the protest is settled.

Edit: Oh! Didn't see your first reply. :+1:

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Makes sense, those would be fixed costs MS is inarguably having to eat.

They've been doing "light preliminary" work with DOD, and my understanding was they were ready to change gears soon; so I was thinking the penalty would be meant to cover some portion of revenue that they were scheduled to charge the govt over the course of the stoppage, and which they would not be able to recoup; but that would be more practical to address after the protest is settled.

Edit: Oh! Didn't see your first reply. :+1:
    Projected revenue is generally not allowed because they’ll still get 10 years. They can charge rent on materials they have in their warehouse if the govt has accepted the materials. Same with equipment they rented to do the work. They will definitely get to bill for the hours they spent doing the preliminary work, but that’s likely to be severely prorated. IE maybe 3 or 4 thousand for the pm and some engineers having a few meetings and billing to the project. But that’s heavily scrutinized and so much less than the extended overhead.

If there is a health and wellness increase Or a prevailing wage increase during the period of time of the protest they’ll get that too.

zepherin on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The other problem is , how many get fired to cover the 42 million , cause no way Bezos just takes that hit personally

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    The other problem is , how many get fired to cover the 42 million , cause no way Bezos just takes that hit personally

I don't think that is how the CEO/company fines relationship works. Unless you meant bezos takes a hit cause Amazon stock price goes down from a 42million loss...which is a stretch.

For example, Microsoft's stock actually went up $0.15 in after hours trading after a judge ordered they stop working on JEDI.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Probably nobody because it’s Amazon’s wallet and they’re not powered by earnings, they’re powered by hopes of ever-more monopolization potential

• Options
    edited February 2020
    https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/02/13/amazon-gets-restraining-order-to-block-microsoft-work-on-pentagon-jedi.html?__twitter_impression=true

More detailed article, shamelessly stolen from @MorganV
    Amazon must file a notice with the courts indicating it has obtained the $42 million by Feb. 20. Microsoft and Amazon must respond to the filing by Feb. 27.

Article notes that MS has been staffing up hard only to put on an indefinite hold, and that's boat I am quite familiar with.

(It sucks. A lot.)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Probably nobody because it’s Amazon’s wallet and they’re not powered by earnings, they’re powered by hopes of ever-more monopolization potential

Amazon is and has been an amazingly profitable company in terms of earnings for a long while now - they aren't Uber or WeWork. If it wasn't for their continued and ridiculously bad labor practices, they would be a fairly good example of how we ideally want companies to act in end game capitalism in terms of reinvesting their wealth into new products and services rather than just stockpiling it.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Apart from whoever fucked up and lost the bid, probably no one. Bezos made $42mil while you were typing your post.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

Amazon is and has been an amazingly profitable company in terms of earnings for a long while now - they aren't Uber or WeWork. If it wasn't for their continued and ridiculously bad labor practices, they would be a fairly good example of how we ideally want companies to act in end game capitalism in terms of reinvesting their wealth into new products and services rather than just stockpiling it.

Yeah this is all true and also it’s true that Amazon’s PE ratio is driven still almost exclusively by their growth potential and not the already too fucking ridiculous profit

• Options
    Amazon won’t reduce jobs, they will just grow jobs less slowly as automation gives them efficiency opportunites

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I find this saga interesting as Azure (MS cloud) is definitely ahead of Amazon in regards to secure workloads and interactions. You can certainly get most things to work properly encrypted on Amazon, but there's a bunch you can't (and have to dig to find they aren't fully encrypted) and AWS does demand a certain level of data/model sharing in other places that's unpalatable for a lot of proprietary data.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    I find this saga interesting as Azure (MS cloud) is definitely ahead of Amazon in regards to secure workloads and interactions. You can certainly get most things to work properly encrypted on Amazon, but there's a bunch you can't (and have to dig to find they aren't fully encrypted) and AWS does demand a certain level of data/model sharing in other places that's unpalatable for a lot of proprietary data.
    Part of the Jedi buildout is to meet the DOD standards communication at a secret clearance level. If the information is stored outside of that it’s spillage, which is bad. If the information is deliberately spilled, that’s a federal felony. Which requires a substantial amount of work on the front end of any system. Amazon would have to comply with those standards even if initially only FOUO was stored there or bad things could happen. Same with Microsoft.

