As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bucks Win Championship Without Head Coach [NBA]

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Yeah, it sure was.

I wonder if Lebron promised the big fella a Finals MVP. It seems like they are force feeding him pretty persistently.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    burbo wrote: »
    Yeah, it sure was.

I wonder if Lebron promised the big fella a Finals MVP. It seems like they are force feeding him pretty persistently.

I think it’s more LeBron is so focused on winning at this point that he recognizes that the Heat don’t have an actual answer for AD, so he’s more than willing to take a backseat to him.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Lebron wants to win. He doesn’t care about his personal stats.

• Options
    I don’t know if the Lakers 3 point shooting is that sustainable, but these have all been open looks so far, and if the Heat are forced to play out to the line further it will just open them up to get attacked on the inside.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    In my 4-2 prediction, most Lakers wins are blowouts. Heat wins have teeth skin all over them.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Heat just have no answer for AD.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Who does though

• Options

Who does though

The Bucks are honestly the only team realistically. They can stick Giannis on AD and have the extra size to stay with the Lakers. Lakers also has a ton of issues with the Grizzlies for similar reasons, so that would have been an interesting series.

But really, this is more the Lakers zagging while the rest of the league zigged. Everyone became enamored with small ball lineups that the Lakers essentially said “what if we were just bigger than everyone else?” I would be fascinated to see this Lakers team against a fully-healthy Golden State, just to see if the Warriors could win that by just out-shooting LA.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Was size really intentional you think? Or is it just that you have Lebron and AD, and AD doesn't want to play center most of the time, so you're just gonna be big whether you like it or not?

• Options
    Was size really intentional you think? Or is it just that you have Lebron and AD, and AD doesn't want to play center most of the time, so you're just gonna be big whether you like it or not?

Size was a big thing with Pelinka since he became GM, and I think there’s a level of intentionality to it, especially considering how AD doesn’t like to play the 5.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Bam injuring himself by throwing his shoulder into Howard on a drive is a metaphor for this game.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Nirya wrote: »

Size was a big thing with Pelinka since he became GM, and I think there’s a level of intentionality to it, especially considering how AD doesn’t like to play the 5.

Well, intentional or not, its sure as hell working.

• Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

"Washed old man " - me, 2 rounds ago

• Options
    Lakers about to let the Heat back into the game just because they can.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    That was too easy.

I’m changing my pick

Lakers in 4

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    I actually half-expect the Lakers to lose the next game, just because they get way too complacent everything that happened in this one (Dragic done, Bam hurt, Butler prob not 100%). But I don't think the series will be competitive at this point.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Miami didn't even survive game 1

• Options
    Freakin LA MonStars.

• Options
    And my Spo is a bad coach senses were tingling when Derrick Jones Jr was the first off the bench instead of Olynik.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Olynik getting more minutes is not going to solve the AD problem.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    So it's going to be a finals sweep then?

• Options
    Nirya wrote: »

The key was making Lebron the actual point guard instead of having a short dude out there just because, even though Lebron did that dude’s job

• Options
    It's always easy to project a sweep from a game 1 blowout, but i feel like game 1s are often least representative of the series (see Laker g1 losses to Blazers and Rockets, blowout of Nugs who ended up playing them reasonably close). Obviously Heat health problems are concerning, but I'm not willing to get out any brooms yet.

• Options
    If Bam and Dragic are out, this series is super over.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Butters wrote: »
    If Bam and Dragic are out, this series is super over.

AD and/or Lebron could get hurt

Unfortunately, injuries to star players have been likely-deciding factors in 40% of the last 5 finals

Shit throw in Dray’s suspension in 2016 too

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    People complaining about Dray's suspension has always bugged me (not that you were necessarily complaining). He wasn't suspended for punching Lebron in the balls. He was suspended because he had been punching or kicking people in the balls all playoffs, and he hit a limit of techs/flagrants. Like, it's not arguable that punching Lebron in the nuts should have earned him a tech. It was only a suspension because he had been doing it all playoffs.

• Options
    Also, in the process of GS losing games 5-7 Dray was present for 2 of them. He played in 6 games and they lost half of them.

Bogut was legit knocked out of the series and I've argued for years that was an underrated event. It shifted the rebounding advantage decidedly in Cleveland's favor.

• Options
    If AD wins Finals MVP, do you think that will hurt Lebron's legacy?

In my mind, it doesn't hurt, of course, because that will mean Lebron gets another title while playing at an MVP level. I think for the MJ partisans, it will though. I think that for those people, Jordan's career has defined what greatness is for so long that any other player's greatness is that measured by how "MJ-like" it is. MJ always got Finals MVP, so any subsequent player must as well. It's not enough to dominate your opponent, you also have to dominate your teammates.

Its similar to how people look at Lebron's 3-6 in the Finals as a negative, because Jordan was 6-6, so they think 3-3 is somehow better than 3-6. As though it is better to lose in the first or second round than to lose in the finals (or to not even play basketball during your prime. You can't lose in the finals if you are off playing baseball!). I think for those MJ types, the only way to beat Jordan is to go 7-7, or 8-8, with all Finals MVPs or whatever in the finals. Anything else doesn't fit their definition of what greatness should look like.

• Options
    Lebron’s legacy is fine.

The Jordan fans aren’t going to ever admit Lebron is better no matter what he does.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I don't understand the rush. I don't think that he was going anywhere...

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    I don't understand the rush. I don't think that he was going anywhere...

Other teams were interested I believe. The rush was probably on the part of the 76ers

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
  • Options
    I don't really like Doc, but there are so few black coaches and black authority figures in the NBA, I'm glad to see him get another spot.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    is Embiid saying Coach Doc is washed

• Options
    edited October 2020
    If AD wins Finals MVP, do you think that will hurt Lebron's legacy?

In my mind, it doesn't hurt, of course, because that will mean Lebron gets another title while playing at an MVP level. I think for the MJ partisans, it will though. I think that for those people, Jordan's career has defined what greatness is for so long that any other player's greatness is that measured by how "MJ-like" it is. MJ always got Finals MVP, so any subsequent player must as well. It's not enough to dominate your opponent, you also have to dominate your teammates.

Its similar to how people look at Lebron's 3-6 in the Finals as a negative, because Jordan was 6-6, so they think 3-3 is somehow better than 3-6. As though it is better to lose in the first or second round than to lose in the finals (or to not even play basketball during your prime. You can't lose in the finals if you are off playing baseball!). I think for those MJ types, the only way to beat Jordan is to go 7-7, or 8-8, with all Finals MVPs or whatever in the finals. Anything else doesn't fit their definition of what greatness should look like.

Lebron will have been 2-2 with the Heat, likely 1-0 with the Lakers, and 1-4 with the Cavs. He only had Kyrie for 2 of those Cavs finals.

Lebron will have dragged those sorry Cavs rosters to 5 finals (2 different Cavs teams, too) and gone up against the Warriors dynasty 4 times. He’s been the best player in 7 or 8 of the previous finals and we’ll see what happens this year.

He’s actually probably the most iconic post season player in NBA history.

Captain Inertia on
This discussion has been closed.