• Options
    Part of the Jedi buildout is to meet the DOD standards communication at a secret clearance level. If the information is stored outside of that it’s spillage, which is bad. If the information is deliberately spilled, that’s a federal felony. Which requires a substantial amount of work on the front end of any system. Amazon would have to comply with those standards even if initially only FOUO was stored there or bad things could happen. Same with Microsoft.

AWS has storage services to handle FOUO ('GovCloud', I think?) and a few tiers above it for Secret+; not sure if this includes their full suite of services (compute, etc).

• Options
    edited February 2020

AWS has storage services to handle FOUO ('GovCloud', I think?) and a few tiers above it for Secret+; not sure if this includes their full suite of services (compute, etc).
    They do FOUO, so does google and microsoft. I think they have advertised and open their doors to do business at a secret level. I don't know if they've gone through full enterprise accreditation. Nor will we know for some time because the accreditation process is classified.

zepherin on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Assuming that there is some half-assed legalese version of frivolous, which in regular English means without merit. Seems like there are four possible outcomes to this.

-Amazon's protest gets dismissed as frivolous. This seems like the least likely outcome because Trump has added plenty to argue that the process has been tainted. Even though 42 million is probably nothing for Amazon, they probably wouldn't pursue this if they didn't have a reason chance because they aren't just putting 42 million up for this, they are spending PR & personnel that could be spent elsewhere.

-Amazon loses, but the decision concludes their protest wasn't without merit and that there was enough fuckery to justify a protest and investigation. I'm less sure on this one because I don't know if frivolous is definted the same way in legalese. Seems like Trump has fucked around with the process enough that you could have an outcome where no one was unfairly rewarded the contract or unfairly denied, but the end result looks really shady until people dig deep. AKA someone would be within their rights to protest and not get punished for doing so.

-Amazon wins because it's found that the process wasn't probably followed because Trump didn't want them to have the contract.

-Judge concludes there was fuckery and to the extend that the whole process has to restarted and Trump told to STFO of it.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Mill wrote: »
    Assuming that there is some half-assed legalese version of frivolous, which in regular English means without merit. Seems like there are four possible outcomes to this.

-Amazon's protest gets dismissed as frivolous. This seems like the least likely outcome because Trump has added plenty to argue that the process has been tainted. Even though 42 million is probably nothing for Amazon, they probably wouldn't pursue this if they didn't have a reason chance because they aren't just putting 42 million up for this, they are spending PR & personnel that could be spent elsewhere.

-Amazon loses, but the decision concludes their protest wasn't without merit and that there was enough fuckery to justify a protest and investigation. I'm less sure on this one because I don't know if frivolous is definted the same way in legalese. Seems like Trump has fucked around with the process enough that you could have an outcome where no one was unfairly rewarded the contract or unfairly denied, but the end result looks really shady until people dig deep. AKA someone would be within their rights to protest and not get punished for doing so.

-Amazon wins because it's found that the process wasn't probably followed because Trump didn't want them to have the contract.

-Judge concludes there was fuckery and to the extend that the whole process has to restarted and Trump told to STFO of it.

You forgot two. These don't override the bolded, just add to the possibilities.

- Amazon wins, Trump orders the Pentagon to disregard it and keep the original tender. Constitutional crisis.

- Process is restarted, Trump disregards the STFO order, and any judicial override. Constitutional crisis.

With Trump, if you're not baking him disregarding the law into the potential outcomes, and the constitutional crisis's that eventuate, it's missing if not likely outcomes, then definitely possible ones.

After the Vindman/Stone/Comey (and now apparently Flynn) shit we've heard about in the past week since his "acquittal", I don't expect him to follow any court order without some kicking and screaming, or his staffers distracting him with balloons and brightly colored pieces of string. The Senate gave him carte blanche, and it appears he's decided to run with it.

EDIT: Apparently Trump is getting Barr to interfere with Flynn now too.

MorganV on
  • Options
    Another option is the pentagon negotiates a settlement with amazon offering them another contract or to settle another dispute.

10 billion dollars is tough though because there isn’t a lot on the market right now they can offer.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Another option is the pentagon negotiates a settlement with amazon offering them another contract or to settle another dispute.

10 billion dollars is tough though because there isn’t a lot on the market right now they can offer.

Amazon could maybe sell them some materials to build the Mexico wall. A couple billion more of the DoD budget was just reallocated, I believe

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

GovCloud has a majority of the services that regular cloud has. I belive it's missing a couple of ec2 instances.

I spent a year on a contract pricing out how much it would cost to move to the major clouds.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Amazon could maybe sell them some materials to build the Mexico wall. A couple billion more of the DoD budget was just reallocated, I believe
    Probably. Usually if there is some merit to the protest but they don’t want to change vendors. They’ll say hey you didn't win million dollar x contract. Instead how about we issue you y task order on this MACC you already have in place. Or hey you are fighting a cure notice on your idiq contract. We’ll resolve it in your favor, but you need to drop your protest.

Mexico wall only has potential if amazon has a contract in place.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Just as an update:
    The US Department of Defense on Thursday said it wishes to re-evaluate its decision to award the Pentagon's multibillion-dollar cloud contract with Microsoft, signaling a potential victory for Amazon in its protest of the award.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/tech/amazon-microsoft-department-of-defense-jedi/index.html

This is likely the start of a negotiated settlement I mentioned above.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Just as an update:
    The US Department of Defense on Thursday said it wishes to re-evaluate its decision to award the Pentagon's multibillion-dollar cloud contract with Microsoft, signaling a potential victory for Amazon in its protest of the award.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/tech/amazon-microsoft-department-of-defense-jedi/index.html

As the only real loser here is likely the taxpayers (it's not like Trump is actually personally harmed by any decision here), I really hope Bezos is a real dick to Trump about it.

Because the only way to actually hurt Trump, is to attack his ego. I mean, it's not like the courts can, or the Senate will, hold him accountable. And I just don't like the idea of Trump not paying any cost for being a petty dickhead.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    MorganV wrote: »
    Just as an update:

As the only real loser here is likely the taxpayers (it's not like Trump is actually personally harmed by any decision here), I really hope Bezos is a real dick to Trump about it.

Because the only way to actually hurt Trump, is to attack his ego. I mean, it's not like the courts can, or the Senate will, hold him accountable. And I just don't like the idea of Trump not paying any cost for being a petty dickhead.

If everything works as it should, the "best value" award criteria should get the tax payers the best deal for their money; as opposed to "lowest price, technically acceptable" (LPTA) where "technically acceptable" is as air-quotey as it sounds. So, in theory, the tax payers only lose if the protest process doesn't correct an error in the determination.

Which it may or may not. They unsealed the TRO order, so now we know the point on which the judge found Amazon highly likely to win was that Microsoft's storage solution didn't meet the requirements which gave them a pricing advantage.
    “The court considers it likely that [Amazon’s] chances of receiving the award would have increased absent defendant’s evaluation error,” the judge wrote. “Even if what appears to be a deficiency did not result in [Microsoft’s] elimination from competition, a reduction in the price advantage attributed by the Pricing Evaluation Board to [Microsoft’s] use of [redacted] storage likely would affect the price evaluation, which in turn, would affect the best value determination.”

Court documents show the DoD pricing evaluation board that helped inform the contract decision found that Microsoft’s data storage approach caused a “significant variance” in price between Amazon and Microsoft’s proposals.

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/defense-main/2020/03/new-court-documents-explain-reasoning-behind-jedi-stop-work-order/

Meant to post this last week, but refreshing the COVID-19 map every 15 minutes is a full-time job.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    MorganV wrote: »
    Just as an update:

Honestly there was going to be protest no matter what trump did. As much as I'd like to hit him for the costs, there was going to be a protest with all the costs associated with it no matter what. If Amazon would have won, Microsoft would have protested...Maybe Oracle again.
    Now Trump made it so much harder for the government to win. But cost wise, they likely would incur the same level of costs if they win or negotiate with Amazon for them to drop their protest.

zepherin on